Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 5858 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229 ... 235  Next
 Wrestling (WWE, IMPACT, NXT, AEW) 
The Kramer

Post Re: Wrestling (WWE, IMPACT, NXT, AEW)
Well I was wrong. The two obvious winners won and there was no reason to overthink it. It was a pretty good show overall, miles better than last year. Just not sure how they put Cody into the Bloodline story and make it work. He would have been the best choice before this Sami run began.

Logan Paul and Richochet spot was great.

Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:00 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Crazy main event on Dynamite. It's a miracle Darby hasn't had an injury.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I was mostly impressed with the Royal Rumble. We have been so conditioned by Vince McMahon booking that the following outcomes felt like real possibilities: 1. The Rock entering the Rumble and winning; 2. if not The Rock, perhaps Stone Cold; 3. Sami Zayn being in the Rumble and winning, despite not being announced for it, instead of what actually happened after the main event.

I'm not saying Triple H would never do any of these, or that they weren't on the table. But I'm glad it was a reasonable show overall. Cody and Rhea won, which were obvious likely outcomes. The fun parts of each Rumble involved building a real star out of Gunther on the Men's Rumble side, and having Liv Morgan go bell-to-bell with Rhea in the Women's Rumble. Hope both have that boost their spots. Felt like a good vote of confidence for both.

The ending of the show was really perfect. If it leads to Sami and Kevin challenging for the tag titles at Mania, I'm OK with that. But as the dust settles on this road to Mania, it's going to be increasingly interesting to watch each week, on how crowds react when Cody is most assuredly Roman's opponent at Mania and it's not Sami. I don't think it's going to play out well soon having Cody do the usual promos he does. We have Elimination Chamber first, but once we actually get Roman and Cody together, I don't think things are going to run smoothly. At this point, best case would be Roman defending a title on each night, but Cody has already said he's challenging for the WWE Undisputed Universal Championship, or whatever they're calling it. Feels like a perfect time to split the titles up.

Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:19 pm
New Server, Same X

Also, if we really aren't getting Roman and The Rock at all, I have to admit I'm disappointed. It felt like such an obvious match to have. I never wanted it to involve the titles, but I wanted the actual match to happen. If it doesn't happen at Summerslam, I feel like it'll never happen, which is unfortunate.

Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:23 pm
New Server, Same X

I was wondering how they were going to take this to Sami/KO vs. The Usos, especially after Jey walked out of the Rumble, but someone on Twitter makes total sense: Jey will end up costing Sami the title match at the Chamber, which will set up the tag title match at Mania. Smart if it happens, though I think it's going to be rough once Cody is introduced to Roman and audiences realize Sami isn't getting the Undisputed title.

Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:50 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Agreed. Sami is very over, and it doesn't help that there are graphics of Roman vs Cody for Mania already.

I don't think audiences will turn on Cody or anything, but inserting him in here, at this moment, really deflates what they have going on with Sami and the Bloodline. Roman vs Cody doesn't feel too special, and assuming Cody wins, it just feels... forced?

Let's see what they do though. Seems likely it'll go as predicted but maybe they'll be a twist.

So for Mania, we have these likely (or already set) matchups right now, right?

Rey vs Dominik
Lesnar vs Lashley
Logan vs Rollins
Gunther vs Sheamus vs McIntyre (rumored)
Theory vs Cena (barely a rumor but Theory has been going on about it, and if no Rock, then Cena seems likely for that Hollywood spot)
Charlotte vs Rhea
Bianca vs TBD*
Owens/Sami vs Usos
Roman vs Cody

*I assume Asuka based on the 5 Chamber entrants right now but I could see Ronda getting in there and winning (ugh). Although... maybe Iyo/Dakota vs Ronda/Shayna for the Tag Titles?

Becky and Bayley probably need a match.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I think the trouble for Cody is going to get bad once he and Roman are together on the mic. I don't see a compelling storyline, besides his "I'm winning this for Dad!" thing, which I don't think will sustain the audience. I know Cody is capable of solid promos and he's going to need that.

Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:33 pm
The Kramer

Very questionable choice to have The Acclaimed drop the titles to the Ass Boys. I assume they'll win them back at the pay per view but I feel like The Acclaimed are so over that they deserve better than this.

Codys promo with Heyman was fire. They should just have those two feud on raw while Roman and Sami work smackdown.

Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:52 pm
New Server, Same X

Cody and Heyman ignited a feud I didn't think would work. Good on them. It's a long road to Mania but they started things off right.

But the issue continues to be that the road to Mania is a long one. I hope they can sustain it enough to get there without any hiccups.

