Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Royal Family Drama 
Superfreak

Post Royal Family Drama
Usually not one for gossip but have to say that I am finding Prince Harry's seemingly endless stupidity some what hilarious but also concerning. Far from a royal expert but the sheer amount of private, personal moments he has revealed about family members that he claims he wants back in his life is absurd.

How could any self respecting person possibly welcome him back in England? Does he have some weird form of PTSD, or is his trauma that deeply rooted that he is oblivious to the repercussions of his actions? This is pretty pathetic to see and tbh I am struggling to think of anything comparable, its basically a professionally presented epic meltdown.

Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:53 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Royal Family Drama
He has issues and is a simp like Will Smith

Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 am
Extraordinary

It's going to be really hard to recover the relationships from all this once it's out in the public. I'd have more sympathy if all book profits were going to good causes but feels like Harry doesn't fully understand how much privilege he has and that there's a lot more suffering in the world that people need to be paying attention to. He had the world's sympathy for the last 25 years post Diana but there's a fine line that he seems to be crossing that I don't think serves him well long term from a reputational perspective.

Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:08 am
Profile WWW
now we know

He's a moron that is controlled by a poisonous, spiteful bitch. All this talk of them loving each other is rubbish. Once the tabloids stop biting, they'll probably disband. Call me old fashioned but I didn't realise to love someone meant you tear them away from and then turn you against your family. Harry is a fuck up now, and he deserves his reputation. Trying to play the victim 'spare and heir' card when you've literally been born into extreme wealth isn't going to work with the majority of watchers. He will be trying to dine out on these stories for decades, because let's face it he doesn't exactly have a talent to keep the money rolling in.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:25 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

yeah they both clearly some sort of personality disorder. MM mocking Kate Middleton's "baby brain" is not a good look.

Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:06 am

Don’t we already have a thread about this?

Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:42 pm
Superman: The Movie

For two people who claim they want privacy they really like giving interviews and making documentaries about themselves.

Just shut the fuck up.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:19 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Got several emails that his book was out today...

Look... I'm sure he had a "rough" childhood, and his family weren't (aren't) exactly friendly and whatnot. But writing a book about it is just icky and has turned into a source of money-making for him. And some of the leaked revelations I saw, like Camilla turning his room into whatever it was (already forgot) after he moved is just really whiny.

It's similar to all the memoirs and "What I Saw Inside The White House Was Shocking" books that come from people after they leave. Bring up the problems and talk about them THEN (if you must, if it's actually of substance), not in a book and interviews months/years later. Yes, obviously doing so is a huge source of revenue for them and ratings gold for news networks and such, but it shows little, if any, actual care of said issues. It's hard to take them seriously.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

It feels like they need money. Megan’s memoir is coming next.

Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:42 pm
Superfreak

Right now, Prince Harry ranks among Ben Affleck of 04, Britney/Paris/Lohan of 2007, LeBron of 2010, Trump of 2021 when they're just beyond overexposed and everyone wants a break from even thinking about them.

Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:41 pm
Extraordinary

Apparently its the fastest selling non-fiction book ever on record so seems like we'll keep seeing more on this.

Short term gain but overexposure won't help in the long term or with his family.

Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:25 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I had a theory that when the Don't Worry Darling story took off on social media, that celebrity drama stories might becoming more popular again. I think in recent years politics was supplying most of them but things are probably cooling off in that department. It feels like this story snowballed really fast now leading to how you could feel it coming that this book would do insane sales. I wonder if it could lead to the return of A list movie stars if some drama happens and people get really interested in the personal lives of actors like Holland/Zendaya or something.

Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:13 am
Extraordinary

At the rate things are going just watch Harry show up on the actual The Crown. A special "Harry commentary" edition. :funny:

Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:23 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Algren wrote:
He's a moron that is controlled by a poisonous, spiteful bitch.

It boils down to this.

Very embarrassing.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:30 am
Extraordinary

Harry's book sold as many copies (1.4M) in its first 24 hours as Obama's book did in its first week.

From a data perspective, its already a blockbuster hit and the publisher says its the biggest non-fiction book launch of all time. Michelle's book was well received and grew to 15M. I don't think Harry's will have that level of long term durability but we can't deny that he's going to make ALOT from this as will Netflix and the publisher.

Penguin (world's largest publisher) said the only book to have sold faster in one day has been the Harry Potter series.

