Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 The Incredibles 

What grade would you give this film?
A 71%  71%  [ 32 ]
B 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 45

The Incredibles 
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

I would just like to throw a sentence out there and see if it sparks some decent conversation.

" I am respect Pixar because they had a very strong message in this movie, that does not really resonate with mindset of today's culture. The message of the film to me was, that some people are naturally better than others."

Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

A+

one of the best of 04 :cool:

Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:23 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

Second Best Pixar movie! behind Nemo, Beautiful Graphics, great story, very funny, amazing action sequences

A+ for me :D

Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:55 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I would just like to throw a sentence out there and see if it sparks some decent conversation.

" I am respect Pixar because they had a very strong message in this movie, that does not really resonate with mindset of today's culture. The message of the film to me was, that some people are naturally better than others."

Oh yeeeeaaahhh...in today's culture no one feels they are better than anyone else! That's why we don't have any racial divisions or class tension or corperate structuring...oh wait :roll:

Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:47 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

One of the best films of 2004!

Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:19 pm
La Bella Vito

This film was a joy to watch from start to finish. Although its Pixars longest film to date, it never seems overlong or boring. The visuals are stunning, and beautiful. This is by far my most favorite Pixar film. It's not laugh out loud funny, but it is entertaining, witty, and very interesting to watch. The action sequences are very good, and I especially loved the final showdown at the end, and the scene when Mr. Incredible first goes to the island to destroy the robot. The film also has alot of likeable characters including the Parr family, and the hilarious Edna, and the very hysterical babysitter Kari. The thing I liked most about this movie was its message. It shows a mother on many occasions sacrificing herself for her family, and I thought that was brilliant. The score is really good here too, very upbeat when it needs to be, and slow as well. I hope they make a sequel, because I really loved everything about this film. It really had no flaws in my opinion. The pacing is perfect, and the story is as well. The characters are developed just right, and I thought the action sequences were spectacular. No other animation studio can come close to Pixar, they are without a doubt masters of what they do, and The Incredibles is no exception.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:38 am
Profile YIM WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Very enjoyable movie! Part Fantastic Four, part James Bond (a big part of it), and even a pinch of Indiana Jones thrown in. Who couldn't like that?

A-

Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:46 am
Extra on the Ordinary

Not as good as Pixar's previous, Finding Nemo, but up there.

Best Actress 2008

Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

9/10 (A) - One of the best films of 2004.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:13 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Sadly, The Incredibles is not that incredible.

I have been out to every Pixar movie on opening day, and have to say that this is their weakest effort so far. I think the main problem is that Brad Bird doesn't seem to know when to say when - this movie is 30 minutes too long. Sure the animation is mind-blowing - especially some of the island scenery and action scenes - I expect nothing less from Pixar, but the story is needlessly drawn out with way too much backstory - Okay, Okay, we get it that Mr. Incredible is dissatisfied with his non-super lifestyle, let's get on with the show! The story is too adult for small kids and general adult audiences aren't probably going to go out of their way to see it - so there's not going to be any kind of Finding Nemo box office #'s for this one. (Even worse, the preview for Pixar's next movie Cars looks really lame!)

3 out of 5.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:33 am
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Fantastic. Funny, witty, and original while still paying homage to James Bond and other action movies. The movie also has a very strong emotional core, which was what I loved about Finding Nemo. I wasn't expecting to like The Incredibles as much as I did, but Pixar once again strikes gold.

A+ and top 10 of 2004.

Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I liked it, but I'm not joining the lovefest for it here. It was better than A Bug's Life and the first Toy Story movie, but still way worse than Toy Story 2. All in all a really decent movie that had surprisingly lots of action for a CGI animated flick. I liked the allusions and hommages to various Bond flicks and different comic superheroes. The animation was really good (even though I think it can be improved in the future) and the movie overall was interesting. My major complaint is that there wasn't nearly as much humor in it as I have hoped. Definitely not a good comedy. It made up for that with great action, though. My other complaint is that it didn't have enough of Frozone who was probably the movie's coolest character (no pun intended Image). On the whole, the characters were well-developed. The score wasn't really great, but mostly fit the movie.

