Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Book You Just Read 
Extraordinary

1. In the Wake of the Plague
2. Joan of Arc
3. Seven Myths of the Spanish Conquest

Yes...it is an interesting life I lead. :roll:

BTW, I was actually really surprised when Rowling started actually killing off good guys. This series quickly crossed over to adult fiction literture after that.
I read a Globe article once that said Harry Potter has forced many languages to update, in that at least I know in Hebrew, there was really only "witch" and "wizard" and there weren't all these different nouns that descibe the phantasms...apparently countries were really scrambling to creat new words for the translated texts to be released.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:11 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I just finished THe OUtsiders for my English Class.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hot Fuss

Three right now:
1. In the Wake of the Plague
2. Joan of Arc
3. Seven Myths of the Spanish Conquest

Yes...it is an interesting life I lead. :roll:

BTW, I was actually really surprised when Rowling started actually killing off good guys. This series quickly crossed over to adult fiction literture after that.
I read a Globe article once that said Harry Potter has forced many languages to update, in that at least I know in Hebrew, there was really only "witch" and "wizard" and there weren't all these different nouns that descibe the phantasms...apparently countries were really scrambling to creat new words for the translated texts to be released.

Poor dolce, get out even more! I know your the hippest hipster here though. You know far to much for your own good. :lol: And I thought I was cultured because I went out on a limb and ate Thai. :cry: Hehe

Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hot Fuss

That was my favorite book in 7th grade.

Right now I am reading Don Quixote. I love it. I was supposed to read it two years ago, but I never did. Its easy, fun reading. Everyone could use a good satire on chivalry, eh?

In continuing with my chivalry/knight phase i'm in, I read Morte D'Aruthur today too. Has anyone read it? It's a fun little Homeric poem type of story.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Quote:
*IMPERIOUSLY BACKHANDS COASTERMAN2002 INTO THE WORLD OF KJ WALL*

O snap!

He used blue for you!

I have no idea what that means, but I know it means something :? :shock:

KJ

YES!!! finally i get something i deserve...maybe hes having some rough times and tears = blue and so maybe hes crying

Liberalism is a Mental Disorder - BUY THE BOOK NOW!!! On New York Times Best Seller List 9 Weeks in a Row

Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:09 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Amer wrote:

Right now I am reading Don Quixote. I love it. I was supposed to read it two years ago, but I never did. Its easy, fun reading. Everyone could use a good satire on chivalry, eh?

In continuing with my chivalry/knight phase i'm in, I read Morte D'Aruthur today too. Has anyone read it? It's a fun little Homeric poem type of story.

i just read that last year and it was alright nothing great and by the way the movie sucked ass

Liberalism is a Mental Disorder - BUY THE BOOK NOW!!! On New York Times Best Seller List 9 Weeks in a Row

Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:09 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

I just finished House of Sand and Fog and I'm currently reading Angels and Demons.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:11 pm
Profile YIM
All Star Poster

OHh angels and deamons! Very good read. Da Vinci Code is just as good :D

Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

That's interesting. I never got into Da Vinci Code...I put it down about 200 pages in because the mechanics of the writing and narrative structure were so annoying.

Why did you guys like it so much?

Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:17 pm
Indiana Jones IV

zach wrote:
Amer wrote:

i just read that last year and it was alright nothing great and by the way the movie sucked ass

I actually like it alot. Its a very good book. The movie was horrid though.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hot Fuss

neostorm wrote:

That's interesting. I never got into Da Vinci Code...I put it down about 200 pages in because the mechanics of the writing and narrative structure were so annoying.

I thought it was average. I wasn't impressed and wowed, atleast not like everyone else. I'm not sure if I will read that other book by him, Angles and Demons you say? Nahh...

Also, on sort of an embarissing note, I am reading How to Talk to a Liberal if You Must by Ann Coulter. God that woman scares me. :lol: Don't worry, I'm not that obsessed! It was a gift from a super-conservative neighbor of mine. You can't turn down a new free book! And I must say, its unfair, cliched, but very funny. I bet you guys would like it.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hot Fuss

Coasterman2002 wrote:
zach wrote:
Amer wrote:

Whew... thought you were talking about a DaVinci Code movie, lol! I watched the movie once. It was ok. It failed to really show the characters as real and interesting. It was too rushed and boring. The book is good because of the characters. Without them, its a B tween flick, regardless of the huge cast.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Amer wrote:
Coasterman2002 wrote:
zach wrote:
Amer wrote:

Whew... thought you were talking about a DaVinci Code movie, lol! I watched the movie once. It was ok. It failed to really show the characters as real and interesting. It was too rushed and boring. The book is good because of the characters. Without them, its a B tween flick, regardless of the huge cast.

The movie skipped to much, and didnt emphasize on main poiints alot.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
loyalfromlondon

Just finished "Blood and Chocolate" by Annette Curtis Klause. Great werewolf story, only thing I didn't like was the ending. I'd probably give it an A- or a B+.

I have to start reading "Wuthering Heights" now for English. Not looking forward to it...

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:24 pm
Hot Fuss

The movie skipped to much, and didnt emphasize on main poiints alot.

Yup. It was left with nothing. Just some boring story with crappy acting. Also, did you read the spin off called That Was Then, This is Now? Its not as good, but its a worthy book if you have the time. Ponyboy is in it, and he is a bit older.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
All Star Poster

neostorm wrote:

I liked it a lot b/c of the ideas and theory behind his writing. Also it was really interesting b/c i'm love learning about architecture :)

Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Just finished "Blood and Chocolate" by Annette Curtis Klause. Great werewolf story, only thing I didn't like was the ending. I'd probably give it an A- or a B+.

I have to start reading "Wuthering Heights" now for English. Not looking forward to it...

Ugh. Poor soul. I try hard to like it. Everyone says it grows on you. I suggest sparknotes.com for that baby :lol:

Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW
life begins now

I haven't read Davinci Code yet. Isn't Angels and Demons a prequel to it?

Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:45 pm
Profile YIM
All Star Poster

Yes it's a prequel, but you can read both of them on their own. Da vinci code does not refer to angels and deamons at all except for the occasional line saying that the main character got in trouble with the Vatican.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I want to read Angels and Demon but there is no time.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

The Bondwoman's Narrative
By: Hannah Crafts

Up Next:

Communist Manifesto
By: Mostly Karl Marx

Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:49 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I like it, but the rest of my class hates it.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:55 pm
Cream of the Crop

Eagle wrote:
Quote:
*IMPERIOUSLY BACKHANDS COASTERMAN2002 INTO THE WORLD OF KJ WALL*

O snap!

He used blue for you!

I have no idea what that means, but I know it means something :? :shock:

KJ

YES!!! finally i get something i deserve...maybe hes having some rough times and tears = blue and so maybe hes crying

BLUE DENOTES JOHNSON ACTIONS NOT JOHNSONSPEAK

Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:54 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2