Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Shack's Top 67 Best Hits of 2000-2009 (Full list posted) 
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Shack's Top 67 Best Hits of 2000-2009
I was going to make it top 68 after remembering this superb song... but was not much of a hit

Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:05 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Shack's Top 67 Best Hits of 2000-2009
Oh gosh, "Hit Em Up Style"... I used to watch a fair amount of MTV, Fuse, and other music channels around that time and that video was played to death for several months that year.

1985 is fun.

Incubus is good. And love Fall Out Boy; it's pretty amazing that they've continued to release strong albums to this day.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Shack's Top 68 Best Hits of 2000-2009
Well the Dixie Chicks are more of a 2000s band than I thought, so we're back to 68 after all

37. Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams

I like all the singles from American Idiot (The days when it was novel for a band to come out against a Republican president instead of it being novel not to), but I'll give the edge to Boulevard after a stiff challenge from September. Considering it's otherwise fairly power chord and alt-rocky, although it does set a cool mood, I think the lyrics and vocal performance are the main appeal to me here as the theme of "I walk alone" and the imagery he brings up works to sell his mental state.

36. Fountains of Wayne - Stacy's Mom

When this came out it was a bad day for the girl with a hot mom in your class.

Much like 1985 the song goes beyond just novelty by sounding legit good musically, the guitar riff really works. It's also earnest enough that it makes it seem like singer/character genuinely believes he has a chance with Stacy's mom and would be for real if she gave him a chance.

35. 50 Cent - In Da Club

The beat is obviously a seminal classic, and 50's signature flow (smooth? casual?) fits in perfectly. It also makes being at the club sound cool. Add him looking cut and seeming like a badass in the video the of the best immediate arrivals of a new rap star.

34. Lifehouse - Hanging by a Moment

I like the instrumentals during the verses and the build into the power chorus works great both musically and lyrically. The song seems like one of the most romantic of the alt rock ones, so after researching it now and finding out some people think it was really about Jesus, so thanks Lifehouse for leaving the lyrics open ended so I can still interpret it as a relationship song if I want.

Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:57 pm
Devil's Advocate

Things could get a little bumpy coming up, I got a Nickelback song, solo Rob Thomas, My Humps... Actually only 2 of those things are true, one is a lie. But which one?

Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:10 pm
The Kramer

My favorite Green Day song and album is Warning but Boulevard is a solid choice.

50s first album was so good.

Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:16 pm
Devil's Advocate

33. Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love

I like the theme of "bleeding" love and how it makes the song seem more vulnerable and romantic and the stubbornness of still being in love with someone. And of course it's a nice vocal showcase for X Factor winner Lewis especially near the end.

32. Nickelback - How You Remind Me

I REALLY liked this song when I was like 11/12. I like the "never made it as a wise man" line. The video is pretty cool. Would I go out of my way to listen to Nickelback in my spare time? No. Am I kind of happy when songs like this, Photograph, Someday, etc. come on the radio? Maybe.

31. The Game feat 50 Cent - Hate It or Love It

Another really great beat giving it a nostalgic type feel as they look backwards. While 50 steals their other song How We Do, the Game earns his primary credit status in this one as both his verses are strong. The theme of hate it or love it the underdog is on top is one you don't have to be from the hood to feel.

Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:45 pm
Keeping it Light

Shack wrote:
Things could get a little bumpy coming up, I got a Nickelback song, solo Rob Thomas, My Humps... Actually only 2 of those things are true, one is a lie. But which one?

I'd say no My Humps.

Hanging by a Moment does not do much for me, all others are pretty great classics from the era.

Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:34 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Shack's Top 68 Best Hits of 2000-2009 (31-68 posted!)

30. Evanescence - My Immortal

I was originally going to do Bring Me To Life, but after thinking about it a little longer I decided My Immortal is my favorite Evanescence song. I really like the piano riff with Lee's vocals/lyrics and the band kicks in late for just the right amount of time.

29. Black Eyed Peas - Where is the Love?

Their breakout single is their best, the beat, violin, etc in the instrumental is excellent in both the verses and chorus and helps the song feel optimistically woke instead of cynical. All the members get their moment except ironically Fergie, who is usually my favorite member, but that's ok. Get her back for a reunion album please.

Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:54 pm
Devil's Advocate

28. My Chemical Romance - Welcome to the Black Parade

This was another close call between it and the Helena, but ultimately the Black Parade is just too unique/memorable in a good way with the slower part being as epic as the hard rock part with the piano, drums and vocals/lyrics with dramatic death theme. The immediate repeat with the guitar also works in its way. Then when it comes a more conventional rock song, it's still catchy.

27. LeAnn Rimes - Life Goes On

On the complete opposite end of things is this Leann Rimes song (was a bigger hit in non US countries, if you're wondering) which has the type of inspirational what doesn't kill you makes you stronger message that isn't exactly new and maybe kind of lame, but I just always really liked it and found it catchy, with a great pre chorus leading into the chorus in particular and her speaking to her ex love interest with some attitude.

Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:12 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Two all-time favorites today! My Immortal and Welcome to the Black Parade.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

26. The Dixie Chicks-excuse me, I mean The Chicks - Long Time Gone

While Maines vocal performance is still great telling the story of this farm girl's past, the other members contribute in a nice way to this song with the banjo and violin setting the tone perfectly for the type of place she grew up.. She is long time gone both figuratively (when her head was dreaming of her future) and then literally gone. That it was originally written from a man's perspective with a romantic interest Delia in the song who now is treated as a female friendship in this version translates really nicely. Travellin Soldier (which was surprised to see was 2000s, I would've guessed about 1997) also could've been on the list but I'll side with this fun one.

