Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Rank Generation Z's taste 

Do young people really have worse taste than we did?
Yes - what went wrong? 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
No - It's an illusion, previous generations felt this way back then too. 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 10

Rank Generation Z's taste 
Devil's Advocate

Post Rank Generation Z's taste
Rank what they have the best to worst taste in between: movies, tv shows, music, video games if you have an opinion

Gen Z is defined to be about 1997 to 2010 birthdates. So the average Gen Z is around 19.

Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:21 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Rank Generation Z's taste
1. Music - Rap music has gone downhill with trap beats and confounding trend of ones where lyrics are the least important part in the one genre that should never happen, but they like Taylor Swift as much as millennials which is a big plus, and some other artists like Ed Sheeran, The Weeknd, Harry Styles, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish are at least respectable in some way or another, and I believe several hits from the last few years like As It Was, Blinding Lights, Levitating, Old Town Road, etc. may be in the long haul on radio.

2. Movies - The obsession with safe as it gets MCU movies 30 movies in is uninspiring, although there is competence in them between action movies and humor. The drop off in comedies is damning though compared to eras like Carrey/Sandler/Ferrell or Apatow R rated stretch.

3. TV - They way overrated Netflix who has been producing half ass quality at best for a decade, although the Game of Thrones fanship is respectable and they like the Office and Friends too.

I can't speak to video games but nothing I've seen on youtube playthroughs makes me think they look as good as SNES and N64 hot fire in the late 90s and early 00s.

Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:11 pm
Extraordinary

On the comedy front and movies in general, I can't blame GenZ on that one. I think it's the larger societal trend of avoiding offense to avoid social media backlash that has resulted in watering down of those movies in general and favoring tried and true franchises act as risk mitigation. I definitely feel we could have Jim Carrey and Ferrell types again but need to open up more to give them a chance.

TV and music have also become so serialized in a way. It's so predictable on what will become a hit because the system is so tech data driven now. Every now and then though shows take off like Squid Game or Tiger King that seemingly come out of nowhere.

The Hot 100 has gotten so predictable since streams count for album equivalents and Tiktok's influence of whatever viral can turn subpar songs into hits. The viral campaign sometimes matters more than if a song is good and memorable to reach #1. So out of all of these categories I feel music has gone way down the most in terms of quality.

Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Every generation thinks the ones that come after are lazy and ingrateful while the ones that came before are stubborn pigs.

The way I see it, while anyone say that the most popular movies, tv, music, books, video games, etc... are not as good as when they were young, I say that if you can't find anything to like then you aren't looking hard enough. There's so much content out there. The major difference is accessibility to everything, everywhere all at once and I have hard time seeing that as a bad thing.

Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:47 pm
Devil's Advocate

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Every generation thinks the ones that come after are lazy and ingrateful while the ones that came before are stubborn pigs.

The way I see it, while anyone say that the most popular movies, tv, music, books, video games, etc... are not as good as when they were young, I say that if you can't find anything to like then you aren't looking hard enough. There's so much content out there. The major difference is accessibility to everything, everywhere all at once and I have hard time seeing that as a bad thing.

But if you have to look hard for it, doesn't that mean it's not "the most popular"?

Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:19 pm
The Kramer

That's what I meant. Like if you go into spotify and checked the worldwide top ten, maybe its all crap maybe its not. But if you click on one of your favorite artists and scroll down to the Similiar To section then you probably will find something you like. Most of us didn't have Similiar To when we were growing up. We had Clear Channel and Viacom, and we took what they had to offer or got nothing at all.

Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:39 pm
Devil's Advocate

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
That's what I meant. Like if you go into spotify and checked the worldwide top ten, maybe its all crap maybe its not. But if you click on one of your favorite artists and scroll down to the Similiar To section then you probably will find something you like. Most of us didn't have Similiar To when we were growing up. We had Clear Channel and Viacom, and we took what they had to offer or got nothing at all.

I think this is talking about different things though, there is definitely good content in every generation, I just question how much of it is being consumed by the average normie 18 year old right now instead of a cocktail of some generic trap beat rap artist+C grade Netflix show+very safe IP driven superhero film. Even among the most popular stuff I found late 90s and early 2000s more interesting, but people can disagree with that if they want. I am sure there's some people in the late 90s who were also like "fuck boybands, bring back hair metal!" meaning they are still fans of populist material unlike the grunge people, however they just liked the 80s populist stuff more than the 90s.

Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:27 pm
Hold the door!

Our taste in music is probably the worst, followed by our taste in film. Our taste in TV is pretty good actually.

Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:16 am
Extraordinary

I take back my answer on TV. Have to agree there were some good shows back then but feel it is much better now. I enjoyed 90s shows from TGIF's lineup but they feel so bad now relative to higher quality offerings. Full House was amusing in the 90s but Fuller House felt so dated.

What's really helped is the internationalization of TV content. I'm enjoying shows like Lupin that wouldn't happen in a curated 4 channel TV landscape.

Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Millennials, Gen X and older part of Gen Z have best TV taste. Old people have fascinatingly boring love of procedurals and people under 20 also seem to mainly be looking for anything to binge to turn their brain off.

Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:33 am

Don’t know what generation Stranger Things belongs to, but season one was phenomenal and the rest was pretty good too

Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:09 pm
Extraordinary

Hijinks with the next generation with occasional visits from series regulars and 2-3 consistent characters from the old version showing up. This seems like the go to formula for:

Girl Meets World
That 90s Show
Fuller House
Etc.

Cobra Kai on the other hand felt so fresh for a nearly 40 year old franchise. The reversal of villains to hero was captivating and think that's a big reason it resonated as a "GenZ" hit despite GenX roots. Also karate movies seem to also go in and out of style randomly. TGM sort of followed Cobra Kai's blueprint where it still felt so fresh and relevant despite so many years passing.

Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:23 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

LOL everyone thinks the younger crowd stinks. Never changes. When wristwatches were invented, older folks claimed younger folks were too vain, dumbed down, and wasted too much time looking at them! :funny: :funny:

Only thing I don't get is much of gen z legit dresses like homeless people. For real younger crowds ofd 80s-2000s at least dressed respectful, minus the era of ULTRA baggy jeans

Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:33 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

TV sitcoms were better back in the 90s/early 00s but TV drama is probably better now ( mid 00s to now)

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:04 am
now we know

But since none of the TV or films are yet made by Gen Z, the thread's question is a little futile. Content is still funded by and made by boomers-to-millenials.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:31 am
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Gen Z made "Running Up That Hill" by Kate Bush into a worldwide smash which Boomers and Gen X had failed to do in the 80s, so they actually have better taste!

Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:59 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Barrabás wrote:
Gen Z made "Running Up That Hill" by Kate Bush into a worldwide smash which Boomers and Gen X had failed to do in the 80s, so they actually have better taste!

It's a bit of a joint effort lol.

It took a boomer to make the song, Gen X/Y to make the show and decide to use the song in the way it was used and put it out in front of Gen Z (and X/Ys who also watch the show). But yes Gen Z did have great taste here. Likewise - looks like this generation is responding to older music styles well - the success of Steven Sanchez' new song is a good example.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:57 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I think there is crazy shit quality product that was huge from every generation

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:49 pm
Veteran

I think the Millennial's taste (1980 - 1995) were worse than my generation. There are so many of them. Those jokers are everywhere. :P

And yes, Gen Z's tastes are worse than all previous generations. ;)

I was blind, but now I see.

Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]