Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 What are you reading right now? (2022) 
Star Trek XI

Post Re: What are you reading right now? (2022)
Almost halfway done with Sally Rooney’s Conversations with Friends and finding it interesting. Her writing style is polarizing to say the least and having read Normal People as well (excited to watch the show!) I’d say I’m right between love and hate with it.

Mon May 02, 2022 11:43 pm
Star Trek XI

movies35 wrote:
Happy reading, everyone!! I've been SO behind on my reading because we are opening up our own bookstore. But I'm in the middle of reading Carrie Soto Was Here, Taylor Jenkins Reed's new book and it's great!

So jealous!!! That’s awesome! And Evelyn Hugo is one of my favorite books, so jealous you got an ARC! I need to read Malibu Rising soon though tbh it is polarizing, I hope you liked it

Mon May 02, 2022 11:44 pm
The Kramer

6. Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre by Max Brooks - 8.7

-This one starts a little slow, with a bunch of cityfolk who wish to move out into the wilderness ... except they don't leave any of the comforts of technology behind, preferring to have their cake and eat it too. Is this really the long-awaited followup to the brilliant World War Z? Yes, yes it is. Even though the story is told in a different way, it eventually all comes back around to examining how people who appear to be the same react differently to extreme situations. The ones that are unable to leave their old lives behind ... well they don't fare so well when the mythical wood apes come barging into their paradise. The ones who adapt, and realize that the only way to survive this invasion is to become more like the invaders ... Well that is where the book gets very interesting. It never quite hits the levels of WWZ, which is probably my favorite non-franchise book ever, but damn this turned into a great read.

Wed May 04, 2022 3:35 pm
The Kramer

Not sure why (maybe they want me to re-up on my Prime ... little do they know I'm just waiting for The Boys season 3), but amazon has been sending me special offers on my wishlist books about once a week or so lately. Was able to get Children of Dune, The Way of Kings and Foundation (which I started as my next book, sorry again to City of Mirrors) for about $13 total. All digital of course, but I've been mostly reading that way since the pandemic began so no big deal there.

Sun May 08, 2022 6:29 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Good deal. I'll add some books of interest to my wishlist to see if any deals pop up down the road. (Digital Way of Kings will save you a lot of shelf space!)

Sometimes I see some books (or items in general) I've searched for and/or are on my wishlist that are on their B2G1 sales. But I don't see these sales advertised anywhere on the site and only notice them when I see it listed in an item description as part of a search or on the item page itself. And from there I can click on the sale page and search all items apart of it.

Do you (or anyone) ever come across thse B2G1 sales?

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon May 09, 2022 12:54 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I do remember a Buy one get one 50% sale at some point last year on physical books. That's when I got Sapiens (great book!) and City of Mirrors (I'll read it one day!)

Though now that I think about it, the B2G1 sales are probably going at the same time as the video games, movies, board games, etc... Mixing and matching with movies might be fun. Games are way more expensive so might be hard to find anything to pair with books except for Rabbids.

Mon May 09, 2022 1:59 pm
Homo Dperious

World of KJ apparently.

Tue May 10, 2022 4:30 pm
Profile ICQ
Forum General

MadGez wrote:
movies35 wrote:
Happy reading, everyone!! I've been SO behind on my reading because we are opening up our own bookstore. But I'm in the middle of reading Carrie Soto Was Here, Taylor Jenkins Reed's new book and it's great!

Opening your own bookstore - fantastic! Hope it does well. Please share more if you ever feel like it.

Have always loved bookstores having frequented second hand book stores since I was about 11 (in search of old Mad magazines at the time). Browsing a good bookstore is still one of life's great pleasures.

It is a lot, that is for sure! We are currently at the very end of construction and will be opening (hopefully) June 10th. We are also going to have a pretty incredible cafe but oof.. we are so tired!

If anyone wants to follow us on Instagram/Facebook our handle is ParthenonBooksSyr - we regularly have book giveaways too! :)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri May 20, 2022 2:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
The Kramer

7. Foundation by Isaac Asimov - 7.5/10

-This book is very mechanically written, it jumps around too much and then just ends suddenly.

Yet ... I still totally get it. The world building is top notch scifi, and the way he shows how different ideologies win conflicts as time goes on still hits right on point. Salvor Hardin's section was my favorite and I definitely felt a rush anytime one of his grand plans came together. I think it would have been better if he had been the star of the whole book, and they saved Mallow for the sequel .. but again, I get what Asimove was going for.

