Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 KoЯpse's Top 55 Teenage Headbangers (Complete! Stats Added) 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post KoЯpse's Top 55 Teenage Headbangers (Complete! Stats Added)
I'm going to wait for Shack to complete his list, but I may take a few extra days after still just to make sure I didn't miss anything (or much, at least).

Rules:

-Only rock and metal songs released from 1998-2005. (Not a teen yet, but there are several late-90s songs I want to include. And to account for the earlier start, I shaved off a year!)
-Subgenres count, such as punk-rock/pop or nu-metal. (Most should fit firmly in rock/metal, but just in case some other squeak in.)
-Repeat artists allowed.
-Embarrassing artists/songs must be included, if they exist. (They do exist.)

I played a lot (A LOT) of Roller/Rink Hockey and participated in tons of inline speed skating (almost every weekend for years), so this list will largely be my soundtrack to those years.

I'm *thinking* of a Top 50, but we'll see. I certainly won't go any higher, but I may also adjust it down to a Top 40 or something.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:46 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Post Re: Corpse's Teenage Headbangers (Top ?)
I can see teenage corpse being very grungey.

Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:46 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Grunge and nu-metal are becoming pretty prevalent. Up to about 30 song selections so far. Should have enough for a full Top 50.

There are a lot of angry songs on this list. But I wasn't really an angry kid/teen. I had reasons (one big one anyway) to be, so maybe that's why I like/liked these songs, but I was tolerant/patient. More of a "sexually frustrated" kid/teen, I suppose. Dear Diary, "why are 99% of all the boys in this small country town straight rednecks?!" :funny: (*cough* On the surface anyway *cough*)

There are also a lot of... love/anti-love songs about GIRLS. Now, I never in my life found girls arousing, but the lyrics/messages in these songs were still relevant (just switch all the pronouns around, and viola! That song is speaking to me!)

I'm also debating on just turning this into a more general "bangers" list with some other genres sprinkled in, because there are quite a few dance-type songs I listened to as well, largely when in a pair of skates. Most of these songs wouldn't make a list otherwise. Glad I made the cutoff at 2005 because 2006 seems to be about the year where my music taste really began to form into what it is today. Nice trip down memory lane if you will, since most of the songs on this 1998-2005 list aren't on my Top 50 overall list.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I can see teenage corpse being very grungey.

Grunge songs released from 98-05 isn't the best selection though

Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:39 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: KoЯpse's Top 55 Teenage Headbangers
List is complete and ranked, probably. I'm still going to wait for you to finish Shack, just in case I forgot something (which I did minutes ago!)

Settled on 55 songs. Could have made it just a Top 50, but a couple songs I wanted would have been cut, so bumped it up to 55. 31 artists in total. Some bands were getting a little out of hand, so I cut them back a little bit so it didn't become repetitive. But there are a few bands with multiple entries. And as Shack said, the grunge songs in this period were mostly "good, not great", and several ended up getting the boot. However... I have 10 honorable mentions with songs released from 1990-1997 that I listened to a lot and likely would have made the list if I didn't cut them off with teenage years-only.

While making this list, which I spent maybe more time on than any in the past, there is very clear year or two where I definitely changed a lot. People change, obviously, it's just interesting to look back and see where that change occurred with music. A vast majority of the songs here were not on my Top 50 songs ever years back, but listening to some of them again after so long, a few may be find a place on there.

Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:46 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I'm begin the pre-1998 list a little later today. I cut it from 10 to 9 so the main list + pre-list was a cool 64, teenage Corpse's favorite video game console during this time. I kicked off the Mortal Kombat theme (hype song to skate/race to) as it was the only non-song, or theme, on the entire thing.

I'll post 5 on the pre-list today, the final 4 tomorrow, and then begin the main list (of 55) on Monday where I'll aim to do 5-6 songs a day so it wraps up no later than 10 days. I've pre-written a bit about 20 of the songs already, so should go smoothly with little/no delays.

And to clarify:

Pre-list = Songs released from 1990-1997 that either didn't make the cutoff year or were discovered after 1997 that were still prevalent in the teenage-years.
Main list = Songs only released from 1998-2005, roughly the teenage-years that I listened to THEN.

