Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Symphonic Metal Thread - Return of the Festivals 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Symphonic Metal Thread - Return of the Festivals
Nightwish is probably popular enough to support I thread here, but just in case, this will serve as a general symphonic metal thread for acts like: Epica, Within Temptation, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Therion, Sonata Arctica, Haggard, Tarja, Rhapsody on Fire, and others.

I know RainyMoon is a fan, and I believe Gulli also enjoys a lot from the genre.

I'll begin by posting a video uploaded to Nightwish's official youtube page just today of a recent performance of 'Ghost Love Score' featuring Floor Jansen (ex-After Forever, ReVamp) in Buenos Aires :

Ever since Floor Jansen (dramatic soprano) joined Nightwish to finish their current World Tour back in October, I've been regularly searching for uploaded performances of this song (which they haven't performed ever since firing ex-singer Tarja in 2005) since Floor has the voice to actually sing it (and it being one of her personal favoring songs), but every video has either poor quality, poor sound, or both.

This official video uploaded by Nightwish, however, is incredible and it's amazing seeing and hearing the song performed again after 7 years. 9:10-10:34 used to be purely instrumental, but Floor has added her own flare to it which somehow improves upon the original masterpiece.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Last edited by Corpse on Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:26 pm
Profile WWW
Your Knife, My Back. My Gun, Your Head.

Post Re: General Symphonic Metal Thread
Nightwish is cool, and I like Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I'm more into the harder stuff in the genre though.

It's great to see another fan of metal here. :cool:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:52 pm
Deshi Basara

I'm addicted to Apocalyptica's Hall of the Mountain King at the moment. It's awesome to hear a Cello kick that much ass.

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:59 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I'm not a big Apocalyptica fan, but Hall of the Mountain King is quite good.

I stumbled upon a German symphonic metal band called Haggard late last year and they quickly grew to become one of my favorites. Below is one of their most popular pieces:

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:48 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Corpse knows me well. my default in the gym when i go on the threadmill

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:19 am
Deshi Basara

Am liking a lot of the Nightwish stuff I've heard. Love Tarja. Looking forward to much more from the genre. I was pleasantly surprised to find Dark Moor - big fan of their Swan Lake.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:54 pm
Killing With Kindness

I love most all metal, don't listen to it nearly enough, as my preferred genre in indi rock/indi pop.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Tarja's lead single from her upcoming album, "Colours in the Dark".

Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:53 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Nightwish has officially named Floor Jansen(!) as their new permanent vocalist!

The bands message:

"Ms. Floor Jansen is a keeper.

"Also, we will be a six-piece band from now on, as Mr. Troy Donockley (uilleann pipes, low whistles, vocals) will become a full-time member of NIGHTWISH.

"Originally we were going to wait until 2014 to make a decision about the future line-up of the band, but the past year has clearly shown us that Floor and Troy are perfect matching pieces to our puzzle, and we are really grateful of the bond that has grown between all of us. We love you guys.

"Tuomas, Marco, Jukka, Emppu"

Floor Jansen commented: "Words cannot describe what I feel! This union is beyond everything and I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to continue this amazing journey with my new brothers! Once I had a dream…and this is it!!!"

Troy Donockley added: "`Imaginaerum World Tour´was a revelation to me and in that time, I became aware of a growing unity and then, finally, a transcendence of all the usual nonsense that affects bands. A beautiful process. And since the idea, the musical dream that is Nightwish has been a part of me since before I was born, I am delighted to officially sail into uncharted waters with my brothers and sister. Wondrous scenes Ahoy! "

Here they are all together in a trailer for their upcoming DVD release

Showtime, Storytime (Wacken 2013) DVD Trailer:

Her rendition of 'Ghost Love Score' (0:38 - 1:18 in the trailer) is incredible.

Floor Jansen (ex-After Forever, ReVamp) has been my favorite vocalist (impeccable power, range, and control) for several years now, and Nightwish my favorite band, so the two uniting now is incredible news for me.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:57 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Yikes, she is quite amazing. a contribute to this thread. My favourite track from this genre according to last.fm.

