Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Shack's top 70s songs (full list posted) 
Devil's Advocate

Post Shack's top 70s songs (full list posted)
Banned songs based on being on previous list:

ABBA - Another Town Another Train
The Beatles - Let It Be
Billy Joel - Piano Man
Bob Dylan - Knockin on Heaven’s Door
Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road, The Promised Land, Lost in the Flood
Don McLean - American Pie
The Eagles - Hotel California
Elton John - Your Song, Tiny Dancer
Joni Mitchell - Amelia, A Case Of You, The Last Time I Saw Richard, All I Want
Meat Loaf - Paradise by the Dashboard Light

2 songs allowed per artist

Mon May 15, 2023 6:49 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Shack's top 70s songs
Honorable Mention:

Big Star - Thirteen

The Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive

Stealers Wheel - Stuck in the Middle With You

The Steve Miller Band - The Joker

KISS - I Was Made for Loving You

John Lennon - Mind Games

Harry Chaplin - Cat's in the Cradle

Mon May 15, 2023 7:03 pm
Devil's Advocate

I really like an interpretation I read that the devil actually wins when he goes down to Georgia. He is after a soul not winning a fiddle contest, letting Johnny win makes his ego explode and say "I told you son of a bitch I'm the best that's ever been". That's when the devil gets his soul.

Mon May 15, 2023 7:09 pm
Devil's Advocate

Whoops, I only had 49, so I guess this one will make top 50 after all

56. Gladys Knight & The Pips - Midnight Train to Georgia

I like the story in this, you can feel for the the guy that realizes he's not going to make it and has to go home, as many have had to over the years.

55. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

My favorite part of this song is the first half with the doomed soul lyrics and Mercury's singing and piano, some of the other parts might be a bit much, but it's cool.

54. Boney M. - Rasputin

This song has a fun concept and excellent disco instrumental, and love the deep dramatic vocals.

Mon May 15, 2023 7:39 pm
The Kramer

Devil Went Down To Georgia is the final boss song in Guitar Hero 3 and also one of my favorite episodes of Futurama!

Mon May 15, 2023 8:16 pm
Devil's Advocate

53. Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights

The unique vocal style and instrumental make a great combination, it doesn't matter that the chorus is about as easy to understand as Yellow Ledbetter, because you can tell by the emotion and verses what she's singing about. It would be nice if Stranger Things season 5 used this and it blew up.

52. Derek and the Dominoes - Layla

This song has some of the best guitar playing of all time, and Clapton's vocals add a good sense of desperation. The 4 minute outro is a bold choice that works due to the perfect blend of the guitar and piano and feels right with the lyrical storyline set up before.

Mon May 15, 2023 10:25 pm
Keeping it Light

Nice start!

Tue May 16, 2023 1:44 am
now we know

"Wuthering Heights" is excellent.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue May 16, 2023 7:42 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

51. Gilbert O'Sullivan - Get Down

I first became aware of this artist when hearing his very emo song Alone Again (Naturally), which is probably more of a top 75 than top 50 for this list, while this other hit for him is a pretty catchy/fun. I like the conflict between him trying to resist the horned up girl's advances, but still acknowledging he does like her.

50. Anita Ward - Ring My Bell

The sexy high pitched vocal performance helps makes this song, and it makes great use of having bell in the title with having it ring throughout the song. The lyrics help set the scene of a long term or married couple who are gonna do it after he gets home from work and she's finished the dishes.

49. John Lennon - Working Class Hero

I was surprised when I first listened to the Beatles post-breakup albums how much more I was team John over team Paul. I His vocal performance is great in this song as there is something edgy/angry beneath it, leading to the somewhat sarcastic working class hero line. I'm not sure if the song's message is as deep as it thinks it is, however I like the vibe.

Tue May 16, 2023 5:28 pm
Devil's Advocate

Predictably, I just remembered two songs that have to be on, so this is now a top 52. I also added Cat's in the Cradle to HM.

Tue May 16, 2023 7:33 pm
Devil's Advocate

48. John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John - You're the One I Want

I think both singers do an exceptional job in this, with Travolta's "I got chilllls they're multiplying" especially getting me. The bassline is cool and the backup singers add a lot.

47. Billy Joel - Miami 2017 (Seen the Loghts Go Out on Broadway)

Cool equivalent of sci-fi movies set in a future year that we've now passed. The customarily great Joel piano part is a nice intro and allows the song to build a great pace, before returning to it in the outro.

46. Looking Glass - Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)

I first became familiar with this song from Guardians 2, I like the story of the girl who can't compete with the sailor's real love. The imagery like what she sees in his eyes whenever he talks about the sea is great. The instrumental has a nice vibe and the style of the vocals work for storytelling.

