Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 The Phantom of the Opera - New Trailer and Clip!! 
You must have big rats

Post The Phantom of the Opera - New Trailer and Clip!!
Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera is probably one of the most famous musicals ever, in the USA as well as worldwide. Throughout many years it has sold many millions of tickets worldwide and it is the second longest-played show at Broadway. It has been playing there for 19 years so far and the end doesn't seem close. The musical has made over $3.25 billion worldwide it ticket sales which is much more than Titanic, the most successful movie ever, has grossed worldwide. This year, Joel Schumacher is bringing this tragic and opulent tale to the silver screen.

The Phantom of the Opera has a cast full with new faces of cinema, like Emily Rossum, Gerard Butler and Patrick Wilson.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the besaics for the movie:

Release Date: December 22, 2004 (limited; wider release: January 21, 2005)
Director: Joel Schumacher
Starring: Gerard Butler, Emmy Rossum, Patrick Wilson, Miranda Richardson, Minnie Driver
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for brief violent images)
Plot Summary: "Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera" tells the story of a disfigured musical genius (Butler) who haunts the catacombs beneath the Paris Opera, waging a reign of terror over its occupants. When he falls fatally in love with the lovely Christine (Rossum), the Phantom devotes himself to creating a new star for the Opera, exerting a strange sense of control over the young soprano as he nurtures her extraordinary talents.
Teaser::

http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbmovies/phan ... aser_a.mov

Trailer:

http://global-playlist.yahoo.com/makepl ... 40&qth=400

Film Clip:

http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbmovies/phan ... clip_a.mov

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This movie is sure to garner some attention from the press and the reviewers and receive oscar buzz. This movie comes out during a rennaisance for musicals which was initiated by Moulin Rouge and successfully continued by Chicago. While Moulin Rouge, praised by critics, got a decent box-office, it wasn't nearly as remarkable as Chicago's $170+ million that the movie has made back in 2002/2003. Chicago also went on and received 13 oscar noms followed by 6 wins. Moulin Rouge got 8 noms, but only 2 wins.

Moulin Rouge has made roughly $57 million at the box-office, while Chicago made $171 million.

What distinguishes this movies from The Phantom of the Opera, though, is that they had big stars in their casts (Kidman in Moulin Rouge and an all-star cast in Chicago) whereas The Phantom of the Opera mostly has young thespians. However, The Phantom of the Opera has the fact going for it, that it is an immensly popular musical with a great story and the name alone will attract many people to the theatres. Furthermore, I predict this movie to get some oscar buzz during the awards season which will help its gross as well. The release pattern seems to be same to Chicago's with a limited release in December and an expansion in January.

Will this movie continue the success of the musicals and strengthen the musicals wave coming upon us? We shall see. The first trailer indicates that it will be a definite eye-candy. One major thing that this movie has going against it, is its director, Joel Schumacher, of his Batman & Robin (in)fame. However, the director redeemed himself somewhat last year with Phine Booth, so I am willing to give him a chance. Furthermore, if there is anything he has proven by his Batman movies, then that is that he can make really stylish movies and musicals like The Phantom of the Opera definitely need a whole lot of style. To be honest, even Chicago had more style than substance.

This thread will be the official The Phantom of the Opera Predictions and Tracking thread.

So do you think this movie's total gross will be closer to Moulin Rouge's or will it break out like Chicago?

Personally, I feel that the movie will be a big success with a gross of $100+ million. I'll give a more exact prediction, as soon as the movie picks up some more buzz.

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I feel a Moulin Rouge! with this one. No big stars, really. But, it is a pretty famous musical, so it should do more than Moulin Rouge!. This is possibly a $100 million hit, but I think it'll fall short. Not sure yet.

Total: $85.0

Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:40 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Nice job, Lecter. Now this is a thread. Bravo!!!!!!!!!

Having seen the Phantom about 5 times on Broadway, Los Angeles and London. I can say that this movie should be great.

Here are some extra points that I would like to point out.

- I am excited to see how Emily Rossum, the female lead does. After being in Day After Tomorrow ( the heros girl), Mystic River ( the murdered daughter ) among others.

- Also you failed to mention that the movie has been done plenty of times before with classic stars as Lon Chaney and Claude Rains. So the movie isn't a new idea.

See ya, more to come later.

Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

I think this movie will stand alone eventually after it is released! It's story is legendary and I have always loved this tale!

I saw Moulin Rouge and was not a fan at all! Chicago didn't even warrant my attention!

This film, I think has potential to be better than both, especially since it is adored world-wide! You have a guarenteed audience!

I'll be looking forward to this whenever it decides to come to cinema in Oceania!

'The stars in the sky...
Bring tears to my eyes...
They're lighting my way... tonight.

And I haven't felt so alive..
In years.'

MOS

Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:03 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

According to Variety, "The Phantom of the Opera" will open on 600 screens.

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout ... egoryid=13
Warner Bros. is unspooling musical "The Phantom of the Opera" (first on 600 screens, then wider in January).

Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:22 am
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

I remember my first time seeing the Phantom of the Opera. I was amazed by the talet of the actors, the power of the music.... I have seen it three times now, and paralleling the opening of the film, is the opening of the play here in Tampa again. I've already bought my tickets and can't wait to see both. I think this incarnation has the chance to do 100m, but for now, I will stick with around 75-85.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:11 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commander and Chef

Never seen it but have always wanted to seee the broadway. love the music from it.

But everyone is just screaming oscar buzz cause of its name ... I want this movie to succeed more than anyhting but i'm expecting it to pull a cold mountain on us .... in terms of a let down and its oscar chances

Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I think it'll have a run more similar to Moulin Rouge

Total of $75 million

"How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Got a, got a compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Working on, working on that for quite some time?"

Battle of the 2005 movies - Vote Now!

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:07 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

The final trailer and a Film Clip have been released today! Check them out, both look good!

Trailer:

http://global-playlist.yahoo.com/makepl ... 40&qth=400

Film Clip:

http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbmovies/phan ... clip_a.mov

I really like the voices and the whole style of the movie looks great. :)

Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:05 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]