Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 2023: Music In Review 
The Kramer

Post Re: 2023: Music In Review
37. Scaring The Hoes by JpegMafia and Danny Brown - 5
38. Generational Curse by IceColdBishop* - 7

Some hip-hoppers here for a little bit of a change of pace. Jpeg and Danny have both done stuff I like in the past, on their own, but together the whole thing was just too hyper for me to enjoy.

IceColdBishop was similiar, but scaled back just enough. His accents are tough to deal with at times, but the beats are always rock solid.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:33 pm
The Kramer

39. But Here We Are by Foo Fighters - 9.4

-I saw Foo Fighters live over Memorial day weekend at the Sonic Temple festival, only their third show back with new drummer Josh Freese replacing the late Taylor Hawkins. And honestly ... it was probably my most disappointing set of the whole weekend. At the time, I blame all these "slow" songs for messing up their usual vibe of relentless positive energy. However, after listening to this new album (which wasn't released yet at the time of the show), I think it might have actually been the opposite. This is a new version of the Foo Fighters and it's deep and emotionally heavy. In a good way though; we are grieving together and moving on together. So, with that in mind, I think the jarring juxtoposition of this somber version of the band constantly swapping out with the happy-go-lucky old songs like Learn To Fly and Monkey Wrench was what made the set weird. I kinda wish they had just played this entire new album and then done a short greatest hits set for the encore. It doesn't really fit with the rest of their discography, but I think it is a top 3 Foos album for me now (with Colour+Shape and Wasting Light being my other favs.) You can rest now, Mr. Hawkins. Your legacy is in good hands.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:42 pm
The Kramer

40. - (Subtract) by Ed Sheeran - 5.9

-I liked the first three songs and was ready to come in here with a review like 'while it may not be a total return to form, I prefer this Ed Sheeran over the last few years' or something like that, yadda yadda yadda. Gosh does this album just go on and on and on and on and on though. You could have easily cut six songs off of it and no one would be able to tell the difference. So it was disappointing, but I'll just try to be happy with the new songs that I did like in between plays of Divide.

Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:32 pm
Devil's Advocate

I think he had the right idea of pulling a folklore, as seen by the music videos for the two songs I like the most (Salt Water and Spark) having an outdoorsy ocean setting, however his songwriting ability it not as consistently good as Taylor.

Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:28 pm
The Kramer

Shack wrote:
I think he had the right idea of pulling a folklore, as seen by the music videos for the two songs I like the most (Salt Water and Spark) having an outdoorsy ocean setting, however his songwriting ability it not as consistently good as Taylor.
He should have fully followed through and split the album in two lol.

41. Gag Order by Kesha - 4

-I'm glad Kesha is trying something new and it seems to be making her happy. This was not for me though. It sounded like an entire album of interludes lol.

42. Every Loser by Iggy Pop - 7

-Going back to the 70s for the FF had me listening to The Stooges pretty heavily for a weeks there. So why not give modern day Iggy a shot too? And sure, he does the old man voice with old man problems for at least half the album (think old Lou Reed or old Johnny Cash.) Yet the other is suprisingly energetic. Working with pop producer Andrew Watt (best known for Havana ooh na na) was a smart idea as it keeps things moving and the album is overall quite pleasant.

Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:33 pm
The Kramer

43. Council Skies by Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - 6.5

-Noel has officially been shuffled to the Adult Alternative section on apple music. We used to call that VH1 Rock, but AA is equally dull lol. This album is solid, all the songs are well written, but it does give off a "going through the motions" vibe too. It's no wonder Noel is opening for Garbage instead of headlining his own tour. And he needs to stop talking shit about The 1975 even though its the hip thing to do right now. Still, even though Liam's latest album was a little bit better, I'd still take more solo Noel of the Oasis brothers any day.

Also, I bumped Paramore's album up a couple of points after seeing them live. What a great show!

Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:42 pm
The Kramer

44. Toxic Positivity by The Used - 7.5
45. The Jaws of Life by Pierce the Veil - 6.6

Two classic emo bands that just happen to be touring together and I just happen to be going to that very show this Saturday.

The Used’s album was pretty good, but they did make a very curious choice to omit the two singles that were used to promote the album - People Are Vomit and Fuck You. I guess they said those two songs didn’t fit the conceptual theme of the album … but they would have also been the two best songs on the album so who really cares? Still, lots of good songs on here like Cherry, Top of the World and I Hate Everybody (which seems like it would thematically fit with People Are Vomit but who am I to say?)

