Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-1) 
The Kramer

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-32)
Now what you hear is not a test, I'm rapping to the beat

35. Rapper's Delight / Good Times by Sugar Hill Gang / Chic

-Another double here. It was only originally gonna be Rapper's Delight, but since RD samples Good Time's beat, I figured that Chic could sample the Gang's spot. Rapper's Delight gets credit for basically starting the entire genre of hip-hop. And I've seen no evidence to the contrary. Sample is a huge part of hip-hop still to this day. The best hip-hop artist of all time (He Who Must Not Be Named) used it as often as he could. And for much of the 80s, hip-hop was more of a dance music in the same way that it is now, rather than the rock fueled style brought on by Run DMC, Beasties and NWA (87-02 = hip-hop golden age in my opinion.) Chic would go on to make more dance songs that people love and now performs with Nile Rodgers in big arenas across the country.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Mon May 01, 2023 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 01, 2023 3:58 pm
Keeping it Light

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-35)
Good thread.

Mon May 01, 2023 4:12 pm
The Kramer

Well I hear its fine, if you got the time and the ten to get yourself in

34. La Grange by ZZ Top

-First off, I've always thought this was pronounced La GRAHNGE kinda like a grunge sound but apparently, according to Siri, it is actually La GRAYNGE. And I'm not sure how I feel about that. Should I boot it off the list entirely? It's like saying the correct pronounciation of decorative (decrative) rather than the much more fun DE-COR-A-TIVE. Well, grammatical correctness aside, this song is pretty badass. It's another one I discovered off Guitar Hero. And, thanks to this song (and their beards), I think ZZ Top are thought of as dudes who only made this dirty blues style guitar romps rather than the giant arena-rock sound that was present in most of their hits like Sharp Dressed Man, Tush, Legs, Cheap Sunglasses, etc... But this one has, and always will be, my favorite even with the new knowledge of me saying it wrong all this time. Like most blues-rock songs around this time, this was later part of a big copyright infringement lawsuit (and like with many of them it was decided that the original song writer didn't do all the right paperwork,) but they certainly weren't the worst (or highest ranked) when it came to those matters. And besides, where exactly is the line between influence and ripoff?

Mon May 01, 2023 4:32 pm
The Kramer

You're looking good, just like a snake in the grass, one of these days you're gonna break your glass

33. Don't Bring Me Down by Electric Light Orchestra

-Quite different from their normal fare, which usually featured .. you know ... an orchestra. Don't Bring Me Down definitely brings the electric light though. I was as shocked as anyone when I first heard it on a road trip with my dad. "Who is this?" young Flava'd asked. "ELO" he responded. "Really?" There's no way this is the same band that made Mr Blue Sky and Evil Woman. And apparently it was very close to never happening as Jeff Lyne claims this was a last second addition to the album, one that was written the same day it was recorded because there weren't enough "loud songs". Well loud is a great way to describe it. Who doesn't get pumped up when they hear those opening drums hit? Really one of the my favorite drum beats ever. And, chart wise, it peaked higher than any of their others so I guess that many people agreed with me about it being their best until Guardians 2 brought MBS back in a big way.

Mon May 01, 2023 5:04 pm
The Kramer

You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, know when to run

32. The Gambler by Kenny Rogers

-I have a confession on this one. While I had heard it before from movies and department stores, it never clicked with me ... until the Geico commercial. That marketing department throws so much shit at the wall but every now and then they find something that really works (I think the Cavemen were around this time too.) And while I don't have any need for car insurance, I'm glad they turned me on to quite frankly one of the best written songs of the decade. Some great advice from Kenny here, both for poker and life.

Mon May 01, 2023 7:42 pm
Devil's Advocate

I like the concept of the Gambler but I can't get behind the cheese execution of it.

Mon May 01, 2023 8:07 pm
The Kramer

There's a time for love and a time for letting it be

31. Jane by Jefferson Starship

-Ditching their airplan for a starship, these Jeffersons (though no one in the band was actually named Jefferson...) powered their way into the future, and just barely made the cutoff date in October of 1979. And no, this is not the first time that Orange Cassidy's current theme song has made a Flava'd Fifty. Although it will probably be the last unless he just happens to revert back to the original Best Friends' music while I just happen to do an all wrestling themes list (...) That wasn't the first time I came into contact with Jane though. We have Wet Hot American Summer, the movie and then again with the tv show a decade later, to thank for that. Now this shit is everywhere. Rightfully so in my opinion. Except that the lyrics would probably be problematic by today's standards. He had it right in the second line of the song, I posted above, but he just can't quit Jane.

