Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Shack's top 70s songs (full list posted) 
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Shack's top 70s songs
I messed up again having Space Oddity (1969) on my list, however I was able to substitute in another Bowie song from one of my two from him. I couldn't quite convince myself to put it at #20 over Heart of Gold and American Girl, however just a few spots lower seems reasonable, so I edited the post with its entry.

Sun May 21, 2023 1:23 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Shack's top 70s songs (top 20 begins)

19. Cat Stevens - Father and Son

I really like the difference between the son and father's sons parts, the son's a bit more emotional and louder and begging the father to care as much as him, while the father is trying to act rational. Making them as harmonizing voices in the other's verses later in the song is a nice touch.

18. Bob Dylan - Love Minus Zero, No Limit (Live version)

The album version of this song wouldn't be in consideration for my list (or eligible) but I'm a big fan of this arrangement, which feels like a different song and has a lot of energy, catchy instrumental with the flute and harmonica parts, and probably some of his most romantic lyrics.

Sun May 21, 2023 8:25 pm
Devil's Advocate

17. ABBA - Fernando

I really like the sense of time in this song in that it's sung some time after the revolution and they are now older and haven't been warriors for a long time (I really like the "it's been many years since I saw a rifle in your hand" line) and even they lost the fight back then and are bittersweet about it, it was still a glorious time that made them feel alive.

16. Fleetwood Mac - Silver Springs

With this song becoming famous for Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham playing it up in concert by her staring a hole in him while singing it, that it feels like her real emotions makes it all the better. I like how it builds with her jealousy towards the epic last part, which is partly effective cause it's true, no matter what he does he'll be hearing her voice playing everywhere.

Sun May 21, 2023 9:10 pm
Devil's Advocate

15. Carly Simon - You're So Vain

I always liked her vocal performance in this song, it has a I'm better off without you pride to it that works, and works well describing him with memorable lines like saying he has one eye in the mirror and the total eclipse of the sun part, or "you gave away the things you loved, and one of them was me". The solo in the middle and the violin in the instrumental works well. TIL Mick Jagger's voice is in this.

Mon May 22, 2023 12:42 pm
Devil's Advocate

14. Village People - Go West

To me this song has a sense of optimism and hope, that the people he's singing to can escape their troubles by going west and starting new. Like the other most well known Village People songs it has a big anthem feel (in some ways they're all kind of the same song), but for me this is the one where the lyrics and emotion work the best instead of seeming cheesy.

Mon May 22, 2023 12:49 pm
Keeping it Light

Two bangers at 15 and 14.

Mon May 22, 2023 1:08 pm
Devil's Advocate

13. Paul Simon - Mother and Child Reunion

There is something mysterious about what the mother and child reunion is, I heard the title is from chicken and eggs, it may have been inspired by the death of a dog, or perhaps even the break up of the Beatles. I thought it was going to be about humans connection to the earth or something. Either way, it sounds optimistic. The reggae influence gives it a fun vibe with the backup singers and Simon working well together.

Mon May 22, 2023 6:17 pm
The Kramer

I heard the Janet Jackson version of Youre So Vain first and it kinda ruined it for me.

Mon May 22, 2023 7:03 pm
Devil's Advocate

I decided to make 11-13 all artists who had two songs left, leaving a clean top 10 of one song per artist.

12. Bruce Springsteen - Badlands

This song is one of my favorite openings to an album, the energy is just great with the guitar, drum and piano combination, instrumentally it just bangs. Much like one of my favorites The Promised Land (banned for this list), it seems to capture something in terms of energy and ambition, in this case the lyrics feel more mashed together than in that song, which is almost fitting for the young person's confusion. "Poor man wanna be rich, rich man wanna be king, and a king ain't satsified until he rules everything" is the most famous line but I also like some of the other ones like "I wanna find one face that ain't looking through me" and the opening few verses.

(Just read in the comments this is in the GOTG 3 credits... just another reason to see it)

Tue May 23, 2023 1:00 am
Devil's Advocate

11. Elton John - Border Song

I think this has one of my favorite piano parts of Elton's songs, and I like the concept "Holy moses, I have been deceived" and singing about changing their mind. It seems to be kind of about race relations, but I think it can be used for any place people are divided. The harmonizing voices and violins midway through the song add a nice haunting feel.

Tue May 23, 2023 1:12 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Shack's top 70s songs
I forgot one more song so I edited it in... Have You Ever Seen the Rain is now #33:

Shack wrote:

33. Creedance Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen the Rain

I usually enjoy rain as a metaphor in songs, and this one it's used well to describe hard times emotionally getting in the way of what seems like it should be good times, hence the rain on a sunny day. The bassline is great and he sells the emotion of the song in his vocals.

Tue May 23, 2023 1:29 am
The Kramer

Badlands sounds great live.

And Guardians 3 needs to be seen ln theaters!!

