Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Flava'd Fifty XI - Best of 2022 (Albums and Songs complete!) 
The Kramer

Post Flava'd Fifty XI - Best of 2022 (Albums and Songs complete!)
It's that time of the year again. The time to look back and place every good song we heard this year into a battle royale. And then do the exact same thing with the albums! Cause why would all these people make the music if they didn't want me ranking them? It would make no sense!

A little late start this year. But still should be able to get it all done before the new year. Should...

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:57 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:20 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Flava'd Fifty XI - Best of 2022
Recap of 2021:

1. Devastation - Beartooth
2. Girl Is A Gun - Halsey
3. Good 4 U - Olivia Rodrigo
4. Hip To Be Scared - Ice Nine Kills
5. Good Girls Dont Get Used - Beach Bunny
6. Circle With Me - Spiritbox
7. Blackout - Turnstile
8. Smile - Wolf Alice
9. The Very First Night - Taylor Swift
10. Feel A Thing - Meet Me @ The Altar
11. Broken Pieces Shine - Evanescence
12. She's My Religion - Pale Waves
13. Booker T - Bad Bunny
14. Two Worlds Apart - Little Simz
15. Scatterbrain - Conway The Machine
16. Up - Cardi B
17. Naked Alone - L Devine
18. Simple Times - Kacey Musgraves
19. Oxytocin - Billie Eilish
20. Asking For A Friend - Chvrches
21. Weapon - Against The Current
22. Oblivion - Royal Blood
23. Walking At A Downtown Pace - Parquet Courts
24. Rapstar - Polo G
25. Beautiful Way - You Me At Six
26. Big Cat Judgment Day - With Confidence
27. Self Destructor - Chevelle
28. Rare - Nas
29. Flux - Poppy
30. Slide Tackle - Japanese Breakfast
31. Knife Under My Pillow - Maggie Lindemann
32. Hollywood Sucks - KennyHoopla
33. Black Lungs - Architects
34. Future Starts Now - Kim Petras
35. Precious Metal Girl - Weezer
36. Heart On Fire - Eric Church
37. The Room It Was - Cloud Nothings
38. Ben Franklin - Snail Mail
39. In Another Life - Crown The Empire with Courtney LaPlante
40. Karma - Mod Sun
41. Jail - Kanye West with Jay-Z
42. Higher Power - Coldplay
43. Take Me Away - Ayron Jones
44. New Shapes - Charli XCX with Christine & the Queens and Caroline Polachik
45. Transparentsoul - Willow
46. Making A Fire - Foo Fighters
47. Kill The Ache - Currents
48. Bite Me - Avril Lavigne
49. Nothing To Say - New Found Glory
50. Heat Waves - Glass Animals

Can't believe I had Olivia so high lol. It was a huge part of last year, but not sure if I even played G4U once in 2022. And the next five songs after it are still so damn good. Goes to show how big of a difference a year makes.

Overall though, this list held up as well as the best of them. 2021 was a fantastic year for rock music which fit since it coincided with the return of live music. I'll just say that 2022 has a much different balance of genres at the top of the list. That's the ebb and flow of music. Next year it could be back to rock.

I'll do some close calls in a little bit and then start the list properly tomorrow!

Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:26 pm
The Kramer

Close calls!

Nightmare (Reprise) by Halsey - Nightmare came out like five years ago, but never landed on an album. It was a good song, but this new version, produced by Trent Reznor to fit in with her newest album, is just so much better than the original. Really goes to show how a few simple tweaks can lead someone from good to great. Yet, I didn't feel right putting this old of a song, even a remixed one, on the FF.

Happy Birthday In The Sky by Placebo - I've always been aware of Placebo, but could never consider myself a fan until this year. They were scheduled to have a huge comeback tour, though were unable to come to America for it due to some issues with their visas. That was lame, and they got dropped out of the the main list because of it, but I'm very glad I took a trip through their discography as their was a ton of great stuff I missed.

There Better Be A Mirrorball by Arctic Monkeys - I've stated many times that I'm not a huge fan of this era of the Arctic Monkeys and would like to see them return to their roots. However, that doesn't mean they aren't still producing good songs.

Miracle by A Day To Remember - after stumbling a bit last year with the You're Welcome album, ADTR appear to be back on a good path with this one.

Riptide by Beartooth - Last year's #1 artist only released this standalone single. It's fine, catchy, but also kinda sounds like they're chasing a crossover hit. I'm not sure such a thing is even possible these days.