I'ma wait till I get back from Vegas before starting the next book. Maybe it will finally be The City of Mirrors!

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 26, 2022 1:48 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: What are you reading right now?
Spoiler: show
01. Queen of Air and Darkness (The Dark Artifices, Book 3) by Cassandra Clare *A-*
02. The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 1) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read] *A+*
03. The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 2) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read]
*A+*
04. Fire & Blood by George R.R. Martin *B+*
05. The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 1) by John Flanagan *B+*
06. The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 2) by John Flanagan *B+*
07. The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 3) by John Flanagan *B*
08. Oakleaf Bearers (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 4) by John Flanagan *B+*
09. The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles, Book 1) by Rick Riordan *B+*
10. The Throne of Fire (The Kane Chronicles, Book 2) by Rick Riordan *B+*
11. The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 5) by John Flanagan *B*
12. The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, Book 1) by Brandon Sanderson *A*
13. The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 6) by John Flanagan *B*
14. The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Elder Curses Trilogy, Book 1) by Cassandra Clare & Wesley Chu *A-*
15. American Gods, Volume 1: Shadows by Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell, Scott Hampton (Ill.), Walt Simonson (Ill.) *A*
16. The Serpent's Shadow (The Kane Chronicles, Book 3) by Rick Riordan *B+*
17. A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle, Book 1) by Ursula K. Le Guin [re-read] *A*
18. Carry On (Simon Snow, Book 1) by Rainbow Rowell *A+*
19. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens *A-*

01. Carry On (Simon Snow, Book 1) by Rainbow Rowell [re-read] *A+*
02. Wayward Son (Simon Snow, Book 2) by Rainbow Rowell *A*
03. Blood of Elves (The Witcher, Book 1) by Andrzej Sapkowski *A-*
04. The Time of Contempt (The Witcher, Book 2) by Andrzei Sapkowski *A-*
05. Baptism of Fire (The Witcher, Book 3) by Andrzei Sapkowski *A-*
06. The Last Wish (The Witcher, Book 0.5) by Andrzej Sapkowski *B+*
07. American Gods, Volume 2: My Ainsel by Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell, Rick Parket, Scott Hampton (Ill.) *A*
08. The Tombs of Atuan (The Earthsea Cycle, Book 2) by Ursula K. Le Guiu [re-read] *A-*
09. Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, Book 1) by Sarah J. Mass *A-*
10. Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, Book 2) by Sarah J. Mass *A-*
11. Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, Book 3) by Sarah J. Mass *B+*
12. Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, Book 4) by Sarah J. Mass *B+*
13. The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 1) by Rick Riordan *A-*
14. The Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 2) by Rick Riordan *B+*
15. The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 3) by Rick Riordan *B+*
16. Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, Book 5) by Sarah J. Mass *B*
17. The Lost Book of White (The Eldest Curses, Book 2) by Cassandra Clare & Wesley Chu *A-*

01. Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, Book 6) by Sarah J. Mass *B*
02. Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, Book 7) by Sarah J. Mass *B+*
03. They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera *A*
04. Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle Series, Book 1) by Adam Silvera *B-*
05. Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, Book 1) by Cassandra Clare *A-*
06. The Iliad by Homer [re-read] *A-*
07. The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller [re-read] *A+*
08. Wayward Son (Simon Snow, Book 2) by Rainbow Rowell [re-read] *A*
09. Chain of Iron (The Last Hours, Book 2) by Cassandra Clare *A-*
10. Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, Book 1) by Cassandra Clare [re-read] *B+*
11. Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, Book 2) by Cassandra Clare [re-read] *A-*
12. Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, Book 3) by Cassandra Clare [re-read]
*A*
13. Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas *B+*
14. Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, Book 1) by Leigh Bardugo *B+*
15. Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, Book 2) by Leigh Bardugo *B*
16. Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, Book 3) by Leigh Bardugo *B+*
17. Any Way the Wind Blows (Simon Snow, Book 3) by Rainbow Rowell *A+*
18. Any Way the Wind Blows (Simon Snow, Book 3) by Rainbow Rowell [re-read] *A+*
19. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell *A-*
20. What If It's Us? by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera *A-*
21. More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera and Angie Thomas *B-*
22. Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman *A*
23. Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuinston *A-*
24. Bloodleaf (The Bloodleaf Trilogy, Book 1) by Crystal Smith *C+*
25. The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 1) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read] *A+*
26. The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 2) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read]
*A+*
27. The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read] *A*
28. Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, Book 2) by Brandon Sanderson *A+*

01. Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, Book 3) by Brandon Sanderson *A*
02. Circe by Madeline Miller *A-*
03. They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera [re-read] *A*
04. Simon vs. the Homo Sapians Agenda by Becky Albertalli *B*
05. Dumbledore: The Life and Lies of Hogwarts's Renowned Headmaster: An Unofficial Exploration by Irvin Khaytman *B+*
06. The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, Book 1) by Rick Riordan *B+*
07. The Son of Neptune (The Heroes of Olympus, Book 2) by Rick Riordan *A-*
08. The Mark of Athena (The Heroes Of Olympus, Book 3) by Rick Riordan *A-*
09. The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, Book 4) by Rick Riordan *A-*
10. The Blood of Olympus (The Heroes of Olympus, Book 5) by Rick Riordan *A-*
11. Ghosts of the Shadow Market by Cassandra Clare, Sarah Rees Brennan, Maureen Johnson, Kelly Link, Robin Wasserman *A-*
12. The Cruel Prince by Holly Black (The Folk of the Air, Book 1) *B*

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:46 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

movies35 wrote:
MadGez wrote:
movies35 wrote:

Opening your own bookstore - fantastic! Hope it does well. Please share more if you ever feel like it.

Have always loved bookstores having frequented second hand book stores since I was about 11 (in search of old Mad magazines at the time). Browsing a good bookstore is still one of life's great pleasures.

It is a lot, that is for sure! We are currently at the very end of construction and will be opening (hopefully) June 10th. We are also going to have a pretty incredible cafe but oof.. we are so tired!

If anyone wants to follow us on Instagram/Facebook our handle is ParthenonBooksSyr - we regularly have book giveaways too! :)

Congrats! Will check it out!

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:46 am
The Kramer

8. The City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin - 9.9/10

-Incredible book to cap off an incredible trilogy. I don't know if its my favorite of the series, but I feel like the pacing is definitely the best. I liked how, rather than start in the past like the first two, he checks in with all the characters first and then dives back in time before the real story kicks in. Leads to some of the best escalation of tension that I've ever read, all paying off with some spectacular battle scenes.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:59 pm
Indiana Jones IV

1. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, Susanna Clarke
2. The Rise and Fall of Dodo, Stephenson and Galland
3. A Tale for the Time Being, Ruth Ozeki
4. Devolution, Max Brooks
5. Prodigal Summer, Barbara Kingsolver
6. D: A Tale of Two Worlds, Michel Faber
7. The Arrest, Jonathan Lethem
8. The Every, Dave Eggers
9. Nothing to See Here, Kevin Wilson
10. The Midnight Library, Matt Haig
11. Utopia Avenue, David Mitchell
12. House in the Cerulean Sea, TJ Klune
13. New York 2140, Kim Stanley Robinson
14. Migrations, Charlotte McConaghy
15. Circe, Madeline Miller
16. My Abandonment, Peter Rock
17. Dreams & Shadows, C. Robert Cargill
18. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, Benjamin Alire Sáenz

Bolded titles are books I absolutely Loved. The rest range from pretty good to great. (I won’t finish a book I’m not enjoying).

I’m cruising through books this year relative to the last few years. Finishing my Masters last year has helped for sure.

Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:18 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I haven't been able to find House in the Cerulean Sea in stores. Guessing it's taken off on #BookTok. I could buy it online, of course, but I prefer buying in store. (And receiving damaged books in the mail has been common over the past couple years...)

I've been putting off Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe for a while now, but will begin it in the next week or two. And the sequel recently came out too!

I reread The Song of Achilles on the beach while on vacation, and it was definitely an experience.

Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

9. The Trench by Steve Alten - 6/10

-This is the sequel to Meg, aka The Meg, which I read like twenty years ago, though was refreshed by the mostly unfaithful movie adaptation (the core of the story is there, but the best parts are all missing. Like when the shark eats a helicopter.) The Trench is all about The Meg's daughter shark escaping captivity, triggering Jonas Taylor's (Jason Statham) ptsd and premonitions of death, while his wife (who is Japanese in the books, but played by Fan Bing Bing in the movie) is trapped in the Mariana Trench with a very eccentric and very evil billionaire (who is literally working with Osama Bin Laden) and a pack of hungry Cronosaurs (giant crocodiles who have developed the ability to breathe underwater.) This book goes on for way too long for what it is, and the character of Celeste makes the story pretty trashy by today's standards, but once we finally get to the big megafauna v megafauna action scenes it becomes a lot of fun.

Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:14 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

01. Queen of Air and Darkness (The Dark Artifices, Book 3) by Cassandra Clare *A-*
02. The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 1) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read] *A+*
03. The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 2) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read]
*A+*
11. The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 5) by John Flanagan *B*
14. The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Elder Curses Trilogy, Book 1) by Cassandra Clare & Wesley Chu *A-*
15. American Gods, Volume 1: Shadows by Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell, Scott Hampton (Ill.), Walt Simonson (Ill.) *A*
17. A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle, Book 1) by Ursula K. Le Guin [re-read] *A*

07. American Gods, Volume 2: My Ainsel by Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell, Rick Parket, Scott Hampton (Ill.) *A*
08. The Tombs of Atuan (The Earthsea Cycle, Book 2) by Ursula K. Le Guiu [re-read] *A-*
13. The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 1) by Rick Riordan *A-*
14. The Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 2) by Rick Riordan *B+*
15. The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 3) by Rick Riordan *B+*
17. The Lost Book of White (The Eldest Curses, Book 2) by Cassandra Clare & Wesley Chu *A-*

10. Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, Book 1) by Cassandra Clare [re-read] *B+*
11. Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, Book 2) by Cassandra Clare [re-read] *A-*
12. Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, Book 3) by Cassandra Clare [re-read]
*A*
18. Any Way the Wind Blows (Simon Snow, Book 3) by Rainbow Rowell [re-read] *A+*
25. The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 1) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read] *A+*
26. The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 2) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read]
*A+*
28. Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, Book 2) by Brandon Sanderson *A+*

05. Dumbledore: The Life and Lies of Hogwarts's Renowned Headmaster: An Unofficial Exploration by Irvin Khaytman *B+*
11. Ghosts of the Shadow Market by Cassandra Clare, Sarah Rees Brennan, Maureen Johnson, Kelly Link, Robin Wasserman *A-*
13. The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller [re-read] *A+*
14. The Wicked King by Holly Black (The Folk of the Air, Book 2) *B+*
15. Hooky (Book 1) by Miriam Bonastre Tur *A*
16. Coraline by Neil Gaiman [re-read] *A*

Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

10. Double Cross: The True Story of the D-Day Spies by Ben McIntyre - 7

-This nonfiction book centers on the spies of world war 2, specifically the ones who convinced the Germans that D-day was going to happen at a location that was not named Normandy. That alone is pretty interesting, but as he did with The Spy and The Traitor (which was a bit better), it mostly focuses on the quirky personalities of these spies. They are no James Bond, and in retrospect one has to wonder "how the heck did anyone believe what these people are saying?" But it must have worked, cause we are alive.

11. Death On The Nile by Agatha Christie - 5.5

-Kinda wish I had read this one earlier. Was too easy to figure out who the killer was based on the tropes Agatha used in the past. I do feel like this one tries to be overly romantic too, so the reader can have a happy ending beyond the killer being caught and going through a long winded explanation of how and why they did it (even though Poirot figured it all out long ago.)

Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:02 pm
The Kramer

12. The Kingdoms of Savannah by George Dawes Green - 6

-Hey it's a book that actually came out in 2022 instead of decades ago. This was an interesting thriller, with an interesting family leading the investigation of the mystery. I really liked the way it developed, though wasn't crazy about what it all lead to.

The "treasure of the kingdom" being its story had even me thinking 'what a bunch of woke bullshit.'

Though the writing style reminded me of King, so it's only appropriate to have its ending let me down.

13. 2061: Odyssey Three by Arthur C. Clarke - 5.6

-I couldn't really connect with this one like I did with the first two Space Odyssey's. It's no wonder that it never got a film adaptation. Feels more like an interlude than a full story. Though it did make me even more curious to see how it all ends up in Final Odyssey, so I guess it succeeded in that portion of it atleast.

Yay I surprassed my yearly goal of 12! Was disappointed in myself for falling short last year, though A Promised Land and It were basically the size of three normal books each. Maybe I'll take a crack at one of the other very long books on my list ... Or just reread Dark Materials to get hyped for the final season of the tv show.

Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:40 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

*A+*

*A*
*A+*

13. The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller [re-read] *A+*
14. The Wicked King by Holly Black (The Folk of the Air, Book 2) *B+*
15. Hooky (Book 1) by Miriam Bonastre Tur *A*
16. Coraline by Neil Gaiman [re-read] *A*
17. Hooky (Book 2) by Miriam Bonastre Tur *A*
18. So This Is Ever After by F.T. Lukens *A-*
19. Scattered Showers by Rainbow Rowell *A-*
20. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (MinaLima Edition) by J.K. Rowling *A*
21. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (MinaLima Edition) by J.K. Rowling *A*

Finally got new books (13!) for Xmas this year after asking and almost never receiving them, so 2023 should be a big reading year if time allows it.

Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Is there anything different about the minalima versions?

Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:34 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Is there anything different about the minalima versions?

As in new information? No. In that regard, the Hogwarts House Editions are the best (only, I think) choice there. Each House Edition offers several pages before/after the story about characters, relics, and a general history related to the specific House. And with 7 books, that's quite a lot of information since each one features info on different things. If you buy the Gryffindor House Editions, for example, you'll get a lot of information about all things related to that House in each book, much being new information from my understanding.

The MinaLima (graphics/prop studio for the movies) Editions are illustrated, paper-craft versions. The majority of pages have illustrations, and during major moments in the story, there's often a paper-craft interactive page(s). Like, in Sorcerer's Stone, you get to unfold, open and read Harry's acceptance letter and list of items he needs for his classes. And when he gets to Diagon Alley, there's a large pop-up you unfold to display practically the entire street.

I decided to go with the MinaLima Editions over the Jim Kay Illustrated Editions because the latter are quite bulky. In terms of "art", Jim Kay is the way to go (although he won't be illustrating the last two books due to his health, someone else will be taking over), but for a more "magical" re-read, I think MinaLima wins here. Also, the pages are sewn to the spine! Nearly all books have glued pages these days, it's simply a lot cheaper and faster, but glue will, eventually, weaken over time. Pretty sure the Jim Kay Editions are glued from a few reviews of some pages being loose.

If you're interested in the MinaLima Editions, I'd probably recommend buying them sooner rather than later. Since it involves making interactive pieces, even if just cardboard, it might more difficult to reprint them down the road. The first two books are currently out, and the third is announced for later this year.

Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Sounds interesting. I have been wanting to do a Potter re-read, but I also see that these books are about $30 each. Hard to justify ~$210 when I already have them all. :hahaha: But maybe...

Once I finish the re-read of Dark Materials (almost done with Subtle Knife), I wanna try something that's not sci-fi/fantasy before hopping in to either Children of Dune or The Way of Kings. Then maybe Potter re-read later in the year.

Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:16 pm
Wallflower

Over the past couple of days I've read The Absolutist by John Boyne. I had bought this a couple years ago but finally decided to actually read it. It's been a while since I've found a book that I didn't want to put down. I've had a couple of books I haven't finished and ones I've forced myself to. I was beginning to think maybe I just wasn't much of a reader anymore. But I found this one riveting and it's an instant favorite. I didn't want it to end. Now I desperately want it to be a movie. I think it could make a great one.

Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:38 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Sounds interesting. I have been wanting to do a Potter re-read, but I also see that these books are about $30 each. Hard to justify ~$210 when I already have them all. :hahaha: But maybe...

Once I finish the re-read of Dark Materials (almost done with Subtle Knife), I wanna try something that's not sci-fi/fantasy before hopping in to either Children of Dune or The Way of Kings. Then maybe Potter re-read later in the year.

You can get the paperback Hogwarts House Edition boxsets (your choice of house) for around ~$100 on Book Depository and occasionally Amazon (stock comes and goes). They have the added information in them (new info in every book). Hardcover set hovers around ~$170. But, many actually prefer the paperbacks of these sets because the covers are pretty high quality while the hardcover dustjackets are rather cheaply made.

As for MinaLima, if you want to do a re-read anytime soon, it'll be years before they've released all 7. Azkaban is currently being worked on and is planned for late this year.

Maybe the Jim Kay Illustrated Editions? They're up to book 5 with those, and you can get them for ~$20-30 each on Amazon. They're big/bulky though (unless you're jacked, you're likely reading them on your lap, especially book 4 on), but reading the story alongside illustrations gives re-reads added value.

If you want the cheapest means, and a new set, there's the basic anniversary sets (15th and 20th from Scholastic, and the Bloomsbury 20th - the best covers) with new covers that run between $45-80. But besides a map of Hogwarts in the Bloomsbury set, they're the exact same as the originals though, which I'm guessing you don't want since you have the originals.

Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

bump

Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:43 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next