Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Flava'd Fifty 80s: Tubular Edition (50-1!) (+Shack’s list) 
The Kramer

Post Flava'd Fifty 80s: Tubular Edition (50-1!) (+Shack’s list)
My next week is light and breezy, I got nowhere to book it so why don't we chill with some tunes yo? The 80s are looked back upon as quite bodacious and gnarly, though I've hesitated on making this list for fear of it not being fly enough. Despite some bad homeys making some new genre called hip-hop, and the spaz and headbanger crews taking rock in new directions, I was concerned a goober like me and his favorites would all be very samey. It was heavy. Did that break the jonesing for an 80s list though? As if! There are still plenty of killer tracks to mosh to. And while the list still majority white dude rock, turns out I had a cow for nothing since there was still enough sonic diversity to go around. So I took a chill pill, regrouped at the crib and made some cool beans.

Let's go!

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:29 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Flava'd Fifty 80s: Tubular Edition
One song per artist rule just like with the 90s. And any song that made it onto a previous FF is disqualified. Those songs being:

Spoiler: show
GOAT Edition:

One - Metallica
For Whom The Bell Tolls - Metallica
Straight Outta Compton - NWA

Pop edition:

Living On A Prayer - Bon Jovi
Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
The Power of Love - Huey Lewis
So only six are off the board, which is kind surprising even to the guy who made those lists!

90s winner was CREAM by Wu-Tang Clan. Can the 80s produce a more righteous #1? We shall find out - starting tomorrow!

Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:38 pm
The Kramer

Update one coming up!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:45 pm
The Kramer

“Now all you sucker DJs who think you’re fly…”

50. Word Up by Cameo

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:50 pm
The Kramer

"Poor old Johnny Rae sounded sad upon the radio, moved a million hearts in mono"

49. Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Rumors

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:57 pm
The Kramer

"I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark, we're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks"

48. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler

Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:02 pm
The Kramer

"Huggin and a-kissing, dancing and a-loving, wearing next to nothing cause it's hot as an oven"

47. Love Shack by The B-52's

Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:07 pm
The Kramer

"So many times it happens too fast, you trade your passion for glory"

46. Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor

Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:11 pm
The Kramer

50. Word Up is a song that I first discovered when nu-metal band Korn covered it in the early 2000s. While I still appreciate that version, I think it goes without saying that the original, from funk band Cameo, is superior. It’s just a very fun time. And so very 80s! A more appropriate song could not have been picked to kick off the proceedings! I’m kinda surprised that Candy is their top played song on Apple, even though that one is a good time too.

49. Come On Eileen is by a band called Dexys Midnight Rumors, whose top eight songs on Apple are all different versions of this song. There’s a lot of that going around this decade, but I’m sure they have their fans who swear that COE is actually their worst song. Anyways, while I always thought this was a fun pop song, it elevated itself into the ranks of greatness a few years ago when I went to a place called Whiskey Island. There, they had a cover band called the Spazmatics doing the best of the 80s, and despite songs that placed on higher on this list being in the set, Come On Eileen was the highlight and I’ll always remember it as one of the best representations of this decade.

48. An issue with pop songs of the past is how often they’ve been co-opted into things like commercials, tv, movies and elsewhere. So by the time a youngster like me finally heard songs like Total Eclipse of the Heart in full (on American Idol), I associated them with all the corny stuff that had nothing to do with the tune itself. So we gotta try to appreciate the song for what it is, and not picture Zapp Brannigan interrupting Kiff’s version of this at Space Karaoke. In that way, this is such a killer track! Good job Bonnie.

47. The comedic alternative band B-52s saw a resurgence in recent years thanks to the outrageously cool Rock Lobster (with an assist from Peter Griffin), but that was in the 70s which were a total buzzkill man. Love Shack is a getaway to the 80s, giving us all the funky goodness from that decade and wearing its new wave influence proudly. The silly lyrics are the draw to their songs, but you can hear the beginnings of the ska genre underneath.

46. Eye of the Tiger is the official theme song for Rocky 3, but really it could be the theme song for any machismo 80s action movie, or even any movie about overcoming tall odds. Remember this was still a time when the average American was living in fear of the Soviets dropping the bomb on them. Each and every one of us were prepared to stand up to the challenge of our rivals. Luckily that turned out to be unnecessary since communism doesn’t work, but that’s a story for another day and another song.

Alright, alright! Hope this eased us back into the past with comfort and style. Groovy baby. More coming later today (probably!)

Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:13 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Flava'd Fifty 80s: Tubular Edition (50-46)
Most of these songs have been ruined by hearing them too many times. But I like Eclipse of the Heart and Eye of the Tiger.

Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:14 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I've heard 0/5. Yay!

Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:17 pm
The Kramer

Shack wrote:
Most of these songs have been ruined by hearing them too many times. But I like Eclipse of the Heart and Eye of the Tiger.
Yeah this was the toughest part of making the list. I tried to do my best to not blame the songs for arenas/commercials/movies playing them to death, but it's hard to seperate. One song in the 30s would have been top 10 had I made it a few years ago, but now almost got left off entirely.

Jack I bet you have heard all of these songs in movies before.

Update coming, maybe a shorter one, we will see.

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:10 am
The Kramer

"Flesh rotting away, skeletons dance, I curse this day"

45. Pet Semetary by Ramones

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:16 am
The Kramer

"Lived through their vocations, from the past until completion"

44. Blue Monday by New Order

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:21 am
The Kramer

"Shot through the heart and you're to blame"

43. You Give Love A Bad Name by Bon Jovi

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:26 am
The Kramer

45. Ramones are best known for igniting the punk scene back in the 70s with smashes like Blitzkrieg Bop and I Wanna Be Sedated, but they kept going for quite awhile after that. Their youthful energy was mostly used up, yet they still had some bangers on their hands in the 80s, the best being this adaptation of their favorite Stephen King novel. The song is a bit cheeky, not exactly being scared of zombies and werewolves, but the horror of a potentially everlasting life.

44. Blue Monday is another song I discovered thanks to a nu-metal band covering it. This time it was Orgy that turned it into their biggest hit as well. Orgy’s version is alot shorter and to the point, but once again I have come to prefer the original with its electro epicness, This song sounds cyberpunky to me, and while you might assume that means it doesn’t work, it does!

43. Most people think a good mixtape has highs and lows, but we all know that the best mixtapes just keep going higher! Reference humor aside, the opening line to this song really does get people hyped. I guess the rest of the song is pretty good too.

That's all for now. I don't wanna go too long and blow it like the Utah Jazz.

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:26 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Jack I bet you have heard all of these songs in movies before.

Most likely but not full song individually.

Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:10 am
Indiana Jones IV

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I've heard 0/5. Yay!

May I have a reminder of your age and geographical location? Because to me all of these were instantly recognisable classics and the fact that someone would not have heard any of these boggles my mind. :zonks:

Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:16 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Flava'd Fifty 80s: Tubular Edition (50-43)
I was born in mid-80's in a remote town of India. I didn't hear about American music till I hit my teens.

Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:11 am
The Kramer

I guess southeast Asia doesn't have the same nostalgia for American 80s pop culture as America does. :P

More songs coming!

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:30 pm
The Kramer

"The battle's just begun, there's many lost, but tell me who has won?"

42. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:34 pm
The Kramer

"Shooting at the walls of heartache, bang bang"

41. The Warrior by Scandal

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:40 pm
The Kramer

"She's a very kinky girl, the type you don't take home to your mother"

40. Superfreak by Rick James

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:46 pm
The Kramer

42. If there is one thing everybody knows about Bono it is that he is very politically active. Most of the time it is in a “peace and love will prove victorious” type of way, very closely walking the line between “actually a great guy” and “actually a pretentious hippy.” Sunday Bloody Sunday is their most incendiary song and thus my favorite. Ultimately it still is about promoting peace and love over war, but they brought more weaponry to this fight here than merely good intentions.

41. The Warrior is now best known as the theme song to the Netflix show Glow. And it could not fit any better than it does. Scandal really gets you pumped up and ready for some action. This came out in the days where everybody was hot for Pat Benetar and wanted more and more that carried that sound. It was even written by the same guy as Love Is A Battlefield.

40. Cocaine is a hell of a drug. And we can imagine entire clubs full of people flying high on it while dancing to Rick James songs like Superfreak here. You may also recognize the beat from 90s close-call U Can’t Touch This, or from the weird kind of inappropriate dance scene from the end of Little Miss Sunshine. Wherever you came across Superfreak, we can all agree on one thing - ending your song with a sax solo is always a good idea. And that cocaine is a hell of a drug (it’s actually pretty meh but that’s not as fun to think about.)

Another shorter update, but a strong one nonetheless! Blame my cat who is currently trying to sit on my keyboard. :P More will (probably) come later!

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:48 pm
Devil's Advocate

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I've heard 0/5. Yay!

You have rare opportunity to hear some seriously classic songs for the first time!

Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next