Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 2270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 91  Next
 Last game you played? 

Which is your favorite Mario game?
Super Mario Bros 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Super Mario Bros 3 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Super Mario World 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Super Mario 64 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mario RPG 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Mario Kart 64 (or others) 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Mario Party (or others) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Paper Mario (original or Thousand Year Door) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Super Mario Sunshine 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mario Kart: Double Dash 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Super Mario Galaxy 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Super Mario Galaxy 2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Super Mario Odyssey 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10

Last game you played? 
The Kramer

Post Re: Last game you played?
Hollow Knight is my favorite of all the games you mentioned in the last post. I actually just recently started a new playthrough on Ps5 (originally bought on Switch.) :thumbsup:

Yeah I was gonna mention that I never was able to beat Dead Cells. It is very hard lol. Still worth it though.

I remember liking Child of Lights artstyle and battle system though I'd have it a tier below the likes of Hollow Knight, Celeste and Dead Cells.

Ori and the Blind Forest has great art too but I could never get into it for some reason. Maybe I'll try it again. They're both on Game Pass.

And I actually don't know what Faeria is! Will have to look it up.

Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:08 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I'll definitely get Hollow Knight then next time it's on sale. And glad I didn't get Dead Cells if you didn't beat it. I mean, it might be great and fun, but I wouldn't want to risk getting overly frustrated if I couldn't beat it eventually I think. (Still... not ruling it out entirely if it would ever go down to like $10).

Faeria has been on my radar for quite a while. So, $5, paid with a gift card I received back on Xmas, sure, might as well bite now. It looks like a cross between Hearthstone mixed with a strategy board-style game. The only downside, and it might be a literal killer in years to come, is that it always require an internet connection to play. PvP makes sense, of course, but the AI outside of that is linked to the developer servers. So, if they ever go under or something happens... it's a dead game. That's why I waited so long, but I can take that chance at $5.

And have you heard of this? https://www.haveanicedeath.com/

Comes out in two weeks. It looks and sounds very interesting. I'll hold off since I just got so many games, but if reviews are good, I might get it later this year.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:36 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I hadn't heard of that but it looks great! I was in as soon as I read the words CEO of Death Incorporated.

Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:56 pm
Hold the door!

There are lots of games that look interesting but are sequel s to games I haven’t played. Jedi Survivor, Diablo 4, god of war Ragnarok, horizon forbidden west. Should I play the original before the new one? They’re available on PS5, but part of me would rather skip to the current gen installment if I’ll be able to follow it without playing the old ones.

Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:04 am
The Kramer

For God of War you should definitely play the 2018 one first. It's not a long game and you can probably find it for pretty cheap.

I'd recommend playing Horizon 1 first but only because it is the better game. Storywise, I think they do a decent job of recapping the first one.

Jedi Fallen Knight is great, but also on the difficult side. You'd probably wanna try the first before dropping $70 on new one.

Diablo is always a new story I believe. Same with Final Fantasy. You don't need to play the old ones for that.

Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:46 pm
The Kramer

The Phazon Mines are making me want to quit Metroid Prime. There's one save spot and its all the way at the beginning of the damn level. I thought surely beating a boss would get to a save spot but nope heres a bunch more enemies and now youre dead and thanks for wasting the last hour of your time for no reason and fuck you for buying our game. :disgust:

Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:53 am
Devil's Advocate

Isn't there one after you get the bomb ball thing? Or do you mean a different boss before then (The big pirate guy)

I'm playing it on an emulator with save states which makes it a lot easier, for other games I try not to use them that much and play as it was intended, but it felt like it would be such a waste of time to die and go through it again. The boss fights would be very annoying without it, the one in the snow level was an iron man match. I did enjoy the earlier levels when I just got to explore and figure out how to platform through levels and find the four markings to open a door and stuff, instead of being stressed about how much I was getting pelted by security cameras and flying/invisible/copied your weapon pirates. The best balance probably being with the earlier lab the first time you see a metroid, and you have to escape in thermal vision while trying not to take enough damage to die.

Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:50 am
The Kramer

I died right after beating the Pirate King, 55 minutes from my last save. Even Elden Ring gives you a bonfire after defeating a boss. :mad:

I don't mind the difficulty spike. I just don't want to feel like my time is being wasted because of poor level design. It seems like the only way I can progress is to go back and find more energy tanks (have 5 now.) But then I'll have to go back through the entire game again once I finally get the grappling hook ... It doesn't sound very appealing.

