Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Old Town Road vs Blinding Lights 

Old Town Road or Blinding Lights?
Old Town Road 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Blinding Lights 92%  92%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 13

Old Town Road vs Blinding Lights 
Devil's Advocate

Post Old Town Road vs Blinding Lights
Two record breaking smashes the last two years in different ways. Which one is better?

Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:00 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Old Town Road vs Blinding Lights
I'm going with Old Town Road, I find the lyrics a little more interesting

Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:04 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Blinding Lights 10 weeks back lol.

Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:01 am
Romosexual!

Blinding Lights all day long

Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:55 am
100% That Bitch

Lulz how is this even a question. One is one of the biggest memes and songs of all times and the other is THE biggest song of all times and a huge pop bop.
Blinding Lights everyday until I die

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:46 am
Devil's Advocate

Mau wrote:
Lulz how is this even a question. One is one of the biggest memes and songs of all times and the other is THE biggest song of all times and a huge pop bop.

Not the biggest song of all time, it helps that it came out in a terrible era for pop in terms of competition

Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:10 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Shack vote for OTR so that it enters the "race" :P

Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:32 pm
The Kramer

If by “terrible era for Pop music” you mean “Pop music is the best its ever been” then yeah.

Anyways, Blinding Lights wins easy. Old Town Road was fun for a couple weeks and its billboard run was nuts, but I feel more embarrassed than anything else whenever I hear it now.

Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:40 pm
100% That Bitch

Shack wrote:
Mau wrote:

Not the biggest song of all time, it helps that it came out in a terrible era for pop in terms of competition

I mean.... It has been in the top ten for 52 weeks, you're calling everything has been terrible for over a year?

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:36 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Agree its definitely not weak era when the song has been in Top 10 for an eternity.

Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:35 am
100% That Bitch

Next week's top q0 is having four debuts and Blinding Lights will still be #7-8. so yeah bitch.

weak era my asssssss

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:29 am
Devil's Advocate

Mau wrote:
Shack wrote:
Mau wrote:

I mean.... It has been in the top ten for 52 weeks, you're calling everything has been terrible for over a year?

First off since when it being in the top 10 for a year make it the biggest song ever more than than being #1 top 20 weeks in a row? Blinding Lights, Old Town Road and Despacito (also has a case for biggest song ever when including WW) all accomplished some amazing things in different ways

There is basically no way of telling whether Blinding Lights is a bigger hit than massive songs at the time like Smooth or I Will Always Love You or Yeah! or Every Breath You Take or whatever especially when Spotify is there now. How many weeks is Hey Ya in top 10 if there was Spotify? In my opinion there was also more bangers in the 80s and 90s. In 1999 when songs Smooth came out there was Baby One More Time, Genie in a Bottle, Livin da Vida Loca, Believe, No Scrubs, If You Had My Love, Bailamos, Unpretty, Heartbreaker, Say My Name, Bills Bills Bills, Wild Wild West, Every Morning, Steal My Sunshine, All Star, My Name is, Larger than Life, etc. and was still in top 10 30 weeks and #1 12 weeks. I wish there was that many catchy songs at once nowadays.

Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:05 pm
100% That Bitch

Shack, at the end of the day. Nothing compares to the run of Blinding Lights, while other songs have peaked higher, NONE have had as long of a "peak" than it.

The fact it has DESTROYED the previous record holder by 13 weeks and counting is just never happened before, plus the initial beat is recognized by everyone over the age of 2 worldwide. Blinding Lights is just that Bitch, OTR wishes it were half the bitch Blinding Lights is.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:28 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Also the comparison was between the two songs. I don't see how OTR had bigger competition during its run.

Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:35 am
The Kramer

One could make a solid argument that, despite its historic run, OTR wasn’t even the most popular song of last summer. “Bad Guy” is what people will remember and still be playing in thirty years.

Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:25 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Debating which song is more successful won't go anywhere. Both are essentially the most recent one-hit wonder hit versus longevity hit, just on steroids, that come around a couple times a decade or so. But I will say that Blinding Lights longevity is more interesting to me.

I honestly don't like either song. Old Town Road is fun for a minute (if that) while Blinding Lights fills the role of that tolerable background song you hear on the radio every time you get in your car. To me, anyway. I'm sure both have those that really enjoy them.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Shack wrote:
Mau wrote:
Shack wrote:
Mau wrote:

First off since when it being in the top 10 for a year make it the biggest song ever more than than being #1 top 20 weeks in a row? Blinding Lights, Old Town Road and Despacito (also has a case for biggest song ever when including WW) all accomplished some amazing things in different ways

There is basically no way of telling whether Blinding Lights is a bigger hit than massive songs at the time like Smooth or I Will Always Love You or Yeah! or Every Breath You Take or whatever especially when Spotify is there now. How many weeks is Hey Ya in top 10 if there was Spotify? In my opinion there was also more bangers in the 80s and 90s. In 1999 when songs Smooth came out there was Baby One More Time, Genie in a Bottle, Livin da Vida Loca, Believe, No Scrubs, If You Had My Love, Bailamos, Unpretty, Heartbreaker, Say My Name, Bills Bills Bills, Wild Wild West, Every Morning, Steal My Sunshine, All Star, My Name is, Larger than Life, etc. and was still in top 10 30 weeks and #1 12 weeks. I wish there was that many catchy songs at once nowadays.

Shack is right - pop competition is far weaker in recent years than it was in the previous half century. Far fewer catchy and beloved songs.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:55 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

And yet both Old Town Road and Blinding Lights came in the same year and were released just a few months apart. So it's just incorrect to use the argument when comparing these two songs.

Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:59 pm
Devil's Advocate

Jack Sparrow wrote:
And yet both Old Town Road and Blinding Lights came in the same year and were released just a few months apart. So it's just incorrect to use the argument when comparing these two songs.

It was more a response to calling Blinding Lights the biggest song of all time which I think is pretty hard to determine

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:23 pm
100% That Bitch

There have been like 25-26 ish different songs at #1s in the span of Blinding Lights run at the hot 100.

And Blinding lights is still at #6 lulz. Most of those #1s hits are already out of the charts, they pale compared to Blinding Lights.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]