Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next
 How worried about the Omicron variant are you? 

Not worried at all, let's move on with life 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
Kind of worried, I might wear my mask but others don't have to 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Pretty worried, we should force masks and social distancing 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Extremely worried, lockdown please! 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Unsure 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Will you take a Covid vaccine?
Rev wrote:
I'm hoping to get Spider-Man's powers tomorrow morning.

You didn't have those already. Awww...

Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:55 am
Extraordinary

Rev wrote:
Took my first shot yesterday (Pfizer) at CVS. My 2nd shot will be on the 20th of April.
Feeling fine, no symptoms yet. I hear the symptoms mostly come after the 2nd shot.
Still wearing mask, sanitizing and keeping my distance as usual.

I felt pretty shitty after first dose Pfizer but not as bad 2nd dose. Yeah, different for everyone.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:02 am
Devil's Advocate

Vaccine passports are an obvious gateway to the government tracking people's every move and instituting a Chinese social credit type system.

Also if it's racist to require voter ID in elections cause lower income minorities are less likely to afford one... Wouldn't the same logic apply to requiring vaccines and phones to get into a restaurant or sports game? Seems like a great way to bring back segregation.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:56 am
Keeping it Light

There've already been vaccination passports in regulation since the 1940's, so I don't see why one for Covid is suddenly a big fuss.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:53 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Also aren't vaccines given to all eventually and people are not being chosen to give vaccines. How are governments trying to track or segregate people based on that? I understand this will be hard for people who do not want to take the vaccine but there will hardly any people left by this year-end who weren't vaccinated.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:52 am
Devil's Advocate

stuffp wrote:
There've already been vaccination passports in regulation since the 1940's, so I don't see why one for Covid is suddenly a big fuss.

For travelling to other countries maybe, but not ones such as an app on your phone that would allow you to get into restaurants or whatever

Quote:
Also aren't vaccines given to all eventually and people are not being chosen to give vaccines. How are governments trying to track or segregate people based on that? I understand this will be hard for people who do not want to take the vaccine but there will hardly any people left by this year-end who weren't vaccinated.

Don't think so, there are way too many people that either don't trust what the media tells them about covid or vaccine safety, or if the vaccine continues to cost money won't be able to afford it, or either are too scared of needles or too lazy to get a shot if they're think they're 99% immune as a healthy young to middle age person.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:19 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

There's always going to be the unfortunate uninformed (or misinformed) scared folk who distrust reality, but the U.S. is clearly heading for a high percentage of its population having received the vaccine. 70/75% looks doable by the end of Summer, so aiming for 85/90%+ for the year should be pretty reasonable.

Those avoiding the vaccine will mostly just be your regular ol' anti-vaxxers that already existed.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

7% of Americans are anti-vax in general (in 2015) but 30% currently don’t plan to take Covid vaccine. It is dishonest to say they’re the same group of people,

https://www.pewresearch.org/science/202 ... eady-have/

Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

30% may have no plans to do so, but many of them will. There is so much bullshit out there about it, that once many see their friends and neighbors getting it and feeling fine (real life account > nonsense shared on social media and online), many will decide to get it as well.

With the U.S. already on track for, again, about 3/4 of the nation being vaccinated by the end of Summer, at least 9/10 is quite likely at this pace before the end of the year, let alone in the year(s) to follow.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

You might get 90% of Democrat voters. When you add in Republican voters it's going to be quite a bit less.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:28 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Not politics, my dude. Regular people are tired of politics and are moving on, unlike most on social media. Some of the most conservatives states have been leading the vaccination process.

Even "just" getting to 75% in a year or less will be a pretty significant feat, and that's quite likely at this stage.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Corpse wrote:
Not politics, my dude. Regular people are tired of politics and are moving on, unlike most on social media. Some of the most conservatives states are leading the vaccination process.

It matters because the biggest difference between Democrats/Republicans is how much they hate the media. According to Gallup 58% of Republicans have no trust in the media at all and 31% not very much. Whereas 16% of Democrats trust it a great deal and 57% a fair amount. So essentially 89% of Republicans don't trust the media and 73% of Democrats trust it. https://news.gallup.com/poll/321116/ame ... media.aspx My assumption is this would have a major impact on how likely Republicans are to take the vaccine as much of the information effectiveness or safety wise is filtered through the media

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:42 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

If someone solely using the media in making their decision to whether or not to take the vaccine, sure, it'd have an impact. Most people aren't going to be doing this though because most aren't glued to the media, and if they are, they don't trust it like you said.

