Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 General sports rewatch thread 
Devil's Advocate

Post General sports rewatch thread
If you’ve watched any sports replays during the quarantine post them here.

Tue May 05, 2020 3:54 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: General sports rewatch thread
This thread is mostly for myself. I was compromised since 2016 and felt like I missed out on the real experience of some of this stuff, and the ability to clicked in recently, but like 2 weeks apart starting with the sports I forced down the least the last 4 years. The same happened with movies and TV shows where the latter came in 2 weeks after the former. Yes, that makes no sense and I’m not even going to try to explain, but the short version is I’m now rewatching all the final round or half round of golf majors starting after the Masters in 2016.

2016 US Open (Dustin Johnson) - This was somewhat dramatic storyline with DJ having a one stroke penalty that may or may not be applied the whole half round, and his history losing 2010 PGA cause of grounding his club in the bunker on the last hole among other brutal losses. Fortunately he stayed pretty cool and collected and built up a big enough lead for it to not matter. I only saw the back 9 so I didn’t see Shane Lowry blowing his 4 shot lead, but I knew he redeems himself a few years later.

2016 British Open (Henrik Stenson) - This was slightly less of the back and forth shootout to the end between him and Mickelson than I had in my mind, although I only was able to watch the last 9 holes instead of the full round, and I know they dueled all the 3rd round too. Stenson led most of the back 9 and it felt like it was over when he hit a 50 foot put on the 15th. The guy was clearly as lights out as it gets finishing -20 on a hard course.

2016 PGA Championship (Jimmy Walker) - I was expecting this to be one of the most boring combinations of winners and tournaments, however the story of him having to beat the world #1 and defending champion Jason Day was interesting, and it had a solid ending with Day hitting an eagle at the last hole to turn a 3 shot lead and guaranteed win into a 1 shot, and then Walker missing the green to toy with fucking it up before making the clutch putt to seal it.

Tue May 05, 2020 4:22 pm
Devil's Advocate

2017 Masters (Sergio Garcia) - This was an awesome duel between Garcia and Rose. Biggest turning point was definitely Garcia was already losing by 2 shots and hit a drive into the woods while Rose was in birdie position, which should've meant he's behind at 3 shots at minimum and possibly 4, which you'd think would be curtains against a very unflappable former world #1 who deserves a second major, but somehow he comes out of it not even dropping a shot to Rose and manages to pull it out in a playoffs. Watching this compared to the other tournaments made me appreciate the Masters having shorter holes but with greens that ruin people. I know they changed it to prevent Tiger from destroying it back in the day but I wish they found a way to lean into that even more. The course also looked really good as it was an ultra sunny day.

2017 US Open (Brooks Koepka) - After the drama of the Masters this was definitely more ho hum, but Brooks definitely deserved it for hitting a bunch of great putts on the back nine and pulling away from Brian Harman. It also looked like he genuinely appreciated the moment, which was cool to see for someone with a reputation of not even liking golf that much.

2017 British Open (Jordan Spieth) - This was another cool duel between Spieth and Kuchar, highlighted by a crazy 13th hole it took Spieth like 40 minutes to play. Then after being +4 halfway through his round he started just hitting crazy putts. Kuchar could've really seized it midway through but he just didn't play well enough. It's hard to believe that after Spieth put away some masters demons and re-asserted himself as the new Yung King, he followed this up with having no PGA wins in either 2018 or 2019 and being like 55th in the world right now. I guess it's hard to keep up having only average driving distance but making it up by killing everyone in putting. I believe in his best year he was being driven by hitting a crazy amount of over 10 foot putts.

2017 PGA Championship (Justin Thomas) - I had to find an ESPN 2 stream to watch this one early in the morning, so it wasn't the conditions I normally would look for, but it was a solid breakout win for a young star with some solid players like Matsuyama, Reed and Molinari in the hunt. He seems to hit uniquely far for like a 150 pound guy. The course having last three holes being 3 of the hardest and having the nickname "the green mile" makes for a pretty cool finish.

2018 Stanley Cup finals (Washington Capitals) - The first game of this series was a really fun crazy game. Then Washington really took over cause the Ovechkin line started way outplaying Vegas top line. The Capitals seem like they have better defenseman, Vegas was leaving guys open a lot more as the series went along, while Washington's defense eliminated their stars like Marchessault and Karlsson. Another big strength was Washington had amazing powerplay and penalty kill. They seem really stacked on the PP with the best powerplay scorer ever Ovechkin, Carlson as offensive defenseman, and Backstom, Kuznetsov and Oshie. It could have been a 6 game series as Vegas played decent at home but the famous Holtby save in game 2 really screwed them, as did a hilariously missed open net by Neal in game 4.

Sun May 17, 2020 2:29 am
Top Poster

1992,1993,1995 Superbowls last time my cowboys were relevant

1994 NCAA Basketball Championship Game- Arkansas vs. Duke, will never forget Scotty Thurman's dagger

1995 NCAA Basketball Championship Game- Arkansas vs. UCLA, almost had a back to back but Ed O'bannon had other ideas

1999 Stanley cup Finals, Dallas Stars last time they won it all, so close this year too.

2001- Arkansas Vs. Ole Miss, longest NCAA Football game ever with 7 OT's an my Hogs beat Eli Manning rebels

2007- Arkansas Vs. #1 LSU, Darren McFadden's famous "Who brought dat wood?"

2006- NBA Western Conference Finals Game 7- Mavericks Vs. Spurs, Classic Nowitzki vs Duncan

2010- ACLS Series - Rangers vs Yankees, Finally beat the hated Yanks to get to out first world series.

2011- NBA Western Conference Finals Game 4- Mavericks vs OKC (Durant, Harden, and Westbrook) Down 15 points and came back should have been a warning to the Heat in the next round.

2011- NBA Finals Game 2- Mavericks vs Heat, While Lebron and Wade were bumping chests with 7 mins left in the game and a 15 point lead the Mavericks came back and reminded everyone of what had been happening throughout these entire playoffs.

2011- NBA Finals Game 6- Mavericks close it out

2016- Cowboys Vs Steelers- Rookie Dak and Zeke at their best

Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]