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:33 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I like it. Keep posting songs, Gulli. :thumbsup:

'Storytime' from the upcoming Nightwish DVD:

Who needs a background choir (3:39-4:15) when you have a dramatic soprano now :P

Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Within Temptation's promotion single "Paradise" for their sixth studio album being released in early 2014. They teamed up with Tarja for the single.

Dutch symphonic rockers WITHIN TEMPTATION have just released the "Paradise (What About Us?)" EP and promotional video, featuring a unique collaboration with classically trained Finnish rock diva, former NIGHTWISH singer Tarja Turunen, guesting on the title track.

Comments WITHIN TEMPTATION frontwoman Sharon Den Adel: "When we had written the first version of 'Paradise' and listened back to the demo we'd recorded and the epic power of the song, we thought of Tarja instantly. How well this track would fit her classical voice and how extra special it would be if we sang it together. The more we thought about this wild idea, the more excited we got about it!"

Following several video trailers teasing the track, fans have been speculating on the band's Facebook page who the duet would be with, some guessing it couldn't possibly be a "competing" artist like Tarja. However, the two singers had no hesitation joining forces, having never thought of themselves as competitors. Sharon continues: "Of course I didn't know what to expect from Tarja, as we'd never actually met in person 'till June this year. Our first encounter was via a Skype call we'd set-up to discuss the collaboration and we immediately clicked, not only creatively but personally. After we'd spoken, it felt completely natural that we would do this together!"

Tarja adds: "It was very nice to finally meet Sharon and the WITHIN TEMPTATION guys. I truly appreciate the invitation and the opportunity to work with them on their song 'Paradise'. So wonderful that they thought of me! I hope our fans will like this 'girl power' duet!"

The song and accompanying music video share a central theme; that only constructive cooperation can lead to creation. To establish a new paradise, rising from the ashes of the old, we must work together.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/within ... VoD6kdS.99

And here is Tarja's second single, "500 Letters", from her new album 'Colours in the Dark'.

Many symphonic metal acts were very busy in 2013.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:00 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

The Nightwish CD/DVD featuring their show at Wacken Open Air 2013, and a 2-hour documentary, was released in Europe on Friday. Other countries will see the CD/DVD release throughout December.

The Imaginaerum World Tour started Jan. 19, 2012 and wrapped up on Aug. 11, 2013. They played 104 concerts in 34 different countries, and was seen by 1.5 million fans around the globe. The Wacken Open Air show was filmed using 17 cameras in front of 85,000 fans.

Below is the audio (videos haven't been uploaded yet) of 'Romanticide' taken from the CD. Nightwish hasn't performed this song live very much since it was released in 2004, but ever since Floor Jansen joined as a temporary replacement (later turned permanent replacement!), they've been performing it more often and it was included on the setlist for the Wacken Open Air show.

I link this particular track because from 4:35-4:38, Floor Jansen hits a sustained D6 note that has more resonance than any other that I've heard outside of Opera. A few of todays singers like Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, Demi Lovato, Kristin Chenoweth, Ariana Grande and maybe a couple others can hit/hold this note in head voice or falsetto, but they're not nearly as strong.

There's also this clip of 'Ghost Love Score' :wub2: taken from the DVD:

Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:15 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Christmas Metal Symphony (Kristiansand 2013)

Phantom of the Opera
There is no Phantom here (the audience fills in), unfortunately, so it's lacking that major part, but Floor knocks it out of the park. And hearing 3:17-4:04 without the Phantom's "Sing, My Angel! Sing, My Angel of Music!" is nice.

Alone (Heart)
She's performed this one live on a number of occasions (including a studio recorded version), but this is the best live-performance. Many covers change the arrangement or skip the G5 note at 1:55, though there's no need with Floor who covers this song better than anyone I've ever heard.

