Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Zwackerm's Updated List of the Top 50 Disney Songs 
Hold the door!

Post Re: Zwackerm's Updated List of the Top 50 Disney Songs
41. How Far I'll Go/I Am Moana
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Moana (2016)
Sung by Moana
Performed by Auli'i Cravalho
Music by Lin Manuel Miranda and Mark Mancina Lyrics by Lin Manuel Miranda

This is a great song that is reprised too much in its movie, but can you really blame Disney. Definitely a great I Want song for Moana and the song from the film to get closest in popularity to Let It Go. The premise of the song is clever as it is a reverse "Part of Your World" and the character development in the song helps to make Moana one of Disney's more compelling protagonists. I wish they had come up with a new melody for the song for the emotional climax of the film, but I Am Moana, which should be called How Far I'll Go Reprise 2, gets the job done. On it's own, How Far I'll Go is a great song, and the Moana soundtrack's overreliance on it doesn't keep it from ranking on this list.

Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:16 pm
Hold the door!

40. I Won't Say I'm In Love
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Hercules (1997)
Sung by Megara and the Muses
Performed by Susan Egan, Lillias White, Cheryl Freeman, LaChanze, Roz Ryan and Vanéese Y. Thomas
Music by Alan Menken Lyrics by David Zippel

I don't generally like this song as much as the Muses' songs in Hercules, but it's definitely the best thing in the movie outside of them. It's a very different type of song for Disney to give a female protagonist. Meg's strong personality is expertly portrayed in this upbeat and fun doo wop number that expands upon the gospel sound of the soundtrack into another traditionally black genre. The Muses perfectly contrast Meg in the song. While you can pretty easily tell the choice Meg will make about confessing her love to Hercules, it doesn't lessen the song's impact regardless.

Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:24 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I enjoy the songs in Hercules. I Won't Say I'm In Love is my favorite. Hades needed a song too!

I also think I Can Go The Distance is very good, probably the better song, and I've always been surprised it wasn't a bigger hit. Feels like one of the most underrated Disney songs. The movie version (especially the FULL 4-minute version that's only in the movie with the amazing climax and sustained 13-second note ending) >>> the Bolton version, so I wonder if that played a role back then as I imagine the Bolton version was the promoted single.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

39. Someday My Prince Will Come
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
Sung by Snow White
Performed by Adrianna Caselotti
Music by Frank Churchill Lyrics by Larry Morey

This song has grown on me, and while I generally prefer newer Disney songs to the older ones, the themes they gave their princesses in their respective films have always been spectacular. Snow White's motivation throughout the film and this song is not particularly complex nor is it very progressive. But it absolutely is relatable and it makes sense that fairy tales like Snow White have resonated for generations. The melody here is simple and masterfully is worked into the score and it becomes the film's anthem. This song is just a very good summation of the film's romantic message.

Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:27 pm
Hold the door!

38. When You Wish Upon a Star
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Pinocchio (1940)
Sung by Jiminy Cricket
Performed by Cliff Edwards
Music by Leigh Harline Lyrics by Ned Washington

There's not much to say about this song. It's a classic and Disney's main theme song. Cliff Edwards gives a great vocal performance and it manages to be sweet without being saccharine. Easily on par with the best of Disney's older songs and you can easily see why it has stood the test of time.

Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:27 pm
Hold the door!

37. When Somebody Loved Me
From the Pixar Animation Studios Motion Picture Toy Story 2 (1999)
Performed by Sarah MacLachlan
Music and Lyrics by Randy Newman

Another rare non diegetic song on my list. It's too bad I don't like Randy Newman's voice, since a lot of songs from Toy Story are good. One of the rare ones he did not sing, When Somebody Loved Me is probably the second most well known Toy Story song. Sarah MacLachlan has become a bit of a punchline since this song came out, but this song earns its tears with Jessie's tragic backstory that is both shocking and inevitable at the same time. It's message of value coming from being loved by others is questionable, but it definitely is incredibly relatable and many people feel that way.

Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:05 pm
Hold the door!

36. The Gospel Truth
Sung by The Muses
Performed by Susan Egan, Lillias White, Cheryl Freeman, LaChanze, Roz Ryan and Vanéese Y. Thomas

Definitely one of Disney's most underrated songs in their entire canon. The Muses are such fun characters, and this song introduces both them and the story in a very grabbing way. The animation style as they travel from urn to urn is very creative and would later inspire Maui's tattoos, and by the end of each segment, the plot, which is quite simple and basically a retelling of Superman, is set up in a very compelling way. All of its familiar parts feel fresh and new after this brilliant opening number.

Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:13 pm
Hold the door!