Tue May 02, 2023 3:16 am
The Kramer

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-31)
That will be it for today. I went to the Fucked Up (this is the actual name of their band) concert tonight and am all musiced out. Amazing show though. Absolutely killed it on Queen of Hearts and Police.

Tue May 02, 2023 3:29 am
The Kramer

Back again on a ... surprisingly cold May day. What's up with that? Well it's not gonna prevent us from getting more songs today.

So lets travel back in time once more to the swinging seventies!

Tue May 02, 2023 2:40 pm
The Kramer

When you believe in things you don't understand, then you suffer

30. Superstition by Stevie Wonder

-I went back and forth on whether to use Superstition or Higher Ground (Sir Duke would have also been a good choice.) What settled the matter is actually the other versions of these songs - they both are done by white people as well. And I hate to say it, but I kinda like the Red Hot Chili Peppers version of Higher Ground a little bit more while Stevie's Superstition is far superior to the Jeff Beck version (though its still a decent song.) It's just got that funk in it. While Stevie and Motown in general lean R&B/Soul for most of their songs, they could always pull of a hell of a jam if they wanted. And the lyrics hold up pretty well too. Stevie Wonder is blind and even he can see that superstition aint the way. Though, I imagine Stevie wouldn't have minded so much if he knew what conspiracy culture would become. I'd much rather deal with some random chick who thinks black cats are bad luck than a congressional representative who believes the jews control the weather with space lasers.

Tue May 02, 2023 2:47 pm
The Kramer

He'll rip your lungs out Jim, huh, I'd like to meet his tailor

29. Werewolves Of London by Warren Zevon

-Ah oooooooo. Some of you kids might better know this song from its sampling on Future Senator Kid Rock's smash hit "All Summer Long." I can't stand that guy outside the studio ... but that was a banger, I'll admit. More importantly, for me at least, was the song inspiring my second favorite horror movie ever - An American Werewolf In London. I don't think this song is quite as literal as the movie. Warren seems to be portraying the posh types, the high society grifters, the callous ladies man, etc... as the real monsters in his country. While trying to find the best lyric to post, I see that Warren Zevon actually hated this song and didn't even want it on the album ... Artists are weird ... Am I right?

Tue May 02, 2023 3:21 pm
The Kramer

These songs are all so damn good that it is somewhat agonizing to keep picking one over the others to go next. :lol: This has been the hardest FF to put together just on a song by song basis.

Tue May 02, 2023 3:22 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-29)
We'll share the shelter of my single bed

28. Is This Love by Bob Marley and The Wailers

-Long before Snoop Lion, Bob Marley was the King of Rastafarian Reggae, or Jamrock as his son Damian (or maybe it was the other one?) would later call it. Perhaps best known for punkrock things like getting up, standing up and shooting the sheriff, Is This Love finds Bob is a much happier place. Success will do that for you. I'm glad to see it. Going softer with your lyrical content, a non-political love song, doesn't have to be the worst thing so long as you maintain the spirit of the original works. And Bob certainly was able to do that until his death in 1981.

Tue May 02, 2023 3:57 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-29)
The jig is up, the news is out, they finally found me

27. Renegade by Styx

-Come Sail Away would have also been a good choice, and I'm sure Cartman will disapprove of me snubbing it. Yet I've always just liked the fun, cowboy style vibe of Renegade just a little bit more. The hangman is coming down from the gallows, about to execute the renegade, yet this is somehow more of a good thrill than a bad one. Mama is the only one out there scared and all alone. A true renegade and just assumes that everything will somehow work out for them ... Until the end when they finally realize that this time, death is really happening, and then the renegade breaks down and begs his mama to save him. A little late for that buddy. Should have listened to her when you were young, I guess.

Tue May 02, 2023 4:18 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-27)
It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap, we gotta get out while we're young, cause tramps like us, baby we were...

26. Born To Run by Bruce Springsteen

-After missing out on the 80s and 90s lists, The Boss is finally acknowledged here on the Flava'd Fifty. Bruce was always one of the best at writing songs about the working man, for the working man (even though he himself never had a real job in his life.) But the lyrics speak to us. In this case, its just about how you dont have to be stuck doing the same thing all your life and sometimes the only way to get out of that life is to never start it in the first place. Run away with your true love if that is the motivation you need. But really, all you need to do is grab a guitar, a black guy to play saxophone and write some transcedent songs that span for multiple generations, all of whom can relate to the timeless words. Easy as that, right? Why don't we all do it?