I read online theories that people are just trying to force fans to hate Cody's spot without justification. I bought that at first, thinking maybe I'm just trying to will it to happen, but WWE's incredible storytelling with Sami and the Bloodline is the problem. What felt like such a silly side story, with Sami joining the Bloodline, became one of the best storylines of the modern era. Feels to me as compelling as Batista turning on H in 2005 or, dare I say it, Daniel Bryan's Yes! movement in 2014. Both of those resulted in Wrestlemania main events. I don't personally think Sami Zayn has been pushed enough to sustain a main event spot, but it's hard to deny the power of the storyline. I hope they have a proper way to edge it towards Sami and KO challenging The Usos without disappointing fans. I assume Jey Uso will play a big part in that.

Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:09 pm
New Server, Same X

I'm not usually one to agree with anti-AEW sentiment, but the Saraya/Toni Storm thing is really weak so far. I hope it leads to something major (someone suggested a Blood and Guts match with all women) but it was a bad way to turn Toni and Saraya heel. Not to mention the commentators are working OVERTIME convincing me that Toni Storm and Ruby Soho are on opposite sides of this homegrown vs. outsider angle when they debuted six months apart.

Not sure what the plan is moving forward with the women's roster. Moving Britt and Jamie to the face side is fun but flipping Toni and Saraya heel isn't working. The best "heel" on that roster now is Jade Cargill, who has had zero interaction with these women as far as I can tell. Might be time to move her away from the TBS Championship and see how she fits with the rest of the women.

Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:39 pm
New Server, Same X

April 22, 2022 was the start of Sami and the Bloodline. What was very likely going to be a throwaway storyline (especially given that it was under Vince at the time) ended up becoming something magical. Less than 20 days prior to that, Sami put over Johnny Knoxville at Wrestlemania. Win or lose tonight, Sami Zayn has been the MVP of this storyline and these past ten months. I'd argue the Bloodline would have become boring without him. It got them to this point. I really hope tonight and these next few weeks to Wrestlemania are incredible for Sami. He's put in many years with WWE and has had little to show for it but he really became a star this year. Good for him.

Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:24 pm
New Server, Same X

Just to add to all this before the Chamber tonight, I really love when something amazing happens in wrestling that no one could have predicted. I am willing to bet money that no one expected the Sami storyline to get to this point when it started last April, and it's a mix of timing, the fans and the people involved. We watch for moments like this because they happen so rarely. Kofimania, The Yes Movement, The Man Becky Lynch, Austin 3:16.

Sami Uso.

Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:11 pm
The Kramer

Kind of a repeat of Clash at the Castle. A mostly excellent ppv somewhat ruined by an "lol Roman wins" even though the crowd 100% deserved to see their hometown hero win. That Montreal crowd brought the heat all night long, but as has been the story of his entire career, Roman Reigns is more important than what the people want.

I also think he's gonna beat Cody at Mania now. :funny:

Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:22 pm
New Server, Same X

If he beats Cody at Mania, I don't even know anymore. The only other conceivable idea is Jey, but how long could they drag that out? It makes a ton of sense considering the storyline they're going with, especially with how it all started in 2020 between them, but man. Cody feels like the guy now.

Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:18 pm
New Server, Same X

I like that it was announced Omos vs. Brock Lesnar might happen at Mania and everyone assumed Vince is back in creative. If anything, that's proof he isn't. No way would he have Brock wrestling Omos. Everyone talking triple threat for the titles at Mania, Vince would have it be Roman vs. Cody vs. Brock.

I feel this is more like Triple H is trying to do what they should have done ages ago with Brock: give him non-championship matches. Some of his title runs were great (some were awful) but he needs more of these type matches. I'm not an Omos fan at all, but better than Brock vs. Roman again.

Though yes, it should be Brock and Lashley. Bray Wyatt and Lashley feels more like a Vince decision. I hope it makes sense soon.

Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:51 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Cody winning at Mania just feels so... anticlimactic though. From the moment his return was announced to be at the Rumble and not a surprise (now reported/rumored to be Cody's call...), to him obviously winning it, and now his one-one-one and likely win over Reigns... It all just feels like they're going off a checklist.

Roman's time at the top might be getting tiresome, but we are still getting some great storylines here (like with Zayne), and I don't think it's run its course quite yet. Could have a Jey story still too.

I'd much rather Roman win at Mania to set up a long-term feud with Cody, bring Cody down from the "chosen one" to more of an underdog role where he could take the title at SummerSlam. (Although I'd rather major title changes start happening at regular PPVs again too).

Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:13 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I still think Sami should have won the title at EC and that they wasted an all time great moment just to preserve Roman's streak, but I'm cool with this Cody storyline so far. All the promos with him have been great. He's the type of guy who can go on Good Morning America and make the WWE look good in the same way that Charlotte does. And it doesn't feel like nepotism, or the title is just being handed to Cody, since we all know that he would never have gotten to this position it not for his success in AEW. I've got it 50/50 now on whether Cody or Roman win which is also pretty exciting. They've won me over again.

Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:43 am
New Server, Same X

Yeah I think Cody is definitely rising to the occasion so far and pretty much proving that Vince McMahon and the WWE Machine don't always dictate who's worth the main event and who's not. Cody went away and became a star on his own and now he's a star in WWE.

I do wonder if a Kenny Omega does jump ship, how that would play out in WWE. Cody has the recognition of already being a WWE guy and being the son of a hall of famer. WWE fans are more likely to either have heard of Omega or have no idea who he is. I don't know how they'd bring him in.

And it sounds like I was 100% wrong about Brock/Omos and Vince. I am totally fine with a non-title picture for Brock, but it's definitely an odd choice.

People like to shit on Bray Wyatt again, much the same way they did when he was The Fiend, but I would have liked seeing Brock play off of Bray, only if Brock was into it (rumours say he wasn't into it at all). Speaking of, it feels like we're in some unfortunate murky terrain with Bray. I have to imagine Alexa Bliss taking time off had a big impact on their Wrestlemania plans for Bray and Uncle Howdy. Too bad because I was excited to see them right the wrongs of Alexa and Bray the first time. Maybe Alexa either didn't want to do it again, or she has diminishing interest in WWE/wrestling.

Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:59 pm
New Server, Same X

It's so insane to me, two and a half years later, what this character change did for Roman Reigns. It doesn't even seem like the same person, between the Tribal Chief and the Big Dog.

That to me is continued proof of Vince's complete inability now to make the right decisions. I know Vince was in charge when Roman started the Tribal Chief gimmick, but he was kept way too long in that Shield gear (long after The Shield disbanded) and the boring Big Dog persona.

And as much as I want the titles to be freed up, I would have been much happier if they split the titles and have him keep the Universal Title, which is the one that has 915+ days. Cause I don't know where he goes from here when he finally loses the titles. He's obviously going to take a long break, but after that, I don't know.

IF he does retain at Wrestlemania (it seems so surreal that I am having this argument for the third consecutive Mania), I have to assume it's going to be Jey Uso that beats him, if they want to go for the satisfying storyline conclusion. I just don't know how you transition Jey into a big main event role, because he's so tied to being a tag team guy.

Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:02 am
New Server, Same X

Mister Ecks wrote:
People like to shit on Bray Wyatt again, much the same way they did when he was The Fiend, but I would have liked seeing Brock play off of Bray, only if Brock was into it (rumours say he wasn't into it at all). Speaking of, it feels like we're in some unfortunate murky terrain with Bray. I have to imagine Alexa Bliss taking time off had a big impact on their Wrestlemania plans for Bray and Uncle Howdy. Too bad because I was excited to see them right the wrongs of Alexa and Bray the first time. Maybe Alexa either didn't want to do it again, or she has diminishing interest in WWE/wrestling.

Piggybacking off my own comment, I have to give Bray plenty of credit for also elevating LA Knight to the main audience. Before the Bray feud, he was gaining some small momentum as he returned to the LA Knight character, but once he was the first major feud for Bray, people noticed him and his talents. Shit on Bray as much as you want, the point of a feud is to elevate both, and it at least elevated Knight, even if he lost their match.

That said, I do want more out of the Bray/Howdy storyline, more answers. I'm still chalking that up to some stalled plans between the Alexa Bliss stuff and the nixed Brock feud.

Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:01 pm
The Kramer

Revolution more like Bricksolution. Loved the Texas Deathmatch and all the creative spots with the bricks. Not something you see everyday. Trios titles were great except for poor Julia getting V-triggered. And Kenny didn't even show remorse! What a jerk, Punk was right about all of them.

Overall one of the better aew ppvs. Had a fast pace to it that most do not.

Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:07 am
100% That Bitch

Tris and lita finallt getting their Wrestlemania moment feels so good

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:02 pm
The Kramer

Mau wrote:
Tris and lita finallt getting their Wrestlemania moment feels so good
Especially good since both women's titles feuds are ice cold.

Bianca v Rhea and Asuka v Ronda would be way better.

Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:32 am
New Server, Same X

Not sure what to make of the Bray Wyatt rumours. If there's any sort of creative unhappiness, I have to assume losing Alexa Bliss and Brock nixing their Mania match didn't play well for him.

The rumours cooled off as the week went on and now sounds like it's a "physical issue". Which I'm almost positive was the same excuse we got two years ago after Wrestlemania why he suddenly disappeared, which eventually led to him being released. I sure hope not, I want to see Wyatt succeed.

Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:28 pm
New Server, Same X

The wait was worth it. KO and Sami 4ever.

Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5858 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229 ... 235  Next