35. This is Halloween
From the Touchstone Pictures Motion Picture The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
Sung by The Citizens of Halloweentown
Performed by the cast of The Nightmare Before Christmas
Music and Lyrics by Danny Elfman

The Nightmare Before Christmas has one of Disney's best scores, but people barely even realize that it's a Disney movie. This is Halloween has earned its place up there as one of the most popular Halloween songs, along with Monster Mash and Thriller. The ensemble structure introduces many characters who will become important later, such as the Mayor and Oogie Boogie. The way that Elfman is able to have every section of the song with a new character stay exciting despite being so many is masterful. We don't even meet the main characters, but the way this song introduces Halloweentown, we'd probably have been interested if the movie only used these characters.

Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:26 pm
Hold the door!

34. Out There
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
Sung by Frollo and Quasimodo
Performed by Tony Jay and Tom Hulce
Music by Alan Menken Lyrics by Stephen Schwartz

Another incredibly underrated song, Out There is a little cliched, but Tom Hulce sings the absolute hell out of this I Want song. The duet in the beginning between Frollo and Quasimodo is chillingly sinister and is full of dramatic irony, as the audience, but not Quasimodo, knows of Frollo's treachery. The remainder of the song is enhanced by its shots of the Notre Dame cathedral, breathtakingly recreated despite 1996 CGI.

Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:37 pm
Hold the door!

33. Beauty and the Beast
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Beauty and the Beast (1991)
Sung by Mrs. Potts
Performed by Angela Lansbury
Music by Alan Menken Lyrics by Howard Ashman

This is not the most upbeat or exciting song in a Disney movie, but it is among the most beautiful. Angela Lansbury's warmth makes the song extra nice, and the scene it accompanies is so iconic partially because of the song. The lyrics while vague enough to play well on the radio, are applicable to any situation where one has judged someone else too quickly. While it is debatable whether Belle has actually judged the beast too quickly, it's a good message nonetheless.

Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:44 pm
Devil's Advocate

Beauty and the Beast and When She Loved Me are great

Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:54 pm
Hold the door!

32. What's This?
From the Touchstone Pictures Motion Picture The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
Sung by Jack Skellington
Performed by Danny Elfman

Much of The Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack is dominated by the main character Jack Skellington, and this is only one of his great solo songs, but it's his most famous and remembered. The contrast of this song to the rest of the soundtrack really helps to highlight the shock and awe that Jack feels as he discovers Christmas town. This song is also an homage to the Rankin/Bass christmas specials of the mid 20th century. Elfman's vocal performance is also really impressive and it's amazing Elfman isn't known more for his singing chops as he is for his score writing.

Last edited by zwackerm on Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:23 pm
Hold the door!

31. For the First Time in Forever
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Frozen (2013)
Sung by Anna and Elsa
Performed by Kristen Bell and Idina Menzel
Music and Lyrics by Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez

This has always been my favorite song from Frozen. Is it a bit cliched? Yes, and I don't like it quite as much as I used to after many more years of listening to showtune style I Want ballads. But you can definitely tell Disney was giving it their all with this one. It's mainly Anna's song with Elsa coming in at the end for some sweet counterpoint parts. The big sound of the song was a refreshing change from the small scale numbers of Tangled and Princess and the Frog, and really harkened back to Disney's 90's heyday. The reprise is really good too, though unlike many reprises of Disney songs, I still think the original is better.

Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:31 pm
Hold the door!

30. Surface Pressure
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Encanto (2021)
Sung by Luisa
Performed by Jessica Darrow
Music and Lyrics by Lin Manuel Miranda

I wasn't super into the Encanto soundtrack until I heard this gem as the third track and I knew that we were in for something special. The first 2 tracks on the album have grown considerably on me since the first listen, but Surface Pressure was a toe tapper I noticed immediately. The beat here is so infectious, and Jessica Darrow's performance manages to be both comedic and sympathetic while also doing a pretty good job musically. The lyrical content here makes lots of cool references that are brilliantly realized in the animation, and the themes would be continued in What Else Can I Do? later on in the film. Surface Pressure really helps hammer in the message of Encanto in a way that is subtle and fun and we get this banger as a side bonus.

Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:36 pm
Devil's Advocate

Two great picks

Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:31 am
Hold the door!

29. Show Yourself
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Frozen 2 (2019)
Sung by Elsa and Queen Iduna
Performed by Idina Menzel and Evan Rachel Wood

This wasn't the Elsa song pushed from Frozen 2, but it ended up being the better remembered one. By the end of the song, Elsa has realized what the voice is and that she is the fifth spirit. An incredible dazzling animation sequence complements beautiful harmonies between Elsa and the spirit of her mother Iduna. While not a small song, it's less showy and obnoxious than Let It Go or Into the Unknown and a nice change of pace for Elsa musically.

Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:23 pm
Hold the door!