Too bad the physical copies aren't going for $90+ on Ebay anymore. :funny:

Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:52 pm
Devil's Advocate

If you get to the poison gas part I think you can stand in the hallway where it doesn't hurt you and kill them to get more life. The hallway with 4 turrets instead of fighting them you can roll under and hide behind some boxes and scan on the other side to turn them off.

Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:25 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I don't recall having any major issues with save points. Now, I played it shortly after launch on the GameCube, and then again in the Metroid Trilogy on the Wii, so it's been a long time. And the Phazon Mines is the area with the most space pirates, right? I remember it being the most difficult area from memory if so.

Speaking of difficulty... Ori and the Blind Forest has proven more difficult than I was expecting. I heard it wasn't easy, and they weren't joking. Was struggling quite a bit in the very early game, but now that I've unlocked a couple more abilities (double-jump, finally!), and have found more life cells, I'm doing better. 45 deaths with 3.5hrs of play seems pretty high to me though. :haha:

I'm enjoying it though, and have a feeling I'll enjoy it more and more.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I got to the save point ... like four rooms after the Pirate King, with a million more space pirates, another mini boss (I did not like the Cloak Drone) and an electric maze. Was down to 37 total health. :funny:

Will continue on but that little section has Metroid Prime on watch. Dont let it happen again or else. :ninja: :bat:

Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:29 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Reminder: The Wii U & 3DS eShop is closing forever on March 27th.

Many games are marked way down (talking 75-95%), and unless you already own them or have an emulator, it's the last chance to purchase/own a LOT of games. The Nintendo Virtual Console had a lot of games on them that have yet to be made available on Switch, and unless they plan to make them available for Switch at a later date (pretty dang late in its lifespan if they do it), this is it.

Notably, the early Pokemon games (Red/Blue/Yellow, Gold/Silver/Crystal), which cost hundreds on eBay for an out of box used copy, will be lost, as well as other games that can sell in the hundreds, too, like the Fire Emblem titles. Although there many others on this list too, including some that never got physical releases in the U.S. (or were very limited).

There are also services like Pokemon Bank (the only way to transfer Pokemon from Gens 1-3, 5-7 over to Pokemon Home and then over to the current games on Switch) that will be gone for anyone who doesn't already have it.

Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Just finished, I do think ending the game with searching for the triforce shards artifacts and 2 bosses is a bit less fun than when you were exploring the levels, and I wish I knew you only see Samus face if you get 75% of the items (had to watch the ending on youtube). On the whole I had fun and got hooked enough that it convinced me to not start any new games immediately after this to free up time to catch up on some other things.

Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:02 am
The Kramer

Was gonna buy Have A Nice Death last night at midnight but I guess it doesn't come out until tomorrow. Who releases a game on a Wednesday?

And that one day delay might cost them a sale cause holy wow both Xbox and Playstation Game Pass are having a good week. The biggest and most important title is obviously Untitled Goose Game which I've been wanting to try forever. They also have something new called Tchia which sounds like an indie verson of Mario Odyssey. "A physics-driven sandbox where you take control of any objects or animals you find." Xbox added Valheim which sounds like a mix of a survival game and Returnal. And the new MLB is coming on Friday.

Damn that's a packed schedule. I better hurry up on finishing Metroid Prime. On the Pirate Elite boss now, though I did just do a lot of backtracking to get the upgraded versions of each weapon.

Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:02 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Have a Nice Death has good reviews on PC (83 currently), though not too many right now, so it can still go up or down. Haven't spotted a Switch review yet, but I'm going to assume it's just as good. I'd like to see at least 1 before buying though. $25 isn't a lot, but it's also just enough to where I want a little more knowledge before buying. Still likely to buy it, maybe even today, just want to see a Switch review.

I'm going to wrap up Ori and the Blind Forest (91% complete) today or tomorrow. 12 hours of play. The more abilities and skills you unlock, the easier it becomes. I know, pretty obvious. There's a big change in difficulty from early game compared to late game due to this. I've died 279 times so far, and I'm confident 200+ is from the first 2-3 hours. It makes backtracking (fairly minimal as there are a number of fast travel points) rewarding though, as you get to explore nooks and crannies you couldn't quite reach before. It's worth the $25/30 price (forget which), but getting it for $5 on sale made its value skyrocket.

