Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 BARBENHEIMER weekend thread 
Quality is a great business plan

Post Re: BARBENHEIMER weekend thread
Jonathan wrote:
Keyser Söze wrote:
Charlie is saying 27/13 and Empire updated to 27.5/13.5. Either ways these numbers are great but after seeing 30m, 27m feels "normal".

Empire keeps wildly overshooting these guesstimates. $27M would be a sub-40% drop from Sunday, which for a non-holiday is insaaaane. The only other summer weekdays to ever be higher (unadjusted) are the holiday Mondays for Maverick and Spider-Man 2.

he gets excited. When you get early numbers based on comscore, its possible for it to be off. 10% still ok. 27m is higher than what I expected(25m). Really good for Oppenheimer as well. Better than Inception Monday !!!

I used to be shawman.

Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:00 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Excel wrote:
Nolan needs to do OPPENHEIMER meets TOP GUN with a serious, big budget take on PEARL HARBOR, for December, 2025.

He is obviously a much better director overall, but he is a much poorer director of action sequences than Michael Bay is and the main appeal of a Pearl Harbor movie is the attack sequence---which say what you want about the 2001 movie but that part was flawless. I don't think Nolan would be able to top it. Ditto for D Day landing sequences, he wouldn't be able to top Saving Private Ryan (notice how almost no one has tried to since that film) because Spielberg is also better at action sequences. Maybe others will disagree but I always found the action scenes to be the weakest parts of his Batman films. They seemed very perfunctory and like he couldn't wait to get back to the more dialogue-heavy scenes. In Inception there were a few cool shots like the rotating hallway but the appeal of that film was the concept more than the execution IMO. And in Interstellar he managed to make a skyscraper-sized tidal wave seem kind of boring. The 'Matt Damon opens the hatch' sequence was great, I will give him that, but it was more of an exercise in tension (will they make it or not?) than lots of explosions and people running around.

Last edited by Barrabás on Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:01 am
Cream of the Crop

Jawdropping Monday number for Barbie, which appears to have a pretty solid chance of ultimately passing Mario's $575 million total. Oppenheimer's Monday number is pretty solid as well, similar to TDK or Inception's Monday drop.

Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:04 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Barrabás wrote:
Excel wrote:
Nolan needs to do OPPENHEIMER meets TOP GUN with a serious, big budget take on PEARL HARBOR, for December, 2025.

He is obviously a much better director overall, but he is a much poorer director of action sequences than Michael Bay is and the main appeal of a Pearl Harbor movie is the attack sequence---which say what you want about the 2001 movie but that part was flawless. I don't think Nolan would be able to top it. Ditto for D Day landing sequences, he wouldn't be able to top Saving Private Ryan (notice how almost no one has tried to since that film) because Spielberg is also better at action sequences. Maybe others will disagree but I always found the action scenes to be the weakest parts of his Batman films. They seemed very perfunctory and like he couldn't wait to get back to the more dialogue-heavy scenes. In Inception there were a few cool shots like the rotating hallway but the appeal of that film was the concept more than the execution IMO. And in Interstellar he managed to make a skyscraper-sized tidal wave seem kind of boring. The 'Matt Damon opens the hatch' sequence was great, I will give him that, but it was more of an exercise in tension (will they make it or not?) than lots of explosions and people running around.

Would respectfully disagree about TDK series action. BB has great action editing and money shots, its just the up close fight scenes being weird. TDK obviously has numerous incredibly rousing scenes. TDKR final battle/batplane attack is incredible. Inception action is incredible. Lessthanstellar and Dunkirk action is meh for sure, and I barely remember Tenet.

Bay's Pearl Harbor attack is incredible but also totally fake. It shows 1000s of planes with unlimited ammo :funny: It also shows 90% of the action in the harbor while in reality, it was all over the island. A Nolan film that was paced more like JURASSIC PARK and went much deeper into back story and then attacks all over the island would be great, but most importantly; - show the rousing American reaction!

Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:59 am
Extraordinary

Aside from OW's, Barbie looks like it could be WB's biggest movie of all time domestic. It's very accessible.

Currently TDK at $534,987,076. The Dark Knight Rises is #2 at $448,139,099 which it looks like a solid chance Barbie to pass (2.77X multiplier).

Globally, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 is tops for WB at $1,342,359,942. Could make a run for that as well

Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:13 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Thinking $26.25m and $12.5m monday...

Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:21 am
Profile WWW
Into the fray

That's a -40% for Barbie and a -46% for Oppenheimer

I think those are both equally impressive (and insanely good!!!)

I would not expect Oppenheimer to have as good of weekday holds due to the difficult runtime and R-rating

Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:54 am
Profile WWW
Into the fray

Ready for this one?

Inception
$3m midnights
$18.8m Friday
$21.8m Saturday (+16%)
$19.2m Sunday (-12%)
$10.2m Monday (-47%)

Oppenheimer
$10.5m previews
$22.5m Friday
$26.2m Saturday (+16%)
$23.2m Sunday (-12%)
$12.5m Monday (-46%)

Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:12 am
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Kenspy wrote:
Ready for this one?

Inception
$3m midnights
$18.8m Friday
$21.8m Saturday (+16%)
$19.2m Sunday (-12%)
$10.2m Monday (-47%)

Oppenheimer
$10.5m previews
$22.5m Friday
$26.2m Saturday (+16%)
$23.2m Sunday (-12%)
$12.5m Monday (-46%)

If it has the same legs for the rest of its run Opp will finish with.... $380M+.

Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:21 pm
Cream of the Crop

Barrabás wrote:
Kenspy wrote:
Ready for this one?

Inception
$3m midnights
$18.8m Friday
$21.8m Saturday (+16%)
$19.2m Sunday (-12%)
$10.2m Monday (-47%)

Oppenheimer
$10.5m previews
$22.5m Friday
$26.2m Saturday (+16%)
$23.2m Sunday (-12%)
$12.5m Monday (-46%)

If it has the same legs for the rest of its run Opp will finish with.... $380M+.

Seems very unlikely to pull off a 4.66 multiplier like Inception. But a multiplier similar to Dunkirk or Interstellar (3.7+ multiplier) would push the movie above $300 million. That would be amazing. At the moment I feel like $270M is a pretty realistic goal. See how it goes beyond that!

Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10