Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 5881 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216 ... 236  Next
 Wrestling (WWE, IMPACT, NXT, AEW) 
New Server, Same X

Post Re: Wrestling (WWE, IMPACT, NXT, AEW)
Wow they did it. Ricochet has survived enough releases and WWE has cycled through enough people that he won the IC title.

Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:13 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Good for him. Certainly overdue, but hey... better late than never(?).

WWE has been hyping the show at MSG tonight. Trying to keep an eye on social media on why. Lots of people are suspecting Cody will show up as Brock's mystery opponent, but I don't know. Should know soon.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:30 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Wasn't it Austin Theory? Lol.

I did see Roman Reigns standing over Brock holding both titles. Man, I hope they don't have Brock beat Roman at Mania. That would be a horrible waste. He already ended Taker's streak, he shouldn't be the one to beat Roman.

Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:31 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Yeah, it was Austin Theory... (I like him, but really? Such a Vince move.)

I guess they only advertised the event and whatnot so they could show the end where Reigns is standing over Brock.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Spoiler: show
WILLIAM REGAL!

I'll have more thoughts on Revolution tomorrow, but wanted to post that now. He seemed to let go by WWE on good terms, but not having him involved anywhere given his long history and passion for the sport was always upsetting.

Glad he's here. And great way to debut too!

Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:16 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

The 1992 Royal Rumble popped up as a recommended video on YouTube this morning, so I watched it. I've seen it at least twice in the past (as I have most/all Rumbles), but it's still amazing.

Whenever anyone who had held a title in the past (IC or Tag), Monsoon and Heenan* would almost always point out how they're here now to go for the gold. They talk like there's a clear ladder to climb on the way to the WWF title. WWE hasn't done this in years, especially as of late.

It might be a small detail, but it gave the sense that wrestlers who obtained the IC or tag title (which carried prestige) were on the path to, and even had a fair chance at, the WWF title at some point. It's the total opposite today when you can count the main 4 title candidates with a few fingers.

*Heenan was so distraught and hilarious in this Rumble (mostly over Flair), it's almost impossible not to laugh.

Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:01 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Great show! Punk v MJF was my favorite, such an amazing end sequence. Jericho and Kingston was the other big highlight. Was happy with the result in main event.

Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:25 pm
New Server, Same X

Awesome show. It was nice to see them relying less on big surprise debuts (Adam Cole and Bryan Danielson last year on the same PPV is a bar that'll be hard to surpass) and more on great matches. They were all pretty solid. I've watched four consecutive AEW PPVs now and I'm always pleased. I can't remember the last time I was happy watching every match on a WWE PPV.

Not to say there weren't big debuts/returns. Nice to see Erick Rowan/Redbeard. And man, it's a huge asset to have William Regal. And really liked how they brought him out. I'd be down if he plays manager to Moxley/Danielson.

Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:16 pm
New Server, Same X

It should never be understated how dumb it still is that WWE felt they had no use for William Regal on any of their three shows. Of all the dumb decisions in the last five years, that is easily top 3, and probably number 1.

Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:20 pm
New Server, Same X

I'm so conflicted when it comes to Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens. Part of me wants to think positively and say that Sami is trusted to work two years in a row with Hollywood (Logan Paul last year, Johnny Knoxville this year). Meanwhile Owens was involved with that last year while this year he gets a huge segment in Texas with Stone Cold.

Part of me wishes they were given better spots because both will ultimately be the fools of their respective segments. Look at two other long-time friends in Bryan Danielson and CM Punk and where they're at right now. They aren't shilling for legends or celebrities.

I'm extremely soured on Wrestlemania this year. I feel like Edge and AJ is just a lite version of Punk and MJF (Edge trying to pull the best out of AJ Styles). I actually wanted to post some positive thoughts on WWE to try and prove I'm not anti-WWE, but the list was too short. I like Chad Gable and Alpha Academy and the triple threat tag was great last night, but... why wasn't that on the Mania card? That was Wrestlemania quality. Instead they wasted it so they could get Owens to Austin and Rollins to someone else. Cody? Who knows.

Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:06 pm
New Server, Same X

I just realized I put Hollywood and Logan Paul together, but for the sake of my argument, it fits.

Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:07 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

So agree on the triple threat tag team title match on Monday. Why not just have that match at Mania! I'm glad RAW finally had a great match, but still... Sacrificing so much for the Owens/Austin segment is frustrating. It's just going to be Owens taking a stunner from Austin following a chorus of "what" from the crowd until it happens.

And quick rant about the lack of Alexa Bliss. She disappeared after losing to Charlotte (in a feud one could argue Alexa should have won), came back for those therapy segments on RAW, then was added last minute to the Elimination Chamber match where she lost. And now she's disappeared again. She wasn't even on the RAW from 2 or 3 weeks ago in Columbus, OH (her hometown).

She's active on social media, and unless her behavior is just an act, it seems like she really wants to be in the ring. Or at least part of the show. And she's regularly interacting with fans online. She's always been over with the fans, she's great on the mic (even excellent before her fiend role, but still good with it too), and she's solid in the ring. I even read that her merchandise sales continue to be high on WWEs charts. She was, and can still be, a top name.

What's the problem? I can only assume that creative just has no idea what to do outside of Becky and Charlotte and who their immediate "challenger" is. This is made more evident in how they continue to just throw two random women together for a new tag team like Sasha and Naomi now. Seriously, they've been doing this for so much the past couple years. I guess Rhea and Liv are also a tag team now, too, so they're even rotating the women around to form tag teams at this point...

Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I'm sitting here thinking of how good Dynamite was this week, while I'm trying to remember details about RAW. I know it started with a match that should have been at Wrestlemania and it ended with the Owens segment. In between, I'm sure Rhea Ripley was in another random tag team, Reggie and Dana Brooke maybe? Edge with his overused, middle of the ring promos. Think they're inexplicably building up Omos when we all know in a year he'll either be released or playing comedy segments with someone backstage, probably Riddle.

Dynamite had a little bit of everything. Eddie Kingston shut down the What chant, Jericho finally turned on Inner Circle (minus Jake Hager, who couldn't have left Jericho and remained relevant), Regal had a heartfelt promo, The Acclaimed challenged for the tag titles, totally random but totally awesome AEW World title match for Dante Martin, Jeff Hardy debuted to that stock music that everyone thought WWE owned, Thunder Rosa earned a rematch, Scorpio Sky won the TNT title and Paige VanZant is All Elite.

Like... I know I am an AEW fanboy now, but AEW has made me love watching wrestling every week again. I don't feel forced to keep up like it's a soap opera.

Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:51 pm
New Server, Same X

And they took the NXT title off Bron Breakker. I know he's WWE bound but I didn't think it would be that soon. I assume after Wrestlemania he'll be on the main roster. Going to be interesting since he's the first Vince creation of NXT 2.0.

And I'm happy whenever Dolph Ziggler gets a good run. But why is he NXT champion? There are a dozen guys that should have won it instead.

Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:53 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Happy for Dolph, but yeah... seems really random.

So some fun! I saw some discussion on twitter about Worst Entrance Themes when Jericho said it was Billy Gunn's "Ass Man".

Ass Man is sort of a jam though, so definitely not on my list. Many commented Regal's "Man's Man." I looked it up, not remembering it, and yeah... I think it's the worst. At least, the worst I can think of at the moment. The Right to Censor theme was also mentioned a lot. Sure, it's... annoying, but it's hard for me to really hate.

I'm going through a lot of themes to see if I can do a Top 5 or 10. I'm expecting a lot of late 80s/early 90s themes, but we'll see.

So, what are some of your guys' WORST Entrance Themes?

(And not to stray away from Worst Themes, but damn did Bobby Roode have, well, a GLORIOUS theme! It has over 20 million views on YT. Might honestly be on my all-time Top 5 or something.)

Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Outback Jack from the 80s lol. Feel like it shouldn't count as I wasn't alive during his short stint.

There's a lot of women in WWE in the early or mid 2000s who had awful generic music. I cringe at Kelly Kelly's (which she still uses, at least at the Royal Rumble this year). I also wasn't a fan of Mickie James' music. I know it was supposed to invoke "Oh Mickie you're so fine... you're so fine you blow my mind" but that just made it sillier. Catchy I guess, but it didn't help her, especially in her later run. Her theme at the Rumble (which I assume is her IMPACT theme) made a huge difference in her presence. She looked more like a star.

I want to say in theory, HBK's music is awful, but I mean... he made it work. And it was pretty iconic.

Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:23 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

My god... Pete Dunne debuts on Smackdown and his name is changed to Butch. Fucking BUTCH! I knew I shouldn't have turned on WWE... (Oh, and Big E is probably injured after that...)

Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Fuck... Broken neck for Big E. Really, really hoping it's not career-ending.

Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:52 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I always thought it was a funny little wrestling rumour that got blown out of proportion that Adam Cole was set to debut on the main roster as Keith Lee's manager and with a name change. No way they could justify changing someone's name, who was established by their name ON WWE TELEVISION. But last night confirms that wasn't a rumour, that was a full-blown fact.

And the rumour was it was because they didn't want Adam Cole and Michael Cole to be on WWE TV with the same last name. WWE fans are that stupid (well, I guess if the shoe fits). So they obviously changed Pete Dunne because there's Kevin Dunn, right?

I just don't get how anyone sits in a room and says "Let's call him Butch". It was bad enough he was debuting on the main roster with Sheamus and Ridge Holland, because WWE doesn't value stables unless they're DX. But then change his entire identity with the name of a Little Rascals character. Embarrassing.

I know this is all hugely trivial considering Big E's scary accident, but man. Fucking Butch.

Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:32 am
New Server, Same X

There are unfortunate precedents to bad gimmicks and bad names which I feel gives Vince the idea that he can do this to people and make them sink or swim. Austin debuted as The Ringmaster. The Rock as Rocky Maivia. John Cena with the punkass ruthless aggression dude gimmick. Even The Undertaker debuted as Kane the Undertaker, and well... that awful fucking deadman gimmick when you think about it, before he became iconic himself maybe even despite the gimmick.

It's a power move on Vince's part. Hey kid, if you're meant to be a star, you'll get yourself over no matter the name or the gimmick. Yeah maybe that's true, but maybe you don't have to change the dude's name he had just last week on your other WWE-produced show.

Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:47 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Good to hear! And this man is so positive all the time. Many say he's one of the nicest people you can meet, and it's 100% believable.

Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I feel like this was the official "run for the hills" week for WWE talent.

Kevin Owens resigns and does not get a match at Wrestlemania.

Pete Dunn resigns and loses his name.

Big E gets dropped on his head by a guy who has dropped multiple people on their head already.

I really don't even want to watch Mania at this point. Such a far fall from even last year, when Sasha and Bianca tore the house down.

Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:30 pm
100% That Bitch

I mean fracturing C1 ist "good news" but best case scenario for the type of landing he had.

Basically C1 holds all of the weight of the brain + skull + everything else and holds it together so all the nerves can come out of the skull and into the spinal cord. So yes. Not good.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:44 pm
New Server, Same X

I don't talk positive about WWE often, but WWE (WWF at the time) was what I grew up with, and at the time I started watching back in the day, one of the most prominent figures on TV that I loved watching was Razor Ramon. I remember when he was a bad guy (and The Bad Guy), I remember him and Shawn Michaels wrestling in the first ladder match at Wrestlemania X, I remember him getting pinned by the 1-2-3 Kid and the incredulous look on his face after it happened, and I remember him mysteriously disappearing from my TV in the mid-90s (along with Diesel) and getting inexplicably replaced by a Fake Razor Ramon. Little did I know my childhood fave had jumped ship to WCW and helped create the Monday Night Wars.

I did miss the Attitude Era and the nWo days (I rarely saw WCW), but I came back to wrestling in 2002 and who was waiting for me in WWF but Scott Hall himself, along with Hogan and Nash. His presence didn't last long as he was released a few months later but it was still fun seeing him again.

I hope he pulls through as he's currently on life support right now. I've seen a lot of great men and women pass away after seeing them in the ring, but there are a select few that were there prominently when I started watching. Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, The Undertaker, Razor Ramon.

Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:25 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I was never a big Scott Hall/Razor Ramon fan, but he certainly left his mark. The moment with the 123 Kid upset, the amazing ladder match against Michaels at WrestleMania, and of course, being a key figure in how the entire history of pro wrestling was reshaped when he went to WCW.

Hoping for the best.

Also, Mau: I didn't mean to suggest Big E's news was good or anything, or not bad. Only that much of the worst results came back negative. His career is in question, but at least there's potential for recovery and a return down the road.

Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5881 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216 ... 236  Next