Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Flavad-50: The Plague Year (#1 song and album!) 
The Kramer

Post Re: Flavad-50: The Plague Year (50-36)
So Eminem recently put out Music To Be Murdered By Side B. Considering that I did not like Side A much I didn't really the new one much mind, but it turned out to be alot better. Still not great, but a worthy inclusion into Shady's discography. "Book of Rhymes" is my favorite and while I don't know if it would have made it onto the top 50, I'd recommend it to anyone on the fence.

Anyways, more songs coming up!

Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:29 pm
The Kramer

You deserve the world and if no one else will say it, I'll spit it to the mic in the studio when I lay it

35. Crown by Chika

Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:33 pm
The Kramer

Took down the names of everyone in my red book, here comes revenge for everything you took

34. Brick by Fake Names

Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:40 pm
The Kramer

Mismatched fits that was way before you know me, got a lot of love well you better save it for me

33. Mood by 24kGoldn and Ian Dior

Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:43 pm
The Kramer

Open your door but don't share where you sleep, cause this is where the black sheep eat

32. Nightcrawlers by NIKI

Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:47 pm
The Kramer

Pitch black then BOOM, I'm part of this reality

31. Freaking Out by Dregg

Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:50 pm
The Kramer

35. Crown popped up on Obama’s “songs of the summer” playlist, but I was already down with Chika thanks to, you guessed it, the BARS playlist. You can’t be first at everything Barry. This song is pretty inspirational and all that so it makes sense that it would appeal to the guy. Has a College Dropout era song vibe, even though I don’t think Kanye had anything to do with the production. Just the influence.

34. Fake Names are a supergroup of sorts consisting of the singer of Refused and the guitarist of Bad Religion alongside other punk veterans. It doesn’t sound like either of their own bands, or even a mashup of them all, but still fits just right. This is probably the shortest song to ever appear on the Flava’d Fifty at a very brisk one minute and forty four seconds. Yet they don’t waste anytime and make their point in the allotted time.

33. Mood is the second song on the list to hit #1 on the hot 100, and while I haven’t run the numbers that already seem high. A good selection of tracks hit it this year. This one came out of nowhere too, rising up the Rock/Alternative charts even though its not rock at all lol. That’s just how the radio works these days I suppose. The genre stations are basically the minor leagues to the pop and hip-hop goliaths. On a normal day that might bug me, but when it leads to songs like Mood getting their earned success then I suppose it’s all for the best. This might be the best song of the summer that didn’t actually come out in the summer, like a reverse of all those times the Halloween franchise released in July.

32. Niki was a nice little discovery this year, pitched to me as an Indonesian Ariana - she turned out to even more than that. Her album is split up into three personalities, one pop, one r&b and one a bit harder. You know my motto is “go hard or go home” and Niki sure lives that life in the second half of this song. So this particular track ends up being more like Lily Allen mixed with Sicko Mode then Miss Grande.

31. You know a song is badass when the Guitar Teacher version of it has even more views than the official channel. I actually don’t know if that is true, but if it has never been said before then I'm making it a new Rock Rule. We all want concerts back obviously, but songs like this are what really make me miss them the most. I want to mosh dammit! Even when things are back to “normal” that might be impossible.

Wonder Woman Nineteen Mehtyfour was disappointing, but Soul was great enough to make it a green day nonetheless.

More songs tomorrow .. probably!

Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:52 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Flavad-50: The Plague Year (50-31)
Another fun 2019 I discovered this year was the jazzy j-pop bop "Wild Side" by ALI, used expertly in the opening credits for the anime Beastars. If you've ever thought "I like Zootopia and would really like to see what would happen if it was REALLY EMO" than Beastars could be the show for you.

30-26 coming up soooon.

Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:11 pm
The Kramer

We'll be safe and sound when it all burns down

30. I Disagree by Poppy

Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:16 pm
The Kramer

Now you act like a nobody, but you still wanna go down on me

29. Change by Pale Waves

Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:21 pm
The Kramer

When I moonwalk my diamonds still sunny

28. Lo Mein by Lil Uzi Vert

Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:26 pm
The Kramer

Aran gikk, knowlan stod, for folk og fe!

