Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Flava'd Fifty 80s: Tubular Edition (50-1!) (+Shack’s list) 
The Kramer

Post Re: Flava'd Fifty 80s: Tubular Edition (50-16)
15. I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m still so very grateful I got to see Tom Petty live during his final tour (with Joe Walsh as the opener!) The easy highlight of the show was Won’t Back Down, I can vividly recall an entire arena doing the HEY BABY part as one. Just a super cool show from a super cool dude.

14. Slayer brings us one of the most badass guitar riffs of all time on this next joint. Instantly recognizable and instantly moshable. A certain other group that will be coming up inspired an entire wave of thrash metal in the 80s and early 90s, but I feel like none of them hit quite right. It’s like hitting a vape pen when trying to quit smoking, just not quite right and makes you want the original thing even more. But Slayer hits just right. No one would mistake Raining Blood for anyone else just because it's so damn good. It was also, in my opinion, the most difficult song in Guitar Hero 3!

13. It’s Tricky is another song that could have been ruined by just being played at every single damn event I’ve ever been to, as a fan or employee. It’s also hard to get the super corny DJ Qualls dancing scene from Road Trip out of your head. Also, Walk This Way is such an iconic cover song that it probably deserved to be here. Butttttt I just can’t deny It’s Tricky. It’s such a great time of a song. Run DMC, a hip-hop group, called themselves the kings of rock for a reason. They blend the two so well, ushering in the golden age of the 90s with this sound.

Closing in on the end, what could possibly be left???

Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:09 pm
Keeping it Light

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
8 is enough!

Also, stuffp, meant to ask do you have a preferred Huey Lewis song or is this your first time really hearing him?

A few more songs. I'm only gonna do 5 total today (3 now, 2 later) then start the top ten tomorrow.

I'm actually not familiar with him at all, besides the The Power of Love, which is a pretty great song actually, and that would certainly make more sense for me as his best 80's hit. But I think generally I'm just not too much into the "60's rock n roll" sound, though I listened to Elvis for a while.

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:24 am
The Kramer

Post Re: Flava'd Fifty 80s: Tubular Edition (50-13)
Oh Power Of Love is definitely his best. I didn't include it because it was on a different list and I wanted 50 unique tracks for this!

60s list would be tough to put together. No hip-hop, no hard rock, not alot of diversity in what I like there. Though plenty of amazing songs obviously. Beatles alone could fill an entire top 50.

New Beartooth album is so bad. I think Caleb was probably born in the 80s, but otherwise that doesn't fit at all. Same with Fast 9, which I also really liked.

12 and 11 coming up meow!

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:44 am
The Kramer

"I'm like evil, I get under your skin just like a bomb that's ready to blow"

12. Shoot To Thrill by ACDC

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:49 am
The Kramer

"I know you think I'm freakin, but can't you feel the curves?"

11. Anxiety (Get Nervous) by Pat Benatar

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:54 am
The Kramer

12. It’s hard to believe that the Back in Black album was the seventh full length for the band, with so many hits like Shoot To Thrill, Back in Black, Hells Bells and You Shook Me All Night. It feels like it should be earlier in their career, but really it was more of a reboot after the tragic death of their first singer. Or maybe a sequel to the original ACDC if you will, just like it was so prominently used in Iron Man 2. I saw the band live with Brian Johnson (singer #2, starting with Back in Black) and Axel Rose of all people which was pretty awesome.

11. Obviously Pat Benetar was gonna be on high because she is awesome. What song to pick though? Hit Me With Your Best Shot or Love Is A Battlefield are most certainly worthy. I just feel like the paranoid disco vibe of Anxiety is most fitting for an 80s list. They were dancing like crazy, but still worried a nuke might blow them up at any second. It’s weird to think about. No wonder Boomers think we are pampered.

Top ten tomorrow. In the meantime listen to that Beartooth album!!!

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:55 am
Devil's Advocate

Also, stuffp, meant to ask do you have a preferred Huey Lewis song or is this your first time really hearing him?

Second time you've sounded like Patrick Bateman after the Collins entry

Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:30 am
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Flava'd Fifty 80s: Tubular Edition (50-20)
"All my instincts they return, the grand facade so soon will burn"

18. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel

I was not familiar with this song, but damn, it's pretty fantastic.

Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:56 am
The Kramer

Post Re: Flava'd Fifty 80s: Tubular Edition (50-11)
Shack, would you like to see my new business card?

Stuffp, yes it is!

Five more songs today, but the shorter update will be up first!

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:38 pm
The Kramer

"Stale incense, old sweat and lies lies lies"

10. Sin by Nine Inch Nails

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:43 pm
The Kramer

"He came into her apartment, he left bloodstains on the carpet"

9. Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:48 pm
The Kramer

10. Nine Inch Nails get their third top ten track of a FF (#9 for Closer on the GOATs and #3 for Hurt on the 90s.) Most people forget that Trent Reznor actually started out in the late 80s though. And it wasn’t just a precursor to his broody 90s work, this is extremely synth heavy and quite groovy. Best known for Head Like A Hole, which is also a terrific song, my favorite from the first album is Sin, which is definitely the most 80s of all their songs, even their cover of Physical!

9. I’ve stated many times that Smooth Criminal was perfected in the year 2001 when Alien Ant Farm graced us with their cover. However, the original is still pretty damn great. The baddest of bad songs on an album that made being Bad a good thing (also a great song … my mistake, a Bad song!) One thing that confuses me, with both this and the covers, we never find out if Annie is actually ok. I’m guessing no if you have to ask her that many times.