I Want Out

Silent Night

Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Low
0:10 B2: "Being Everyone" After Forever - Remagine (2005)
0:15 D3: "Song of Myself" Nightwish - Live in Melbourne (2013)
0:25 E3: "Who Wants to Live Forever (Queen)" After Forever - Emphasis EP (2002)
0:38 F3: "I Can Become" ReVamp - Wildcard (2013)
0:45 F3: "Sweet Curse" ReVamp - Live at MFVF (2010)
0:53 F#3: "Alone (Heart)" After Forever - B-side
1:06 F#3: "Taste the Day" After Forever - B-side
1:16 G3: "Wolf and Dog" ReVamp - Wildcard (2013)
1:56 G#3: "Infringe" ReVamp - Wildcard B-side (2013)
2:14 A3: "E=mc2" Ayreon - 01011001 (2008)
2:30 A3: "Digital Deceit" After Forever - Invisible Circles (2004)
2:34 A#3, B3: "Through Square Eyes" After Forever - Invisible Circles (2004)

Chest voice and mixed (Belting)
2:41 C5: "Equally Destructive" After Forever - After Forever (2007)
3:24 D5: "Empty Memories" After Forever - After Forever (2007)
3:34 D5: "Dreamflight" After Forever - After Forever (2007)
3:45 D5: "Neurasthenia" ReVamp - Wildcard (2013) with Devin Townsend
4:00 D#5: "Nothing" ReVamp - Wildcard (2013)
4:09 D#5: "The Limbic System" ReVamp - Wildcard (2013)
4:22 D#5: "Precibus" ReVamp - Wildcard (2013)
4:49 E5: "Amendatory" ReVamp - Wildcard (2013)
5:02 E5: "Distorted Lullabies" ReVamp - Wildcard (2013)
5:19 F5: "Empty Memories" After Forever - After Forever (2007)
5:25 F5: "Beautiful Emptiness" After Forever - Invisible Circles (2004)
5:41 F5: "Sweet Curse" ReVamp - ReVamp (2010) with Russell Allen
5:52 F5: "Cry With A Smile" After Forever - After Forever (2007)
6:24 F#5: "Drown the Demon" MaYaN - Quarterpast (2011)
6:35 F#5: "Neurasthenia" ReVamp - Wildcard (2013)
6:43 G5: "Alone (Heart)" After Forever - B-side
6:50 G#5: "Ghost Love Score" Nightwish - Live in Buenos Aires (2012)
7:01 G#5: "Ghost Love Score" Nightwish - Showtime, Storytime (2013)
7:10 D6: "Romanticide" Nightwish - Showtime, Storytime (2013)

Head voice and mixed
7:15 C5: "Live and Learn" After Forever - B-side
7:29 C5: "Empty Memories" After Forever - After Forever (2007)
7:43 D5: "Strong" After Forever - Remagine (2005)
8:15 D#5: "Reflections" After Forever - Invisible Circles (2004)
8:33 D#5: "Eccentric (Orchestral version)" After Forever - Mea Culpa (2006)
9:12 E5: "Energize Me" After Forever - After Forever (2007)
9:36 E5: "Forever" After Forever - Remagine (2005)
10:07 F5: "Taste the Day" After Forever - B-side
10:26 F5: "Attendance" After Forever - Remagine (2005)
10:40 F5: "Empty Memories" After Forever - After Forever (2007)
11:00 F#5: "Amendatory" ReVamp - Wildcard (2013)
11:29 G5: "Forever" After Forever - Remagine (2005)
11:42 G#5: "Leaden Legacy" After Forever - Prison of Desire (2000)
11:59 A5: "Infringe" ReVamp - Wildcard B-side (2013)
12:17 A5: "Monolith of Doubt" After Forever - Decipher (2001)
12:36 B5: "Follow in the Cry" After Forever - Prison of Desire (2000)
13:08 C6: "Leaden Legacy" After Forever - Prison of Desire (2000)
13:31 D6: "Emphasis" After Forever - Decipher (2001)
13:46 F6: "Romanticide" Nightwish - Live at Ilosaarirock (2013)