28. Proud Corazon
From the Pixar Animation Studios Motion Picture Coco (2017)
Sung by Miguel
Performed by Anthony Gonzales

The songs in Coco don't seem to be too well remembered beyond Remember Me, but this is my favorite in the film. It closes out the film right after it's been revealed that Coco has passed away and as this song plays and we watch Coco reunite with Hector and her family in the afterlife, I absolutely started to bawl my eyes out. Coco is the rare Pixar film that earns its tears and songs like Proud Corazon are part of the reason why.

Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:28 pm
Hold the door!

27. Prince Ali
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Aladdin (1992)
Sung by The Genie, Jafar and the Citizens of Agrabah
Performed by Robin Williams, Jonathan Freeman and the Cast of Aladdin
Music by Alan Menken Lyrics by Howard Ashman and Tim Rice

This used to be my favorite song from Aladdin, though another has surpassed it in the last few years. But this song is incredibly well crafted, especially the crazy fast tongue twister ending listing all of Prince Ali's things. Prince Ali is among Disney's best large production numbers, with a more complex melody and dazzling visuals courtesy of the genie character and his transformations and magic. The reprise is also incredibly cleverly flipped as Jafar's villain song. The flipping of a formerly happy and upbeat song as a sinister villain song would be again done in Tangled with Mother Knows Best to even better effect, but the groundwork was laid here.

Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:57 pm
Hold the door!

26. Heigh Ho
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
Sung by The Dwarves
Performed by The Dwarfs Chorus (Roy Atwell, Pinto Colvig, Billy Gilbert, Otis Harlan & Scotty Mattraw)
Music by Frank Churchill Lyrics by Larry Morey

Easily the best song from Snow White and the best song of Disney's Golden Age. It's incredibly catchy and the Dwarf's unique personalities are all displayed. I love that so many of them get solos, its the first production number ever animated for a feature film. Who hasn't sung this song on their commute to or from work before? I certainly have.

Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:25 pm
Hold the door!

25. Lost in the Woods
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Frozen 2 (2019)
Sung by Kristoff
Performed by Jonathan Groff

I'm surprised this song never charted, as it seems like it was the most immediately popular song from Frozen 2, and its sequence is the highlight of the movie. Unfortunately it's basically the only thing Kristoff has to do for the entire movie's runtime, as he doesn't show up again until the end of the movie. But the song itself is hilarious and a bonkers spoof of 80's and 90's love ballads by people like Michael Bolton and Bryan Adams. It's among the best Disney songs for male karaoke, and overall just works in a way that's leagues above the ok film that its in.

Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:32 pm
Devil's Advocate

Show Yourself - best song in either Frozen movie

Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:09 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Agreed. Frozen II was huge, of course, but I wonder if it was promoted over Into the Unknown if it would have been even bigger.

Loved Proud Corazon and all things Nightmare Before Christmas.

Generally enjoy all the other recent entries of the past couple days.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:35 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

24. Jack's Lament
Sung by Jack Skellington
Performed by Danny Elfman

My favorite song from The Nightmare Before Christmas is Jack's I Want song, Jack's Lament. It's a beautiful melody which continues as a motif throughout the rest of the film, in both the score and other songs. The film is already so unique at this point in the run time, which comes right after This is Halloween. Jack's weariness with Halloween and longing for something more is very relatable and sets up an incredibly interesting character, among Disney's best protagonists in my opinion. The scene at the end of the song where Jack walks down the curled hill is also iconic.

Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:25 pm
Hold the door!

23. A Star is Born
Sung by The Muses
Performed by Lillias White, Cheryl Freeman, LaChanze, Roz Ryan and Vanéese Y. Thomas

Another Muses song and my favorite song from Hercules. The song is so emotionally cathartic, especially when Zeus makes Hercules picture in the stars, and the townsperson says "that's Phil's boy!" The song itself is one of Menken's most joyous sounding compositions, and is one of the best matches of song to scene in a Disney film. Even though the Hercules soundtrack outside of the Muses is mediocre, the Muses make it more than worthwhile to listen to it.

Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:37 pm
Hold the door!

22. Something There
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Beauty and the Beast (1991)
Sung by The Beast, Belle, Lumiere, Mrs. Potts and Cogsworth
Performed by Robby Benson, Paige O'Hara, Jerry Orbach, Angela Lansbury, and David Ogden Stiers
Music by Alan Menken Lyrics by Howard Ashman

A small song from Beauty and the Beast, but an impactful one nonetheless. The love story in the movie is still pretty unbelievable, but this love song between them does the best job of purveying their love in a believable way. Without this song, viewers would be left wondering how Belle could fall in love with such a terrible person. It's not the best relationship development ever, but the song does its darndest to try. I also like the repetition of the Belle motif that links her feelings about the Beast to her favorite book from earlier in the movie. The inclusion of the servants at the end is a nice touch as well.

Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next