27. Fenden Ta Dette Hull by Kvelertak

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:34 pm
The Kramer

You might think it's impossible until you see a sandwich climb a wall

26. It's Bugsnax! by Kero Kero Bonito

Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:39 pm
The Kramer

30. Despite what her name would suggest, Poppy is not all that poppy. She used to be more poppy, and also used to pretend she was a robot, but then decided hey you know what I wanna try out some alt-metal as human on this next album. I think HHH talked her into it just so he could use her songs to promote NXT. Back when that show was still good, they had Poppy use this song to play Io Sharai (the current women’s champion) to the ring and it was a hell of a cool moment. How best to achieve consciousness than with some good ole wrestling?

29. Pale Waves nearly perfected the art of goth-synth alt-pop on their first album in 2018. While the attitude is still there, they have shifted a little on this appropriately titled “Change” track. Sounds more like a 90s light guitar break-up anthem then a heavy Cure-based depressor. Heather sings “you’ve hurt me a thousand times before but I’m missing you right now so do it once more” , which indicates she has accepted the melancholy in her life, and quite frankly gets off on it.

28. The auto tuned pop-rap sound has taken over the world, and whether that is for the best is debatable. Personally I found the subgenre to be very samey which is usually a turn off for me. Uzi generates enough escape velocity to break out of this pattern though. Rather than sounding like some high dude in a club, he sounds like some high dude on a spaceship. More Guardians of the Galaxy than $1000 bottles of champagne. Do I have any idea what he is talking about? No, of course not, but I’m happy to take a trip around the stars to figure it out.

27. Kvelertak (another name Siri has trouble with) go on a journey through the mountains of Norway and take us along for the ride. If you translate the lyrics of this song it's something about an archeological dig finding a skeleton who is finally being buried after so many years. Which kinda fits the Metallica influence, most of their early songs were about stuff like that too. They really slide into that thrash metal influence on the second half of the song, nobody would be surprised to learn they handed the axe to Mr. Hammond and the sticks to Mr. Ulrich.

26. The song that inspired a thousand memes, and proved to be a much more effective form of advertising than any of the trailers for the Bugsnax game itself. Who could listen to this song and not be happy? It makes you wanna go where the bugsnax are and catch yourself a Bunger or SHISHKABUGGGGGG!!!! Thankfully, playstation gave the game out for free to anyone who buys a PS5 in the first two months. It may have been overshadowed by the delightful Astrobot a little bit, but the game and song will always remain in the hearts of abstract indie gamers.

And were halfway there! More tonight .. maybe? Definitely none tomorrow as I will have to to work once the Browns are over.

Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:43 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Flavad-50: The Plague Year (50-26)
Back again for the second half! The pace may be slower this year, but the tracks are still hot. Here is a recap for those just tuning in.

26. Its Bugsnax - Kero Kero Bonita
27. Fenden Ta Dette Hull - Kvelertak
28. Lo Mein - Lil Uzi Vert
29. Change - Pale Waves
30. I Disagree - Poppy
31. Freaking Out - Dregg
32. Nightcrawlers - NiKi
33. Mood - 24k Golden
34. Brick - Fake Names
35. Crown - Chika
36. No Time To Die - Billie Eilish
37. Bad Friend - Rina Sawayama
38. Circle the Drain - Soccer Mommy
39. Just A Kid - Princess Nokia
40. Immaculate - KXNG Crooked, Toney and Joel Ortiz
41. You Should Be Sad - Halsey
42. Wu Dirt - Terrell Hines
43. Whats Poppin - Jack Harlow
44. I Want More - Kaleo
45. Overkill - Holly Humberstone
46. Party Till I Die - Kim Petras
47. Use My Voice - Evanescence
48. Vaccine - Locksmith
49. Rain on Me - Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande
50. Lightning - Tiger Lili

25-21 next!

