Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 How worried about the Omicron variant are you? 

Not worried at all, let's move on with life 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
Kind of worried, I might wear my mask but others don't have to 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Pretty worried, we should force masks and social distancing 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Extremely worried, lockdown please! 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Unsure 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Will you take a Covid vaccine?

The WHO has basically admitted the testing is flawed.

Quote:
Users of RT-PCR reagents should read the IFU carefully to determine if manual adjustment of the PCR positivity threshold is necessary to account for any background noise which may lead to a specimen with a high cycle threshold (Ct) value result being interpreted as a positive result. The design principle of RT-PCR means that for patients with high levels of circulating virus (viral load), relatively few cycles will be needed to detect virus and so the Ct value will be low. Conversely, when specimens return a high Ct value, it means that many cycles were required to detect virus. In some circumstances, the distinction between background noise and actual presence of the target virus is difficult to ascertain. Thus, the IFU will state how to interpret specimens at or near the limit for PCR positivity. In some cases, the IFU will state that the cut-off should be manually adjusted to ensure that specimens with high Ct values are not incorrectly assigned SARS-CoV-2 detected due to background noise.

The whole thing is based on a PCR test that was never designed for this purpose.

Quote:
Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) is a method widely used to rapidly make millions to billions of copies of a specific DNA sample, allowing scientists to take a very small sample of DNA and amplify it to a large enough amount to study in detail. PCR was invented in 1983 by the American biochemist Kary Mullis at Cetus Corporation. It is fundamental to much of genetic testing including analysis of ancient samples of DNA and identification of infectious agents. Using PCR, copies of very small amounts of DNA sequences are exponentially amplified in a series of cycles of temperature changes. PCR is now a common and often indispensable technique used in medical laboratory research for a broad variety of applications including biomedical research and criminal forensics.[1][2]

Covid is a real disease, yes. But the world got played by their governments who have decided they should have control over society not the people anymore. The people elect populists like Trump and don't care about the environment so they believe they can no longer be trusted. They took advantage of a problem the world has had to adjust to which is social media bullies. The US is just going to have to show the way in terms of freedom and save the rest of the world, again.

Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:19 am
The Kramer

I've come around and will deal with any side effects if it means I can go to Vegas without feeling like an asshole.

Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:37 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I got the Moderna vaccine today out of pure luck (first dose, of course).

My husband is a pharmacy technician, and their pharmacy was vaccinating their staff today after receiving a shipment last week. (Odd considering I live in the middle of nowhere, almost an hour from the nearest interstate, and this pharmacy is a local one with few locations.). However, one of their ten employees who was going to get it couldn't make it in today so I was asked if I would want to fill in since they had already punctured the vial earlier in the morning (it's only good for 6 hours after punctured). Each vials comes as 10 doses, so they didn't want to waste the tenth dose.

But this also only happened because the Government website they report to was having issues (surprise, surprise, right?), and the paperwork wasn't being sent correctly, so the employee who couldn't make it in today hadn't already filled it out. This paperwork needs filled out before you can receive the vaccine, so the Government might wanna get that website working properly so pharmacies and hospitals don't prematurely begin the thaw process and puncture the vial(s) before sending that information in...

Injection site is sore, obviously, but nothing beyond just slight dizziness for a short period afterward.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:03 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Great to hear that you got it. Will you be receiving the second dose as well because it seems the first one was pure luck.

Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:59 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Great to hear that you got it. Will you be receiving the second dose as well because it seems the first one was pure luck.

Yeah. No date is determined yet since it has to be a day and during a 6-hour timeframe where everyone that got it today needs to be available, but it'll sometime during the last week of January as the Moderna second dose is a 28-day (or four week) wait. They're making full use of each vial (10 doses), so can't do five people one day and five people the next since, once punctured, they can't be restored and must be disposed of after 6-hours if unused.

You get a vaccination card for your records, but beyond that purpose, I don't believe it's going to be used for anything else (for the time being, at least).

And the lady that couldn't make it in today rescheduled with another location that hasn't begun yet.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:48 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Have you thought about what activities you plan to do after your second dose, that was sacrificed in 2020?

Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I live in a very small community (pop. 2,000), so there aren't many activities to partake in. And I'm still working from home for the foreseeable future, so besides grocery store runs and some infrequent in-person shopping (trying to do my part in supporting the local businesses in my town, which have either closed or are struggling), I don't go out and do much else besides some walks/runs once in awhile.

I do visit my parents a couple times a month, the only other people besides my husband (who also got the vaccine) that I spend time around right now. I'll feel a little safer visiting them now (or soon), but I'm not going to change how often I do for now, and will continue to wear a mask around them and everything else still. People often talk about how the virus probably wouldn't kill or affect them much, etc., but often forget about other people, such as family members, who may not fair as well. My father has some health issues, so I'm not going to carelessly see him without taking safety measures (which included getting the vaccine), and the same goes for others I encounter in stores and such as well.

And on the more personal side of things: I'm pretty confident I'd be fine if I would get COVID, but I want to take steps to not get it. Who wants to get ill? And even if I'd have a 99.9% chance of surviving, I still wouldn't want to fall potentially ill, nor take that 0.1% chance of dying from it, if getting the vaccine either prevents it or helps eliminate the severity of the symptoms.

Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:25 am
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Thanks for the detailed reply, Not sure if you’re already do this pre-vaccine in your area, but I’d imagine post-vaccine there’ll be a sense of catharsis even in doing something as typical as dining out again at a favorite indoor restaurant, without the worry of possibly contracting Covid-19 while eating. The simple little things that can help us feel closer back to normalcy.

Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:33 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Corpse wrote:
I live in a very small community (pop. 2,000), so there aren't many activities to partake in. And I'm still working from home for the foreseeable future, so besides grocery store runs and some infrequent in-person shopping (trying to do my part in supporting the local businesses in my town, which have either closed or are struggling), I don't go out and do much else besides some walks/runs once in awhile.

I do visit my parents a couple times a month, the only other people besides my husband (who also got the vaccine) that I spend time around right now. I'll feel a little safer visiting them now (or soon), but I'm not going to change how often I do for now, and will continue to wear a mask around them and everything else still. People often talk about how the virus probably wouldn't kill or affect them much, etc., but often forget about other people, such as family members, who may not fair as well. My father has some health issues, so I'm not going to carelessly see him without taking safety measures (which included getting the vaccine), and the same goes for others I encounter in stores and such as well.

And on the more personal side of things: I'm pretty confident I'd be fine if I would get COVID, but I want to take steps to not get it. Who wants to get ill? And even if I'd have a 99.9% chance of surviving, I still wouldn't want to fall potentially ill, nor take that 0.1% chance of dying from it, if getting the vaccine either prevents it or helps eliminate the severity of the symptoms.

I find it interesting so many people see no one except visit their immunocompromised parents during the pandemic that mainly affects them. I’d think people would prioritize seeing other young people so the risk is lower.

Also, do you plan to take any precautions to keep yourself from getting other diseases than COVID? So many people who are taking so many Covid precautions took no precautions before.

Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:58 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Alex Y. wrote:
Thanks for the detailed reply, Not sure if you’re already do this pre-vaccine in your area, but I’d imagine post-vaccine there’ll be a sense of catharsis even in doing something as typical as dining out again at a favorite indoor restaurant, without the worry of possibly contracting Covid-19 while eating. The simple little things that can help us feel closer back to normalcy.

This is true. They'll even be some relief from not just dining in somewhere, but even going through a drive-thru/curbside as well, and just doing basic things like grocery shopping. And if/when I return to a job in-person, there'll be a sense of comfort when coming in close-contact with others. And I certainly feel a lot better about my husband's health now since he deals with a lot of people each day as a pharmacy tech.

zwackerm wrote:
I find it interesting so many people see no one except visit their immunocompromised parents during the pandemic that mainly affects them. I’d think people would prioritize seeing other young people so the risk is lower.

Also, do you plan to take any precautions to keep yourself from getting other diseases than COVID? So many people who are taking so many Covid precautions took no precautions before.

I think this comes down to people, myself included, trying to spend what time as they can, safely, with loved ones who could end up either seriously ill or even dead if they did get COVID. The left can be a bit over-critical of those doing this. And I'm not dismissing the risks, and it is counterproductive, obviously, and I won't deny feeling some regret once in a while. I weighted the risks of this months ago and concluded that infrequent visits with safety measures (mask-wearing, sitting across the room, leaving the door open) was more important to me (and us) than the chance, albeit it small, that the next visit could be in a cemetery.

