Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Flavad-50: The Plague Year (#1 song and album!) 
The Kramer

Post Re: Flavad-50: The Plague Year (25-11)
We're so high, rollercoaster ride, diamond bright kiss me right, yeah, that's so nice

4. Claws by Charli XCX

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:54 pm
The Kramer

Look at all these slave masters posing on your dollar

3. JU$T by Run The Jewels, Pharrell Williams and Zack De La Rocha

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:59 pm
The Kramer

6. What an incredible flex the year 2020 was for Taylor Swift. All her world tours were cancelled, and the girl was clearly just as bored as the rest of us during quarantine. Does she whine about it? Does she call it a hoax and continue living her life as is anyways? Nope. Instead, Taylor took a trip to the woods. Obviously Joe is rubbing off on her in more than one way, because her new phase has Taylor becoming the indie record that is cooler than her. Trading in Panic At The Disco for The National and Bon Iver is not gonna light the radio on fire, but at this point Taylor just doesn’t give a fuck, and why should she? Then, she goes ahead and DOES IT AGAIN in the same damn year. And while Folklore definitely sounded like a Trip to the Woods album, Evermore plays more like a Trip in the Woods album, exploring the frontier rather than settling into the countryside. My favorite song changes after every listen, but I always get most excited when this harmonica driven tale of murder and revenge comes on. There’s nothing that shows your maturity more than killing someone in a song right? Taylor gets her Dexter/Slim Shady suit on and the rest of us can only listen in awe. Can’t wait to see her perform these songs live … in 2025?

5. The Killers are another example of the Ezralution of music over the past year. Brandon himself has stated “after hearing Vampire Weekend’s Father of the Bride album, I knew we couldn’t go on as we were.” That did not lead to a major sound change or anything, they are still The Killers, just a better version of them. They go back to Sam’s Town to find their inner Springsteen and unleash it upon the world once again. I liked their previous two records, but they definitely felt way too comfortable, especially now in retrospect. My Own Souls Warning is The Killers way of taking their mantle as one of the best bands of our generation. They just wanted to get back to where they were and succeeded.

4. This might be a corny way to describe a song called Claws, but damn this track really scratches. Charli self-produced her new album and, in this guy's opinion, it turned out a lot better than the super-produced one she released last fall. Claws might be her most memorable song yet. If you haven’t heard it yet then both thanks and sorry, because this beat will never leave your head. It’s at a volcanic level of heat, liquid hot magma. So-called PC music has a tendency to be too … much. Claws is just the right amount of much, Goldilocks would be proud.

3. RTJ took a more minimalist approach to production for their new album. What they did not tone down was their incendiary lyrics, lighting that shit up like a building in Portland. Just is obviously the hardest hitting track thanks to this, aided by Pharrell and Zach from Rage Against the Machine. Killer Mike once said that everything he writes is like an anarchist cookbook and lives up to it. Despite the heavily implied racial connection, all of us are slaves to all the mighty dollar. Just when you get the bases loaded they’ll roll a grenade in the dugout - I think we’ve all felt this way before. The breath of me is like weaponry to me but to you its just money - not so relatable but it can be.

Almost done! Though honestly I don't know when they'll be up for one reason (besides my evergrowing lack of motivation to do ... anything) - I still can't decide! They are both too good and deserving a #1 spot in most any other year. Yet somebody is gonna have to settle for second. Which shall it be?

Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:01 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Flavad-50: The Plague Year (10-3)
The di has been cast, a decision has been made. I still think the songs are equally awesome, but I found a good reason to favor one over the other.

2 and 1 coming up!

Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:33 pm
The Kramer

I need to know where your loyalties lie, tell me are you gonna bark or bite?

2. Kingslayer by Bring Me The Horizon and BABYMETAL

-Holy shit does this song get me pumped up. Such an awesome opening. Bring Me the Horizon and BABYMETAL both make their mark on it, and I don’t think either could have done this on their own. The super intense opening verse mixes so well with the j-poppy chorus. And it was really all quite unexpected too. Last year Bring Me The Horizon released the Amo album in January, which very much had a mission statement of becoming a different type of artist than they used to be. While the old fans cried they were going soft, new fans like myself were pleased that Oli and co. could finally calm the heck down (I’ve since come to like most of the old stuff, but that early death metal screamocore is still tough on the ears.) It opened up a lot of new doors for the band, and it definitely seemed like they would continue down the experimental path, making songs with people like Grimes rather than other hard rock acts. Well quarantine changed alot of things, and apparently one of those was reigniting BMTHs passion to go hard and fast. Yet, it’s still very progressive, sounding like their metal days filtered through an epic science fiction movie. It is futurist metal and all the fans, old and new, were delighted by the result. Pushing towards the future while respecting the past is a balance that so few, in and out of the music industry, fail to find, so we should all take the time to put some respect on the names that do.

