Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The 'Sopranos' Thread ( Season 6 ) 
Extraordinary

Post The 'Sopranos' Thread ( Season 6 )

Quote:
New York Daily News David Hinckley
There's enough classic "Sopranos" action -- some of it involving extreme physical violence -- to remind the average person that where the Sopranos are is not where most of us want to go. Yet at the same time, these episodes repeatedly return to the ways in which the Soprano clan, in its desperate, sometimes twisted and sometimes touching way, seeks to embrace family values.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... 5381c.html

Six more days until one of the greatest television shows ever comes back on, I need some whackin and some gabagoo.

Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:17 pm
Extraordinary

Quote:
San Francisco Chronicle

After a full 21 months in cobwebs, "The Sopranos" returns to HBO on Sunday with a viscerally stunning reminder: It's the best series on television, end of story.

The only series competing at the same creative height as "The Sopranos" are HBO stablemates "The Wire" and "Deadwood," but what creator David Chase has set in motion this season for his mob-and-family epic makes debating this trifecta a hollow exercise. Based on the first four episodes of Season 6, what we're witnessing here is the making of a magnificent bonfire of assured creativity, as Chase burns through episodes to the end of this landmark television series.

Knowing that the series will wrap-up (12 episodes this season, eight more beginning in January) helps forgive a nearly two-year layoff that's not only unheard of but would be completely unacceptable for an inferior series. And yet, within the first few minutes -- and then with an exclamation point at the end -- the first episode jump-starts your brain into remembering how truly great "The Sopranos" really is. From the intricate structure to the nuanced characters to the detail Chase captures in their emotions, there's so much to grab onto here.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... OODMAN.TMP

Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:19 am
Cream of the Crop

I watched the entire series over the past few months just so I could be caught up for season 6. I'm glad it won't disappoint.

"How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Got a, got a compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Working on, working on that for quite some time?"

Battle of the 2005 movies - Vote Now!

Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:47 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Yeah, im watching Season 5 on HBO, they're showing two episodes each day.

Has a 93 with 7 reviews on Metacritic http://www.metacritic.com/tv/shows/sopranosseason6

Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:07 pm
Top Poster

Hopefully there'll be torrents of the episodes every week so I won't have to wait for the DVD.

Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Hopefully there'll be torrents of the episodes every week so I won't have to wait for the DVD.

That's how I get by on The Sopranos. Torrents should be up the very next day after it airs. I also depend on them to get new episodes of The Shield (aka the best show on tv next to The Sopranos). Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

As far as the new season goes, I'm seriously pumped, but it's been so long since it last aired that I really don't remember any of the plot threads. I seem to recall that it ended with Tony going to see Johnny Sac and he booked it when the cops showed up at the house to make arrests. It probably wont take too long to get back in the groove though.

Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

96 with 17 reviews http://www.metacritic.com/tv/shows/sopranosseason6

Emmy? Check
Globe? Check

This is gonna clean house come awards time.

Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:51 pm
Extraordinary

Great start to what looks to be a great season.

"what are the odds of lou gerig dying of lou gerig's disease" classic

Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:15 am
Grill

Great great premiere. Still can't believe Junior shot Tony.

Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:35 pm
Forum General

The sixth-season premiere of HBO's The Sopranos was watched by 9.5 million people, according to Nielsen Research overnight ratings. That's down 25 percent from last seasons premiere in March of 2004.

Sopranos earned a 5.7 household rating/8 share on Sunday, compared to a 7.6/11 for its season five premiere. One reason the HBO drama took a hit in the ratings is because the mafia show no longer has free reign over Sunday nights. Since Sopranos went off the air 18 months ago, ABC has stepped into the arena with a powerful one-two punch of Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy.

It should be noted, though, that this Sunday's Housewives was its lowest rated ever.

Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

It took a few minutes to get back in the groove after such a long absence, but The Sopranos still has the stuff. So many great characters and such wonderful dialogue and what a great cliff-hanger ending! After Tony called to Junior and Junior responded with "who's that?", I swear the thought of him coming down and shooting Tony flew through my head. It was surreal to actually see it happen.

Can't wait to see where they go from here.

Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:55 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Does anyone have a transcript for the "seven souls" narration at the start of the episode?

"How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Got a, got a compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Working on, working on that for quite some time?"

Battle of the 2005 movies - Vote Now!

Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:24 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Does anyone have a transcript for the "seven souls" narration at the start of the episode?
No, but heres a good take on it from Chud

1st- The Director. Sounded like it was your conscious self or intellect. Showed Janice nursing the baby, then Bobby's trains. It talked about how the director pulls all the strings to make the self work. I don't think that this actually suggests Janice manipulating Tony, I think that it's the maternal imagery that is important. Mother/son relationships have always been a powerful element in the show. Along with the Dr. Melfi session later on, it makes me think the writers are trying to remind us about what a strong influence Livia is/was on Tony.

