Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Starved/It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia 
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Starved/It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
I don't know if anybody watched either of these, FX's two new comedies.

Starved, I thought, kinda stunk. Wasn't very funny, and it was saddled with some of the most annoying pricks passing for characters I've ever seen.

But It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is hilarious. Really hilarious. ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT hilarious. Seriously. Last week's abortion episode was the stuff of legend. The show has a very distinct, cynical, rough tone. Think SEINFELD in a garbage dump. In other words, very Curb Your Enthusiasm-y. But darker.

I fear FX will smother it in the middle of the night with a pillow, as they did the dearly departed LUCKY.

There's a new episode of IASIP tonight after the new Rescue Me. Give it a try, if you haven't.

Don't worry about Starved.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:04 am
New Server, Same X

I was curious about these shows, considering the success of FX's other shows (The Shield, Nip/Tuck, Rescue Me). Although, I also recall Son of the Beach a few years back on FX, so I don't know if FX has a great track record with comedies like it does with dramas.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:08 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Well, to the best of the my knowledge, FX has only had four comedies, two prior to this: Son of The Beach and Lucky.

Son of the Beach was an unwatchable disaster.

Lucky, with John Corbett, was a small comic gem, and FX snuffed out because they had nothing to air with it.

Starved is pretty bad thus far, but I'm willing to give it 2 or 3 more weeks.

But It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, as far as I'm concerned, is approaching ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT territory after only two episodes.

I doubt it's long for this world, though. They've only aired twice, and it's already changed nights (Thursday to Tuesday) and they've flip-flopped Starved and IASIP...IASIP now airs first.

Try to catch it tonight, Mr. X. 11pm. If that's impossible, tape it. :shades:

That goes for anyone else who happens to read this. You'll thank me. I'd love to hear other opinions.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:11 pm
Forum General

Yeah, I didn't watch Starved as most of the reviews I read for it were generally negative.

I did catch the first episode of It's Always Sunny, though, and thought it was pretty great. I missed last week's but thanks for the clue-in about tonight's; I didn't even know it switched nights.

I'll be watching.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

:mad: Apparently Dish Network wasn't up to date with FX's little switcheroo, as it still listed tonight's programming as Over There and Rescue Me.

Hence my not seeing those on the programming guide. And not watching till I saw that Starved was, indeed, on.

Oh, well. Hey yoshue, happen to know when they re-air It's Always Sunny?

Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:24 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

I watched both. Starved was very mediocre, too bleak and offensive for its own good. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was fairly funny, though. I'm not sure either will last long, as they are apparently getting rather low ratings.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:08 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Last night's IASIP wasn't as funny as the abortion episode, but it was still awfully funny. I'm finding myself massively in love with this shaggy dog of a show.

Dkmuto, according to the confusing online schedule, this week's episode will be repeated this Thursday at 10:30, in the "normal" time slot. And then the abortion ep follows at 11:30. You'll have to do an "avoid Starved" dance, but it's worth it.

And I guess I spoke too soon about the time slot change. Next week, the new episode will air on Thursday, not Tuesday as it did this week. It's all kinda baffling. :unsure:

I guess FX just wanted to give the shows extra exposure. But still....

Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:34 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/newswire.cgi?id=6962

That says the time slots HAVE been moved to Tuesday, which ignores the "Next Thursday" clip package shown last night. Whatever. They're killing me.

Either way, the repeats definitely run tomorrow. After that.....we shall see.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:58 pm
New Server, Same X

Damn, missed it again. Try again tomorrow night, I guess.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:24 pm
Forum General

I watched the abortion episode tonight and recorded Tuesday's.

I didn't think it was as good as the first episode, but I laughed. I still like it.

Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:34 am
Profile WWW
Grill

Starved is funny, but It's Always Sunny In Philidalphia is hilarious. I love it!

Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]