Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Corpstmas's 25 Months of Top Xmas/Yule/Solstice Songs 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Corpstmas's 25 Months of Top Xmas/Yule/Solstice Songs
A day late on getting to this but I made a playlist and checked it twice, so every day until Christmas Day I'll share my Top 25 Christmas, Yuletide, or other Winter Solstice season songs. Including two songs for today since I missed yesterday here later.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:08 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Post Re: Corpstmas's 25 Days of Top Xmas/Yule/Solstice Songs
Nice!

Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:43 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

No. 25: WIZARDS IN WINTER

I don't have many instrumental tracks, kind of wanted to avoid them for the most part, but it wasn't right leaving this one off my list. When I was creating this playlist, I found it's a good first track to have.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I have a good feeling this list will be both holly and jolly.

Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:36 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

No. 24: Put One Foot in Front of the Other

I tried looking up where this song originated but couldn't find it/gave up. Even if this wasn't its origin, I always associated with Santa Claus is Comin' To Town. I watched these old stop-motion Xmas movies as a kid and still watch them this time of year to the day.

Below is a fun cover (based on the above version):

Spoiler: show

Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:30 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

No. 23: Deck the Halls

Falling a little behind here, just like my Christmas shopping every year, so I'll try to post two more later today to catch back up!

Anyway, Deck the Halls is a short and simple carol to get into, and better yet, it's pretty jolly and fun to boot. An impossible number of versions are out there, but I tend to prefer those with large choirs or done with a more grandiose sound since it takes the jolly to a holly jolly level of fa la la la la, fa la la la.

The version I listen to the most is below (gonna try to keep the entries close to the traditional version(s)):

Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

22. A Majestic Christmas Theme

Metal and Christmas carols go excellently together, like hot chocolate with a candy-cane spoon, and this piece here from Majestica is a great example as a melody of classic carols are given the heavy metal Christmas wrapping.

Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Deck the Halls is a good one

Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:09 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

No. 21: My Only Wish (This Year)

Not all Christmas music has to be carols/hymns, metal renditions, or from old classic movies/cartoons, there's still room for some fun pop songs too. My Only Wish is still a fair distance behind some other pop songs on the list, but it's fun to listen to once in a while when the others have played for the Xmillionth time.

Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

No. 20: Snow Miser vs Heat Miser

More so than any of those old classic stop-motion films, A Year Without a Santa Claus was the one I always looked forward to watching the most every year. Not because I *liked* it the most, but rather because of this song! It's proven pretty popular as there are a number of covers, and the above is my personal favorite.

The original (which I don't listen to as much anymore just due to quality), as well as the live-action adaptation are below for anyone interested:

Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:28 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

No. 19: Symphony No. 9 (Ode to Joy)

Next entry comes from Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers (one of the first movies I received through Netflix via mail!). The ending credits song, a Japanese rendition (with original lyrics) of Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 (Ode to Joy) by Keiichi Suzuki, was the perfect choice to close the movie with.

Strongly recommend the movie to anyone who hasn't seen it. One of the best Christmas movies. (91% on RT if that's more motivation!) On Christmas Eve, three homeless people (a runaway teenage girl, a transwoman and her alcoholic friend) discover an abandoned baby in an alleyway trash pile and embark on an adventure to find its parents.

Original below:

Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:37 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Good stuff so far.

Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:44 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

No. 18: Once Upon a December

Beautiful song right up there with some of the best Disney's had to offer in their princess movies. Hits a nostalgic sadness of sorts with an uplifting or hopeful sound. And love a song that builds and builds.

Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

That's a christmas song?

Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:21 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Not exactly, and I don't think the movie takes place in December, but I listen to it this time of year. There's another song that's not technically a Christmas song a little higher up too. If a song is played more around Christmas, or I just happen to listen to it around that time, I considered them.

Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

its not on spotify unfortunately

Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:45 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

The Broadway version/soundtrack is. It's quite similar. I just prefer the original movie version since the build is much better (IMO).

Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

No. 17: Hark! The Herald Angels Sing

No. 1 on the list of Christmas songs needing a proper symphonic/power metal cover. There are a few, but this one really calls for BIG voices, top-notch choir, seasoned orchestra, etc., to get it that grandiose sound.

Most songs with "Angels" in the title also seem to be particularly good, and this one's no different. There are some good church choir versions out there, though I went with Celtic Woman's rendition as my entry for this one.

Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

No. 16: O Little Town of Bethlehem

Even as someone who loves and listens to Christmas songs all month long, sometimes they can get tiresome. But instead of not listening to them, I just seek out different versions to make them fresh again! In this case, Blackmore's Night's rendition of O Little Town of Bethlehem has become my go-to on the Xmas playlist.

More original/traditional version below:
[youtube2]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpHY3jU27dc[/youtube2]

Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:20 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Corpse wrote:

No. 1 on the list of Christmas songs needing a proper symphonic/power metal cover. There are a few, but this one really calls for BIG voices, top-notch choir, seasoned orchestra, etc., to get it that grandiose sound.

Most songs with "Angels" in the title also seem to be particularly good, and this one's no different. There are some good church choir versions out there, though I went with Celtic Woman's rendition as my entry for this one.

Hearing this song is what softened my heart to Christianity and made me devote my life to Jesus! :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:37 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

zwackerm wrote:
Corpse wrote:

Hearing this song is what softened my heart to Christianity and made me devote my life to Jesus! :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

:thumbsup:

It is indeed very beautiful and touching.

Enjoable thread so far!

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:29 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I am falling behind! I'll have to post the next 3 songs tomorrow.

Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

You could just wait till the 24th and post them all at once. Santa Corpse style.

Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:28 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
You could just wait till the 24th and post them all at once. Santa Corpse style.

Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:11 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Corpse wrote:
Flava'd vs The World wrote:

:bat:

Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next