Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 FAITH? What does it really mean? 
Speed Racer

Post FAITH? What does it really mean?
God, Allah, or wutever you believe in. Define faith.

Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
rustiphica

What is faith... Good question. I like to think of it as believing there is someone out there looking after you. Taking care of you and who loves you. That's what I think it happends to be.

Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:21 pm
Speed Racer

What is faith... Good question. I like to think of it as believing there is someone out there looking after you. Taking care of you and who loves you. That's what I think it happends to be.

I have a friend that thinks my friend (who is Muslim) will go to hell but i think that if he has faith in sumthin that he will go to a heaven wutever he believes in.

Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:24 pm
Profile WWW
rustiphica

rusty wrote:

I have a friend that thinks my friend (who is Muslim) will go to hell but i think that if he has faith in sumthin that he will go to a heaven wutever he believes in.

I like to think that if you live a peaceful life it doesn't really matter what religion you are as long as you helped people in the end. Heaven is an open door for the good.

Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:25 pm
George A. Romero

Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:25 pm
Speed Racer

billybobjoelll wrote:
rusty wrote:

I like to think that if you live a peaceful life it doesn't really matter what religion you are as long as you helped people in the end. Heaven is an open door for the good.

Exactly! :!:

Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:00 am
Profile WWW
Iron Man

I heard an interesting explanation once, although I couldn't possibly know if it were true or not. A lot of people face the question of why a loving god would send good people to hell, and the idea is that if someone who has never heard of religious beliefs follows their conscience then they will go to heaven anyways, whereas those who reject beliefs and live their own lives their own way will not.
Anyways, faith by definition is belief without fact. At least that's what non-religious people say. A more detailed definition of faith is belief when you have no reason to, such as when you're having a really bad day or whatever, and is not based on what we see but what we know is there.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:43 am
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

Faith in recent years (especially in the United States) has come to mean "religion". The problem comes when people mix up "absolute truth" with "faith", which to me, is rather amusing.

Faith is the belief and adherance to a dogma... well anything, in face of, despite or in substitution of overriding evidence of the opposite.

It doesn't mean "truth", it doesn't mean "knowledge", if God appeared before me today, right now, in my room, it would take me no faith or a leap of knowledge to believe in his existance.

This is where science really differs from religion. Science in itself is constantly in flux. Based on hypothesis and theories, science should continually evolve, prove and disprove itself. There should be no faith in science.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:51 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]