After getting the second dose, I'll feel better about it in the hopes that it also prevents spreading it (hoping for good data on this in the coming weeks/months). Especially so once the vaccine becomes more widely available for my parents (and others) to receive it if they choose to.

And I'll probably continue to practice a lot of these measures, such as the frequent hand-washing, mask-wearing in crowded areas, and sanitizing my hands after doing simple things like getting gas or going in and out of stores with door handles, etc.. I rarely get sick, but before this year, I'd usually have a few days in both the spring and fall of getting a cold and such, but since taking these pretty simple steps, I haven't been sick one day in nearly a year now.

Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:47 am
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Regarding the visiting of parents:
https://www.reddit.com/r/LockdownSkepti ... he/ghu1jza

According to above, senior citizens were 7x more likely to die without Covid than those that died with Covid last year.

Many old people already felt lonely even prior to lockdowns, and 2020 made them feel even lonelier. Sons and daughters who let their parents die alone last year due to social distancing/barred from visiting nursing homes may feel massive guilt, as without lockdowns they would’ve otherwise spent more time with them.

It makes sense that for an old person, who evaluated that their chance of dying without Covid is so much higher than dying with Covid, that they would want their last days alive to be able to have the freedom to live how they want and be together with their loved ones rather than staying socially distant.

Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Reddit is such a legitimate source of truth.

Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:44 pm
Top Poster

I think he likely got the numbers from CDC here:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covi ... /index.htm

Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Interesting alliance

Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:17 pm
Hold the door!

I do wonder what vaccination looks like from here. It is going at an absolute snails pace, at the current rate it would take 6 years to get everyone vaccinated.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:10 pm
Devil's Advocate

New York is trying to pass a bill that would give Cuomo the power to basically detain anyone they want if they're a disease carrier. Coronavirus not even specifically mentioned. How far does a public health emergency stretch? If they declare racism a public health emergency, can they detain people?

"Never again"? Well, never say never...

Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:35 pm
Top Poster

Shack wrote:

Interesting alliance

Bumping this in light of today.

Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ccine.html

Don’t know what to make of this. Particularly if someone I know in the high-risk age group has preexisting issues with blood not being able to clot properly, does this make the Pfizer vaccine extra risky for that person to take?

Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:04 am
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

Already took it

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:43 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

My second dose is scheduled for the 27th.

Interestingly, my state (WV) is 100% on vaccinations distributed and injected right now, and leads the U.S. in people vaccinated per 100,000 residents. They've prioritized local pharmacies versus big chain ones, which has made a lot of the difference. And every nursing home in the state has already been vaccinated, as well.

Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I should be hearing in a week or 2 about when I can get vaccinated in February!

Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:41 pm
100% That Bitch

So yeah only minor pain in the arm but nothing crazy yet lmao

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:11 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

I would like to see what long-term effects are like in a lot of people before considering it. Right now, I have very little risk of anything bad happening to me if I catch COVID and I do not interact with anyone except my boyfriend without wearing a mask, so I have very little risk of spreading something asymptomatically either.

As far as "enforcing" vaccinations, they can't legally force you to take a vaccine. What they can do is make it difficult or practically impossible for you to fly on a commercial airplane, visit other countries through any means, work in certain jobs, enter certain buildings, etc. without proof of having one. Just how no one can force you to open a bank account or take out a credit card, or even get a passport...but you're shut out of modern life without those things. Same way you're shut out of the job market for any major corporation or organization without a college degree.

Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:57 pm
Cream of the Crop

It looks like it'll be another year or so before people under the age of 60 will even be able to get vaccinated here, and since I'm not only under 60, but also under 50 and under 40, I likely won't have to rush to a decision any time soon.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Had my annual physical and the medical staff had gotten the vaccine. 75 and over are next (Group 1B) which means March/April for the rest of us. The Johnson and Johnson vaccine is reportedly a one shot drug and will ready by the Spring.

I hope the vaccine is effective for a long period of time. If billions get the vaccine by say, June 2021 and then have to get it again because the vaccine only works for six months....

I was blind, but now I see.

Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next