Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 BARBENHEIMER weekend thread 
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: BARBENHEIMER weekend thread
O wrote:
Sound is only on Day 20(!) and made $125M.

It's wild that SOF already has 125. That escalated quickly.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:11 pm
now we know

What's also remarkable is how on a weekend when the double-feature of gargantuan proportions opens, most well-reviewed and well-liked movies show solid drops of 52% (Spider-Verse), 37% (Elemental), and even 67% (Rise of the Beasts).

What does Sound of Freedom do? -27%, lol. It's as if no new releases came out and it expanded by 2,000 theatres. It just defies reality. It is appealing to a chunk of the population where the usual Hollywood fluff doesn't seem to have much of an impact. It really highlights how many different potential movie-going circles there are to be supplied.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

publicenemy#1 wrote:
So if Barbie gets a 3.7 multiplier it can get to $600m. Have to see 2nd weekend if that is possible. Opppenheimer also needs similar multiplier to get to $300m.

Not $600M :rip:

It feels like it's playing like a four quadrant comedy/drama blockbuster like Hollywood used to produce a lot in the 90s. Like the female version of Forrest Gump.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:26 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Will Barbie become the number one movie of the year? Will the go woke go broke meme final meet it’s biter demise?

If this was Barbie starring Amy Schumer then sure, but this is Barbie starring Margot Robbie, one of the best-looking Hollywood actresses ever with a perfect body... I haven't seen it yet so I don't know what feminist leanings it has but from the marketing it certainly doesn't look 'woke'. It's completely upholding Hollywood ideals of beauty and femininity.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:28 pm
The Dark Knight

It does feature a trans woman as Doctor Barbie, but I guess most people haven't picked up on that.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:30 pm
Hold the door!

It’s very frustrating that Gerwig and Baimbach were so up their own asses with this script here. An amazing movie is here beneath a significant amount of cringe.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:39 pm

Cynosure wrote:
It does feature a trans woman as Doctor Barbie, but I guess most people haven't picked up on that.

I believe Ben Shapiro has an entire video dedicated to woke Barbie in which is very much brings this up

Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:42 pm
Hold the door!

After watching the movie, that’s actually one of the least political parts of the movie. :funny:

Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:42 pm

zwackerm wrote:
After watching the movie, that’s actually one of the least political parts of the movie. :funny:

Unfortunately the mere presence of a trans person is enough to be “woke” these days.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:45 pm
Hold the door!

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Unfortunately the mere presence of a trans person is enough to be “woke” these days.

I mean it would’ve been better if that part was played by a biological woman, but they we’re barely in it.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:55 pm
Extraordinary

MI finally posts its actual. $19,354,511 -65% $118,607,980

Down about 150K from estimates but Sound was down as well.

A 4X would give $176.8M.
A 3.5X multiplier would give it $167M.
A 3X would give $157.3M.

Probably leaning to about $165M now. Might be a tight battle between MI, IJ, Elemental and Transformers. Hoping this sees a drastic recovery though.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:59 pm
Profile WWW

How did Elemental do?

Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:15 pm
Extraordinary

Elemental $5,723,492 -37.1% $2,104 $137,157,319

Elemental went down slightly from its 36% estimate to a 37% drop. 25.2% drop in PTA so hoping it stabilizes this weekend. A 6X multiplier would give it $166M. A great run but only so far this can go when under $6M.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:21 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Algren wrote:
What's also remarkable is how on a weekend when the double-feature of gargantuan proportions opens, most well-reviewed and well-liked movies show solid drops of 52% (Spider-Verse), 37% (Elemental), and even 67% (Rise of the Beasts).

What does Sound of Freedom do? -27%, lol. It's as if no new releases came out and it expanded by 2,000 theatres. It just defies reality. It is appealing to a chunk of the population where the usual Hollywood fluff doesn't seem to have much of an impact. It really highlights how many different potential movie-going circles there are to be supplied.

It's not that hard when you can basically have empty showings and still make bank. I know some showings have a good amount of people. But plenty is just donated ticket sales. It's a giant success however it gets the money, but the numbers are definitely misleading.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:21 pm
Quality is a great business plan

EmpireCity is seeing almost 30m for Barb and 14m for Oppy. Not bad at all :-)

I used to be shawman.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:22 pm
Hold the door!

That would be fantastic, no? Don’t most movies drop 55-60% Sunday to Monday this time of year?

Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:25 pm

zwackerm wrote:
That would be fantastic, no? Don’t most movies drop 55-60% Sunday to Monday this time of year?