Tue May 23, 2023 3:42 am
Devil's Advocate

10. ABBA - Thank You for the Music (Doris Day version)

This may be a bit of a random choice among their songs, but I always loved the cabaret style piano in this version, and the way she sings it. There is a humbleness and gratefulness for where she is, and appreciation for what music existing has given to her. My favorite part is the "mother says I was a dancer before I could walk, she says I could sing before I could talk" verse.

Tue May 23, 2023 5:04 pm
Devil's Advocate

9. Joan Baez - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

I don't know why this version works so much better for me than the original by The Band when the character is supposed to be a male, but she does a good job selling the emotion of the song, and the acoustic backing is the right amount and fits the tone of the song. I like the intergenerational aspect with him saying "like my father before me, I will work the land", and the rage he feels of his brother being killed by the north. It's a song from the perspective of the losing side, and that makes it interesting. The chorus is really catchy.

Speaking of Baez, for some reason I forgot to include her best original song, so I put it in at #36

Shack wrote:

36. Joan Baez - Diamonds and Rust

The guitar instrumental is the key to this song giving it that haunting stuck in memories feel, along with her vocal performance and poetic lyrics. "I'll be damned, here comes your ghost again" is a memorable opening line.

Tue May 23, 2023 5:37 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Shack's top 70s songs (top 10 begins)

8. The Rolling Stones - Angie

Some of their best songs just miss the 70s for me, but this one is one of their best. It has one of my favorite pre-choruses in the "with no lovin in our souls and no money in our coats/all the dreams we had so close all went up in smokes" parts. Jagger's vocal performance is terrific with the heartbreak of throwing in the towel and succumbing to reality. Another 70s song with an all time great piano track and the guitar and violin work too.

Tue May 23, 2023 7:59 pm
Devil's Advocate

7. Paul Simon - Duncan

The guitar sound, flutes and vocal performance comes together in a way in this song that makes it feel like a story. I like the descriptions of him of the probably unsavoury way he was conceived and having no confidence, money, or direction which sets the scene of his good fortune day of getting to bang a religious nut. There is some kind of characterization in the singer's voice in this that makes it interesting.

Wed May 24, 2023 1:20 pm
Devil's Advocate

6. Elton John - Indian Sunset

Thanks dead 2pac for introducing me to this epic song. I find this song shifts multiple times in the middle, almost like the character is going through the stages of grief, from the angrier and in denial sequence at the beginning to more a warrior's lament. The drums play a key role with the subject matter and the violin is great to give it the big feel at the right parts.

Wed May 24, 2023 4:54 pm
Devil's Advocate

5. Bob Dylan - Tangled Up In Blue

Very interesting lyrics that seem to be jumping back and forth between different time periods, as if representing that different parts of your life come forward in your memory at different time and end up tangled. On an individual level most of the verses are great to listen to like when the girl at the topless place bends down to tie his shoe or reading the book of poems and finding every word spoke to him like burning coal. The ragged guitar style fits the mumbled memory idea well.

Wed May 24, 2023 8:43 pm
Devil's Advocate

4. Bruce Springsteen - Jungleland

The instrumental in this song is amazing, from the best sax solo of all time to the violin opening and the great use of piano, and the guitar when it kicks in when the song builds momentum is pretty good too. The West Side Story rumble in the streets imagery feels more fantastical than real, but perhaps that's the point. The last 2-3 minutes is when the emotion of the song really come out, as if that's when some sort of awakening to reality has to come in for its characters.

Wed May 24, 2023 9:06 pm
Devil's Advocate

No comparative deeper cuts like Duncan and Indian Sunset in the top 3... I feel all three are relatively recognizable and get airplay

Wed May 24, 2023 9:25 pm
The Kramer

Surprised that Bruce isn't #1.

Wed May 24, 2023 11:27 pm
Devil's Advocate

Mostly cause I banned my top three 70s Springsteen songs, and the top 3 of this list are ones that should have been high on previous list but I flat out whiffed on remembering to put them on.

Thu May 25, 2023 1:25 am
The Kramer

Still, Metallica found a way to win my 80s list even though their best songs were banned.

I don't know what the top 3 will be now. You obviously went in a totally different direction than me. Maybe Joel, Aerosmith and an ultra woke #1 pick of Whats Going On?

Thu May 25, 2023 3:54 am
Devil's Advocate

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Still, Metallica found a way to win my 80s list even though their best songs were banned.

I don't know what the top 3 will be now. You obviously went in a totally different direction than me. Maybe Joel, Aerosmith and an ultra woke #1 pick of Whats Going On?

Joel got his two songs out of the way comparatively early. No What's Going On or Aerosmith, I guess I could have considered Dream On for low ranking or HM, but I think I like poppy 90s version of them the most.

The top 3 has two artists who haven't appeared yet. I guess I should check out more of their albums, I know the next band I was surprised that my choice is only their 4th most listened Spotify song off its album.

Thu May 25, 2023 8:45 am
Romosexual!

any Tina Turner songs on the list??

Thu May 25, 2023 8:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next