Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Zwackerm's Updated List of the Top 50 Disney Songs 
Hold the door!

Post Re: Zwackerm's Updated List of the Top 50 Disney Songs
21. Just Around the Riverbend
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Pocahontas 1995)
Sung by Pocahontas
Performed by Judy Kuhn
Music by Alan Menken Lyrics by Stephen Schwartz

One of a few princesses to get multiple solo songs, Pocahontas' are both among the best Disney has ever produced. Just Around the Riverbend is her I Want song, and the foreshadowing in the lyrics is pretty subtle and not too obvious, even though the adventure she craves ends up being a romantic relationship. Just like Belle, Pocahontas wants to adventure and rejects her main suitor, even though ultimately they will find that they do enjoy a relationship with the proper partner, who ends up being both protagonists' adventure. Riverbend has a well done allusion to Robert Frost's the Road Less Traveled poem, and ends with Pocahontas going down the twisty dangerous path, instead of the straight pretty one.

Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:08 pm
Hold the door!

20. Ev'rybody Wants to Be a Cat
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture The Aristocats (1970)
Sung by Scat Cat, Thomas O'Malley, Billy Boss, Marie, Duchess and Scat Cat's Gang
Performed by Scatman Crothers, Phil Harris, Thurl Ravenscroft, Liz English, Robie Lester, and Cast of the Aristocats
Music and Lyrics by Floyd Huddleston and Al Rinker

The Aristocats is among Disney's most mediocre films, but this scene alone makes the whole thing worthwhile. The instruments are played really well and all the films characters coming together for this big finale is cool. The whole thing is so upbeat and infectious, its a highlight not just of the film that its in, but of the entire post 101 Dalmatians pre Little Mermaid era.

Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:21 pm
Hold the door!

19. Be Prepared
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture The Lion King (1994)
Sung by Scar and the Hyenas
Performed by Jeremy Irons, Whoopi Goldberg, Cheech Marin, and Jim Cummings
Music by Elton John Lyrics by Tim Rice

The Lion King soundtrack is not my favorite, but Scar's song Be Prepared is among the best villain songs in the pantheon. It sounds very creepy and intense, and details the plot to kill Mufasa. The end where the hyenas come in raises the intensity even furthr and the visuals evoke Nazi Germany. The visuals are iconic, with green smoke everywhere, and Irons, while not a great singer. performs the song brilliantly.

Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:04 pm
Hold the door!

18. I See the Light
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Tangled (2010)
Sung by Rapunzel and Flynn Rider
Performed by Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi
Music by Alan Menken Lyrics by Glenn Slater

I See the Light wasn't appreciated at the time of Tangled's release, but it has rightfully come to be regarded as one of Disney's best songs. The duet and contrast between Moore and Levi's voices highlights their vocal strengths despite being weak vocalists overall. And the accompanying lantern sequence may actually be Disney's most visually beautiful sequence. I still get choked up whenever watching this scene. The visuals and music match so well that they trigger strong emotions even years later.

Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:16 pm
Hold the door!

17. The Mob Song
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Beauty and the Beast (1991)
Sung by Gaston, the Villagers and the Enchanted Objects
Performed by Richard White and the Cast of Beauty and the Beast
Music by Alan Menken Lyrics by Howard Ashman

Among the less lauded songs from Beauty and the Beast, The Mob Song is criminally underrated. While it doesn't build quite as well as similar song Savages from Pocahontas, the lyrics here are far more subtle and get to the heart of a very significant issue. The song really illustrates the dangers of xenophobia and fear of the unknown, as Gaston successfully frenzies the town into an angry mob to kill the harmless Beast. The lyrics also allude to Macbeth ("screw your courage to the sticking place") in a clever way, and the clash of the villagers and objects escalating and opposing each other both musically and onscreen is thrilling.

Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:22 pm
Hold the door!

16. Friends on the Other Side
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture The Princess and the Frog (2009)
Sung by Dr. Facilier
Performed by Keith David
Music and Lyrics by Randy Newman

The Princess and the Frog starts out so well with this song and Almost There, it's too bad it couldn't keep up the momentum these songs started off the soundtrack with. Friends on the Other Side is thematically similar to Poor Unfortunate Souls from the Little Mermaid, but far more musically and visually interesting. The way that Facilier is able to trick Naveen and Laurence using the cards is something that just would not have been as effective if not put to song. And the visual storytelling with the cards is also really fun. The intense ending also puts Poor Unfortunate Souls to shame as all the Spirits come out and are genuinely scary as they work their magic.

Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:28 pm
Hold the door!

15. God Help the Outcasts
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
Sung by Esmeralda and the Cathedral Goers
Performed by Heidi Mollenhauer and the Cast of the Hunchback of Notre Dame

This song is so beautiful. It's too bad that Mollenhauer as just a vocalist and not the actual voice of Esmeralda she doesn't get the credit she deserves. It's a simple prayer song and it perfectly shows off Esmeralda's selfless personality and shows the good of religion in contrast to Frollo's religious zealotry and corruption. She is also contrasted to the other cathedral goers who only pray for things for themselves, while Esmeralda prays for things for only others.

Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:41 pm
Hold the door!

14. Feed the Birds (Tuppence a Bag)
From the Walt Disney Productions Motion Picture Mary Poppins (1964)
Sung by Mary Poppins
Performed by Julie Andrews
Music and Lyrics by Richard M Sherman and Robert B Sherman

This song is again one of Disney's most beautiful compositions. Walt Disney himself asked the Sherman brothers to play it for him every night. It talks of a homeless woman who lives on the steps of St Paul's cathedral who sells bird seed for a living. In a heartbreaking turn of events, she is mostly ignored by even the saints and apostles of the cathedral until she eventually is presumed to have passed away as the cathedral is shown without her on the steps at the end of the film. Michael wanted to give his tuppence to the woman rather than invest it in the bank like his father demanded. Due to his father's and others greed, the woman dies. It's a super moving and incredibly convicting story about the danger of selfishness and the importance of helping others.

Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:48 pm
Hold the door!

13. Mine Mine Mine
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Pocahontas (1995)
Sung by Governor Ratcliffe, Wiggins, John Smith and the Settlers
Performed by David Ogden Stiers, Mel Gibson and the Cast of Pocahontas

Another criminally underrated song, Mine Mine Mine is a highlight of the Pochontas soundtrack and among the best villain songs in their catalogue. While Ratcliffe is not among Disney's best villains, they gave him one hell of a musical number. The lyrics are not too deep and don't establish Ratcliffe as anything more than a cliche greedy villain, but there is lots of clever wordplay and the fantasy sequence is imaginative. Add in the way him and Smith finish the song in counterpoint and it builds and builds into one of Disney's most impressive musical numbers.

Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:55 pm
Romosexual!

zwackerm wrote:
19. Be Prepared
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture The Lion King (1994)
Sung by Scar and the Hyenas
Performed by Jeremy Irons, Whoopi Goldberg, Cheech Marin, and Jim Cummings
Music by Elton John Lyrics by Tim Rice

The Lion King soundtrack is not my favorite, but Scar's song Be Prepared is among the best villain songs in the pantheon. It sounds very creepy and intense, and details the plot to kill Mufasa. The end where the hyenas come in raises the intensity even furthr and the visuals evoke Nazi Germany. The visuals are iconic, with green smoke everywhere, and Irons, while not a great singer. performs the song brilliantly.

JEREMY IRON KILLED THIS SONG!!!! :clap2: KILLED IT!!! :clap2: SOOOOO GOOD!

Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:06 am
Hold the door!

12. Gaston
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Beauty and the Beast (1991)
Sung by Lefou, Gaston and the Townspeople
Performed by Jesse Corti, Richard White and the Cast of Beauty and the Beast

This song has really grown on me in the years since making the first list. I love how singable it is and I definitely think the actor portraying Gaston in the parks should lead singalongs of this song at his tavern. Unlike the typical villain song, it is the rest of the cast describing the villain, which is an interesting twist. It also does not detail any sort of plan, at least until the reprise. It;s just a very different type of song and I appreciate it for that.

Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:15 pm
Hold the door!

11. Once Upon a Dream
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Sleeping Beauty (1959)
Sung by Aurora, Prince Phillip and the Disney Studio Chorus
Performed by Mary Costa, Bill Shirley and the Disney Studio Chorus
Music by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky and George Bruns Lyrics by Jack Lawrence and Sammy Fain

I really love this song for its timeless quality and its relatable lyrics. Who doesn't understand the feeling that they must know someone because they get along so well? The song is reprised several times throughout the film and each time it suits the majestic tone of the film beautifully.

Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:30 pm
Hold the door!

10. Let's Go Fly a Kite
From the Walt Disney Productions Motion Picture Mary Poppins (1964)
Sung by Mr. Banks, Bert and the Londoners
Performed by David Tomlinson, Dick Van Dyke, The Londoners
Music and Lyrics by Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman

The best song in Mary Poppins is the last one. The emotional catharsis of the film's central conflict is portrayed brilliantly in this song. Throughout the movie, Jane and Michael have desired a better relationship with their father, and this song follows Mr. Banks quitting his job at the bank and fixing Michael's kite, which Michael has wanted for a long time to this point. It's possibly one of the happiest and most uplifting songs ever written and I'm always in tears at the end of Mary Poppins due very much to the way this song helps the film stick the landing.

Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:37 pm
Hold the door!

9. You Can Fly!
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Peter Pan (1953)
Sung by Wendy, Peter Pan, John, Michael, The Jud Conlon Chorus and The Mellomen
Performed by Kathryn Beaumont, Bobby Driscoll, Paul Collins, Tommy Luske, The Jud Conlon Chorus and The Mellomen
Music by Sammy Fain Lyrics by Sammy Cahn

Peter Pan doesn't have the strongest score in my opinion, but this song captures the Disney brand itself and the feeling of wonder and magic associated with the brand better than any other song in the pantheon. The whimsy and fantasy elements described in the lyrics and portrayed onscreen as the kids fly across London is exactly what people think of when they think of the warmth of Disney.

Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:46 pm
Hold the door!

8. A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Cinderella (1950)
Sung by Cinderella
Performed by Ilene Woods
Music and Lyrics by Mack David, Al Hoffman and Jerry Livingston

The highest ranking older song on this list, Cinderella's love ballad and I want song was Disney's crowning musical achievement up until that time. More musically interesting than Snow White's song, the animals join into her song detailing he longing to be away from her terrible position as live in slave for her stepmother and stepsisters. It's a very simple song from a lyrical standpoint, it repeats themes from earlier Disney films, but it's so singable that it doesn't even matter.

Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:59 am
Hold the door!

7. We Don't Talk About Bruno
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Encanto (2021)
Sung by Pepa, Felix, Dolores, Camilo, Isabela, Mirabel and the Townspeople
Performed by Carolina Gaitan, Mauro Castillo, Adassa, Rhenzy Feliz, Diane Guererro, Stephanie Beatriz and the Cast of Encanto
Music and Lyrics by Lin Manuel Miranda

We Don't Talk About Bruno slaps so hard. I knew this would be the breakout hit from Encanto if it had one from the moment I listened to it, but I never could've foreseen it hitting number one on the Billboard charts for multiple weeks. It's simple lyrics and context in the film appeal to kids, while its surprising musical complexity gives it appeal for adults and musical theater fans. It's incredibly unique for a Disney song, and it not only advances the plot, it also gives character beats for each of the film's minor characters. I could tell from the first time hearing the song that Bruno would not actually be a villain in the film, but the song shows the power of gossip and just simply not communicating directly with a person you have an issue with.

Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:16 am
Hold the door!

6. That's How You Know
From the Walt Disney Pictures Motion Picture Enchanted (2007)
Sung by Gisele and the Central Park Goers
Performed by Amy Adams, Marlon Saunders and the Cast of Enchanted

This song is meant as a parody, but it's so unironically good you wonder if it was originally composed that way. Amy Adams earns her golden globe nomination with just this song, her screen presence is electric here and you don't question that she would be able to get all of Central Park singing and dancing. It's lyrically unique in its subject matter urging everyone not to be complacent and take their relationship for granted, and it's just potentially the most danceable song in any Disney movie. I don't watch Enchanted much, but whenever I watch this scene I really wonder why.

Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:39 am
Hold the door!

5. Part of Your World
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture The Little Mermaid (1989)
Sung by Ariel
Performed by Jodi Benson

The Little Mermaid brought Disney into the metaphorical 21st century, as the tone it set for their films going forward is still used today. Part of Your World was famously almost cut from the film as it tested poorly with children in test screening. The filmmakers stuck to their guns and its one of Disney's most memorable and iconic songs. One of the most creative and beautiful melodies composed by Menken, the lyrics are funny and Ariel becomes one of the most interesting Disney protagonists by the end.

Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:29 pm
The Kramer

I Want More - the three words best used to describe that ginger whore.

Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:44 pm
Hold the door!

4. Colors of the Wind
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Pocahontas (1995)
Sung by Pocahontas
Performed by Judy Kuhn

Pocahontas has one of Disney's best soundtracks, and it's soundtrack is so much better than the film it's in that the songs get overlooked. But not even a film with mixed reception could keep masterpiece Colors of the Wind from hitting number 4 on the hot 100 and winning the Oscar for best original song over You've Got a Friend in Me. The lyrics are a little silly and don't actually speak of any real Native American culture, but the melody soars and the visuals are surprisingly fantastical in a film that was conceived as a historical drama.

Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:18 pm
Devil's Advocate

Pretty high for Bruno

Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:18 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I Want More - the three words best used to describe that ginger whore.

You're awful. She was my role model when I was 5. :funny:

Lots of villain songs a bit back. Can rarely go wrong with them. (Hope Poor Unfortunate Souls is here, but it's not looking good!) All the classic songs from the Walt era are, well, classics, but I just never really liked them.

Love Colors of the Wind. Would definitely be Top 5 for me too.

And Part of Your World would be my #1!

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Would Dos Arigatos be the villain song of Encanto? It's very sad and all, but also explains her motivations for antagonzing the main character the entire movie.

Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:12 pm
Hold the door!

I will complete this tomorrow!

Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:24 pm
Hold the door!

3. I'll Make a Man Out of You
From the Walt Disney Animation Studios Motion Picture Mulan (1998)
Sung by Captain Li Shang, Chien Po, Yao, Ling, Mushu and Mulan
Performed by Donny Osmond, Jerry Tondo, Matthew Wilder, Harvey Fierstein, Eddie Murphy and Lea Salonga
Music by Matthew Wilder Lyrics by David Zippel

This used to be my favorite Disney song, but listening to it non stop whenever I go to the gym for years made me just a little tired of it. But it's so exhilarating and the best Disney song to work out to hands down, and far and away the best song from Mulan. The song is aptly titled, as it definitely is motivating not just for the characters in the movie, but anyone who hears it to step up and be a real man

Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next