The Piece the Veil album was fine, yet also forgettable and I probably won’t pop for any of their new songs. We will all be waiting on King For A Day lol. Though I do like their previous album, before they took a hiatus, a lot too. Listen if you need an emo fix and have already listened to the Used.

Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:02 pm
The Kramer

46. Lucky For You by Bully - 8.2

Bully is relatively new (first album was like 2013ish?) but they definitely have the 90s alt rock girl vibe to them. Think Garbage mixed with Bikini Kill. I've been following them for awhile now, but they really stepped into their own on 2020s Sugaregg album, which I ranked at #11 for the entire year. However, what I didn't know at the time, is that singer Alicia Bognanno basically turned this into a solo project in 2019 and started doing all the instruments herself (though she still does tour with a band.) Normally I am critical of this, I've certainly given Mr. Brenden Urie quite a lot of shit for it over the years ... but hell the results speak for themselves cause she has delivered another great album as a One (wo)Man Band. I'd say A Wonderful Life was my favorite song from first two listens but that could easily change on the third!

Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:41 pm
The Kramer

47. Nacksaw Jim Duggan by Estee Nack* - 6.1
48. Gentlemen of Leisure by The Musalini* and John Dutch* - 7.9

Some more hip-hoppers here. I mentioned to a work friend that I hadn't heard a great rap album since Lil Simz back in December and they gave me a bunch of reccomendations.

While I appreciated all the wrestling references on Nacksaw, Estee's rapping style is basically just like Action Bronson (who also loves wrestling) and thatout-of-breath style doesn't really work for me. Still a decent record though.

Gentlemen of Leisure was very interesting. It's hypnotic in a way, where I could just sit back and vibe out rather than paying attention to the lyrics. Not sure I've ever heard progressive rock vibes in a rap album before so that was really cool. I might bump it up higher on subsequent listens.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:05 pm
The Kramer

49. Feed The Beast by Kim Petras - 6

-Kim Petras blew up in between albums thanks to guest starring (very briefly) on the #1 hit Unholy. She's been positioned as the reigning, defending, undisputed champion of the trans community in pop music. Great for her, she deserves all the money, but would it change things about her music? This album is full of catchy tracks ... yet is also almost exactly what I was worried about - an album that could have been made by any half-decent popstar. That's just what happens when you get a push in this genre. So I won't put all the blame on Sam Smith and his stupid face. Glad she was still able to put on some bangers like Thousand Pieces and Revelations though.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:49 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Have you heard her featured on Paris Hilton's "Stars Are Blind (Paris' Version)" released a few weeks ago?

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:24 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I hadn't heard that, but I'd say its right in between the goofy, fun-loving Petras that I love and this new mainstream version of her lol.

Rollingstone put it better than I could (though still gave the album a 6/10 which is much kinder than the words written would suggest) - "In chasing her new status as the type of pop star who has top 40 potential, she abandoned the freakishly forward thinking personality that built her a fanbase to begin with. Here, the beast has been tamed." Maybe a little harsh, but mostly true. Weird to be saying the same things my cool friends in high school accused Green Day of about a trans popstar though. What a world we live in.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:36 pm
The Kramer

50. The Seventh Sun by Bury Tomorrow* - 5.9
51. Living Proof by Drain* - 6.0
52. Periphery V: Djent Is Not A Genre by Periphery* - 8.8

Three metal bands that I just recently discovered, although all fit into different corners of the genre.

Bury Tomorrow was another recommendation from r/metalcore and while it was a solid listen, I didn't find it as memorable as some of the other things that sub has given me this year. Just a very strong year for the genre and it takes alot to stick out right now.

Drain is a riotfest band, and probably would be more hardcore than metal, but its close enough to count. The album is only 25 minutes long, so it was mostly risk free and pretty decent at that. Yet, with how many artists I like already playing that festival, I doubt Drain will pull me away to whatever stage they are playing.

Periphery is all over the map and I dig it. Sometimes they do have the modern metalcore sound ... but then they'll just randomly end the song with a two minute bit of classical music that could fit in on a Hans Zimmer score. There's guitar solos and breakdowns, two things that are usually mutually exclusive. You could tell me every song was by a different band and I wouldn't have argued. The album is super long though at 70 minutes, so make sure you have the time to properly appreciate it before diving in. Everything Is Fine! Was my favorite track.

Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:43 pm
The Kramer

53. In Times New Roman by Queens of the Stone Age - 9.1

-After a long six year hiatus, partially due to covid and partially due to burnout, Queens of the Stone Age return with some of their finest work to date. The Villains album had some good songs on it, but one could tell they weren't feeling it like with the past records. I remember seeing them live that year and they had barely any energy whatsoever and it lead to a pretty boring show. Well, they started the turnaround about a month ago at the Sonic Temple fest and absolutely killed it. That should have been a sign, but since they only played one new song there I thought maybe, just maybe, it wasn't worth getting too hyped about. Wrong! You can tell they are having a great time just from the wordplay in the song titles, the best being "Paper Machete", "What The Peephole Say" and "Carnovoyeur". Queens mix their signature alt-punk guitar riffs with a more classic rock song, vibing with the 70s list I made not that long ago. In a way it feels like the Foo Fighters would do ... but its not at all redundant since the Foos themselves have gone in a different direction with their music. Josh Homme and the crew took their worst period (as rich famous musicians...) and turned it into gold in a way that only the greatest artists can do.

Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:21 pm
The Kramer

54. The Good Witch by Maisie Peters* - 9.4

-Coming out of nowhere from across the Atlantic, my initial hypebolic overreactive thoughts on Maisie is that she sounds like Fearless era Taylor is writing for 1989 era Taylor. It's probably closer to other recent alternative emopop acts like Beach Bunny or even Olivia Rodrigo. It's a major breakup album, but rather than just stew in her misery with only a piano or acoustic guitar for company, Peters puts her feelings into some of the most bubbly, bouncy and infectous beats. She's processing her emotions while moving on at the same time. That's some good mental healthin right there. My favorite song is "Lost the Breakup", but they're all really good, with maybe a couple lines that are a bit too corny now and then, but nothing that breaks any of the songs.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:29 pm
The Kramer

55. Michael by Killer Mike - 5.8
56. Nobody Bleeds Like Flair by Mickey Diamond* - 4.5

-Almost gave Killer Mike his own post, but his solo album really just made me want to hear more Run The Jewels (the one song with El-P is easily the best on here.) I get why he felt like this would work better as a solo project, its very soulful and r&b based rather than the uber aggresive RTJ style. I just hope he got it out of his system and is ready to go back to what he does best. :-)

-(English speaking)Rappers who like wrestling seem to have a common trait in 2023 - being mid.

Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:38 pm
The Kramer

57. Speak Now (Taylor's Version) by Taylor Swift - 10

-One of the best albums ever is now even better.

Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:28 pm
The Kramer

58. Texas Boy by Mike Dimes - 8.5

-Hip-hop was the one (of my favorite) genres that was lagging behind in 2023 thus far. Mike Dimes had enough of that though! The song with Denzel Curry is my favorite, no surprise, but they're all really good.

Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:52 pm
The Kramer

59. The Brightest Days by Origami Angel - 7
60. Tear Me To Pieces by Story of the Year - 7.5

Two emo bands here, one new and one very old. I first heard of the Gami gang on the riotfest card, and while this new album is fine, their first two were much better.

I didn't even know Story of the Year was still making music. But this was surprisingly good. Perhaps I misjudged them as a one-hit wonder (Until the Day I Diiiiiieee.)

Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:01 pm
The Kramer

61. Evergreen by Pvris - 7.5
62. Cult Classic by Daisy Grenade - 6.5
63. The Answer Is Always Yes by Alex Lahey - 6.9

Some alternative gals here for ya.

Pvris albums are difficult to judge since their songs sound way better live. So I'll have to reevaluate this in the next few years. :P Take My Nirvana was my favorite on the initial listen, but I predict Goddess will be the most fun live.

Daisy Grenade opened for Meet Me at the Altar early this year. They sounded pretty good. And the album is fine. I do wish they'd drop the accents, but the music and most of the vocals are solid as they deal with young girl problems.

Alex Lahey, from Austrailia mate, has a nice comeback from a kinda meh last album. Still not quite the level of her debut from ... 2017 (wow ... really? Six years should last longer than that) ... and now I've lost track of things.

Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:52 pm
The Kramer

64. Chemistry by Kelly Clarkson - 7.7

-I almost forgot about this due to Taylor and Maisie taking over my pop rotation for the last few weeks. Thankfully I membered eventually, and equally thankfully Kelly Clarkson remembered she was a pop star instead of just a tv show host. While she is still trying to be kAdele rather than the old Kelly I knew and loved, this is a much better effort than her last two albums (which were fine but also kinda boring.) I guess it helps that it isn't just another breakup album for her, becoming more personal than a simple 'how could you??' High Road was my favorite song.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:16 pm
The Kramer

65. Magic 2 by Nas - 8.8

-After completing his King's Disease trilogy with the uber impressive KD3 at the end of 2022, Nas returns to his Magic project. After thirty years in the game, it really shouldn't be up to Nas to deliver the best hip-hop album of the year (so far), but dammit he was up for the challenge anyway! He may not be my overall #1, but Nas has to be the most consistent rapper of all time. He just keeps popping out 8s no matter what year it is. Black Magic is probably the best song, but I also love how he made a song about Bokeem Woodbine, a terrific and until now very underlooked actor.

Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:30 pm
The Kramer

66. The Loveliest Time by Carly Rae Jepsen - 6

-Maybe a 6 is a little too low, but this is the first time I've ended a Carly album (twice) and been disappointed. There are some good songs on here like the lead single Shy Boy and Stadium Love. Kamikaze, Aeroplanes, About Last Night are also pretty solid. So if there's five good songs, more than most people would have, then why so disappointed? I guess it just feels like the usual Carly magic is what as absent and badly missed. Most of these songs could have been made by any ole Dua Lipa out there. Usually Carly songs feel like they can only be made by Carly. That sort of personified individuality is what draws me to certain popstars and on The Lovelies Time it just ain't here. So hopefully something like Psychedelic Switch will be a big hit so at least something positive will come from this. Also, since I don't want to end a Carly review on a bad note, I do think her vocal work is as good as ever, its just the production that left me cold. Maybe she should have waited till October to iron them out a bit more?

Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:42 pm
The Kramer

67. Utopia by Travis Scott - 10

-While assembling a superteam of producers and featured artists certainly helped get Utopia to the highest in the room, I gotta give so much credit to Travis himself. There's an aggresive melacholy on this album which is something common in the rock world, but pretty rare for modern hip-hop (not since Kanye became Ye anyway.) Like "I feel terrible for what happened and that shit is gonna haunt me for the rest of my life but fuck you all for trying to make it worse." Not an exact quote, but a vibe. I Know is the best example of this lyrically. Drum-fueled tracks like Modern Jam, Circus Maximus (which may as well be a sequel to Black Skinhead) and Looovve just weren't found on his previous albums. Though he didn't just leave his old sound behind, he's perfected that too with songs like Meltdown and Schitzo most resembling his most famous - Sicko Mode. I remember thinking at track 8 'wow this is amazing, if only it wasn't so long it'd be a classic' and then it somehow gets even better for the run between song 9 (Delresto ft. Beyonce) and the previous mentioned Looove at 16. The star-studded K-Pop then sounds like its gonna mess everything up by being an attempted crossover single in the vein of goosebumps, antidote or yosemite (my least favorites from his other albums), but even that song ends up being a banger as it switches from an urbano beat for Bad Bunny's part to some shit straight out of Wakanda when The Weeknd comes on. There's no dead time in the entire 75 minutes. Even the slow songs/interludes have value. Utopia is a rush from beginning to end.

Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:42 pm
The Kramer

68. Glockoma 2 by Key Glock - 7.2
69. Conway The Machine Presents: Drumwork the Album - 6.8
70. Pink Tape by Lil Uzi Vert - 6.9
71. Directors Cut 4 by Ransom and Nicholas Craven - 5

-Figured it would be a good time to catch up on all the hip-hopping that had been sitting in my library.

Glock is probably the best of the bunch. He is like a mix of the current, traptune, sound and some old school sounds. It was pretty good.

The Conway album is a compilation, which I don't get in to as easily as something from a solo artist (even if that solo artist has the same amount of features.) Was a good listen, but I doubt I'll be going back.

Uzi's album is the one I'm most split on. X2 is a great song. The Bring Me The Horizon and Babymetal songs are better than alot of those band's own recent singles. Nakamura is a ton of fun and would be perfect for Shinsuke's entrance now that he is heel again. But the album runs so damn long and it is so damn goofy. Also, I can't decide if the cover of Chop Suey is a fun way to introduce a whole new generation of fans to System of a Down ... or if its an abomination that should never been spoken of again.

The Ransom album was fine I guess but also sounded like a million other albums I've heard, thus the low grade.

I've listened to Travis Scott six times now and am sticking with the 10.

Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next