Spillover effect. most big cities and big plexes were sold out entire weekend. I was just looking at few big plexes in NYC, Bay Area etc and all Imax/Dolby shows sold out as well. Lincoln Sq/Metreon have sold out for until its 4th weekend !!!! So that will benefit Barb/Oppy.

I think both movies will slightly drop tomorrow despite selling more tickets tomorrow due to discount tuesday. Its the wednesday hold which will tell the tale for sure for 2nd weekend hold.

I used to be shawman.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:38 pm
Superfreak

Nolan needs to do OPPENHEIMER meets TOP GUN with a serious, big budget take on PEARL HARBOR, for December, 2025.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:59 pm
Veteran

O wrote:
Clearly one of the strangest but coolest weekends at the cinema ever. It's hard to know where we go from here.

Younger audience jumped on Minions 2. Got people to pair up and watch a Barbie and WW2 biopic.

Migration + The Color Purple a must see combo? Or A Quiet Place 3 + KFP4?

Will be very interesting to see what Hollywood tries pushing post Barbenheimer. Know it will be super cringe but will have all the execs and film teams talking.

:lol: I’d like to see the exit interviews from groups of 20 year old girls coming out of Oppenheimer screenings (after seeing Barbie). What did they think?? :D

I was blind, but now I see.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:51 pm
Veteran

Skyblade wrote:
O wrote:
Why did none of the virality and memes translate for Morbius?

I don't think viral is the pure ingredient here. There have been stars with big social followings too whose movies flopped even those with movies with critical acclaim.

Minions 2 also wasn't a critical darling. What was Morbius missing that didn't translate to box office? Quality mostly?

It's totally about quality, or more accurately, kind of an ideological thing? Like, people were all "Let's do a double feature ha ha ha wait let's actually do this." Both represent something the other lacks; Barbie is an unapologetically female-driven thing, but still an IP and ultimately an advertisement. Oppenheimer is very vintage Film Bro, but it's an adult drama by the man fighting to keep adult dramas commercial.

Meanwhile, Morbius is yet another capeshit, sort of off-brand capeshit, and that this superhero is a vampire doesn't exactly mitigate it. Plus, Leto is, at best an obnoxious blowhard, and at worst, a toxic sex pest. And as far as the target audience was concerned, the worst Joker.

(As for Minions, I just think that was kind of an already bullet proof franchise with a visible movement, maybe even a loud minority. I think someone said it was largely people who enjoyed the movies when they were younger who wanted to relive pre-pandemic days and had an excuse to be performative about it.)

I don’t know that you can force memes and virals, not even in a stealthy grassroots way. It has to just happen.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:59 pm
Veteran

Excel wrote:
Nolan needs to do OPPENHEIMER meets TOP GUN with a serious, big budget take on PEARL HARBOR, for December, 2025.

Or another biopic, General Marshall. He was the top US general in the war and his Marshall Plan saved continental Europe from literal starvation.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:01 pm
Superfreak

lilmac wrote:
Excel wrote:

Or another biopic, General Marshall. He was the top US general in the war and his Marshall Plan saved continental Europe from literal starvation.

I would see it, though TBH he doesn't have the mad scientist mystique of an Oppenheimer type. The attack on Oahu and Pearl Harbor is as commercial as WW2 gets unless Nolan wanted to one up Spielberg and do a full D-DAY take.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:22 pm
Wall-E

zwackerm wrote:

Because it isn't political at all? The film makes no mention of it, unless you knew the actress was trans beforehand you wouldn't even notice. And even if you do notice, I'm not exactly sure what that knowledge would change within the movie :blink:

I guess being trans means you don't deserve to work either to some people these days.

Seriously, this gender politics shit has been taken way too far. How hard is it to just let people be :wacko:

Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:30 pm

Charlie is saying 27/13 and Empire updated to 27.5/13.5. Either ways these numbers are great but after seeing 30m, 27m feels "normal".

I used to be shawman.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:45 pm
Begging Naked

Keyser Söze wrote:
Charlie is saying 27/13 and Empire updated to 27.5/13.5. Either ways these numbers are great but after seeing 30m, 27m feels "normal".

Empire keeps wildly overshooting these guesstimates. $27M would be a sub-40% drop from Sunday, which for a non-holiday is insaaaane. The only other summer weekdays to ever be higher (unadjusted) are the holiday Mondays for Maverick and Spider-Man 2.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next