Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Where does 2023 Taylor Swift influence rank historically? 
Superfreak

Post Where does 2023 Taylor Swift influence rank historically?
Her tour, movie, and transition into NFL Star girlfriend has taken her from ULTRA influential ala prime Britney/Madonna to a sautés that seems to rival that of MJ in the 1980s or Elvis of the 1950s. Many analysts are already noting her likely influence in 2024 presidential election with boosting younger crowd and women towards Biden.

Swift, Beiber, Rihanna, Gaga, and Katy Perry all blew up around the same time 2007/2008ish. They're all still famous though she is pretty clearly #1. Bieber is still huge when he puts out new material, Gaga has remained steady and seems to periodically rise with new material and no doubt Joker 2 will reaffirm his status, and Rihanna are still way up there but Swift is another level. Where does she rank all time? In my view, I don't think I ave ever seen a 'celebrity' wield such pop culture influence. It's akin Obama 2008 or Kate Middleton around the royal wedding.

Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:11 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Where does 2023 Taylor Swift influence rank historically
She deserves it as an all time great pop songwriter and her unique appeal in this era of overtly romantic and real relationship feeling songs at the same time, but she already had had all that for the rest of her career before the 2023 blow up happened. I think the recent turn has a lot to do with social media, we’ve seen cult/mob like intensity in recent years on political side (ie MeToo cancellations, BLM riots, etc.), in addition younger generation has adopted “stanning” of not just being a fan but being a diehard soldier. When added together it may have created intense Swiftie stan energy like we’ve never seen. While there has always been artists that get more popular due to cultural trends, screaming stans at Backstreet Boys concerts, etc. I think the social media environment makes it just a little different and hard to compare.

Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:26 pm
The Kramer

I don't think Taylor could get her fans to attempt to overthrow the government as part of a grand hissy fit, so she's probably #2 among all celebrities right now. Imagine the Swifties storming billboard headquarters because Bad Bunny technically outsold her in the calendar year of 2022. :funny: :funny:

Among musicians I think she is #1 all time.

Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:37 pm
Superfreak

Eh she doesn't touch the Beatles of course. but as for solo single artists, she is definitely up there.

Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:07 pm
Extraordinary

Britney in the late 90s early 00s became something massive driving pop culture to a rabid pace and other musician trends. Swift is big but Britney's was all pre-social media. Hard to tell until 10-20 years from now as we're in the middle of it in 2023.

Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Why isn’t this in music forum

Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:53 pm
Devil's Advocate

O wrote:
Britney in the late 90s early 00s became something massive driving pop culture to a rabid pace and other musician trends. Swift is big but Britney's was all pre-social media. Hard to tell until 10-20 years from now as we're in the middle of it in 2023.

I felt like Britney was the Marilyn Monroe of her era, huge but in a different way

Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:57 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

She's clearly #1 this century and up there among the biggest ever.

The social media factor is something to consider of course, but there is usually something new that's allowed more people to experience music than the last generation too. The majority of households were getting TVs around the same time Elvis had his biggest years. And the vast majority had TVs when The Beatles came around a few years later. It's not a stretch to say that TV becoming mainstream was a key factor to the success of both here. Music became watchable.

TV reached 99% of households by the time Michael Jackson and Madonna were huge in the 80s, but you could say the new music-dedicated programming (like MTV) and music videos helped contribute to their success. Not as revolutionary as the TV in the 50s/60s of course, but it helped with exposure and to reach a younger audience. The cassette tape (which allowed people to record music from the TV or radio easily) also became big in the early-mid 80s, and so music became even more available for people. Music became mobile.

And then the internet had just become a proper phenomenon when acts like Britney Spears and Nsync blew up. People could just search for music now on the web and soon download and burn the music to CDs. And people could watch their music videos whenever they wanted, read the news about them, look up photos whenever they wanted (no longer limited to magazines), and more. Musicians became far more available for the public to obsess over. Music became digital.

So, I don't think social media gives Taylor Swift an unfair advantage exactly. There's been some new revolutionary way to watch or listen to music pop up around the time of all the past biggest musicians. As time goes on, music becomes more accessible, and musicians more interactable.

And one thing Taylor has over everyone mentioned here is that her popularity has pretty been prolonged well before her "peak" this year. She's had a decade of being at/near the top already, which is something none of the others were really able to achieve for various reasons.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I didn't think I could be surprised again with her sales but 1989 TV is her best selling opeming now with 1.6m+ units. Truly insane.

I think we're in a different era of music (in that there aren't really songs that everyone knows, music videos matter less, etc) but in terms of fandom Taylor is pretty much unstoppable now.

Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:03 pm
Cream of the Crop

I don't think I've ever heard a single song of hers, other than some random folk song in the ending credits of some random b-movie or Netflix movie a or two years ago. I can't name any of her popular songs off-hand and I know more songs by any other person/band mentioned in this thread; even by the ones I tried to avoid, like Justin Bieber. Maybe even by that creepy Irish marshmallow guy (not Gullimont), Ed Sheeran.

