Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 2022: Music In Review 
The Kramer

Post Re: 2022: Music In Review
47. Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers by Kendrick Lamar - A-

I liked this more than Damn. It doesn't have any huge hit singles on it, but I think top-to-bottom it's just stronger. Kendrick brings his usual sharp lyrics and smooth beats, and they are sharper and smoother than ever. There's a few skippable tracks in here which keeps it from a full A, but it's a huge double album and that is to be expected. Out of the 16 feature length songs, 13 are really good either by hitting hard as shit or delivering an important message. Savior does both of these things and is probably my favorite because of it. We're all guilty of celebrity worship sometimes and thus needed this dose of reality rap.

Fri May 20, 2022 12:46 pm
The Kramer

48. Everything Was Beautiful by Spiritualized* - C+

This is my first time hearing of this band even though they have albums dating all the back to 1992. That's the same time The Flaming Lips were breaking out, and this band most reminded me of them (though not as good) so it adds up. It's labeled as space rock, but would also feel comfortable around a campfire (a terrestrial one, don't blow up your spaceship kids.) The album itself is fine enough. I doubt I'll ever listen to it again but if they popped up at one of my festivals then maybe I'll check them out.

Wed May 25, 2022 12:01 pm
The Kramer

49. Headful of Sugar by Sunflower Bean* - C+

-This alternative act was pretty cool when the girl was singing, but I'll admit to groaning anytime the dude came in to take the mic. Luckily it didn't happen often enough to seriously affect the music ... but it was still too much. Who Put You Up To This is a great freakin song.

Thu May 26, 2022 1:36 pm
The Kramer

50. Rouge Carpet Disaster by Static Dress* - A-

This is a new band out of England and I'd describe their style as ... I dunno, post-hardcore mixed with pop-punk? Deftones mixed with Taking Back Sunday? Hard to explain without hearing it. I'd have the grade right on the border of A-/B+, but fuck it, they're new, they have a cool uniqueish sound and I'm gonna push them over for it. Sweet and Push Rope were my favorite songs.

Fri May 27, 2022 1:26 pm
The Kramer

51. Teaching A Robot To Love by Amelia Moore* - B-

-This is a very short record at only 16, but I guess it is more of a proof on concept than anything else. Meaning that is proves this girl can sing. Sing well in fact. I feel like I've heard all of these songs from people like Grande, so I'll be highly anticipating hearing what she does with more unique material.

Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:15 pm
The Kramer

52. Learning to be Happy by Kayleigh Goldsworthy* - B+

-This is some solid girl-pop-rock vibe, Beach Bunny adjace if you wanna call it that. Apparently she released a more folky album about 10 years ago then pivoted towards this way after a series of EPs and singles. I would have thought of her as younger, but I guess the lyrics are a little bit deeper than "my high school boyfriend broke up with me and I'll never love again now." A good find.

53. Mirrors In A Mausoleum by Noah* - D

-I usually don't give such low grades to new artists, mostly because I figure there's nothing stopping me from turning it off, and that finishing the album is a high praise in itself. However, for this rapper, I was just trying to find whatever song made me add it to my list in the first place. I must have done it by accident cause this was just boring from start to finish. Sorry Noah, you get the grade usually reserved for stuff like Justin Timberlake in the woods or Lorde on the beach.

I'm so backed up on my albums queue now. Still haven't even listened to Florance or The Smile (Thom Yorke + Johnny Greenwood ... but not Radiohead) and those have been out for a month! :funny: I mostly blame RiotFest as it had a lot of artists I was unfamiliar with and needed to check out. Also, since the Halsey concert last friday (which was incredible! best I've ever seen from a pop artist and on the level of Tool, Vampire Weekend, System of a Down, etc... as the best to do it) I have been semi-obsessed with her and have listened to all four albums at least twice in that span.

Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:42 pm
The Kramer

54. Dance Fever by Florence + the Machine - B

-Florence Welch is a great singer and her albums are consistently good. The second album is a little bit better than the rest and the third a little bit worse, but you can always count on getting some high quality tracks. Dance Fever, at 14 songs, stretches a little too long for me, but I might come around on the later songs on further listens. I think this is her first time working with Jack Antonoff, and you can definitely hear his influence right away on the first track King and even more on the second track Free. You hear him everywhere these days, but combining with Florence actually gives them both a fresh feeling.

55. A Light For Attracting Attention by The Smile - C+

-I love Radiohead, they're one of my all-time favorites (not top ten since I've never seen them live, but right outside of it.) The Bends is perhaps their best record too (though OK Computer has the more iconic songs on it.) So you'd think that having Thom Yorke and Johnny Greenwood work together on a more guitar-based project than they'd been doing recently would be a huge win for me ... but it just didn't click for whatever reason. It's not bad by any means, but even though I just listened to the album yesterday I can barely remember a thing about it. Maybe I was just in a mood or something and a second listen will unlock what I didn't get the first time ... but I don't really wanna listen to it again either haha. Sorry guys, but I'll still happily drop $100+ to see the full crew live.

Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:49 pm
The Kramer

56. C'mon You Know by Liam Gallagher - B-

-As usual, Liam falls a bit behind Noel and the birds, but provides some damn decent Oasis adjace tracks.

57. SZNS: Summer by Weezer - B-

-Weezer's ambitious four-album year continues to go well. There's nothing on here that's as good as "Little Bit of Love" from the spring album, but the 21 minutes flow by swiftly.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3