Like a virus in a lullaby, artificial to the day you die silly programe, you're corrupted

Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:44 pm
The Kramer

I accidently self-impose, bashful thoughts, careless wants, emotional involvement

1. Dream Boy by Beach Bunny

-Lili Trifilio bookends the 2020 Best Songs list with the rest of boys in the band. Beach Bunny have been around for a few years now, putting out a single here and an EP there, but the majority of us did not have the pleasure of being a part of their world until the release of their first full length album, Honeymoon, in February 2020, otherwise known as The Last Good Month. Dream Boy was popping up on playlists and just capturing the hearts of anyone who had the pleasure of hearing it. You can take one scan at the list to see that I very much enjoy both rock and pop music, so people that can seamlessly combine the two are always gonna get big points with me. I’m not sure anyone has ever done it so quite so perfectly as Beach Bunny though. Lili’s lyrics and style of singing definitely trend towards the pop radio side (especially those soaring hooks), but she is also an excellent guitar player and knows how to move the other pieces around to produce a killer rock track. It’s not often that you will see people moshing to the line “if you’re gonna love me make sure that you do it right” yet Lili is creating a wall of death around those lines. Her sharp lyrics also project enough imagery to satisfy both the romantic and the raging. If that wasn’t enough, what puts Beach Bunny over the top for me is what they did to help us cope in the opening months of the pandemic. I’ll always remember Lili doing her instagram concerts to get us through the withdrawal that came from losing live shows. The full band then did a full show on Audiotree in the summer that really hit a spot that nothing else could fulfill. All things considered, I can’t think of a better way to take us out of 2020 then with Dream Boy.

Oh, I tend to keep my heart locked water-tight, all you gotta do is meet me after midnight

Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:57 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Flavad-50: The Plague Year (10-1!)
And there we go, Beach Bunny marks the third "new artist" to take #1 in the past five years, which I think is a pretty great thing for the music biz overall.

2020: Dream Boy - Beach Bunny
2019: Cruel Summer - Taylor Swift
2018: Now or Never Now - Metric
2017: Need To Feel Your Love - Sheer Mag
2016: Forget Me Now - Against the Current
2015: Dead Inside - Muse
2014: Oh My Darling Don't Cry - Run the Jewels
2013: Unbelievers - Vampire Weekend
2012: Little Talks - Of Monsters and Men
2011: Get Away - Yuck
2010: Dance Yourself Clean - LCD Soundsystem
2009: Panic Switch - Silversun Pickups
2008: All Nightmare Long - Metallica
2007: Through the Fire and Flames - Dragonforce
2006: When You Were Young - The Killers
2005: Helena - My Chemical Romance
2004: Ch-Check It Out - Beastie Boys
2003: Faint - Linkin Park

And that brings the eighth edition of the Flava'd Fifty to an end ... or does it???

I don't think I'll find the will to do a full write up for the albums list this year .. so how about we just take care of that with one final update? That's right - the 2020 album of the year will be awarded .. sometime soon! I promise! Can all the amazing things I said about BB hold up against the absolute powerhouse that came out very very late in the year? Only one way to find out!

Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:02 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Flavad-50: The Plague Year (50-26)
Full list

1. Dream Boy - Beach Bunny
2. Kingslayer - Bring Me The Horizon and BABYMETAL
3. Just - Run The Jewels with Pharrell Williams and Zach De La Rocha
4. Claws - Charli XCX
5. My Own Souls Warning - The Killers
6. No Body, No Crime - Taylor Swift
7. Bloody Valentine - MGK
8. Jurassic Park - Stand Atlantic
9. Physical - Dua Lipa
10. Be My End - Creeper
11. Wasted - My Morning Jacket
12. Dont Wanna - HAIM
13. Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
14. Covid Mansion - Hopsin
15. Troubles Coming - Royal Blood
16. If Youre Too Shy Let Me Know - The 1975
17. Still Alive - The Ghost Inside
18. Wartortle - Dogleg
19. Solo - Carly Rae Jepsen
20. Lyrics Lie - Dance Gavin Dance
21. Positions - Ariana Grande
22. Ohms - Deftones
23. Mind Reader - A Day To Remember
24. Daydream - The Aces
25. Let You - Bully
26. Its Bugsnax - Kero Kero Bonita
27. Fenden Ta Dette Hull - Kvelertak
28. Lo Mein - Lil Uzi Vert
29. Change - Pale Waves
30. I Disagree - Poppy
31. Freaking Out - Dregg
32. Nightcrawlers - NiKi
33. Mood - 24k Golden
34. Brick - Fake Names
35. Crown - Chika
36. No Time To Die - Billie Eilish
37. Bad Friend - Rina Sawayama
38. Circle the Drain - Soccer Mommy
39. Just A Kid - Princess Nokia
40. Immaculate - KXNG Crooked, Toney and Joel Ortiz
41. You Should Be Sad - Halsey
42. Wu Dirt - Terrell Hines
43. Whats Poppin - Jack Harlow
44. I Want More - Kaleo
45. Overkill - Holly Humberstone
46. Party Till I Die - Kim Petras
47. Use My Voice - Evanescence
48. Vaccine - Locksmith
49. Rain on Me - Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande
50. Lightning - Tiger Lili

Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:05 pm
The Kramer

And the album of the year goes to...