This won't be like my general Top 50 with Arias, some J-Pop, and especially full of Nordic symphonic metal bands, and all sorts of other things. I didn't have internet at home until ~2003. I was hardly aware of almost all of that. I think you guys will (mostly) enjoy this teenage-years list, and should recognize the vast majority of them.

Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: KoЯpse's Top 55 Teenage Headbangers (But Pre-List First!
Pre-List (1990-1997) - Top 9

9. Pony - Ginuwine

This may be the biggest "huh?" entry on this pre-list, and perhaps on the overall list. I'm not a fan of most R&B or Hip-Hop. But I just enjoyed this song very much. Instantly recognizable beat. It was played routinely on the radio, and at the skating rink where I spent much of my pre-teen/teen years, and often by several of my older teenage friends/people they hung out with at the rink. (I found it a lot easier to befriend high schoolers than most middle-school classmates). And perhaps just reaching puberty pretty early is what helped gravitate me towards this song. I knew it wasn't about a pony like many other boys and girls. It didn't stay a favorite for too long, but the few years it did were notable. And I don't think the song would make any other sort of list, unless on a Top 69 Sex Songs of the 90 or something, so I'm glad it found a place to be represented on this one.

Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:35 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

8. Spiderwebs - No Doubt

Unlike most songs, there isn't a particular reason for this one being here. I simply listened to it a lot, really enjoyed it and its funky-beat, and wanted to include it give No Doubt some representation. Plus, it is a mild-headbanger, after all. Generally always enjoyed No Doubt (and later Gwen), but they weren't able to make the main list (spoiler).

Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

7. Ooh Aah... Just A Little Bit - Gina G

Just a little bit of everything a good skating song at the time had. As soon as it begins, you wanted to hit the floor, and if you hadn't laced up/buckled up your skates yet, few songs would make you hurry the fuck up so you didn't miss it playing. (Going to the skating rink with your skates already ON was vital.) Full of energy, catchy, upbeat, and the "just a little bit / a little bit more" resonated well when you're on that final lap in a race. This song (and they'll be one or two more on the main list)) had a very specific time and place, and didn't really transcend outside of that space.

Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

That Pony song is stuck in my head now. I have to assume that's up there for most used male stripper songs.

Tragic Kingdom is a classic

Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:23 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

6. Enter Sandman - Metallica

I don't recall when I first heard this song, maybe just on MTV or something, but it was a favorite as a kid, teen, and continues to be to this day. I'm not sure if I consider this song, or another coming up on the pre-list tomorrow, as the one that introduced me/got me into metal and heavier songs in general, but it certainly played a big role in doing so. Will forever remain a classic from one of the most influential bands ever. Only reason it's here and not on the main list is I didn't hear it as often (it did come out in 1991, after all) and didn't own the cassette/CD, so not quite as tied to my teen years as the rest. (It is one of very few songs that'll be posted that is in my general Top 50 though.)

Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:39 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

5. Korn - A.D.I.D.A.S.

Early Korn song, but I didn't discover it until after a few years of its release. The lyrics here are very self-explanatory. Sex is on the minds of many teens, of course, so wasn't alone there. Just had a bit more of a problem expressing this in the same way that 90%+ of other teens could. Couldn't talk about boys to friends. Definitely couldn't date or mess around with them. That is, not without some potential high risks that I didn't chance until late-teens. So, a relatable song for almost anyone (males, I imagine especially) growing up, but perhaps a little more for some. You can really only think or dream about sex most of the time at this age voluntarily or not, especially if you were closeted.

Final 4 on the pre-list will be posted tomorrow, and then I'll begin the main list on Monday. (Don't worry! I know 3 songs have been about sex already, but this isn't a sex song list. They're a minority here. Promise!)

Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

04. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

Okay, okay, pretty boring, expected pick for the pre-1998 selection I expect. I didn't listen to this one too much until very late-90s, and then only for a year or two before it was shelved. I almost put Come As You Are here instead, since I listened to it more and earlier, but Teen Spirit is better. I wasn't the biggest Nirvana fan, but I wish I had given them more of a chance back then. Turns out, some of Cobain's problems stemmed from him being bullied by others that simply thought he was gay in school. And he also had a gay friend in high school, whom he was affectionate towards, and late said he was "gay in spirit" and probably bi-sexual. He was also openly supporting the LGBTQ community in a more dangerous time period (early 90s). I was unaware of most of this until years and years later. Had I known, had any closeted gay kid known back then (I don't think much of this was ever revealed, at least on a wide-scale, until many years later), it'd have made things just a little easier knowing such a popular guy was/may have been just like them too.

Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:08 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

03. Only Happy When It Rains - Garbage

There are a number of pre-1998 Garbage songs I could have included here, but I chose this one because of its relevance then and now (in smaller doses). The feeling of crying, whatever the reason, is unlike anything else. It feels good. I don't just mean this in terms of how impactful depression can be on one, but just the general impact is has on you. It wakes you up. It's, perhaps, not unlike a high. And it can tears not related to sadness or depression, too. For example, when a movie makes you tear up or cry because of some heartfelt moment (Miquel singing to Coco in Coco is a source I use these days). Many times did I seek out something that'd make me cry to get that happy feeling. So go out and get your kick off your tears. You don't need harmful alternatives.

Garbage (and Shirley Manson) were major influences on me growing up, and continue to be today. And it helps that all their albums, even 25 years later, are bangers. Last year's No Gods No Masters is great. If I got the chance to meet any band/artist, Shirley would probably top the list.

Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:17 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Pony is definitely a banger of some kind. :funny:

Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:45 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

True, true. :thumbsup:

02. The Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson

I mentioned yesterday with Enter Sandman being one of two songs I could contribute for getting me into metal/hard-rock ahead of my teen years, and the second was The Beautiful People. I don't know if it or Sweet Dreams was the first song I heard from Manson, but The Beautiful People had both a more immediate effect, and longer-lasting one as well. But unlike Enter Sandman, which came out when I was 2 or 3, I was old enough to actively discover and listen to The Beautiful People. (Not to mention being generally exposed to it more.) I thought little/nothing of the lyrics upon first discovering it, doubt many kids did, but would later look back and appreciate it beyond being a headbanger too. Very cool music video! That helped. Plus, this song just seems to become more and more relevant with every passing year.

Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Also my favorite song from him. Though, if I had to choose one horror rocker of the 90s it'd be Rob Zombie. His live shows are so much fun. Did young Corpse ever dig through the ditches and burn through the witches?

Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:30 pm
Devil's Advocate

Enter Sandman and Teen Spirit are great obviously. I like some other Garbage songs more but overall still like seeing them repped.

Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:01 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Also my favorite song from him. Though, if I had to choose one horror rocker of the 90s it'd be Rob Zombie. His live shows are so much fun. Did young Corpse ever dig through the ditches and burn through the witches?

Young Corpse was a Zombie-head, yes. The Beautiful People actually isn't my favorite Manson song. It is pre-1998, and probably #2 though.

My main list will feature some of the same artists on this pre-list. I could have just combined them for a Top 64, but I wanted to be more specific and strict so that the teen years only featured songs released roughly during the teen years that I listened to then, otherwise older song influence would have made an impact (purpose of the pre-list).

And since that was the main focus, there will be some repeated artists throughout the main list. 31.5 artists/bands are on it though, so still a good variety. (Had to limit the entries for a couple bands still though.) I'll begin the main list after posting my #1 on the pre-list in a bit. In fact upcoming song is the biggest reason I felt a pre-list was necessary. I didn't realize it was as "old" as it is and didn't want to start that early, but it needed included somehow and would likely have been a Top 5/10 song.

Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

01. Wonderwall - Oasis

This is the big one on the pre-1998 list that I needed to include somehow, so a short pre-list featuring some older songs I enjoyed was a good way to include it. Not a headbanger (don't worry, the main list is primarily headbangers), but few songs had as much impact on younger me as this one. In fact, I've wondered how life would have been different if I hadn't heard it one day.