25. Our Lady Peace - Innocent

OLP who is on the shortlist of bands who were huge in Canada but only a moderate success in the US, seemed to be more of a Stone Temple Pilots type band in the 90s, while by 2000s they had gone full your mom's favorite rock band singing poppish inspirational songs to help kids with cancer and depression and stuff. The latter was the version and liked the most with standouts like Thief, Life and this song which I have always found catchy from the descriptions in the verses which I find human and relatable with everyone wishing for something, then the big chorus and then especially the bridge type sections before and after the chorus thanks to the lead singer's vocals.

Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:33 pm
Keeping it Light

I don't care for 25 and 26, but LOVE Life Goes On.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:46 am
Devil's Advocate

Just found out Incubus album was released in 1999, the single in 2000... it’s a good song, but I’m gonna have to disqualify it as 90s

Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:17 am
The Kramer

Post Re: Shack's Top 67 Best Hits of 2000-2009 (31-68 posted!)
Good thing Incubus released a hundred other good songs in the 00s!

Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:50 am
Devil's Advocate

24. Beyonce - Irreplaceable

What struck me listening to this song again, is that the backbone of this song isn’t some stellar industry changing beat they cooked up. Actually there isn’t one at all. It’s just an acoustic guitar and drum and a few other regular instruments. Maybe that’s part of why something feels fresh and likeable about this and Beyonce’s vocals on top of it. If it came out now they would have replaced all that with trap beats. I like how the song progresses with her revealing why he’s getting thrown out in the middle of it and showing that Beyonce is still a famous person in this version of reality, it’s just slightly altered so she’s with some dumbass instead of Jay-Z. “To the left, to the left, everything you own in a box to the left” is iconic.

23. Rob Thomas - Lonely No More

Rob Thomas solo career got off to a pretty strong start in my eyes with this fire track along with the solid This Is How a Heart Breaks. The beat is fantastic to me which always pumps me when the song starts and then is also used well in the chorus. Thomas’ vocal performance though is key as it's a combination of anger/frustration/self-loathing and sexuality “I don’t want to be lonely no more” is a line with a lot in it emotionally.

(Honorable mention to Matchbox Twenty’s Unwell which might’ve snuck onto my list, but I decided to not include it with Thomas already having a solo song on here)

Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:13 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Get the total number of this list sorted Shack

Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:39 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Shack's Top 67 Best Hits of 2000-2009 (23-67 posted!)
Surely it's going to be a Top 69.

Irreplaceable is one of Beyonce's best.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:31 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Jack Sparrow wrote:

I'm tired of having to retroactively edit all the previous posts with the new numbers :disgust:

Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:50 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Shack's Top 67 Best Hits of 2000-2009 (23-67 posted!)
Two more epic 2000s tracks and it's somehow not even top 20 yet!

22. Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag

I don't know enough about Wheatus to know if he always sings this way, but in this song the sensitive teenage boy type voice both works great for the theme and along with the acoustic song, the build to when the chorus explodes is amazing. I love the girl teenage dirtbag verse too. Surely this has to be one of the best songs-worst movie combos.

21. City High - What Would You Do?

What would you do if your son was at home, crying all alone on the bedroom floor cause he's hungry
And the only way to feed him is to sleep with a man for a little bit of money?

A line that was stuck in my head forever. The female singer's delivery of the chorus works really well, like she is genuinely asking you. But the guys parts are also strong, I like the convo with the stripper with the intensity of things like "every day I wake up hoping to die" and the line about her dad being a rapist, and while musically the interlude where he gives the opposing opinion is a little frustrating since the rest sounds so good, it does allow both sides to be heard. I also love the dance in the video.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:22 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Shack wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:

I'm tired of having to retroactively edit all the previous posts with the new numbers :disgust:

:funny:

Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:31 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Shack's Top 67 Best Hits of 2000-2009 (21-67 posted!)
I liked "What Would You Do?" back in the day, but over the years, anytime I'd look it up again for a listen, I liked it less and less. Still think it's solid though.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

20. Modest Mouse - Float On

Highly catchy combination of guitar, bass, etc. and meaningful and charming lyrics about some bad things happening but continuing to tread water for another day if nothing else waiting for good news to come around. Some of the lines like "a fake jamaican took every last dime with that scam, it was worth it to learn some sleight of hand" and "we both got fired on exactly the same day" are memorable.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:56 pm
The Kramer

Modest Mouse didn't play Float On when I saw them live. They have a ton of great songs but I'm always annoyed by artists who think they are better than their art.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:04 pm
Devil's Advocate

19. Blink 182 - The Rock Show

What I think takes this song to another level beyond just being a fun nostalgia young romance song is the bridge section where he's still hoping to meet her again in present day, and revealing that at some point she just never called him back and never saw him again, and he's still waiting for that call. The lines about wanting to move to Vegas and etc. so fast are then in retrospect a sign of their doom. Blink's guitar playing and drum combination are catchy as usual, and Mark has always been my preferred of the two. I don't know if this was always my favorite 2000s Blink song, but over the years I've liked it more and more when I hear it.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:46 pm
Devil's Advocate

18. Linkin Park - In the End

I feel like this song has been playing my whole life and it's still epic. The rap and rock mix one of their best of their songs with Mike's lyrics setting up the existential themes about time while Chester is still present in this part, then he becomes the heart of the song and I especially love the last third. The piano riff is also highly memorable. It's also hard not to associate it with the video which is one of the best of all time.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next