Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next
 How worried about the Omicron variant are you? 

Not worried at all, let's move on with life 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
Kind of worried, I might wear my mask but others don't have to 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Pretty worried, we should force masks and social distancing 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Extremely worried, lockdown please! 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Unsure 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

Devil's Advocate

Post Re: How worried about the Delta variant are you?
July 29th 2020: 67,729 new cases, 1,461 new deaths.
July 29th 2021: 92,485 new cases, 398 new deaths

Quite a difference in terms of ratio

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:55 am

Shack wrote:
July 29th 2020: 67,729 new cases, 1,461 new deaths.
July 29th 2021: 92,485 new cases, 398 new deaths

Quite a difference in terms of ratio

Two things.

1. This year we have a working vaccine
2. You have to wait two weeks before you can understand the impact on death toll after a spike. If by next week these numbers hold, then I don’t think you’ll see much more than some mask mandates come into place

Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:25 am
The Kramer

Alex Y. wrote:
Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Yet I also just booked a trip to Vegas.

How "shameful" do you feel about being a potential superspreader by booking this trip? Since according to CDC:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white- ... s-n1275012

Quote:
CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said recent studies had shown that those vaccinated individuals who do become infected with Covid have just as much viral load as the unvaccinated, making it possible for them to spread the virus to others.
30-40 extra shame units. A measurement I invented just now.

I'd estimate having about 100 per day living in a state that voted for Trump twice by comparison.

If my music festivals get cancelled then I will unleash 5-6 thousand shame units per hour.

The anti-vaxxers can point to whatever they want, but the fact is they aren't getting them because they're scared. This pandemic is very frightening and pretending it doesn't exist makes it less frightening. There's nothing more to it. It's a willingful break from reality in exchange for the ability to make rational decisions. I'm imagining a scene from The Matrix, where Cypher is explaining to Agent Smith why he is betraying his comrades on the ship.

"You know, I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize? [takes a bite of steak] Ignorance is bliss."

Ignorance is bliss indeed.

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:32 pm
Devil's Advocate

I would imagine a lot of people aren't afraid of covid themselves and even some of the vaxxers took it more as their duty to help prevent the spread/save old or unhealthy people from dying, or because they want the vax numbers to go up so there's less restrictions. Therefore making them still wear masks and telling them they're superspreaders anyways is a bit of a betrayal and also disincentivizes getting the vaccine since it means the only reason you should get it is if you're actually afraid of getting sick.

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:47 pm
Superfreak

70% of adults have now received 1 shot or no. To any hold outs - you're now fucked either way. If the vaccine causes issues, society itself will no doubt collapse. If you don't get vaxxed, covid finna find you.

Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:08 pm
Top Poster

Excel wrote:
70% of adults have now received 1 shot or no. To any hold outs - you're now fucked either way. If the vaccine causes issues, society itself will no doubt collapse. If you don't get vaxxed, covid finna find you.

So far (besides those in voluntary trials), 0% of the people in China and India have been given Moderna or Pfizer/BioNTech. China still keeps on postponing approval of BioNTech, as there were previously articles saying approval expected in June then later in July. And India will not get Moderna doses until 2022 despite approval.

If US society were to collapse, it will help several other countries get stronger.

Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Everyone will get covid eventually however hopefully when I do it passes like a flu

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:39 pm
100% That Bitch

It will not. Trust me

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:54 pm
100% That Bitch

Shack, are you obese? Have an underlying condition like diabetes hypertension? Asthma? Or anything else?

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:54 pm
Devil's Advocate

Mau wrote:
It will not. Trust me

My impression is that for young people without comorbidities the overwhelming likelihood is you beat it in a few days. I have heard the main reason it feels scary is you lose sense of smell and taste a bit.

Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:14 pm
Hold the door!

Mau wrote:
It will not. Trust me

I mean it might not, but it very likely will be mild if Shack is young. Most of my friends who tested positive lost taste and smell or had a bad cold but that was it. Only one of my friends under 65 had to go to the hospital, and they did great once there.

Yes, many young healthy people have died of the virus, but the odds are a percent of a percent.

Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:22 pm
Devil's Advocate

Mau wrote:
Shack, are you obese? Have an underlying condition like diabetes hypertension? Asthma? Or anything else?

The only things wrong with me are from an emotional health perspective and my philosophy has never been to use medication, I'm not looking to interrupt the normal process, I even regretted trying sleeping pills as I wasn't expecting them to stay in your system for days

Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:28 pm
Top Poster

Shack wrote:
Mau wrote:

The only things wrong with me are from an emotional health perspective and my philosophy has never been to use medication, I'm not looking to interrupt the normal process, I even regretted trying sleeping pills as I wasn't expecting them to stay in your system for days

Strong inflammation from either Covid or Covid vaccines could cause depression symptoms, and inflammation in general plays a strong role hurting emotional health. It could be a good idea to obtain some anti-inflammatories such as ivermectin or Lianhua Qingwen to keep on hand, in case of either getting bad Covid or if there is future potential vaccine mandate to help alleviate vaccine inflammation short-term side effects.

Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

zwackerm wrote:
Mau wrote:
It will not. Trust me

I mean it might not, but it very likely will be mild if Shack is young.

She's 89.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Will you take a Covid vaccine?
My post from December is looking a hundred percent accurate so far:

Shack wrote:
It's just a mask
It's just a vaccine
It's just a few more months of lockdowns since the Trump supporters won't take it
It's just a card so you can prove you have the vaccine to get in places <----- WE ARE HERE
It's just a tracking device so we know who has the vaccine
It's just tracking poor behaviour like jaywalking or littering or rewarding people for shopping more at minority owned restaurants
It's just shutting down the most pollution heavy industries to get the climate change crisis under control
It's just a fine for driving too much and passing your pollution limit for the week

There is no point where they will stop until enough people turn on them for it that it scares them in terms of losing elections, which is probably what kept them from doing this earlier.

Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:19 pm
Veteran

It's to be taken seriously but I think the media is contributing to hysteria. The death numbers don't necessitate lockdowns or as much cause for concern as this time last year.

I agree with your slippery slope argument, Shack.

I was blind, but now I see.

Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:05 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

The saddest thing now, in my opinion, is that we (as a country) practically invited this current surge with open arms. In short, everyone was far too quick in trying to get back to normal ahead of summer. From the CDC, the Biden Administration, all the way down to the small local governments in rural America. All their messaging shifted far, far too much in the direction of putting the pandemic in the rear-view mirror.

All of us want this to end, or at the very least get down to a level where it has a more miniscule impact, such as not overloading hospitals, or being a cause of concern for someone with immunodeficiency if they touch the wrong thing or breath in the wrong direction getting groceries. I'm seeing a lot of people bringing up their "freedom" lately, but is that so-called "freedom" worth the price of a hospital not being able to accept any more patients (not just for COVID, but for anything) or the indirect death of someone vulnerable who got unlucky and became apart of that stupid 0.03% death rate or whatever it is? And many people do say yes to this question. It's individual "freedom" above all and anyone else, when all it takes are such minor inconveniences that are hardly infringing on one's freedom. There are countless requirements and codes and policies and laws in place in our daily lives that one could say infringes on one's freedom that are FAR more restrictive than a damn mask, social distancing, or whatever, but almost no one protests against them so abhorrently.

And everyone can continue to discuss the effectiveness of masks all they want, but far fewer people were (are) getting sick with people wearing them. I mentioned this before here, but my husband manages a pharmacy, and his higher-ups in a conference call near the beginning of the year were disappointed that company sales dropped so much in 2020, especially during flu season, blaming people who were acting health conscious by wearing masks and washing/sanitizing their hands way more often.

I got food poisoning last week from a restaurant last week (since reported). I was (really, really) sick for 3 days, and I have little doubt it was because the establishment relaxed their safety policies (no more masks, likely far less handwashing/sanitizing going on now, etc.). First time I've had any sickness whatsoever, not even a sniffle, since fall 2019. Sure, could have been an unfortunate case and the place was indeed still practicing stricter health policies, but it's a hell of a coincidence.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Did you get tested for Covid? For some cases the symptoms are similar to food poisoning.

https://elmoudjaweb.com/can-covid-19-fe ... ain-jaweb/

When setting up an test appointment, choose “Prefer not to answer” for “have you been vaccinated against COVID-19”. I think with this answer they will test you at a higher cycle threshold, so the test will be less likely to output false negatives, which puts those around you more at risk.

Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

All of my concert venues are requiring vaxxports (or negative tests) now. Hopefully Spirit, Frontier and Southwest will announce similar policies for their flights and then I'll be in the clear. :)

Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:25 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Alex Y. wrote:
Did you get tested for Covid? For some cases the symptoms are similar to food poisoning.

https://elmoudjaweb.com/can-covid-19-fe ... ain-jaweb/

When setting up an test appointment, choose “Prefer not to answer” for “have you been vaccinated against COVID-19”. I think with this answer they will test you at a higher cycle threshold, so the test will be less likely to output false negatives, which puts those around you more at risk.

I ended up going to the hospital on day 3 and tested negative for COVID, thankfully. It was "thankfully" food poisoning. Freaking nasty food poisoning though. I'll probably not return to the restaurant again.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Corpse wrote:
The saddest thing now, in my opinion, is that we (as a country) practically invited this current surge with open arms. In short, everyone was far too quick in trying to get back to normal ahead of summer. From the CDC, the Biden Administration, all the way down to the small local governments in rural America. All their messaging shifted far, far too much in the direction of putting the pandemic in the rear-view mirror.