Tue May 02, 2023 4:25 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-26)
I'll take it

Tue May 02, 2023 4:59 pm
The Kramer

We don't need the ladies crying cause the story's sad

25. Rocky Mountain Way by Joe Walsh

-Can't say for certain if the rocky mountain way is better than the way we had, but having seen both live in the late-stage of their careers, I think I liked Joe Walsh's solo concert a little bit more than the full Eagles. Of course, the Joe show was headlined by Tom Petty and was one of my favorites I've seen, rather than Eagles who always just play on their own. Though I've seen the full band play this song too, so I dunno what I'm talking about honestly. It's pretty wild that this song came out just a few years into the Eagle's run, before they reached their peak success. Makes you wonder why they didn't just throw it on the next album, but I guess when you got that many big ds in a studio it might be easier to just save a few songs for yourself.

This does not count as my Eagles song btw since it has a different singer.

Tue May 02, 2023 7:02 pm
The Kramer

The door was opened and the wind appeared, the candles blew and then disappeared

24. Don't Fear The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult

-I put on my pants one leg at a time, except after I put them on I make flava'd fifties. Look, this song is great on its own, there's no denying that, but Will Ferrell and Christopher Walken did just as much for its legacy as Blue Oyster Cult themselves. And let's not forget the time Will Ferrell reprised the character during his first time as host, performing the song Little Sister with Queens of the Stone Age. Classic stuff. Also, around the same time I was watching the Best Of Will Ferrell dvd over and over, the band Caesars covered this song. I always it was a bit arrogant of them to say the line "caesars don't fear the reaper" but it turns out thats "Seasons don't fear the reaper" ... Which makes alot more sense when paired with the next line "nor do the wind, the sun or the rain." I guess it was the lonely starbucks lovers in my mind that made the error. And with them came a FEVER! And the only prescription ... is more COWBELL!

Tue May 02, 2023 9:53 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-24)
Now if you're feeling kinda low about the dues you've been paying, the future's coming much too slow

23. Peace Of Mind by Boston

-Despite naming this list after a different song (More Than A Feeling), and jamming out to yet another on Guitar Hero (Long Time), Peace of Mind wins out in the battle of Boston. MTAF was also in the air band episode of Scrubs which introduced me to Boston (that show was great at picking high quality tunes.) But I dunno, peace of mind just sounds such a reasonable thing to ask for. It doesn't hurt anyone else, nor does it require anyone to sacrifice anything on your behalf. Society deems it unnecessary though, and our lives are mostly based around finding new things to be worried about. Ah well, that's why we have music. To escape our reality while confronting it at the same time.

Tue May 02, 2023 11:34 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-23)
Making love with his ego

22. Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie

-This song was all fun and games until someone decide to name an actual huntsman spider after David Bowie. Now the people of malysia will always associate him with nightmares. Though, to be honest, as far as spiders go, its pretty good looking. It's like neon gold with spikes up and down its legs. I wonder if, like the titular character in this song, the David Bowie spider started to believe its own hype and look down on the other spiders. Is that why it left Australian, where all scary things originate, to join Southeast Asia? I can't say for certain. Bowie had some other songs worthy of being on here, like The Man Who Sold The World (which I first heard on Nirvana Unplugged and then later on in Metal Gear Solid 5) or Suffragate City but I've always had a soft spot for the spiders.

Wed May 03, 2023 2:57 am
Keeping it Light

Post Re: More Than A Flava'd Fifty: 70s EditionGate (50-22)
One thing seems for sure to me, 70's music is underrated.

Wed May 03, 2023 5:12 pm
now we know

Flava'd vs The World wrote:

Excellent. One of my favourite tracks ever since I saw Scream in the late 90s. It's used in such a sexy way, too. The scene where Neve is in her PJs in her bedroom and Billy sneaks in through the window.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed May 03, 2023 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Gosh I have been out of it today. I better not have covid again or else I'm gonna be super pissed.

Will try to get a few of these in before I fall asleep again. :funny:

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Wed May 03, 2023 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 03, 2023 9:21 pm
The Kramer

stuffp wrote:
One thing seems for sure to me, 70's music is underrated.
Yeah even I came into this thinking that the countdown would be very samey but there actually was a lot more than dad rock going on here and now I agree that decade doesn't get enough credit for that. Feels like the nostalgia train skipped from the swingin 60s right to the groovy 80s.

Wed May 03, 2023 9:23 pm
The Kramer

Algren wrote:
Flava'd vs The World wrote:

Excellent. One of my favourite tracks ever since I saw Scream in the late 90s. It's used in such a sexy way, too. The scene where Neve is in her PJs in her bedroom and Billy sneaks in through the window.
Forgot about that scene! I wonder if that is what inspired SNL to make their sketch. :)

Wed May 03, 2023 9:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next