Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Barbenheimer weekdays 
Quality is a great business plan

Post Re: Barbenheimer weekdays
Only good news is MI7 is having reasonable OS gross and so its not a disaster like Flash or almost a disaster in Indy 5. Otherwise its the most disappointing of the 3. Should have found a better date for this movie.

I used to be shawman.

Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:15 pm
Superfreak

:funny: so here are full of shit when they say they saw the flash bombing coming a mile away. :funny:

4 weeks from release, BOT predictions had opening weekend range of $100m-$140 :funny:

Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:35 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Checking the OS numbers, I don't think Indy is even going to reach $400m WW? Or if it does, just barely.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Given that MI's top film is like $220m, it's gross won't be drastically far away from the ones before. I think in an empty market it would've done close to $200m.

I didn't even realize Indy's overseas #s were that low. Sheesh.

Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:48 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

All three cost $300M because of mismanagement, egos and COVID and will lose money, but MI will lose the least by a lot so it's not the worst performance by default. Whereas Flash and Indy are big enough bombs they would've bankrupt other studios in a different time (remember when Golden Compass bombing so hard killed New Line?).

Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:07 am
now we know

Corpse wrote:
Checking the OS numbers, I don't think Indy is even going to reach $400m WW? Or if it does, just barely.

Wow, geez. Its international total is shocking.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:44 am
Profile WWW

Barrabás wrote:
All three cost $300M because of mismanagement, egos and COVID and will lose money, but MI will lose the least by a lot so it's not the worst performance by default. Whereas Flash and Indy are big enough bombs they would've bankrupt other studios in a different time (remember when Golden Compass bombing so hard killed New Line?).

Had Indy 5 come out seven or eight years ago, this same movie would have made over a billion, but now the mystique of Disney doing Lucasfilms and the emergence of Gen Z as the new key demographic has sunk that chance and we are left with a decent sized blockbuster with a budget the film can’t afford.

The Flash is just the Internet’s loud opinion clouding the judgment of studio execs. The DCEU outside of Wonder Woman is not popular despite how many insecure testicle enhancing man-boy Snyder fans out there think that a proper Snyder verse is super popular and the Flash was somehow going to prove that. Superhero films are out of style now, and DC is now Pepsi to Marvel’s Coke.

Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:09 am
Romosexual!

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Barrabás wrote:

Had Indy 5 come out seven or eight years ago, this same movie would have made over a billion, but now the mystique of Disney doing Lucasfilms and the emergence of Gen Z as the new key demographic has sunk that chance and we are left with a decent sized blockbuster with a budget the film can’t afford.

it's sad the 3 headed monster of Lucas/Spielberg/Harrison couldn't get on the same timetable to give us more than just 2 movies in the span of 34 years (1989-2023). so much wasted potential.

Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:31 am
Extraordinary

DHD has these for Thursday updated 3 minutes ago:

Barbie $21.4M -7% $258.6M
Oppenheimer $10M -6% $127.8M

Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:02 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

:whaa: Both films look highly highly likely for sub 50% drop even with previews included.

Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:14 am
Romosexual!

O wrote:

:noway: :noway:

Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:17 am
Extraordinary

Talk To Me $1.25M from Thursday previews.

Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:22 am
Profile WWW
Into the fray

O wrote:

Amazing. Historical box office runs that will be referenced for decades to come.

Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:28 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Really crazy to see. So interested to see if Barbie will just continue to go insane or slow down.

Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:32 am
Superfreak

We're a bit beyond "spillover" business now aside from Imax type stuff. This is just incredible WOM.

Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:32 am
Extraordinary

We'll be at about 75% of 2022's annual gross with Thursday's dailies! Will probably be about 78% by the end of the weekend. 4 months left to go so hopefully enough of a push to get to $9B.

The Numbers has Barbie at $21.2M so that may be the official #. It will make up that $200K in about 30 minutes so no big deal.

Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:35 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Excel wrote:
We're a bit beyond "spillover" business now aside from Imax type stuff. This is just incredible WOM.

agree :noway: this is simply freaking awesome :cheer:

Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:53 am
Extraordinary

Insidious is about $8.7m away from being the highest grossing film in the franchise. Barring a big drop this weekend it could so it.

Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:55 am

I’d argue the last ten years or so have shown us that directors are bigger draws than actors any more. Barbie had Greta Gerwig’s name attached to it, and I’d argue her name being synonymous with quality pushed more people than Margot Robbie. And now we have Christopher Nolan out there as one of the biggest brands in the biz.

Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:57 am
Devil's Advocate

Algren wrote:
Corpse wrote:

I agree that's the most surprising, I thought it would be the exact type of name recognizable brand international audiences go for after domestic tunes out.

Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:58 am
Wall-E

Shack wrote:
Algren wrote:
Corpse wrote:

I agree that's the most surprising, I thought it would be the exact type of name recognizable brand international audiences go for after domestic tunes out.

indy is literally nonexistent among the markets that have emerged since its last outing aka LATAM/asia. its numbers in those markets were a joke.

it did ok in western europe (a market that has shrunk a lot since the 2000s unless your name in avatar) but that is not enough.

Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:00 am
Begging Naked

O wrote:
Talk To Me $1.25M from Thursday previews.

Gotta say I am very pleasantly surprised by this number. I figured it would land in the $4-6M opening range of X or It Comes at Night for A24, but it looks like this could become one of the rare movies for them to make over $10M in a single weekend?

Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:13 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Barbie $258.37M after 7 days!

If Barbie drops 50% for the rest of its run it would be at $516.74M.

If 45%, $574.15M

If 40%, $645.92M

If 35%, $738.19M

Of course, these would be impacted by the loss of summer weekdays but to ease the calculations, I'm using a "weekly average" as summer weekday loss would result in more business over the weekend.

$600M is looking good. Just needs to average low 40s drops.

Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:25 am
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

I’d argue the last ten years or so have shown us that directors are bigger draws than actors any more. Barbie had Greta Gerwig’s name attached to it, and I’d argue her name being synonymous with quality pushed more people than Margot Robbie. And now we have Christopher Nolan out there as one of the biggest brands in the biz.

Yes in terms of solely a name driving people towards the movie (we know Margot isn't a draw from her pair of bombs last year), but I would argue casting Margot is also a key ingredient in the film's success. She's widely regarded as the most beautiful modern Hwood actress and a big part of Barbie's appeal is aspirational fantasy. It's the female equivalent of a superhero movie. Girls want to be Barbie like boys want to be a superhero. Marvel knows this and they make sure they only cast handsome guys as their heroes and put them through 6 months ofsteroids personal training. People like that Barbie is played by someone that looks like a real-life Barbie doll and no one fits the bill better than her right now. If they had gone the wink wink ironic route with Amy Schumer the film would've had a totally different appeal.

Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:55 pm

Barrabás wrote:

Yes in terms of solely a name driving people towards the movie (we know Margot isn't a draw from her pair of bombs last year), but I would argue casting Margot is also a key ingredient in the film's success. She's widely regarded as the most beautiful modern Hwood actress and a big part of Barbie's appeal is aspirational fantasy. It's the female equivalent of a superhero movie. Girls want to be Barbie like boys want to be a superhero. Marvel knows this and they make sure they only cast handsome guys as their heroes and put them through 6 months ofsteroids personal training. People like that Barbie is played by someone that looks like a real-life Barbie doll and no one fits the bill better than her right now. If they had gone the wink wink ironic route with Amy Schumer the film would've had a totally different appeal.

All fair points.

Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next