Lux eterna by Metallica - Much like Hardwired, the boys released a short (by their standard) single to promote their new album and new tour coming next year. I'm sure this will be extended into an eight minute jam at said tour.

Foundation of Decay by My Chemical Romance - I didn't like this song at first, and still think the studio version is poorly mixed. It sounded great live though, really pumping the crowd into a frenzy before they launched into their hits.

Bend Not Break by Girls 5eva - A great season 2 for the fictional girl band of this tv show (lead by Sarah Bareilles.) The leave a message song is also worth checking out if you don't have time for the full series.

And finally...

Do You Wanna Taste It by Wig Wam - This song is ten years old (though it sounds like it should be forty years old) and therefore couldn't place. But it has to be the most fun I had with a song that wasn't on the main list. Normally I'd find this type of thing cringe, however it turns to gold when paired with the cast of Peacemaker doing a funny dance.

Take us out Wig Wam...

Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:29 pm
The Kramer

The history of #1s!

2022: Surrender My Heart - Carly Rae Jepsen
2021: Devastation - Beartooth
2020: Dream Boy - Beach Bunny
2019: Cruel Summer - Taylor Swift
2018: Now or Never Now - Metric
2017: Need To Feel Your Love - Sheer Mag
2016: Forget Me Now - Against the Current
2015: Dead Inside - Muse
2014: Oh My Darling Don't Cry - Run the Jewels
2013: Unbelievers - Vampire Weekend
2012: Little Talks - Of Monsters and Men
2011: Get Away - Yuck
2010: Dance Yourself Clean - LCD Soundsystem
2009: Panic Switch - Silversun Pickups
2008: All Nightmare Long - Metallica
2007: Through the Fire and Flames - Dragonforce
2006: When You Were Young - The Killers
2005: Helena - My Chemical Romance
2004: Ch-Check It Out - Beastie Boys
2003: Faint - Linkin Park

Albums:

2022: Being Funny In A Foreign Language - The 1975
2021: Below - Beartooth
2020: Evermore - Taylor Swift
2019: Dedicated - Carly Rae Jepsen
2018: Art Of Doubt - Metric
2017: Need To Feel Your Love - Sheer Mag
2016: In Our Bones - Against The Current
2015: Chasing Yesterday - Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
2014: 1989 - Taylor Swift
2013: Modern Vampires Of The City - Vampire Weekend
2012: Be The Void - Dr. Dog
2011: Something To Die For - The Sounds
2010: This Is Happening - LCD Soundsystem
2009: It's Blitz! - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
2008: Death Magnetic - Metallica
2007: Sound of Silver - LCD Soundsystem
2006: The Black Parade - My Chemical Romance
2005: Plans - Death Cab For Cutie
2004: To The 5 Boroughs - Beastie Boys
2003: Meteora - Linkin Park

And first updated is coming uppppp next.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:52 pm
The Kramer

I don't wanna take the long way home, but I don't wanna find another way

50. Permanent Rebellion by LS Dunes

-LS Dunes were one of the great mysteries of 2022. They started popping on tours and festivals early in the year and people were all like "who the heck are they?" That was a good question as they had not released a single song, nor announced anything about themselves. Naturally, the sleuths on the internet figured it out via things like who was following them on instagram. First it was Anthony Green, singer of the bands Saosin and Circa Survive. Next was Frank Iero, guitarist of My Chemical Romance. Tim Payne and Tucker Rule from Thursday joined next, with Travis Stever from Coheed and Cambria filling out the supergroup. Yet still, nobody knew what they'd sound like until they actually played those live shows. It was a crazy way to start a new band that could have only worked in our modern age. And the idea of permanent rebellion also really fit the emo revival brought about by When We Were Young, both the festival and the spirit.

Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:00 pm
The Kramer

Better have conviction, cause we want crimes of passion

49. This Is Why by Paramore

-It's been five years since Paramore last was on the scene. It's also been about the same amount of time since Haley claimed she was never playing Misery Business again. Alot has changed though. We've hit a nostalgia sweet spot for 2000s emo music and suddenly Paramore went from playing small theaters to giant stadiums. I was iffy on This Is Why at first, preferring a return to their Riot roots, but it has since grown on me (obviously.) Just the idea that they would combine this huge return with a song about why they would rather not is pretty funny. It's also very groovy,

Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:05 pm
The Kramer

But that's old news, spreading love now, sick of police lights, sick of gun sounds

48. Magic by Vince Staples and Mustard

-Magic is another song that took me a minute to warm up to. Within its lyrics, its about celebrating how far Vince has come in life, from the streets to the studio. A similiar story that we've heard from him before. Yet here the euphoria of just how much his life has changed really hits. For him, that's a very good thing. Yet it also takes us back to our own younger days, which weren't necessarily as difficult. Me and my friends cruising a blunt around, dropping someone off, then going to pick someone else up to do the same thing. It's not something I crave to do anymore, but damn, at the time it felt like magic.

Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:12 pm
The Kramer

Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?

47. Chaise Longue by Wet Leg

-Wet Leg are one of the breakout new artists of 2022. You can probably tell from the video that they weren't bringing in a ton of money before this song. Yet I think its great that people like this can still make a name for themselves. Usually the only alt-rock artists that get any traction are the ones selling their songs directly to hulu commercials. Wet Leg can just make a song about messing around (mostly via sex) instead of going about whatever your duty is. Very much rooting for them to take best new artist at the grammys.

Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:18 pm
The Kramer

And that's the first update down for I must get ready for work. More songs may come later ... Will depend on how tired I am when I get home.

Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:19 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Flava'd Fifty XI - Best of 2022 (50-47!)
The Paramore song is decent

Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:29 am
The Kramer

Shack wrote:
The Paramore song is decent
The second single is solid too. I have high hopes for the album in February!

I think I'll try for two quick updates before going in to work. So let's get this party started.

Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:58 pm
The Kramer

Trying to achieve answers from this endless zero that fills my whole being

46. Pyramiden by Syk

-This ten-minute epic metal song made it mostly because of its awesome opening. Those drums are absolutely going nuts. The lyrics are appropriately depressing in the most macro way possible. Yet, a little digging shows that Pyramiden is a real place instead of just a cool word they made up. It's an abandoned coal mine in the furthest reaches of the north, which causes anxiety even thinking about it (I'm struggling with this 20 degree weather.) The more fun part is that the mine is located in the Svalbard region though, a place that I just happened to be reading about. Now, our world didn't have the epic battle between the new king of Bears Iorek Byrnison and Iofur Raknison, but if it had this song would be a perfect fit to score it.

Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:05 pm
The Kramer

Radical rather than rhetorical, babble like an oracle, why am I always in your debt?

45. The Dying Song (Time To Sing) by Slipknot

-We last saw Slipknot three years ago, in the before times, when they came ever so close to topping the list with All Out Life, only to beaten out by a mean season. They also placed #12 that year with Unsainted, before I changed the rules to only allow one song per artist (with certain exceptions.) We Are Not Your Kind was a triumphant return and, at least to me, matched up with their very best from the late 90s and early 00s. It was a mix of the chaotic metalcore of their past and a big sound that could be played in big arenas that represented their present. 2022's The End So Far continued this trend, perhaps getting even bigger. The Dying Song leads the way, a critique on our current world where people continuously get caught up in petty arguments whilst simultaneously ignoring (or merely content with pointing fingers) the world breaking issues that get more and more frequent. Listening to their music, you wouldn't expect Corey to be so into preaching positivity, but he does it so frequently during the live shows that it may as well be part of the band.

Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:18 pm
The Kramer

Quick break, then another quick update, then hopefully a quick night at work! Maybe we can even listen to DJ Quick while doing all this!

Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:20 pm
Devil's Advocate

Wish I could hear the Bieber mashup version of that song

Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:49 pm
The Kramer

Shack wrote:
Wish I could hear the Bieber mashup version of that song
:hahaha: :hahaha: Bieber needs to get in good with rock crowd like Miley Cyrus has.

Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:57 pm
The Kramer

If you understand that a few years won't erase it, might die if you can't live just to taste it

44. Want Want by Maggie Rogers

-We all want something, many somethings in fact. How many things have you want-wanted though? Maggie want-wants someone to start a new romance with in this song, that much is plain, but I think it can apply to other things as well. Like people who want-wanted to see her perform at Coachella last year even though they couldn't afford it (I want want to be one of those people one day.) Many people reading this thread will want-want me to post more songs that they already know. I personally want wanted Maggie's second album to be as good as her first and she got close enough.

Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:03 pm
The Kramer

I fear the way to my cove will fade away

43. Master The Hurricane by Visions of Atlantis

-This metal song is part of a greater concept album about Pirates. It is appropriately operatic in that sense, with an orchestra and choir accompanying the main band. Yet I love the song cause I don't think you have to be a pirate to relate (though who among us isn't a pirate?) I live in the northen midwest, so we don't have to worry about hurricanes much at all (just the arctic polar vortex bombs - totally different.) Just the idea of navigating your way through a tough day off is enough though. The best fantasy should always be a parable of real life, but with more dragons.

Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:09 pm
The Kramer

Don't ask my opinion on shit 'cause to make you feel good about yourself is exhaustin'

42. Gorilla by Little Simz

-Not to be confused by Little Simz' cover of Gorillaz' Feel Good Inc. After receiving career best marks for last August's Sometimes I Might Be Introvert album, Simz decided to stealth drop album #5 right at the end of 2022 to keep her momentum going. Fittingly, my favorite song is all about how she rose from nothing to one of the best of this era - monkey to gorilla. She hits us with two very long verses with no chorus and it feels just right. It might've been higher if it came out earlier in the year, but even getting a song onto the 2022 list was such a pleasant surprise that I don't think anyone can complain.

Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:17 pm
The Kramer

Не tеllѕ mе thіѕ tоwn iѕ а dеаth, it’ѕ hоt аnd dіrtу, eхріrе аt thіrtу

41. Date Night by White Lung

-After a long six years, Canadian punk band White Lung at last released their fifth, and supposedly final album. While its sad to see them go (until they come back,) at least it ends (for now) on a very high note of perhaps their best album to date. I think Date Night is mostly about dealing with life in your hometown as a freshly sober person and all the temptations it hits you with constantly. So yeah, why not burn it down in that case? I'm mostly here for the guitar riffs though. I love how unique they are, constantly shifting and change, never settling for just being enough. Hysteric is a great song too, and probably tied for my fav on my album, but I gave it to Date Night since it has a video to show the band off.

Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:27 pm
The Kramer

And there we go! First ten are down and forty remain. It was tough finding places for Simz, White Lung and two other as yet unrevealed artists whose albums I also heard late in the year. I was thinking about relegating them all to close calls, but December is just as much part of the year as any other month, so I'm glad I found spots for them.

Maybe more later, maybe not, you know the drill. The upcoming winter storm will keep me inside this weekend so I still think I can finish before the new year.

Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:30 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Flava'd Fifty XI - Best of 2022 (50-41!)
It's so cold outside that I've resorted to posting Shrek memes about our employers ("some of you may die, but that is a sacrifice I'm willing to make.) But, so long as I'm indoors, I can keep posting songs ... Unless the wind knocks my internet out again ... Better keep the updates quick again!

Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:38 pm
The Kramer

She loves to be on the edge, her fantasy is okay with me

40. Take My Breath by The Weeknd

-My original review for The Weeknd's Dawn FM - "this album fucks." Probably one of the best I've ever written. I know Take My Breath came out last year, but I only ever heard the 3 minute radio version which is just OK. The extended six minute version, however, really captures the disco Daft Punk style that The Weeknd has done such a fantastic job with over the last few years. So that's why it got the nod over the Wrestlemania theme - Sacrifice. That's also a good song though. They both fuck, but one fucks slightly more.

Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:46 pm
The Kramer

Son menton crenele trahit le flot de larmes

39. De Tes Yeux Bleus Perles by Celeste

-French metal band Celeste really waste no time getting into this one. Definitely one of the coolest song openings of the year. I've been learning French on Duolingo, but very casually and thus can't keep up with the screaming here. My brain wants me to think it's something about looking into your blue eyes, but I don't think that's fully accurate. Let's find out! ...Well I guess I was right, though I can't find any actual lyrics and just used translate.com. I guess that wasn't very exciting, but atleast duolingo is kinda working?

Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:55 pm
The Kramer

We gonna fuck up the night

38. Cuff It by Beyonce

-Beyonce made a disco album! And while it may not have been as comfortable a fit as the nearly unanimous praise would indicate, it was undoubtably a great project for her to take. For me, the album is either her best or just right behind the self-titled from 2013, where she also switched her style up. As for Cuff It, if some rando came up to me and said I'm gonna fuck up the night I'd probably be a bit worried, but the song is so euphoric that I'm down to try whatever Beyonce wants.

Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next