Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Have you ever changed your mind on an issue? 
Extraordinary

Post Have you ever changed your mind on an issue?
Well, for fear of admitting something that will ruin my reputation, I won't say yet what I've changed my mind on until others join in. But the question is simple enough...

I'm not asking if you've ever jumped ship to the other...but if you have PLEASE feel free to discuss why. What I am asking is if someone has ever brought new information, or couched there arguements in ways you had never anticipated, and it made you change your mind about an issue.

Personally, this has happened to me three, but once was when I was 17 and at a youth and government conference. I barely remember it, and it was a time where I was pretty much uninformed about the subject to begin with.

The second time did not change my mind, it was about being pro-choice, but did change my entire discussion around it. Previously I had been very classist without realiving that my language around abortion actually reinforced incredibly infantile socia-economic class stereotypes. I used to say that "some people" can't provide for "their" babies, so abortion should be an option. Of course almost ever stat in the book would show that the women having abortions are actually from a higher socia-economic class, and are probably white. Anyways, I just became very sensetive to how I used to look at pro-choice in light of race and economy, and after I was informed of the above fact (this was in highschool) and my attention was drawn to my own prejudice, I realized that the discussion is about *women* and NOT *minority women.* Big difference.

And the third time was during the democratic primary season recently. I must say, sometimes someone just points things out in such a way that it shows light on the ambiguity of certain issues. Its very tough because regardless of how I feel, I also know I wil never vote on it because what I feel and how the concepts would be democratized are so different, that its useless anyways. But...I do think about this issue very differently than I used to.

Anyone else either change there mind on a political issue, or barring that, at least changed there entire discourse around it so that they understand said topin in a new light?

Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:53 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Well, I have always been against Abortion, but my mother is a doctor and is for abortion and has told me why she is. I understand where they come from, and I think that being pro choice is fine. I have never really ALMOST changed my mind, but I have thought about it.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy T

I've also changed my mind on abortion. A lot of this had to do with my own aunt's comments, and a lot of it had to do with the situations Kerry presented in that second debate. Kerry gave the example of a father who rapes her daughter; and, how, her father PROBABLY woudln't sign the form allowing the daughter to get an abortion. Kerry said (which I used in my signature) "It isn't as simple as the president wants you to believe it is". And, quite frankly, that's the truth.
I thought partial birth abortions were disgusting at a point, but, my aunt's words about different demographics and a female's reluctance and inability to often disclose a rape or such opened my eyes (yeah, a dumb cliche). So, now, I'm pro choice. In all circumstances. ;)

And the change could be partly attributed to the Pro Choice march in April. I was there.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:25 pm
Extraordinary

I've also changed my mind on abortion. A lot of this had to do with my own aunt's comments, and a lot of it had to do with the situations Kerry presented in that second debate. Kerry gave the example of a father who rapes her daughter; and, how, her father PROBABLY woudln't sign the form allowing the daughter to get an abortion. Kerry said (which I used in my signature) "It isn't as simple as the president wants you to believe it is". And, quite frankly, that's the truth.
I thought partial birth abortions were disgusting at a point, but, my aunt's words about different demographics and a female's reluctance and inability to often disclose a rape or such opened my eyes (yeah, a dumb cliche). So, now, I'm pro choice. In all circumstances. ;)

And the change could be partly attributed to the Pro Choice march in April. I was there.

Actually that's very true, and one of the big problems I have with arguemnts about "only in the case of rape and/or incest" is how humiliating it would have to be for a woman to bo before the court system and "prove" she'd been raped. Would you like to provide physical evidence of being raped to unknown court officials? Nope. Why do you think so few people came forward for so long during the Boston Church scandal. Its horrible and personal, not public. And wether you are pro or anti-choice one must see how ridiculous the concept of "proving" personal violation in the court system is...even if its just on a practical level.

Also, parental consent is more than incest. If a woman is so uncomfortable telling her parents she's preganant...than there's trouble in that family to begin with. The last place it should play out is in such a dramatic space as this.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:53 pm
Commander and Chef

Changes my opinion on abortion a million times.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Abortion, Death Penalty.