I didn't hear this song (or at least recognize it) until 1998/1999, and I don't really relate to it like most probably do. I would listen to it as if another me was singing to myself. I couldn't really be myself growing up, so I needed to create an acceptable me, a me I had to become every single day. I know this isn't uncommon, many people hide themselves, but it's usually just a thing or two, not another persona almost entirely. And while crafting this persona, the "outer-me" (or my "wonderwall"), wasn't especially difficult (just behave and act like everyone is comfortable with), maintaining it every single day for years and years was a tremendous weight that became too much sometimes.

When you go to school and hear other kids (or adults too, anywhere) everyday just casually throw around "queer", "fag", "faggot", "gay" as general insults or as words to describe someone or something uncool, words that could describe you, it has a big effect on your entire self. Your being/existence is being assaulted for no reason. It's not the same as someone having been bullied over the shape of their nose, teeth, or some other exterior thing being attacked. It's literally YOU. And growing up in a time where anyone except someone like you could even marry later in life, as if it was "evil" or "immoral", well, it was hard. You wonder what makes you, something you can't do anything about at all because it's just you, "wrong." Especially as a 12-year-old kid. Thankfully, younger Corpse knew he wasn't wrong or broken, because it didn't make any sense for you to be wrong for just existing. He'd get through this, just need reminded and some self-help from time to time. Music helped.

So when I heard this song with lyrics like "there are many things that I would like to say to you, but I don't know how" (outer-me not knowing the right words for inner-me), or "I don't believe that anybody feels the way I do about you now" (outer-me being the only "person" who knew how inner-me felt), and finally, "you're gonna be the one that saves me / after all, you're my wonderwall", it had a life-changing impact. Both me and my persona were able to mostly get by because of the other, and this song helped in repairing the damage either took when it became too much, so I would listen to it in those times. So it was very healing. Inner-me because of outer-me taking the brunt of daily life and some of the stress/pressure/problems away; and outer-me for always being able to fall back on inner-me for support without falling down completely. Maybe I could call this song "wonderwalls" instead.

Main list begins tomorrow! (It won't be as somber, promise!)

Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:23 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: KoЯpse's Top 55 Teenage Headbangers (Prelist Complete)
Wonderwall reminds me of the guys at college who'd be playing acoustic guitar around girls trying to impress them and get laid. Song version of The Notebook.

Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:00 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: KoЯpse's Top 55 Teenage Headbangers (Prelist Complete)
That would be a more convenient use for the song. :lol:

Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:45 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Okay, main list time (Top 55). We'll begin appropriately with the opening song:

55. Across the Nation - The Union Underground

Let's kick the list off like a 2002 episode of Monday Night Raw. You guys (Shack, Flava'd at least) know I love wrestling today, and I did as far back as I can remember, probably to the earliest episodes of Raw itself. My favorite Raw (or just WWE opening theme) ever. This band only had one album, presumably only making it due riding the Nu-Metal wave at the time. It was okay, solid, but Across the Nation was the best. I was really into the Nu-Metal and just general heavier music, so hearing this before every episode of Raw for years was a good way to find a fan like me. (Lead singer also looked pretty hot.) Looking back, it's not *amazing*, and definitely repetitive, but teenage Corpse is making this list and it'd be on it then.

Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:49 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

54. Headstrong - Trapt

This was my go-to pre hockey game adrenaline song. Seems to basically just be an angry song about being upset with someone (everyone), but I just loved it because it got me pumped before a match, and also during a match. Several of the lyrics helped with getting in the zone, such as "back off, I'll take you on" and "headstrong to take on anyone", but I also enjoyed the lyrics about reading their fantasies/decisions, as if trying to get into the head of the competition.

Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:12 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

53. Boom - P.O.D.

Back-to-back with the skate songs. One of my favorite songs used for roller hockey practice, or when played during speed skating. I still don't know what the first word of this song is, but it always sounded like "push off" to me, so it was perfect to kick off to in the initial dash. And "Boom! Here comes the Boom!", "Ready or not? How you like me now?" when taking a shot, especially when making the point, was euphoric. As was "Is that all you got? I'll take your best shot!" when checking an opponent.

Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next