Tue May 16, 2023 7:59 pm
The Kramer

I've still never seen Grease. Or Footlose.

Wed May 17, 2023 2:30 pm
Devil's Advocate

45. Joni Mitchell - Coyote

While I become less of a fan of her after she goes jazz, this song from the transition period album is a standout with an excellent Jaco Pastorious bassline that works great with the lyrics and her conversational and layered vocal delivery. I like some of the descriptions like "no regrets coyote" and "the coyote's in the coffee shop, staring a hole in his scrambled eggs"

44. The Beatles - Across the Universe

My favorite song from this album is the banned Let It Be, but this is a worthy entry as the acoustic guitar and one of Lennon's best vocals ever (he doesn't have a second top 50 song, but this can count as it) just create such an outer-wordly vibe that fit the lyrics. This song feels unique.

43. Lynard Skynard - Free Bird

Much like In the Air Tonight, I actually like the first half the most, I love intro and those slower guitar riffs, which with his vocals set the tone great of the relationship between the rock star guy and his hook up he's afraid to stay and become domesticated with. The release in the second half after all that isn't too shabby either.

Wed May 17, 2023 7:30 pm
Devil's Advocate

42. Jackson Browne - The Load Out/Stay

I really like the piano part in this along with Jackson's heartfelt vocals saying thank you to his roadies. The squeaky voice girl in the Stay cover part is fun. While I only know a few of his songs, it would be tempting to go this guy's concert if he came near me just to see one of the best concert ending songs in history.

41. Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive

This song gets better as I get older and have been through more things. Gaynor's performance has a lot of subtleties selling the emotion of the song, perhaps there's a reason I haven't heard many covers. The instrumental backing is also classic.

40. Warren Zevon - Werewolves of London

This is an example of a song that's not pretending to have any deeper meaning, it's just having fun. The "his hair was perfect" line is the best. The piano riff is so good that even Kid Rock angering the gods by combining it with Sweet Home Alabama ended up a guilty pleasure for me.

Wed May 17, 2023 9:27 pm
Devil's Advocate

I remembered another song to take it to top 53, so I'll post one extra song tonight to still leave a clean 35

39. Electric Light Orchestra - Mr. Blue Sky

This song to me is like "futuristic Beatles", there is so much instrumentally going on that manages to work, and the vocals work well with the brighten up sad boy/girl theme. This is one of a kind.

Thu May 18, 2023 1:55 am
Devil's Advocate

I didn't realize Simon and Garfunkel made it to 1970 like the Beatles. I was already planning on having 2 solo Paul Simon songs, so I will split the difference and grant 1 extra S&G song in addition to those, taking the list total to 54. (edit: add one more for 55)

Thu May 18, 2023 9:51 am
Devil's Advocate

38. Jim Croce - Bad, Bad Leroy Brown

This is fun storytelling with the descriptions of the tall badass Leroy, the looker married woman that's his downfall, etc. and the piano rhythm helps create an energetic vibe for these guys world. "Badder than old king kong, meaner than a junkyard dog" is really catchy line.

37. Arlo Guthrie - City of New Orleans

A great folk song. Guthrie's vocals and the instrumental help create the vibe of him riding the moving train. The backup singers help add a haunting feel as it moves past some decaying parts, and the "don't you know me" part gives a feeling like America has forgot something that the train represents.

Thu May 18, 2023 10:09 am
Devil's Advocate

36. Joan Baez - Diamonds and Rust

The guitar instrumental is the key to this song giving it that haunting stuck in memories feel, along with her vocal performance and poetic lyrics. "I'll be damned, here comes your ghost again" is a memorable opening line.

35. David Bowie - Young Americans

This song has a cool sax vibe and nice use of backup singers, and meaningful lyrics, I picture people who don't have that high confidence expectations for themselves, but at least when they're young trying to find someone to bang is interesting, then when they're middle aged they're kind of disappointed and disillusioned that there isn't more. One of his best songs.

34. Neil Young - Old Man

The guitar part is very nice in this as one could expect for a Young song, with interesting lyrics about the differences and similarities between generations. It is interesting listening to a song sung when Young was a young man, and thinking when the old men he is singing about were born.

33. Creedance Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen the Rain

I usually enjoy rain as a metaphor in songs, and this one it's used well to describe hard times emotionally getting in the way of what seems like it should be good times, hence the rain on a sunny day. The bassline is great and he sells the emotion of the song in his vocals.

