Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Reilgion And Politics 
Forum General

Post Reilgion And Politics
There was a thread similar to this at...erm...You know where. Anywho, I think its a great topic that can lead to some very good discussions.

Carry on :wink:

Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:39 am
Forum General

Don't try and stay outta this one dolce...its calling your name :wink:

Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:00 am
Forum General

Personally I dont think its very fair to have religious/moral beliefs, influence politics. For example, Gay marriage, abortion...ect. Regardless of your view on this, it dose'nt seem to be fair that many things are illegal or "wrong" according to politicians because of their religious beliefs.

Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:21 am
Forum General

lovemerox wrote:
Don't try and stay outta this one dolce...its calling your name :wink:

:roll:

Well, honestly the history of this country has been structured around personal and religious freedom (depending on who you are, but that's a different story). Nor would I have it any other way. That being said, Church and State are two interconnected entities that rival eachother for ultimate authority. No more, no less. The doctrine of the two Ceasars never really was all that effective in practive. But, I do not think the governemnt should be able to put its foot in and say the church HAS so recognize marriage. "Marriage" please inform me if I am mistaken, is overseen by a religious official. I personally know many religious institutions, including many reform jewish synagogues and the Episcopalian church, that DO recognize it. It is THEN the governments' responcibilty to as well. The problem with marriage was that the government wasn't acknowledging it EVEN when the religious institution already had. Furthermore, it was not allowing for a state recognized alternative (read: civil union) when the religious institution wasn't. But I don't think the government has the right to go in and FORCE an institution to recognize it. That woud be like a government forcing religious people to break dietary restrictions and/or praying schedule. Its ridiculous.

The fact that the government hasn't recognized union *except Vermont* is indicative of the "Church's* hand behind a bit too far into the sphere of the *State's.* Its a two way street in which both were supposed to build up a wall, but all the "Moral" issues that fall under some sort of jurisdiction of the State right now feel awfully, how to put it bluntly, religious. I wouldn't say quite the same has happened in reverse.

The ideal should be to keep them totally seperate, but that's impossible since a lot of religions are exclusive in practice. Nor do I think the government shouldn't intercede if some religion is getting WAY too out of hand (and I DON'T mean cults), but that's a fine line to draw, so I'm willing to listen where someone might think it should be placed.

Its a slippery slope...

*damn you LMR*

The history of the issue is just that...history, I dont understand why we cannot focus on the future? Many people base their votes bc of religion, think that homosexuals shouldnt have civil unions bc of religion, gays or single people shouldnt be able to adopt because of religion, birth control is "bad" bc of religion(even though this is the most ignorant stance I have ever heard) When things like this are affected because of one's ...politicians, whoever, religious ideals is when it has gone to far.

Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]