It's entertaining and I can imagine that younger kids love it a whole lot.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:02 am
Profile WWW

By far one of the best animated movies ever, how the hell it got three F I will never know, number 83 of all time

A

Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:59 am
Devil's Advocate

Overrated. The animation is good yes, the characters are decent, but its nowhere near as fun as it should be. Lots of action that is and all, but animation like this should make you laugh with it too. Hence why Finding Nemo was so fantastic. Not only did the animation, character development, and action hold up, it was as much fun and as enjoyable as can be. Incredibles pales when compared. Pixars least movie enjoyable by far for me.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:27 am

C+

Overrated. The animation is good yes, the characters are decent, but its nowhere near as fun as it should be. Lots of action that is and all, but animation like this should make you laugh with it too. Hence why Finding Nemo was so fantastic. Not only did the animation, character development, and action hold up, it was as much fun and as enjoyable as can be. Incredibles pales when compared. Pixars least movie enjoyable by far for me.

but this one had what most animated movies lack......quality.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:43 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I liked it, but I didn't buy into the idea that it was any timeless classic. Pixar has done better. Last 30 minutes were aces, though.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:46 pm
loyalfromlondon

Easily one of Pixar's best. Not necessarily the funniest, but probably the most entertaining and the most mature. A great mishmash of 007 and superheroes, with equal doses of laugh-out-loud humour and smart, poignant wit. The characters all feel real and the great voice performances only add to that, but it's the superb script that manages to make these superheroes human. Terrific action scenes and a fantastic musical score also contribute to the overall excellent quality. It is perhaps a bit light on comedy, but it's still lots of fun and definitely one of the better animated films of all time.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun May 13, 2007 12:31 pm
Stanley Cup

B+

Sun May 13, 2007 1:43 pm
Devil's Advocate

Adding to that old review, for me it's not just that it was a non-comedic animated film, it's that it felt like the film didn't know it wanted to be non-comedic. It still had all the lightness and kiddie traits of the other Pixars, it just had no funny. As a result, it didn't seem as much of a serious Pixar offering, as it did a light one that didn't have jokes. It just felt confused, and as a result I feel it's one of the most overrated films of this decade.

I'm looking forward to Wall-E though, where Pixar will actually be trying their hand at depth, message, and drama in their art. My most anticipated of next year.

Sun May 13, 2007 4:41 pm
Begging Naked

Second best animated film of the decade only to Spirited Away, and in my Top 5 of 2004.

****/****

Sun May 13, 2007 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

You people disgust me.

****/****

I will echo your disgust remark.

You people need to look in the mirrors and discover why you're taking out your frustration for your lack of funnyness on such a good movie as The Incredibles.

:glare:

Sun May 13, 2007 5:33 pm
Extraordinary

Positive* Jon wrote:
You people disgust me.

****/****

I will echo your disgust remark.

You people need to look in the mirrors and discover why you're taking out your frustration for your lack of funnyness on such a good movie as The Incredibles.

Yow. I think we're going to have to keep a closer eye on Squee's psychology in future...

Sun May 13, 2007 7:05 pm
Speed Racer

I think people read too much into the whole "supers" idea. The spirit of the film seemed to make super powers into a secret geekiness/ personal eccentricity rather than natural superiority. If anything, I felt that the treatment of the subject matter made being a superhero borderline mundane. As far as Mr Incredible goes, you could tell a similar story of nostalgia and lost glory by replacing "being a superhero" with "being a high school quarterback" or "being a former soap actor". The importance of Mr Incredible was not the fact that he used to be a superhero, but the fact that he feels inferior to his own past self - to the point where he lets his past become more important than the present, and nearly loses the latter in a lame (undignified) attempt to recapture the former.

And as for the kids, having super powers was just like being a "brainiac" - a trade off between social acceptance and the capability to succeed. They made me think of children who get bullied because their parents make them learn piano (the same children who, a decade down the line, wow the ladies by walking into a bar that happens to have one, and knocking out an improptu jazz number).

Rather than saying that

"the message of the film... was, that some people are naturally better than others,"

I'd say that the message of the film was simply that, sometimes, people don't realise they have something special because they're yearning for something else. The film is a clarion call to appreciate what's special in your life.

Mon May 14, 2007 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Bump... to try and reassess all the love for Brad Bird being strewn about here lately...

In re-reading this thread, The Incredibles got decidely mixed reviews -- whereas, now only the good reviewers seem to keep championing it.

As my review here shows, I was underwhelmed by Bird's work, as I was with Iron Giant -- both are merely good movies. It was not until this summer's Ratatouille that he truly burst out of his shell and hit one out of the park. I'll be eternally grateful for his gift of Ratatouille, but I just want to keep his legacy in perspective...

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:38 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

WHAT THE HELL!!!

This is by far the best Pixar film I have seen.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next