We might not like how overexposed he's getting but this is a massive, massive, massive unprecedented and record breaking blockbuster of a book.

Expect lots of other royals to have tell alls. Kate, Will, Camilla, Charles, and of course Megan can probably make lots of $ though won't be very classy.

Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:38 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Figured you'd enjoy this, O. :thumbsup:

If Spare gets over 2 million in its first week, which its first day suggests it could (though not 100% guaranteed since there was likely a rush, could be like ~1.8 million or something), it'll be the only non-Harry Potter book to achieve this in history.

Fastest Selling Non-Fiction Books (US/CA):

1.03 million (24hrs) / ?.? million (1st week) - Spare (Prince Harry)
950,000 (24hrs) / 1.35 million (1st week) - Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man (Mary Trump)
887,000 (24hrs) / 1.7 million (1st week) - A Promised Land (Barack Obama)
750,000 (24hrs) / 1.15 million (1st week) - Fear (Bob Woodward)
725,000 (24hrs) / 1.4 million (1st week) - Becoming (Michelle Obama)
400,000 (24hrs) / 1.0 million (1st week) - My Life (Bill Clinton)
???,??? (24hrs) / 780,000 (1st week) - The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir (John Bolton)
225,000 (24hrs) / 775,000 (1st week) - Decision Points (George W. Bush)
???,??? (24hrs) / 600,000 (1st week) - A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership (James Comey)

Fastest Selling Books Including Fiction (US/CA):

8.3 million (24hrs) / 11.5 million (1st week) - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (J.K. Rowling)
6.9 million (24hrs) / 9.6 million (1st week) - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (J.K. Rowling)
5.0 million (24hrs) / 6.8 million (1st week) - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (J.K. Rowling)
3.0 million (48hrs) / 3.0 million (1st week) - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (J.K. Rowling)*
2.0 million+ (48hrs) / 3.3 million (1st week) - Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts 1 & 2 (J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, Jack Thorne)
1.3 million (24hrs) / 1.3 million (1st week) - Breaking Dawn (Stephenie Meyers)**
1.03 million (24hrs) / ?.? million (1st week) - Spare (Prince Harry)
950,000 (24hrs) / 1.35 million (1st week) - Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man (Mary Trump)
887,000 (24hrs) / 1.7 million (1st week) - A Promised Land (Barack Obama)
809,000 (24hrs) / 1.1 million (1st week) - It Starts With Us (Colleen Hoover)
750,000 (24hrs) / 1.15 million (1st week) - Fear (Bob Woodward)
725,000 (24hrs) / 1.4 million (1st week) - Becoming (Michelle Obama)
???,??? (24hrs) / 1.05 million (1st week) - Midnight Sun (Stephenie Meyers)
550,000 (24hrs) / 550,000 (1st week) - Brisingr (Christopher Paolini)**
489,500 (24hrs) / 760,000 (1st week) - Inheritance (Christopher Paolini)
400,000 (24hrs) / 1.0 million (1st week) - My Life (Bill Clinton)
???,??? (24hrs) / 780,000 (1st week) - The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir (John Bolton)
225,000 (24hrs) / 775,000 (1st week) - Decision Points (George W. Bush)
???,??? (24hrs) / 600,000 (1st week) - A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership (James Comey)
???,??? (24hrs) / 500,000 (1st week) - The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (Suzanne Collins)

*Vastly under-printed (despite it being a record at the time), selling ~95% of its first-print run in 48 hours.
**Only had one day of sales in its first week.

Also, remember Colleen Hoover's name. Once her books begin getting adapted by Hollywood, they could be big. She sold over 14 million books last year (taking 6 of the Top 10 spots, including #1-3 and #5), and her most recent book on the list above put up Twilight numbers.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:38 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Corpse wrote:
Figured you'd enjoy this, O. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: So insightful. I thought self-help books sold better but crazy how much politics drive non-fiction book sales.

In this day and age of so many distractions its really something to see yet again a book take over the zeitgeist from a Brit. Seems that happens every 20 years!

This level of sales sort of floors even the impact of the Oprah interview. The Royal family may not be able to just ignore it as it seems Harry resonates with a lot of people to put up this level of sales. All the signs were that it would do well but never in a million years did I expect this to become #1 on the all time non fiction list. It's the equivalent of a Spider-man type box office opening weekend in the literary world. I'm shocked how quickly this snowballed and how gargantuan this has become.

Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:58 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Well, political books and memoirs have always sold really well, especially in their first week, it's just that the nonsense in more recent years has penetrated the daily lives of many people (largely due to social media), so pretty much anything political is doing even bigger numbers than they did in the past. Everyone is putting out political books these days because it's a gold mine. And 4 of those books up there are directly about the Trump presidency...

I guess helping the print industry, the publishers, and even any authors under those publishers (small authors largely rely on blockbuster books or big name authors under the same publisher doing well in order to get their books released and/or a sufficient print-run and promotion), was a highlight of the 2016-2020 years (and even to this day).

Self-help books, from what I can tell, probably sell consistently over the long-term and not particularly well upon release.

And yeah, Spare's first day is bonkers. We'll see if it's a massive rush and if it drops hard and stalls, but the first day speaks volumes of just how many seem to be fascinated by all of it. Curious of the UK sales.

Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:09 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Where is that sales data from? I'm not questioning its validity, but book sales are confusing because of how the business works. When a book is listed as "Best Seller", in most cases (because it's not based on actual customers buying the book) it's not actually true. It's mostly down to how many was ordered from publishers, regardless of whether they are being sold to actual readers. I've also seen lots of photos of the book already having 'half-price' stickers on it, which leads me to believe it's not as popular as people maybe want us to think.

If the sales data is from Amazon, then I would put more value to it.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:22 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I was thinking of reading it, and now I definitely will!

Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:19 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Algren wrote:
Where is that sales data from? I'm not questioning its validity, but book sales are confusing because of how the business works. When a book is listed as "Best Seller", in most cases (because it's not based on actual customers buying the book) it's not actually true. It's mostly down to how many was ordered from publishers, regardless of whether they are being sold to actual readers. I've also seen lots of photos of the book already having 'half-price' stickers on it, which leads me to believe it's not as popular as people maybe want us to think.

If the sales data is from Amazon, then I would put more value to it.

Sales data comes from POS (point-of-sale) data from ~80% of retailers (which includes Amazon, the #1 seller) from Neilson Bookscan, as well as any digital sales across various formats (ebook, audio, etc.).

Glad you brought this up too because I just saw that the 1.43 million figure includes the UK (400,000), putting the US/CA at 1.03 million for the first day. Not all the headlines are saying this, so it can be assumed it's just in the US/CA if it's run on a news outlet here without context.

Still, it's the biggest first-day for a non-fiction title in the US/CA regardless (and the UK), and the first non-fiction to do over 1 million in 24hrs in the US/CA. It had a 2 million first print-run too, though sales, of course, include all book formats these days (ebooks, audio, etc.).

And BestSeller just means a book sold enough copies to land on a best-seller list (USA Today, New York Times, etc.). It doesn't have to be any position (like #1) or any specific amount. Which is why you see so many "bestsellers." Technically they're still few in number relative to how many books get published, but the requirements are really lax to achieve the status. Basically every book from an established author, known personality (politician, celebrity, etc.) is a guaranteed bestseller, for example.

Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:58 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Great. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

I found this funny:

Spoiler: show

Here's one of the half-price photos:

Spoiler: show

Maybe that's why it's selling so many.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

It is indeed a big reason why it's selling so many.

All new releases are typically 30-40% off for the first few weeks (even month+) at pretty much every retailer (especially major retailers like Amazon, B&N, Walmart, and Target). That's the most likely time a book will sell (especially something like this), so retailers are willing to only make a small profit on each book if it means selling a lot more when interest is at its peak, and order books in bulk (at a discount) to offset potential losses too. And if a major retailer isn't competitive with everyone else, especially Amazon, it's not going to sell many books.

Small retailers, and independent bookstores, can't compete with the major retailers since they can't afford to buy in bulk, and offer far fewer discounts since they also can't get by on only making a very small profit on each book sold (since they sell far less). They do better by maintaining a small loyal customer base who are willing to pay the cover price.

(I'm a hiring manager for Barnes & Noble).

Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:23 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Corpse wrote:
(I'm a hiring manager for Barnes & Noble).

I did wonder. Great insight!

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:26 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

They're obviously desperate to be able to label it a success as the clearly growing overexposure is about to seriously hurt their drawing power ala Bennifer 2004.

It is also pretty sad how many inaccuracies have already been pointed out. This type of is steadily eroding their credibility.

Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next