Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Evanescence 20th Anniversary - "All" Songs Ranked 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Evanescence 20th Anniversary - "All" Songs Ranked
I meant to do a countdown list of all of Evanescence's songs back in March/April around the 20th anniversary date, but I got sick and it was mostly forgotten about for a while.

So, rather than doing a countdown list, I'm just going to post them all!

The list includes 60 songs taken from their 6 main albums. Synthesis only had 2 original songs, so I only included those two from the album and not the newly arranged versions of older songs. And Lost Whispers includes select B-sides and bonus tracks and such taken from their past in case anyone is wondering what that is. There are still some bonus tracks not included, but I didn't want to scour around for every bonus track released.

Some notes:

-At least one song from their 4 studio albums made it inside the Top 10. I was thinking the Evanescence entry was maybe going to fall off and ruin this stat, but only one other song released after it managed to get in the top 10 while I was making the list.

-Fallen and The Open Door tie for most songs in the top 10 (4 songs each).

-Fallen was the strongest in rankings but The Open Door was definitely close. I actually wonder if The Open Door may have barely beat it if you do the math.

-The Bitter Truth ended up being the most uneven album in the rankings. One song in the Top 4, but every other song is spread out all over the list with two tracks near the bottom.

So here's my list!

Fallen (2003) / The Open Door (2006) / Evanescence (2011) / Lost Whispers (2016) / Synthesis (2017) / The Bitter Truth (2021)

01. My Immortal (Fallen)
02. Call Me When You're Sober (The Open Door)
03. Lacrymosa (The Open Door)
04. Broken Pieces Shine (The Bitter Truth)
05. Good Enough (The Open Door)
06. Whisper (Fallen)
07. Going Under (Fallen)
08. Bring Me To Life (Fallen)
09. My Heart Is Broken (Evanescence)
10. Lithium (The Open Door)

11. Lost in Paradise (Evanescence)
12. Weight of the World (The Open Door)
13. Sweet Sacrifice (The Open Door)
14. Missing (Lost Whispers)
15. Use My Voice (The Bitter Truth)
16. Swimming Home (Evanescence)
17. Your Star (The Open Door)
18. My Last Breath (Fallen)
19. Blind Belief (The Bitter Truth)
20. Haunted (Fallen)
21. Feeding The Dark (The Bitter Truth)
22. What You Want (Evanescence)
23. Everybody's Fool (Fallen)
24. Made of Stone (Evanescence)
25. Better Without You (The Bitter Truth)
26. Imaginary (Fallen)
27. Wasted On You (The Bitter Truth)
28. The Other Side (Evanescence)
29. Farther Away (Lost Whispers)
30. Cloud Nine (The Open Door)
31. Together Again (Lost Whispers)
32. Snow White Queen (The Open Door)
33. Breathe No More (Lost Whispers)
34. Tourniquet (Fallen)
35. The Only One (The Open Door)
36. Taking Over Me (Fallen)
37. Imperfection (Synthesis)
38. The End of the Dream (Evanescence)
39. Hello (Fallen)
40. Like You (The Open Door)
41. The Game Is Over (The Bitter Truth)
42. The Last Song I'm Wasting On You (Lost Whispers)
43. Oceans (Evanescence)
44. The Change (Evanescence)
45. Even in Death (Lost Whispers)
46. Hi-Lo (Synthesis)
47. Part Of Me (The Bitter Truth)
48. All That I'm Living For (The Open Door)
49. A New Way To Bleed (Lost Whispers)
50. Never Go Back (Evanescence)
51. Lose Control (The Open Door)
52. Far From Heaven (The Bitter Truth)
53. If You Don't Mind (Lost Whispers)
54. Disappear (Lost Whispers)
55. Sick (Evanescence)
56. Secret Door (Lost Whispers)
57. Take Cover (The Bitter Truth)
58. Say You Will (Lost Whispers)
59. Yeah Right (The Bitter Truth)
60. Erase This (Evanescence)

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Evanescence 20th Anniversary - "All" Songs Ranked
I only know a few but I definitely like the Bring Me To Life/Going Under/My Immortal combo, Going Under grew on me over time.

Random thought - I was listening to Simmons and Klosterman podcast talk about best rock bands in last 15 years and it's really crazy how much more interesting I find the bands that had their first albums from 2000-2007 then if you limit it to ones from 2008 or later.

2000-2007: The Killers, Arcade Fire, The Strokes, Linkin Park, Evanescence, My Chemical Romance, The National, Fall Out Boy, Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, The Black Keys, The Avett Brothers, Paramore, Interpol, Franz Ferdinand, etc.

From 2008 on I had Florence + The Machine, Mumford & Sons, Vampire Weekend as memorable bands with a certain level of success and their own sound (and even they wouldn't be eligible if I did 2010 to now). I know the metal fans respect Ghost. Imagine Dragons gets HM in a 3 Doors Down type way for 2000s. A lot of the other indie bands bleeds together for me though, these bands like 1975 or the Lumineers feel like alt radio filler at most to me.

Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:27 pm
The Kramer

Shack I have a list coming for you soon

Corpse, I love it. I had a couple "can't believe that is so high/low" moments but overall amazing. My Immortal was never my fav until I saw them live for the first time last year and it was so powerful that it's now really difficult to make the case for anything else at #1.

Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:46 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

If you like the big 3 singles from Fallen, you should at least check out the singles from their other albums too.

Flava'd: As I was doing the list, instead of going straight to what I'd think would be a top 10, I just went album to album as they were released, ranking the songs as I went.

I was a little surprised I put CMWYS at #2. I knew it'd be top 10 for sure, and probably top 5, but not #2. But... I really love it. It's probably the best example of Amy's more powerful vocals and belts, as most of the song is sung in chest voice. It works as a perfect counter to the much more heady My Immortal at #1, so in a way, both #1 and #2 showcase both her key voice types.

Good Enough is probably a surprise top 10 for anyone seeing the list. It was a single, but probably gets forgotten by many. However, it was always a standout on the album for me, and it gave me this almost nostalgic feeling inside back when it was released for some reason, and it still gives me that feeling today. I knew it was a very likely top 10 song. (It might also be their best music video, so I definitely recommend checking it out.)

I was also a little surprised Lithium managed to hang inside the top 10. I love it, of course, that's why it's there, but I wouldn't have predicted quite top 10 going into it. (#9-13 are very close.)

Missing has always been a favorite from when I first heard it on their Anywhere But Home live CD/DVD that released in... 2004? Since it wasn't on any of their main albums, I'd definitely recommend it to any Evanescence fan. As you can see in the rankings, it's my favorite B-side/bonus track. I wouldn't have predicted top 20 before making the list, but I'm not surprised it's there.

Haunted was sort of the opposite case. I wasn't expecting top 10 or anything, but figured it was going to be pretty close. Instead, it came in at #20. Still a good ranking, just not as high as I would have predicted.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:40 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Here's the math!

Fallen - 453 / 11 Songs = 41.18
The Open Door - 485 / 13 Songs = 37.31
Evanescence - 332 / 12 Songs = 27.67
The Bitter Truth - 304 / 11 Songs = 27.64
Lost Whispers - 205 / 11 Songs = 18.64

Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

CMWYS, and most of the Open Door, not only holds up well but gets better by the year. I can never call the album better than Fallen but I feel like the true Evanescencers appreciate it extra hard to make up for most of the music world leaving it behind. Even the ones you have ranked low are jams. The Bitter Truth is already starting to feel like that too, but obviously it is too early to call that.

My biggest surprise from your list was seeing 3 other songs from E3 ahead of What You Want. :P

I made a playlist of my absolute favorites (like 9/10 or better) and its at 27 right now. I'll try to narrow that down to 10 and post it at some point.

Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:21 pm
The Kramer

1. My Immortal
2. Going Under
3. Everybody's Fool
4. Lacrymosa
5. The Only One
6. Call Me When You're Sober
7. What You Want
8. All That I'm Living For
9. Broken Pieces Shine
10. Your Star
11. Sweet Sacrifice
12. Good Enough
13. Taking Over Me
14. Lose Control
15. Tourniquet
16. My Last Breath
17. Better Without You
18. Cloud Nine
19. My Heart Is Broken
20. Imaginary
21. Bring Me To Life
22. Feeding The Dark
23. Part of Me
24. Made Of Stone
25. Snow White Queen

OK, I gotta cut it off there. :funny:

Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:02 pm
Extraordinary

Fallen is so good. I barely listened to the follow up and do not know anything after that lol

Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:32 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Both you and Shack should give the other albums a try if you like Fallen (or some of the songs from it) so much!

Flava'd... I do like What You Want, especially the chorus, but I don't know... At the time it felt just "shy" of being amazing, and upon the re-listens this week, I still felt the same. It's easily a 9 for me though.

Speaking off... I'd say #1-9 are 10s; #10-28 are 9s; #29-44 are 8s; #45-58 are 7s; #59-60 are 6s.

So if you gave 25 songs a 9 or higher, we're not far off in that regard. Just far apart on some of the songs in the rankings. The Only One and ATILF being in your top 10 and relatively low on mine being the biggies. You have Bring Me to Life "low" (or just lower), have you listened to the Synthesis version? I find it better.

Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I love the opening drums on What You Want. Gets me so pumped. Was bummed they didn't play it live with Korn. Only songs from E3 were Made of Stone and End of the Dream.

I guess I did Bring Me To Life dirty a little bit. It should be about 5 spots higher at least. And yes, I've heard the Synth version. I think it was actually the one they played live. It's just so jarring to not hear the "wake me up!" rapping parts lol. It has been conditioned in my brain. Not saying its better or worse, just is what it is. But I will say that, at the show, hearing a bunch of dudes nearby fill in the male vocals made them look like a bunch of dorks. If she wanted us to hear that version of the song then the guitarist would just do the other parts or something.

Also, I totally forgot about Whisper ... but I also don't wanna boot off Snow White Queen ... so I'll just live with the list I made. That and Blind Belief and Haunted are the closest calls.

Evanescence haven't made all that many songs compared to many of my other favorites, but they sure did make it count when they did step into the studio. Hopefully we don't have to wait another ten years for the next one. :P

Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]