Thinking of giving it a 8.5/9. Just have the final dungeon to complete and whatever comes after that. The platforming is top-tier stuff, the exploration is fun and rewarding, the graphics are very pretty, and the music is aces. The story is nothing amazing, but interesting and good enough. The combat is pretty basic and takes a backseat to everything else. Puts the focus much more on exploration over combat.

Feels odd to be nearly finished, full 100%, with a game after 12 hours. Not bad. Just odd, and maybe refreshing for a change of pace. Almost everything I've played in the last few years takes at least 20/25 to beat I'd say, but that's always 50-100 for me since, if I dont 100%, I get pretty close.

Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:47 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Im struggling to beat Sweeping the Competition flying time trial since the camera controls now move the broom up and down. So there’s no way to adjust the camera while flying. So I can’t always see everything correctly. Would be nice if the camera automatically centered behind the broom.

Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:24 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I don't know if anything was change from the time I completed them until now, but a tip I'd give is to hold both sticks forward (up) at all times, and only move the left stick minimally when needing to adjust your trajectory to go through the rings.

I completed the first two trials first try (barely on the second), but it took me many tries (five or six I think) on the third and final trial.

Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Shack wrote:
Just finished, I do think ending the game with searching for the triforce shards artifacts and 2 bosses is a bit less fun than when you were exploring the levels, and I wish I knew you only see Samus face if you get 75% of the items (had to watch the ending on youtube). On the whole I had fun and got hooked enough that it convinced me to not start any new games immediately after this to free up time to catch up on some other things.
Wait you really have to collect all the artifacts to progress? I think I only have 5/12. :oops:

Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:36 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Beat Ori and the Blind Forest, and with 100% completion. 13.5 hours. The final dungeon (or what I call them) and escape was very good, and the story ended on a strong note, so I'll give it a 9.

Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:10 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:35 pm
The Kramer

Defeated the Metroid Prime. Fun boss battle, but honestly I think the only hard part was when he swarms you with little metroids at the end. That killed me the first time as I ran out of super bombs. Pretty frustrating that I then had to make the climb in the room full of little metroids after, but the challenge level was fine. Way less difficult than the Metroid Dread final boss anyways lol. And still far less frustrating than the opening parts of the Phazon Mines.

So while Prime is held back by some questionable design choices and outdated mechanics (it was never not annoying to have to switch between weapons in the middle of a fight), the game was still pretty darn good. It holds up better than a lot of games from that era, even more so than the other sci-fi FPS champion Halo. The exploration can be confusing because of the map, though I didn't really the backtracking at the end with the help of a strategy guide. I can't imagine playing this game without one.

So the question is; is this the best Metroid game? For me, the answer remains no. I still prefer the 2D games, especially the ones on the GBA Fusion and Zero. Though I'm sure if I played Prime back in its prime I wouldn't have had so many problems with it and would have just appreciated it as an instant classic. I'll give the remaster a 8.7/10.

Though this game also just made Mario Galaxy seem even better with its timeless graphics and gameplay. I'm bumping that from a 9.9 to a full 10 and will finally say that it was better than Mario Odyssey ... Until I play the Odyssey remaster in 20 years and reevaluate. :P

Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:09 pm
Hold the door!

I’m at 99% for Hogwarts Legacy so I got Jedi Fallen Order to prepare for Survior

Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:02 pm
The Kramer

Good choice Zwack. Getting the parrying down is pretty tough at first but you feel like a super badass jedi once you do.

Rogue Legacy is only $2 on the eshop (hint hint Corpse!) And RL2 is on sale for $20ish. Have been waiting to get it but might as well. We're pretty close to Zelda now so no point in starting another big open world game and I haven't really liked any of the titles I listed a few posts back (except The Show of course). Though God of War Ragnarok would also work well for that purpose.

Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:17 am
The Kramer

Rogue Legacy 2 was a great choice! Just beat the first boss last night and was so thrilled with myself haha.

Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:00 pm
Veteran

I'm playing Horizon Forbidden West but having a hard time sticking with it. I find myself reverting back to Modern Warfare 2. I want to finish the game before the new Zelda comes out.

I was blind, but now I see.

Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 2270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 91  Next