What do you mean? That because of the death penalty you've changed your opinion about Abortion?

bABA, remember when I was talking to you awhile back via pm? The third thing I sort of *changed* my mind on was supporting religious institutions as a form of community service and outreach.

*Eek. No one will ever look at LDV the same ever again*

Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:00 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I used to be against Stem Cell, but when I learned more about it, I think we should fund it more, and learn more about it.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy T

I don't really mind supporting religious institutions, as long as an equal and proportional amount is given to each institution (based on number of members, number of institutions with the same religious affiliation, etc). And as long as the institution has a clean background. Though, funding to find out whether an institution has a nice background would cost a lot...

Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:41 pm
Extraordinary

I don't really mind supporting religious institutions, as long as an equal and proportional amount is given to each institution (based on number of members, number of institutions with the same religious affiliation, etc). And as long as the institution has a clean background. Though, funding to find out whether an institution has a nice background would cost a lot...

Well, that's where I DO have an issue, and since I realize any political interaction/support that is refined to deny assistance to some could easily be turned around to deny to any other one. For that reason I mentioned my hesitation at ever voting to support religious outreach, because how the government would actually institutionalize it, and further more how the religious institutions that were benefactors would act upon it, is beyond my control. So a great policy could easily become the next "Faith Based Initiative."

This is still such a muddy issue for me from a lot of the past research.work I did for some new mixed housing developments in Chicago, and also some stuff from speeches during the primaries. I also have I friend I speak about with this often whose uncle is a Jesuit and has some different insight into this than my background. I have no idea, but because I really can't think of a plan that would work outside of a vacuum, I just say No. I used to say No out of some scpiel about religion Bad Bad Bad. Now I think about it very differently. Oddly, still minimally about faith itself, and more so about community infrastructure, but that's just me because I'm not particularly "faithful" in that sense of the word. Confusing...

Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:53 pm
Extraordinary

I used to be against Stem Cell, but when I learned more about it, I think we should fund it more, and learn more about it.

Why were you against it originally Amer?

Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:53 pm
Commander and Chef

arsibABA wrote:
Abortion, Death Penalty.

What do you mean? That because of the death penalty you've changed your opinion about Abortion?

bABA, remember when I was talking to you awhile back via pm? The third thing I sort of *changed* my mind on was supporting religious institutions as a form of community service and outreach.

*Eek. No one will ever look at LDV the same ever again*

Sorry. Let me rephrase:

Changed my opinion on Death Penalties Once and stuck to it
Changed my views on aborition a million times.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:18 pm
Profile WWW
I used to be for Nader. That's all I'm going to say.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:08 pm
Extraordinary

'Nuff said. :wink:
Actually, Nader had heavily libertarian moments which I assumed would sit well with you, so I'm not all that shocked.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:15 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Amer wrote:

Why were you against it originally Amer?

It was when I was younger and was not completely sure what it was. I thought it was in a way playing God, but i dont believe that anymore.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

I have changed my view on abortion a million times, and now I believe I have a firm stance on the issue.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:22 pm
Krem wrote:

'Nuff said. :wink:
Actually, Nader had heavily libertarian moments which I assumed would sit well with you, so I'm not all that shocked.

That was before I knew what a libertarian was.

I wasn't much into politics back then, so I was just rooting for the small guy. Besides, Radiohead kept bringing him up (they even held a sign on SNL saying "let Ralph Debate"), so that sealed the deal for me :)

Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:25 pm
Extraordinary

That was before I knew what a libertarian was.

I wasn't much into politics back then, so I was just rooting for the small guy. Besides, Radiohead kept bringing him up (they even held a sign on SNL saying "let Ralph Debate"), so that sealed the deal for me :)

He definately had his moments when he was pushing for consumer rights and brought health labels to packaged food into the public lime-light. He had some sesibilites that would appeal to you.

Oh yes, and Radiohead would've made a convert out of almost anyone I know a few years back. :wink:

Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:27 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I have changed my view on abortion a million times, and now I believe I have a firm stance on the issue.

And that would be?

Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]