2nd- Energy. The director gives the order, he carries it out. Shows Gene and his wife. Nothing too deep here. Gene's muscle. Tony give the orders, he carries them out.

3rd- The Guardian Angel. Meadow dancing for Finn. Again, pretty straightforward. Finn's relationship with Meadow protects him from Vito. And Meadow is so fucking fuckable.

4th- The Heart. Often treacherous. Ray Curto on the treadmill. Ray's been ratting to the feds for years, and later in the episode his own heart gives out.

5th- The Shadow. Adriana in Carmela's dream. Adriana is the weight of the past that looms over several of the main characters. She is also, apparently the only reliable guide through the land of the dead. So she's got that going for her. Which is nice.

6th- The Devil. Often reaches maturity at the time of bodily death. Shows AJ fucking around in class. I think this could suggest that once Tony is out of commission (either dead or in jail), AJ might get involved in the Life.

7th- The Remains. No explanation, but they go right to Tony and Uncle Jun, who is a shell of his former self.

Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:39 pm
Extraordinary

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:06 am
Grill

Awesome Awesome episode. Nice to see Steve in Tony's coma.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:09 am
Waitress in LA

Thank GOD we are done with Tony's coma/dream sequence. Watching an entire episode of everyone crying over his bloated carcass is WAY too much.

This last one wasnt bad. I like the direction that they are taking Tony's character.

But the whole thing about Pauly's past and Bobby's little side job is just filler that I dont need to see.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:06 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Too funny, good episode.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:05 am
New Server, Same X

Good season so far, but certainly not the best. Hit and miss, for the most part. Yeah, the gay episode "Live Free Or Die" was funny, and Tony getting shot was an interesting plot development, but after catching up on all five seasons over the past month, I can say that I don't enjoy these first seven episodes as much as any of the five seasons. I doubt the show will have a chance in hell at winning Best Drama at the Emmys this year, especially considering that it won't end until 2007. I also don't think Edie Falco or James Gandolfini will win their Emmys. Ian McShane was much better last season on "Deadwood" when he was bedridden, and he didn't win the statuette. Edie Falco has been better, too.

Any ideas on people outside of Gandolfini and Falco who will get nominated? They've been sorta pushing Christopher, Vito, Paulie, and Artie in individual performances. But I doubt anyone besides Imperioli (from this list) will be nominated.

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:20 pm
Extraordinary

Pssh, Sopranos deserve best drama & comedy. It's really been a very solid season imo, two somewhat mediocre episodes aside. Edie Falco has already won her Emmy right at the beginning of the season with Tony in the hospital.

Hope to see Vite or Paulie with a nod, they've been great whenever they had screentime.

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:30 pm
New Server, Same X

Pssh, Sopranos deserve best drama & comedy. It's really been a very solid season imo, two somewhat mediocre episodes aside. Edie Falco has already won her Emmy right at the beginning of the season with Tony in the hospital.

Hope to see Vite or Paulie with a nod, they've been great whenever they had screentime.

Don't get me wrong, I agree! It is a solid season! But... I dunno. It's missing something for me. If Falco OR Gandolfini wins (despite potentially beating out my favorites, Jennifer Garner and Kiefer Sutherland), I'll be more than happy. They deserve it. I guess I might be just focusing on the mediocre episodes.

I've always loved Paulie, so a nod for Tony Sirico would be great.

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:40 pm
Extraordinary

This season has a different feel from the others, thats for sure. Will see how the rest of the season plays out, I think the reason for this is because of those extra 8 episodes HBO squeezed out of Chase, he's trying to go at a different pace since now they gotta do another 8. Those should be something really special.

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:51 pm
New Server, Same X

It's been almost one entire year, but this Sunday is the first of the final episodes of The Sopranos. After what I would consider a lackluster first part of the sixth season, I hope the final episodes are classic Sopranos.

Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:59 pm
Stanley Cup

lets hope it makes up for the just absolutely boring first part of the season.

Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:37 pm
Star Trek XI

lets hope it makes up for the just absolutely boring first part of the season.

Same here.

When this show first started, it was like the best thing on T.V. Lately it has become a giant soap opera. I only care to see how it all ends.

Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Fairy decent, nothing outstanding but decent. I think they threw things out the window too quickly(like the fight at dinner), but I thought it was better than any of the first half of this season, which I thought was very weak.

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next