Classical
13:54 C4: "Stabat Mater Dolorosa" Epica - Retrospect (2013) with Simone Simons
14:15 C4: "Pandemic" Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction (2011)
14:42 E5: "Sins of Idealism" After Forever - Invisible Circles (2004)
15:00 F5: "Precibus" ReVamp - Wildcard (2013)
15:24 F5: "Imperfect Tenses" After Forever - Decipher (2001)
16:28 F#5: "Sins of Idealism" After Forever - Invisible Circles (2004)
16:52 G5: "Come" After Forever - Remagine (2005)
17:05 G5: "Reflections" After Forever - Invisible Circles (2004)
17:12 A5: "Age of Shadows" Ayreon - 01011001 (2008)
17:24 B5: "Dreamflight" After Forever - After Forever (2007)
18:11 B5: "My Pledge of Allegiance #1" Red Limo String Quartet - Live in Amstelveen (2009)
18:31 D6: "The Phantom of the Opera" Christmas Metal Symphony - Live in Tilburg (2008) with Russell Allen
18:57 D6: "Ride the Comet" Ayreon - 01011001 (2008)

Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:19 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Epica is coming out with their sixth studio album next month:

First Single: The Essence of Silence

Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Second Single: Unchain Utopia

Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:52 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: General Symphonic Metal Thread (New Epica)
Nightwish released the choir instrumental of 'Ghost Love Score' to celebrating the 10th anniversary release of their watershed album 'Once'.

Then again with the vocals...

Pre-End of an Era (with Tarja)

Post-End of an Era (With Floor)

Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:16 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: General Symphonic Metal Thread (Nightwish)
A lot of Nightwish updates on their upcoming 8th studio album to be released early next year have been revealed lately:

Quote:
More cherries on the pie! More magical arrangements played by fantastic talents or sang by the most amazing voices!!! On the first picture you the our Kaitsu with the percussionists and in picture two you see them in action. The third pictures shows us with the kids who's voices will give you the best goosebumps in the world And in picture 4 you see the adult version of goosebump voices, the Metro Voices. In the 5th and last picture you see a happy and proud Tuomas and Floor with solo violin and fiddle player Dermot Crehan.

Spoiler: show

And Richard Dawkins will be featured on the new album as well:

Quote:
" A FINE DAY IN OXFORD RECORDING PROFESSOR RICHARD DAWKINS FOR THE UPCOMING ALBUM "

And finally, if you're in Finland, The Netherlands, or the UK, lead singer Floor Jansen will be giving three Master Classes later this year:

Quote:
Hi singers out there!
I will give three masterclasses in Helsinki (Finland), Roermond (The Netherlands) and London (UK)! I am very happy with the amazing response thus far and hope to welcome you as well to one of these classes. All info can be found on: http://floorjansen.com/blog/masterclass ... -london-uk

Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:37 am
Profile WWW
Deshi Basara

Post Re: Symphonic Metal (Nightwish Update - Richard Dawkins & mo
Nightwish + Dawkins = I'm very sold.

Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:37 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Did you watch their Showtime, Storytime Wacken 2013 performance?

The DVD has been out for almost a year now, but it's also on YouTube in full:

The next album is going to be incredible, and they begin another world tour next year, too.

Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:23 pm
Profile WWW
Deshi Basara

That's cool - I need to catch up on Nightwish, but I've listened to quite a bit + almost everything that Tarja has done. I love her.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:35 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

You'd most likely enjoy the now disbanded After Forever. It's Floor Jansen's (Nightwish's new singer) first band, and she utilized a lot of operatic and head notes during that era. She still does once in awhile in her current band ReVamp and now with Nightwish, but more recent years she's been largely singing in chest voice or mixed head voice.

Here's the best live recording I've found for After Forever in concert:

A lot of After Forever concerts are poor video quality and there's sometimes microphone/speaker issues. Floor has an incredible voice that can reach 100 decibels (loud enough to sing over a full orchestra, and as loud as a train or jackhammer), and some of the sound equipment can't handle the sound. And as such, it's only best to see a vocalist like her live.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:12 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Check this out. :thumbsup:

Taken from the live versions with Tarja (End of an Era DVD - 2005)) and with Floor (Showtime, Storytime DVD 2013).

Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

New group photo!

And they've recently finished filming their first music video for the first single off their upcoming album (Spring release). The name of the single and album still haven't been announced, though.

Hopefully the first single is released by year's end.

Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next