Evermore by Taylor Swift

-Swooping in right at the end of the year, Taylor takes the grand prize. Despite all the kind things I had to say about the runner-ups, Evermore is just some next-level shit by Miss Swift and nobody could stand a chance against that kind of onslaught. In July she released her first surprise album of the new era, Folklore, which was met with outstanding critical reviews, but a bit of a mixed one from the fans. Nobody could doubt her song-writing and singing abilities, but on the first alot of sounded a little too mellow and samey. Most have grown fond of it since then, appreciating tracks like Exile and Tha 1, but nobody expected this. It brings all the postive forward steps of Folklore, but adds in a lot more musical experimentation that brings it more up to speed to what I would normally like. I initially compared it to Death Cab For Cutie but even that doesn't do Evermore justice. If Folklore was a walk in the woods, Evermore is an adventure on the frontier. Taylor is seriously out here killing people in her songs now. And we're not just talking about someone's A-List status, she is chopping up their bodies and dumping them in the lake, much she did with her competition this year. All fifteen songs are a delight, and playing it on shuffle feels like winning the lottery every three to four minutes. I've already listened to it an absurd amount of times and it has thus far held up against any diminishing returns. Taylor has always changed her sound in small progressions, going from country to country-pop to pop-country to pop, but I don't think you can shove either Folklore or Evermore into any of those categories, they're something new, somebody at the top of the game challenging themselves and their fan base. And we are all the better for it.

Runner-ups!

2. Honeymoon - Beach Bunny
3. Post Human: Survival Horror - Bring Me The Horizon
4. Imploding The Mirage - The Killers
5. Dedicated Side B - Carly Rae Jepsen
6. RTJ4 - Run The Jewels
7. Ohms - Deftones
8. Melee - Dogleg
9. The Ghost Inside - The Ghost Inside
10. Future Nostalgia - Dua Lipa
11. Sugaregg - Bully
12. Eternal Atake - Lil Uzi Vert
13. Soul - Jon Baptiste, Trent Reznor and Atticus Finch
14. American Head - The Flaming Lips
15. How I'm Feeling Now - Charli XCX
16. Manic - Halsey
17. Afterburner - Dance Gavin Dance
18. Women in Music Part 3 - HAIM
19. I Disagree - Poppy
20. Fetch The Bolt Cutters - Fiona Apple
21. Folklore - Taylor Swift
22. The Waterfall 2 - My Morning Jacket
23. Sawayama - Rina Sawayama
24. Moonchild - Niki
25. Positions - Ariana Grande
26. Every Bad - Porridge Radio
27. After Hours - The Weeknd
28. Industry Games - Chika
29. The Sun And Her Scorch - Dizzy
30. Resonate - Lettuce

Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:51 am
The Kramer

And we can now add it to the overall list

2020: Evermore - Taylor Swift
2019: Dedicated - Carly Rae Jepsen
2018: Art Of Doubt - Metric
2017: Need To Feel Your Love - Sheer Mag
2016: In Our Bones - Against The Current
2015: Chasing Yesterday - Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
2014: 1989 - Taylor Swift
2013: Modern Vampires Of The City - Vampire Weekend
2012: Be The Void - Dr. Dog
2011: Something To Die For - The Sounds
2010: This Is Happening - LCD Soundsystem
2009: It's Blitz! - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
2008: Death Magnetic - Metallica
2007: Sound of Silver - LCD Soundsystem
2006: The Black Parade - My Chemical Romance
2005: Plans - Death Cab For Cutie
2004: To The 5 Boroughs - Beastie Boys
2003: Meteora - Linkin Park

And that is the actual conclusion of the 2020 Countdowns. Thanks for tuning in once again and I hope everyone found at least one new song to love!

Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:55 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Flavad-50: The Plague Year (#1 song and album!)
Thanks for the lists Flava. Really enjoy reading these :thumbsup:

Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:08 am
100% That Bitch

Some of these really are.... Choices

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:16 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Just realized not even a single song from Harry Styles' Fine Line :(

Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:21 pm
Hold the door!

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Just realized not even a single song from Harry Styles' Fine Line :(

Fine Line was released in 2019

Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:27 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I am sure that I didn't see any song then in his 2019 list as well :P

Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:53 pm
The Kramer

That's because Harry is trouble, trouble, trouble. :P

Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4