Not sure why, maybe it's more of an American thing, like Garth Brooks.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:30 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

In every era since the dawn of the 20th century there is an American superstar that captures the global public's imagination and they become a larger than life figure. She is that for today. So yes she is closer to Elvis than any of her pop star contemporaries. The numbers speak for themselves.

Last edited by Barrabás on Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:21 am

GuybrushX McMurphy wrote:
I don't think I've ever heard a single song of hers, other than some random folk song in the ending credits of some random b-movie or Netflix movie a or two years ago. I can't name any of her popular songs off-hand and I know more songs by any other person/band mentioned in this thread; even by the ones I tried to avoid, like Justin Bieber. Maybe even by that creepy Irish marshmallow guy (not Gullimont), Ed Sheeran.

Everyone in the English speaking world knows Shake It Off. C'mon now.

Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:26 am
now we know

GuybrushX McMurphy wrote:
I don't think I've ever heard a single song of hers

Agreed

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:00 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Have to agree 100% on Garth Brooks WTF.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:10 am
Extraordinary

Question, why did Taylor get this big in 2023? 2015 post Shake It Off feels more like when it should have happened then. Maybe its all the fans grew up and now had their own income to make Eras a big deal? She's had huge songs but Shake It Off still her biggest song on its own I'd say from a cultural, commercial, chart impacting perspective.

Any thoughts on why this all didn't happen in 2015?

Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Agree that the younger fans and dads merging with the older fans had something to do with it, but I’d say it was the buzz over the Eras tour, which had its own reasons for blowing up in the length, having multiple albums to do, Secret Song concept, etc.

Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:52 pm
Extraordinary

O wrote:
Question, why did Taylor get this big in 2023? 2015 post Shake It Off feels more like when it should have happened then. Maybe its all the fans grew up and now had their own income to make Eras a big deal? She's had huge songs but Shake It Off still her biggest song on its own I'd say from a cultural, commercial, chart impacting perspective.

Any thoughts on why this all didn't happen in 2015?

The rerecordings, 2020 (folklore/evermore) and the Eras tour caused the perfect storm of her becoming even more huge. Her catalog is super strong and a lot of people caught on the past few years.

Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:50 pm
On autopilot for the summer

A solid blip, I’d hardly say there was much influence though. Reminds me of maybe 8 mile and Eminem. To bring his music to that much mainstream is easily more impressive comparison wise, then an already top 5 artist of pop branching out and having a high profile relationship, which has backfired more (basically kelce has become a punchline on every talk of the chiefs)

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:16 am
Extraordinary

Well Taylor did it and got herself Time's person of the year!

I believe she's the first musician to ever get this recognition. It will be very hard for her to top 2023.

https://time.com/6342806/person-of-the- ... lor-swift/

I still think it will take a few decades to really understand where she aligns with Elvis or The Beatles but she's definitely now in the top 10.

Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

The cat scarf was a nice touch.

Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:27 pm
Extraordinary

Some of the lines here are quite telling. Don't mess with Taylor!

Quote:
"My response to anything that happens, good or bad, is to keep making things. Keep making art.” She considers. “But I’ve also learned there’s no point in actively trying to quote unquote defeat your enemies,” she says. “Trash takes itself out every single time.

Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Turning spite into art might be her greatest gift. Most artists, her greatest rival included, get comfortable and soft by year 15 of their careers. That spite not only provides the spark of creativity, but also the drive to keep producing content and not just settling down to enjoy her success. It's the reason she can remake her old albums without any backlash from her fanbase. It's not a corpro sellout move its a fuck you Scooter Braun move cause fuck that guy. She can thank Kelly Clarkson for the idea, but nobody else could have pulled it off so well.

Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:17 pm

She's still a loser for what she did to Olivia Rodrigo, forcing her to give up part of her publishing for her hit song by threatening her with lawyers over a bogus copyright claim. She is threatened by her, because she's just as talented a writer but she's a lot younger and even prettier than Taylor. It's very Evil Witch/Snow White, Cersei/Daenerys.

She is like a female Citizen Kane, going from PR fauxmance to PR fauxmance (anyone who believes the Travis Kelce thing... lol) from fake PR friendship circle to fake PR friendship circle, growing richer and richer and bigger and bigger and slowly losing her humanity as everyone around her just wants her so they can mooch off her supernova star power for their own benefit. I have no doubt we have decades of increasingly desperate antics, feuds, publicity stunts and eventual plastic surgery horrors in front of us. I don't buy the "aw shucks I'm just your pop star friend next door" act for one second. This girl likes money and attention above all else. She is addicted to it.

Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:34 am
Superfreak

Ok this is just crazy.

Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am
The Kramer

She got girls to like football lol.

Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next