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:18 pm
The Kramer

Stumbled through your door cause you know I want to

25. Let You by Bully

Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:27 pm
The Kramer

Midnight your voice is shaking, you're losing patience, so far away

24. Daydream by The Aces

Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:32 pm
The Kramer

You're laughing like I'm suppose to know what you're thinking but I don't

23. Mind Reader by A Day To Remember

Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:37 pm
The Kramer

So we slip into a hopeless sea of regret as I stare through the hauntless maze in your eyes

22. Ohms by Deftones

Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:42 pm
The Kramer

I'm in the olympics the way I'm jumping through hoops

21. Positions by Ariana Grande

Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:46 pm
The Kramer

25. Alicia Bognanno and the rest of Bully popped up a few years ago and were a fine addition to the grrl power punk genre, channeling some Sleater-Kinney energy alongside the thousand other bands who were doing the same. I can’t really explain why, but their new album Sugaregg elevated them to a new level. Let You stood out to me as the best, but any one of the twelve songs could work as an example. On it they do the opposite of what the lyrics suggest, and did not let me down at all.

24. The Aces are girl-band quartet that makes pop jams to compete with the best of them, and they actually play their own instruments too! Can’t help but feel they’d be more successful if they hadn’t gone with a typical The band name, and instead were named after their first album - Volcanic Love. Names aside, Daydream works as both a road-trip song and anti-road trip song. Going away with the gals is fun and all, but they still think about what’s been left at home as they are touring around the globe. It’s a good balance to have in my opinion. Nobody wants to be too obsessed with leaving or returning home.

23. ADTR, in their recent days, tend to go back and forth between hard albums, and poppier albums. After Bad Vibrations went hard as they’ve ever been, it was a little jarring to hear them go back to songs like ‘Rescue Me’ and ‘Degenerates. However, Mind Reader finally hit the right spot, blending the two forms of rock as they did on their early albums (which everyone still loves.) And who can’t relate to someone being upset at them for something they haven’t even done yet? Strong writing from the boys here to go along with a catchy tune that you can still mosh to (in the before times that is).

22. Taking a cue from Slipknot, Deftones decided to prove what they still had to offer and made their best album since the early 2000s. It was tough to pick a single song from it, 75% of the album could prove my point about Deftones being back to form, but Ohms was the first single and let the entire world know they weren’t fucking around. Plus the main, instantly iconic riff, sounds like nothing they’ve ever done and is the best way to appeal to new fans. The drummer even (jokingly) complained about mixing his own work in when, in his own words, “the guitar is eating up everything.” I love that line.

21. Ariana Grande found a new lover sometime in between now and TUN, and thus went back to Very Horny writing style. The positions she is switching are not just metaphorical. She’s having lots and lots of sex. Yet .. when taken in context with the video (where she is the president) and other songs on the album (like telling the real president to ‘Shut Up’) we can find some political subtext here without digging too deeply. During the election cycle, on both sides (though one more than the other), peoples did have a habit of changing their mind depending on whatever their chosen candidate thought about an issue. A slippery slope. I’d rather just get laid all the time then have to deal with the 2020 election cycle all over again. So keeping doing you, Ari.

Gonna try to finish this before the new year, but no promises. :P

Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:47 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Flavad-50: The Plague Year (25-21)
And we are back here on December 30th ... so finishing before the end of the year is no longer likely haha. My bad. But I hope it gives you all more time to check out the tracks (even though the latter half of the list is rockier, as always.)

My shout out today goes to "Just Us" by Trent Reznor and Atticus Finch, a beautiful song that closes out the Soul soundtrack. Very moving song that combines that jazzy and techno elements from the rest of the soundtrack. Epiphany is a real winner too. Amazing score all around for the best movie of the year.

20-16 coming ... now!

Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:29 pm
The Kramer

Remember when you tried to kiss her, but she was gay and liked your sister?

20. Lyrics Lie by Dance Gavin Dance

Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:39 pm
The Kramer

But your fears got it all wrong, that he's right and there's something wrong

19. Solo by Carly Rae Jepsen

Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:44 pm
The Kramer

I couldn't wake up before noon, I know for some that's kind of early but for me it's nothing new

18. Wartortle by Dogleg

Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next