Thu May 18, 2023 3:23 pm
Devil's Advocate

32. Rod Stewart - Maggie May

This song could have rested on its Graduate-esque story alone, but the instrumental take it to another level, the solos in between some of his verses and the string sequence at the end are used wonderfully, and the medieval sounding opening is random but works. This song may never be topped for song about a young guy relationship's a middle aged woman, it's everything you could ask for out of the concept.

31. Leonard Cohen - Famous Blue Raincoat

(thanks Connor Roy for reminding me of this song)

This song feels haunting to me between Cohen's typically great vocal performance, and the secondary female voice in the song is key, perhaps in some ways representing Jane. The triangle makes for complicated emotions, he is almost relieved she got the cheating out of her system and would be ready to fully forgive, but is sad cause he knows his friend's guilt and feelings for her means he will never come back.

30. Bob Seger - Hollywood Nights

This song tells a great story to me of a guy that moves to Hollywood, meets the hottest person he's ever seen, but eventually ends up burned by her and homesick for where people aren't like this. I really like his description of the woman's effect on him and the verse about them driving upwards the twisting roads, it seems to match the instrumental that makes it feel like an exciting journey.

Fri May 19, 2023 4:30 am
Devil's Advocate

29. Joni Mitchell - Carey

I was toying with banning this whole album since I milked it for three songs on a previous list, but I guess I'll include another one. The guitar part is the key to the song to me making it feel so good to listen to and her vocals have a joy to it of this being a happy moment in her life.

28. Billy Joel - Scenes from an Italian Restaurant

A boldly multi structured part song, the transition between parts works well with the picking up speed of the piano, and overall fantastic use of sax throughout. The lyrics are a great on take on memory/nostalgia, and that people from earlier in your life who you thought had it figured it out more than you ended up peaking too early and had problems of their own.

27. The Eagles - Desperado

A near perfect ballad about the stubborn and emotionally scarred closed off and the loneliness that creeps in sometimes in between their otherwise free days. The simple piano from the great intro on and the western like vocals helps sell the emotion of the song perfectly.

Fri May 19, 2023 3:07 pm
The Kramer

I like how our lists are completely different. Really highlights the variety of the decade beyond just the obvious.

Fri May 19, 2023 3:44 pm
Devil's Advocate

26. Simon & Garfunkel - The Only Living Boy In New York

I first got into this song from the Garden State soundtrack. This song has a relaxed feel of someone who is willing to chill for a day and enjoy the present compared to the bustling workers, and is one that wouldn't be the same without Garfunkel as his harmonizing voice adds to that feeling.

25. The Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star

The production on this song is amazing, I really like the transmission like way the verses sound, and complimented by the female voice and great use of piano and synth. The lyrics strike a nice balance between not being too literal and just telling you about radio stars being doomed, using some great imagery to create a feeling of that it's the future, it's over and the singer is looking back.

Sat May 20, 2023 11:33 am
Devil's Advocate

24. The Jackson 5 - I'll Be There

It's amazing a 12 year old kid could pull off this adult relationship type song and message of being there for an ex if they need them for romantic reasons or not (but hoping it's for romantic reasons), but it works with the innocent style. The last minute is perfect.

23. Cat Stevens - Wild World

This song has an excellent rising-falling rhythm it to for a ballad, as seen by its intro which immediately gets me into it and then throughout the song. The lyrics which I believe are about an ex relationship but could be mistaken for father-daughter are interesting, there is almost a bitter passive aggressiveness as he tells her to go have fun out there without him or condescension calling her a kid, or like he wants to scare her into going back to him instead of the big bad world.

Sat May 20, 2023 12:19 pm
Devil's Advocate

For some reason I thought House of the Rising Sun was 70s, it would have made my top 5, but removing it works out ok cause I couldn't figure out which song to kick out of my top 20

22. David Bowie - Changes

A song that's relatable because everyone goes through Changes and has to turn the face the strain. The shift halfway through between personal to talking about young people in general manages to blend. The mix between the memorable instrumental rhythm and then getting quieter during the verses work. I think this is one of my favorite Bowie vocals selling the chorus well and the ch ch ch.

21. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - American Girl

I was surprised that Tom Petty goes back all the way back to 1976. This is one of his best songs with a catchy guitar part and describing the desire to get out and her having some sort of romantic backstory in relatively few and simple words.

20. Neil Young - Heart of Gold

The harmonica is terrific in this song when combined with the guitar backing, and the lyrics are relatable about someone still searching for emotional gold in themselves or others.

Sat May 20, 2023 6:56 pm
Keeping it Light

Yeah, I always loved Heart of Gold.

Sat May 20, 2023 7:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next