All of us want this to end, or at the very least get down to a level where it has a more miniscule impact, such as not overloading hospitals, or being a cause of concern for someone with immunodeficiency if they touch the wrong thing or breath in the wrong direction getting groceries. I'm seeing a lot of people bringing up their "freedom" lately, but is that so-called "freedom" worth the price of a hospital not being able to accept any more patients (not just for COVID, but for anything) or the indirect death of someone vulnerable who got unlucky and became apart of that stupid 0.03% death rate or whatever it is? And many people do say yes to this question. It's individual "freedom" above all and anyone else, when all it takes are such minor inconveniences that are hardly infringing on one's freedom. There are countless requirements and codes and policies and laws in place in our daily lives that one could say infringes on one's freedom that are FAR more restrictive than a damn mask, social distancing, or whatever, but almost no one protests against them so abhorrently.

And everyone can continue to discuss the effectiveness of masks all they want, but far fewer people were (are) getting sick with people wearing them. I mentioned this before here, but my husband manages a pharmacy, and his higher-ups in a conference call near the beginning of the year were disappointed that company sales dropped so much in 2020, especially during flu season, blaming people who were acting health conscious by wearing masks and washing/sanitizing their hands way more often.

I got food poisoning last week from a restaurant last week (since reported). I was (really, really) sick for 3 days, and I have little doubt it was because the establishment relaxed their safety policies (no more masks, likely far less handwashing/sanitizing going on now, etc.). First time I've had any sickness whatsoever, not even a sniffle, since fall 2019. Sure, could have been an unfortunate case and the place was indeed still practicing stricter health policies, but it's a hell of a coincidence.

Don't you get it, Corpse? Covid is never going to "end", or even "get down to a level where it has a more miniscule effect on our every day lives". Hospitals are only close to overwhelmed in largely unvaccinated areas, the vaccine is incredibly effective at preventing severe illness, hospitalization and death from COVID. We are at a point where people have the chance to protect themselves from this virus almost perfectly, or to not and then suffer the consequences of that choice that they make as an adult with the ability to make their own decisions.

I would agree that there are circumstances where freedom comes with responsibility, but it is not my responsibility to muzzle myself to protect an unvaccinated fool from dying of a disease that they can avoid by getting the shot. You argue that a mask is a minor inconvenience, but forgive me for not wanting to live in a world where I am forced to wear one everywhere for the rest of my life. You're right that they do lessen transmission of viruses, but to cut the bullshit I do not give a rats ass if Steve at Wegmans gets the sniffles for a few days because he was living in a world where we can read each others facial expressions, breath easily and deeply, not always have a sweaty face and not live in a world where we view other humans mainly as vessels of disease and communicate via a mask that we view them as a threat to our health.

I always wore my mask indoors before the vaccine was widely available. But it is unreasonable for the 25% of the country that would rather never get sick again that ever go back to 2019 levels of normalcy to continue to dictate the personal lives of the other 75%. Outside of major cities in America, even in the surrounding suburbs, almost NO ONE wears masks. We are over it. We have moved on. We are not afraid, and the minority's fear is not our responsibility or concern.

I find it incredibly naive that you think that the reason we cannot go back to normal is because we do "not follow the rules well enough" like good little sheep when following the rules has always led to more and more rules. The pnly way we will ever "go back to normal" is by telling the tyrants that want to keep us masked, isolated and locked down forever "NO!"

Philadelphia reinstated its mask mandate yesterday. When I visited Reading Terminal Market, I was pleasantly surprised to see many still not wearing masks and no one bothering to enforce the rule. That is the only way these rules will ever go away, is if we stop turning around, bending over and let the government whack us with more arbitrary mandates.

Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:10 am
Devil's Advocate

I can live with the masks for the adults, I mean I don't think they work, but it's not the end of the world, I'm more bothered by the vaccine mandates/passports situation which is completely crossing the line as far as I'm concerned. The push for masking kids in schools seems like insanity though considering <flu risk rate for them and that it should be obvious that it has psychological development implications.

Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:34 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

zwackerm had that post typed looooong time back he was just waiting for someone to bring the topic of masks.......I hope you had good ejaculation after that :thumbsup:

Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:43 am
Hold the door!

Shack wrote:
I can live with the masks for the adults, I mean I don't think they work, but it's not the end of the world, I'm more bothered by the vaccine mandates/passports situation which is completely crossing the line as far as I'm concerned. The push for masking kids in schools seems like insanity though considering <flu risk rate for them and that it should be obvious that it has psychological development implications.

I mean, I can LIVE with masks but thats a depressing world I don't WANT to live in. I'd vastly prefer a vaccine mandate since thats less arbitrary and actually really protects people from the virus.

Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:05 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

zwackerm wrote:
I mean, I can LIVE with masks but thats a depressing world I don't WANT to live in. I'd vastly prefer a vaccine mandate since thats less arbitrary and actually really protects people from the virus.

zwackerm's suicide note is here someone please inform authorities!

Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next