More to come!

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:48 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Flava'd Fifty 80s: Tubular Edition (50-9)
You did send me back, but now I'm back from the future.

Great scott!!!!

Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:27 am
The Kramer

"I walked along the avenue, I never thought I'd meet a girl like you"

8. I Ran (So Far Away) by A Flock Of Seagulls

Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:32 am
The Kramer

"Bring the noise, my time, Step aside for the flex - terminator X!"

7. Rebel Without A Pause by Public Enemy

Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:40 am
The Kramer

8. “There was a flock of seagulls and a gas leak- that’s about it” was Austin Power summation of the 80s, and while he was frozen for the entire decade, he also wasn’t entirely wrong. I heard that line long before I understood the reference though. It wasn’t until the epic ads for the best Grand Theft Auto game: Vice City. Completely iconic marketing for an iconic game that featured a ton of these hits and many more! I don’t like to consider A Flock Of Seagulls a one-hit-wonder, they proved they are more than just I Ran with the very next track on the album - Space Age Love Song. But I do think this is at the very top of the only-in-the-80s hit songs.

7. Yo Chuck tell em all about it. Public Enemy are most known for fighting the power, lead by their martyr Radio Rahim. I’m all about the rhythm, the rebel without a pause and I aint lowering my volume level when it comes on. Little did Chuck D know his prophecy of a Terminator X would come true 13 years later during the Rise of the Machines! Do you think Public Enemy would prefer the machines or the whites?

I know I promised three songs, but...

Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:40 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Flava'd Fifty 80s: Tubular Edition (50-7)
I would guess for top 6

A Metallica song
A GNR song
Don't Stop Believing
Straight Up

Not sure about the rest, Duran Duran feels at home in an 80s list although some others like Madonna and Janet/Whitney also not represented, and no Dire Straits song yet either. Maybe We're Not Gonna Take It or Fight for Your Right to Party as well.

Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:09 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I know I promised three songs, but...

Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:15 am
Devil's Advocate

I will be posting my list after Flava is done

Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:31 am
The Kramer

Jack I thought that was from Half Blood at first, yelling at Snape, but he looks way too young. The end of Philosopher's Stone maybe?

Shack you're on the right track, though only about halfway so. I will spoil one thing and say "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits was in my original list based on memory, but the lyrics ended up being a lot more uncool than I remembered. Very cringey, and so very avoidable. Also, using the same word to describe someone 3 times in a verse is just lazy, even if that word doesn't traumatize people.

Anyways, 6 and 5 coming up now. Maybe 4 too, but maybe not.

Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:23 pm
The Kramer

"Cash flow getting low so I had to find a job, I found a nice place to visit but a better place to rob"

6. High Plains Drifter by Beastie Boys

Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:33 pm
The Kramer

"With your feet on the air and your head on the ground"

5. Where Is My Mind? by Pixies

Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:39 pm
The Kramer

6. Beastie Boys took over the scene with their fun mix of hip-hop and punk rock in the mid 80s, mostly concerned with fighting for their fight to party. Their second album, Paul’s Boutique, didn’t exactly change much in the subject matter, they wouldn’t become embarrassed by their more-problematic lyrics later in life. Though at least they were asking girls to shake their rump instead of just hitting them with a wiffle ball bat. High Plains Drifter sees these Nickelodeon bandits on a good ole fashion caper, inspired by the Clint Eastwood movie of the same name, upsetting and outraging the local populace not just with their words and behavior, but also bullets. This song is mostly so badass because of the composition though. The Beasties style is usually to give one member a portion of the verse, let them spit a few lines then pass the mic to one of their partners. On HPD they switch after almost every line though, sometimes even rapping over each other. It’s a little jarring at first, especially with low volume, but the world has to come to appreciate it as one of their best.

5. A surprising fact; despite Where Is My Mind being the signature song for Pixies, they actually didn’t even release it as a single at the time. Thus why it does not have a music video, even though it absolutely should. It wasn’t until wrestler Orange Cassidy starting using it as his theme music in the year 2021 that people began to take notice. Nah, I’m kidding of course. Everybody and their mama found out about this gem of a song from the movie Fight Club, where it is perfectly placed at the very end of the movie. Seriously, other than See You Again, has there ever been a more fitting piece of music to accompany an end of a story? So this song has become an anthem for the lost, and also just anyone who loves an absolutely killer guitar riff.

No 4 yet, and not just because I'm being lazy (though that doesn't help.) I liked the idea of doing 4/3 later and then 2/1 tomorrow. #1 is probably already obvious considering my taste, but it'll be a 100% certainty once #2 is revealed. But let's not worry about that just yet. Enjoy these two legendary tracks while you have the chance!

Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:41 pm
Devil's Advocate

Shack you're on the right track, though only about halfway so. I will spoil one thing and say "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits was in my original list based on memory, but the lyrics ended up being a lot more uncool than I remembered. Very cringey, and so very avoidable. Also, using the same word to describe someone 3 times in a verse is just lazy, even if that word doesn't traumatize people.

I think it's ok cause the "little F" ends up a millionaire and winning while dumbass delivery truck and fridge repair type guys who think 'I could do that' which I think is what the song are about, just continue being losers. But I have a different song by them on my list.

Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:56 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Jack I thought that was from Half Blood at first, yelling at Snape, but he looks way too young. The end of Philosopher's Stone maybe?

Yep that's from the finale of Philosopher's Stone.

Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next