Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Other sports thread (UFC, soccer, etc.) 
Devil's Advocate

Post Other sports thread (UFC, soccer, etc.)
There are some sports that traditionally haven't had their own thread, if you want to discuss them then do it here. This will also be the Olympics thread.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:01 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Other sports thread (MMA, Boxing, Soccer, Olympics, etc.
I don't know much about UFC but McGregor losing again doesn't surprise me, that fight wasn't going well for him even if he didn't break his leg (it would also make sense if it was really a kick that half broke it first). I want to see him on screen with Jason Statham. 5 minute role in Hobbs and Shaw 2?

Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:13 pm
Keeping it Light

So, I guess nobody else watched the Euros. That was a very nervy final, with neither side given much away. It felt right to go to penalties, but it remains a gut wrenching way to decide a championship. Italy perhaps played with some more deft in this game and also seemed better throughout the tournament, but England was pretty rock solid too and wouldn't have been undeserving to win it either. Unfortunate for England that the penalties didn't go their way, but I'm happy for Italy to get the win.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:40 pm
Devil's Advocate

Penalties are a pretty rough way to decide it (Why not just make teams take turns on corner kicks, for example?) but also more entertaining than soccer usually is, that was a riveting shootout.

Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:08 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Other sports thread (Tokyo Olympics 2021)
I'm happy to see skateboarding get added, I always enjoy watching the snowboard jumps and rails sections equivalent at the winter and usually right at the start of it. Need halfpipe next time though.

I don't know why this year's American basketball team is so bad. In 2004 it made sense since they were playing Iverson and Marbury together.

Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:36 am
Devil's Advocate

Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:55 pm
The Kramer

China up 32-24 in golds right now. USA beat them by like 20 golds at Rio in 2016. Something that happened shortly after that must have made the country weak.

Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:50 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

China has been exceling in several games. They've been "picking off" a lot of medals in swimming, diving, gymnastics, and more. Likewise, other countries, such as Japan and Australia who are performing extraordinarily well, are also exceeding expectations in various games and picking up several "surprise" medals.

I don't really cheer too much for the USA, or any country really, so just seeing the athletes meet/exceed expectations is always nice. Although I'm disappointed both the USA and Japan were knocked out of volleyball. But I love when an athlete or team before any event ends up medaling, or even winning gold, when the broadcast teams barely, or don't even mention them at all beforehand.

(Also, the US has been really bad at hyping and setting sky-high expectations for all their athletes this year. It's basically gold, world records, or nothing type of messaging. I wouldn't doubt it's having a negative impact on a generation of athletes more integrated with social media/digital media where they're constantly surrounded by it all.)

Good luck to team Canada (Pavan/Humana) tonight in Beach Volleyball!

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:11 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I decided to try to get into soccer this year and picked Arsenal, so of course they start 0-3

Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:38 am
Devil's Advocate

I thought another Olympics being so soon would be fun but really I just can't get excited for this one at all

Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:24 am
Romosexual!

Post Re: Other sports thread (Beijing Olympics)
totally forgot there was an Olympics happening right now lol

Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:45 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Probably the most muted Olympics in recent times. The only coverage is centered around COVID or about the countries that aren't sending delegations in response to China's human rights violations.

Little/nothing about the athletes or events.

However, hopefully they do move out of China for the foreseeable future.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:56 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Very short Opening Ceremony, but the CGI ice wall display was cool.

Very weird to see Putin watching Ukraine come out, not to mention seeing Taiwan and Hong Kong here given China's nonsense with them.

Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

The Luge and Skeleton might be the most nerve-racking events to watch. There's probably been some brutal crashes in the past (not going to look them up), but I keep expecting someone to just wipe out at 80mph going around one of the turns and tumble down the track. A couple guys have crashed, but they've at least slowed down their momentum and/or ricochet from side to side before they do...

Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Corpse wrote:
The Luge and Skeleton might be the most nerve-racking events to watch. There's probably been some brutal crashes in the past (not going to look them up), but I keep expecting someone to just wipe out at 80mph going around one of the turns and tumble down the track. A couple guys have crashed, but they've at least slowed down their momentum and/or ricochet from side to side before they do...

There was one a few Olympics ago due to the course being designed with a pillar way too close to the track

Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:17 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I might have to take that back.

Alpine Skiing is probably the worst! Just saw (live) one of the German athletes crash and slide down the mountain over 400 yards. He wasn't getting up and needed carried off... hope it's not a serious injury.

I expect they'll be more, unfortunately, as none of the athletes were allowed trial runs on the course, and almost all the turns are blind on this course too... Just asking for some disasters.

Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

The NBC commentary has been garbage. It's either overtly enthusiastic or overtly negative. If a top athlete delivers, it's all "they do this in their sleep!". But if they mess up, it's all "rookie mistake", "absolutely disappointing".

And last night during the Women's Giant Slalom event, Shiffrin failed a second event by not finishing and she was obviously devastated and sat on the side for a really long time (probably a half hour). But instead of actually showing the still ongoing event, it was near non-stop negativity ("biggest disappointment in Olympic history") with the cameras focused on her as she grieved. Who knows how any of the other contestants performed after her, because they weren't even showing them! Ugh.

And I don't think the commentators during the Women's Halfpipe qualifier event yesterday (maybe day before) failed to talk about Shaun White once during each and every competitors run... Like... can we talk about the actual competitors in the current event, please?

The Tokyo 2020 NBC commentators were so much better.

Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Near total meltdown after this Women's Figure Skating event right now.

Kamila buckled, fell multiple times, and failed to make the podium. Breaking down, no doubt from way too much pressure. The first words from her coach when she got off the ice being "why did you throw that?", really...? That's something that coaching team needs to ask itself.

Shcherbakova, winning the Gold, unsmiling and sitting alone in the winning room, waiting for someone besides the cameraman to come in.

Trusova, another Russian girl who won the Silver is breaking down, literally alone with random Olympic staff, crying, angry, yelling, saying she's not going to go up on the podium to get her medal, while everyone who would be celebrating with her just left to console(?) Kamila. Thankfully Johnny Weir (commentator) knows Russian and can translate all this....

Based on Trusova's reaction, I wouldn't be shocked if she knew their team made Kamila (her friend) give what was said to be her worst performance to date in order to keep her off the podium. Had she made the podium (and she went in in 1st place), the IOC couldn't have had a medal ceremony due to her positive drug test. Takes some of the spotlight off them during the doping investigation if they had 3 clean winners...

The Japanese girl who got the Bronze is crying. Everyone is crying.

Most of these girls aren't even adults.

All could have been prevented if the idiots who decided Kamila was still allowed to compete after a positive drug test had made the right decision and kept her out of this event.

Everyone who can be linked to the doping scandal just needs banned outright. And everyone on the board, court, whatever, that allowed it to reach this stage should also be held accountable.

Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Other sports thread (UFC, soccer, etc.)
I watched the Nunes Pena fight. Impressive chin by Pena.

Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]