What they will trust is the opinions of family, friends and neighbors. And once they know from a first hand account of a loved one being perfectly fine from it, more will be convinced it's safe and decide to get it as well in order to get back to normalcy versus being exhausted and confused by politics and the media.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

And even if 80-90% of people got vaxxed, what I said about the slippery slope in regards to vax passports to get into restaurants or sports games is still true. How far is the line between people being effectively banned from places if they're one of the 10% who hasn't taken the vax yet or now shamed as "anti-vaxxer", and people being banned from places because they were discovered to have made an anti-BLM or anti-climate change tweet online? With the way corporate america is currently universally behind cancel culture, would be it be surprising if they started cancelling regular citizens from using their service? Or how far from "we should incentivize people to take the vax by not letting them in" or "we should incentivize them to support our political view by not letting them in". Essentially a social credit type system designed to turn conservatives into leftists by making their life harder when you're the former. Once the "passport" technology is there it is an easy road forward in that regard.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:03 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Both Alex and Shack have to make everything political in the end. Take off your political hats and think straight for a moment what Corpse is saying. One has to wonder why those 10% would "refuse" to take vaccine when 90% of country/world already has it and are doing fine. What if a restaurant decides not to serve you because they think you are dangerous? That is their right and it had nothing to do with politics. It's not government that is trying to hold you in the end but the fear of getting a disease that will run its course.

In the end with 85-90% of population getting the vaccine, COVID fear will go away from general population and more places/people will welcome people with our without vaccine but as far as travel restrictions go I'm sure governments will be cautious to disallow tourists without a vaccine in their system.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:38 pm
Top Poster

Agree with Shack's points, though framing it as Republicans vs Democrats doesnt paint the whole picture of those who don't plan to get the vaccine. Trump had been pushing for people to get the vaccines and a lot of Republicans will follow Trump's advice.

17% of Democrats don't plan to get the Covid vaccine, and 39% of Blacks don't either from earlier link. And I think a lot of people who don't plan to get it are apolitical (many probably don't pay attention to media).

Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Jack Sparrow wrote:
What if a restaurant decides not to serve you because they think you are dangerous? That is their right and it had nothing to do with politics.

Then it should have also been their right to open to full capacity this whole time if they wanted to.

In regards to everything being political, I would love it if things weren’t as political but clearly I see this as a much more dangerous time period than others do in terms of our normal way of life (currently hijacked) being in danger of not coming back. It appears what makes pre 2020 America and the other first world democracies such better countries than China is being increasingly lost by people who value things like security and equity more than freedom.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:27 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

No! It's not their "right" to open their restaurants in full capacity when there is a pandemic and government mandates a country/state/town/city wide lockdown. But once they open even 5% its within their rights to decide whom to serve.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:31 pm
Hold the door!

Jack Sparrow wrote:
No! It's not their "right" to open their restaurants in full capacity when there is a pandemic and government mandates a country/state/town/city wide lockdown. But once they open even 5% its within their rights to decide whom to serve.

Of course it’s their right lol. If you’re concerned you don’t have to go to the restaurant. That’s how freedom works.

But it seems America is the last remotely free country on the planet.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:34 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Your first and second sentence makes no sense in that order.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:39 pm
Top Poster

Btw, it’s unfortunate the amount of racist comments against NBA players like LeBron James calling him “uneducated”, just for keeping their Covid-19 vaccinations private rather than publicly revealing their position.

Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

I had my first Pfizer shot yesterday. No side effects. Smooth process here on the US east coast. Second shot is sometime late April.

I was blind, but now I see.

Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:41 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

lilmac wrote:
I had my first Pfizer shot yesterday. No side effects. Smooth process here on the US east coast. Second shot is sometime late April.

Cool :thumbsup:

Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:04 am
Hold the door!

I get my first Pfizer shot Monday. Woot woot

Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:10 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

zwackerm wrote:
I get my first Pfizer shot Monday. Woot woot

You didn't get it before? I thought you got your first shot a month back.

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next