Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Flavad-50: The Plague Year (#1 song and album!) 
The Kramer

Post Re: Flavad-50: The Plague Year (25-21)
Today I woke up to a brand new me, free from the times of tradgedy

17. Still Alive by The Ghost Inside

Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:53 pm
The Kramer

I found a motel, it looked like the bins, I think there'd been a murder so we couldn't get in

16. If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know) by The 1975

Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:00 pm
The Kramer

20. My friend once called Dance Gavin Dance a scenecore band, which made me a little embarrassed to like them so much … until I listened to them again and told my friend to fuck off. DGD mix of clean and hard vocals over a chaotic background filled with dreams and distortion give them such a unique sound. Speaking of distortion, Lyrics Lie is a humorous song about how our memories can change when reflecting on them in public. Remember when we almost died? That never happened! ...Obviously this song was written before the plague...

19. Carly has become the queen of the B-Sides. Not only because this album was as hotly anticipated as side A, but that she delivered on it once again. And despite Side B being her horniest album to date, she still found time to write an anthem for us singles. Don’t go wasting your time feeling so low. Gotta love the wordplay there too. Also love how Carly shows her range, going from a whisper with a minimalist beat, to a soaring high accompanied by an orchestra.

18. Looking for new artists is always a difficult task. I’ll be the first to admit that putting an animal in your band name is a good way to attract my attention. Having an animal name, plus an album called Melee and a lead single called Kawasaki Backflip? Ok, you’re allowed in, no password needed. Maybe I’m crazy but I figure that if you can’t come up with clever names for your band and song titles then your songwriting will probably be equally lackluster. Dogleg then took it a step further by having a song called Wartortle, with a music video that remakes the movie Clerks. Seriously I URGE YOU ALL to watch the video, even if this isn’t your type of music. They do such a good job with it!

17. Not to be confused with the band Ghost or the game Inside, these raging rockers are something completely different. What immediately stood out was the awesome group vocals and personal lyrics, more reminiscent of a Comeback Kid type artist than the fantasy/devil stuff that usually goes into the genre. This band has not released any new music since 2014, before Apple Music (how crazy?) so this was also the first time I had heard of them. So it was like getting several new albums all at once! I can’t rank it because of being eight years old, but if Still Alive is at all appealing to you then check out the song Dark Horse ASAP.

16. The 1975 came into the year with one of the most hyped albums ever, the follow up to 2018s absolutely excellent A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships. This alt-pop band that many people had still not heard of was due for a massive tour across the nation in the all the biggest basketball arenas. Unfortunately, it didn’t quite live up to its predecessor and the pandemic ended their huge tour before it even started. The good news is that it still had a lot of high quality tracks and the big tour can still happen … eventually. If Youre Too Shy definitely plays to their strengths, a romantically melancholic song with an undeniably catchy rhythm, and I imagine it’ll get people moving when those live shows eventually do start up again. It also predates the rise of OnlyFans, but the characters in this song would LOVE that site.

So many great songs left out of the top ten. How could there possibly be five more before the best of the best? Only one way to find out!

Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:01 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Flavad-50: The Plague Year (25-16)
Let the Taylor Swift songs begin.

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:50 pm
The Kramer

Lol Jack, actually I'm only using one song per artist specifically so Taylor doesn't take up half the list (which she probably would.) Does every song on Evermore deserve to be on the top 50? Absolutely. But that makes a rather boring list, and plus we already have the TaYlor 50 for that. :P

15-11, which may (but probably won't) feature Taylor's one entry coming up!

Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:53 pm
The Kramer

I gave my knuckles a run for their money, spider web cracks on the mirror I see someone but not somebody

15. Trouble's Coming by Royal Blood

Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:58 pm
The Kramer

Whoever did this is on Hopsin's shit list, god forbid the world gets apocalyptic

14. Covid Mansion by Hopsin

Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:04 pm
The Kramer

I'm going through withdrawal, you don't have to do too much, you can turn me on with just a touch

13. Blinding Lights by The Weeknd

Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:09 pm
The Kramer

Gotta leave the engine running in the front seat, in my mama's winter coat

12. Don't Wanna by HAIM

Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:14 pm
The Kramer

Too afraid to live, so you go on your own to avoid what's there

11. Wasted by My Morning Jacket

Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:19 pm
The Kramer

15. Royal Blood were one of the artists most affected by the shutdowns, as it was set to be their big breakout year. A new album and big spots on every summer rock festival will do that for you. Unfortunately .. things happened. Un-unfortunately, the two fellas decided to give us a very funky preview of what 2021 will look like. It didn’t both me all too much, but the criticism surrounding album 2 was its saminess, and the Blood boys obviously took that to heart. How do you make a more varied sound with only a bass and drums? Well, this is how. Never again shall ye doubt.

14. Dropping near the beginning of the pandemic, Hopsin gave us a much needed humorous take on his experience. A savage beat that accompanies makes it almost a quarantine diss track, which we definitely needed more of. I love the lack of judgement on this track though, encouraging chicks to make an OnlyFans and not immediately brushing off the idiots who blame the 5G towers. A nice little oasis of comedy in a desert of people constantly yelling at and blaming each other (me included … sorry Hop.)

13. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know what you’re thinking. Wasn’t Blinding Lights on last year’s list? Yes, yes it was. But (and I like big butts), one of the main appeals of this is its durability and that it sounds just as fresh as it did at this point last year. So that’s why, instead of Snowchild (my favorite of the “newer” songs) making it on, BL just gets a 36 point bump. This isn’t the grammys where we snub people just for the heck of it. There was a question about which of today’s hits will still be getting airplay in 30-40 years … this is one of them.

12. HAIM was a big part of the Ezralution this year. What does that mean? Well it means that several of the biggest acts in rock and alternative took a look around the scene and said ‘you know who is doing good stuff right now? Vampire Weekend. Let’s be more like them.” Thus they recruited former guitarist Batmanglij to produce their new record and it was a roaring success. All time high marks and a grammy nomination for album of the year. Once known as the gals who do silly dances with Taylor Swift, HAIM is now closer to taking over the game then playing along with it.

11. A lot of things made me miss concerts in the year 2020, but none more so than the song Wasted by My Morning Jacket. It starts off as a solid, but kind of typical song for them. I would have been fine with it as is, but likely would have gone with Feel You as their one ranked song though. However .. at the halfway mark they just take off into an epic jam fest … and that’s what I mean when I say we need concerts back to properly appreciate stuff like this. Where the sonic vibrations penetrate every cell in your body to either groove or rage along with. It’s a feeling that just cannot be captured in the studio, though MMJ came as close as anyone could on the second half of this track.

And a happy new year!

Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:20 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Flavad-50: The Plague Year (25-11)
Happy New year Flava'd good to hear that. I still love your lists :thumbsup:

Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:01 pm
The Kramer

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Well its a new year so I suppose we should try putting all this 2020 stuff to bed. Time for the top ten!

Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:21 pm
The Kramer

I don't wanna die tonight at the hands of anybody else but you

10. Be My End by Creeper

Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:26 pm
The Kramer

Common love isn't for us, we created something phenominal

9. Physical by Dua Lipa

Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:31 pm
The Kramer

We're dressing skeletons, oh, like a funeral home in your basement below, dancing with ghosts in your garden

8. Jurassic Park by Stand Atlantic

Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:36 pm
The Kramer

The simulation just went bad, but you're the best I ever had

7. Bloody Valentine by MGK

Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:42 pm
The Kramer

10. Creeper brought the mid 2000s back with this very MCRish emo anthem. It makes me feel old to know that something I liked in high school is now being exploited for nostalgia, but that is the cycle of culture. The good news is that these boys are no mere imitators, gaining one of the best metacritic scores of the year for their new album. They really get the whole emo thing. And though this is a personal apocalypse, it fits well with the macro narrative of 2020. We’re fine dying by the hands of something we love, but if Covid kills us then there will be hell to pay.

9. Arguably, no one had a more impressive ascent than Dua Lipa in the year 2020. She went from a talented, respected winner of the Best New Artist grammy, but one without a signature sound, to the queen of modern Disco. These songs are a throwback to what many believe to be a better time, but she is also not just copying the past. Physical has an edge to it that disco has historically lacked. Dua is not just requesting they get physical, she is Demanding it. And I’m down to riot with her all night.

8. Jurassic Park isn’t about literal dinosaurs, as much as we’d all like it to be, so much as treating certain people like your ancient past. It’s hard to let go, we aren’t gonna just leave those bones under the ground. The best way to deal with these old memories is to write an extremely catchy pop-punk song to let it all out. That works for everyone, especially me who gets to jam out to it. Happily dancing with ghosts in your garden.

7. The biggest surprise of the year (other than covid) has to go to Mr. Kelly, Machine Gun. The world collectively groaned and rolled their eyes when MGK announced he was making a Blink-182 inspired pop-punk album as his next project. There’s no way this white rapper, from the Land till he dies, would be able to pull this off right? Well, we gotta give the man credit. Most people say they want to be Blink-182 and just start a 3-piece band, sing about what makes them sad and call it a day. MGK actually goes out and recruits Travis Barker to both produce and play the drums on his album. With a little help from his friends, the man pulled off the impossible. Not only is this the best work he has ever done, but it’s also better than the actual revival of Blink-182 with the Alkaline Trio guy. Who could have guessed? Go Cleveland! Dude also bagged Megan Fox as his girlfriend this year … OK now I’m just jealous.

Happy 2021!

Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:42 pm
Devil's Advocate

I can't believe Physical only peaked at 60 on Billboard in the US. I looked it up and couldn't believe it.

Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:17 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yep it was indeed surprising that Physical wasn't a bigger hit.

Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:43 pm
Indiana Jones IV

"Physical" is Dua Lipa's best song, and my favourite song of 2020. I don't get why it didn't do much in the US.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:08 am
Hold the door!

It was never an official US single, it was never sent to radio or promoted after the album release.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:00 am
The Kramer

Yeah its weird that Dua hasn't been able to follow up on the success of Don't Start Now. She released a Levitating remix, featuring DaBaby, weeks ago and its only now hitting the top ten (and mostly because nothing new has come out since the 18th.) I bet the first single off her next album will debut top 5 though.

The countdown continues with 6-3 next!!! Spoiler: all the previous #1s are coming off the board.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:34 pm
The Kramer

Good thing I've cleaned enough houses to know how to cover up a scene

6. No Body, No Crime by Taylor Swift and HAIM

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:44 pm
The Kramer

What kind of words would cut through the clutter of the whirlwind of these days

5. My Own Soul's Warning by The Killers

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next