Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Cars 

What grade would you give this film?
A 51%  51%  [ 24 ]
B 32%  32%  [ 15 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 47

Cars 
College Boy Z

Post Cars
Cars

Quote:
Cars is a 2006 American animated family film produced by Pixar and directed by both John Lasseter and Joe Ranft. It is the seventh Disney·Pixar feature film, and Pixar's final, independently-produced motion picture before its purchase by Disney. Set in a world populated entirely by anthropomorphic cars and other vehicles, it features voices by Owen Wilson, Paul Newman (in his final non-documentary feature), Bonnie Hunt, Cheech Marin, Jenifer Lewis, Tony Shalhoub, John Ratzenberger, George Carlin, Larry the Cable Guy and Michael Keaton as well as voice cameos by several celebrities including Jeremy Piven, Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear, Richard Petty, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Bob Costas, Darrell Waltrip, Jay Leno, Michael Schumacher, Tom and Ray Magliozzi from NPR's Car Talk, and Mario Andretti. The film is also the second Pixar—after A Bug's Life—to have an entirely non-human cast.

Cars premiered on May 26, 2006 at Lowe's Motor Speedway in Concord, North Carolina, and was released on June 9, 2006, to generally favorable reviews. It was nominated for two Academy Awards, including Best Animated Feature, and won the Golden Globe Award for Best Animated Feature Film. It was released on DVD November 7, 2006 and on Blu-ray Disc in late 2007. Related merchandise, including scale models of several of the cars, broke records for retail sales of merchandise based on a Disney·Pixar film, with an estimated $5 billion in sales.

A sequel, Cars 2, is currently in production and set for release on June 24, 2011.

Last edited by zingy on Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:09 pm
Commander and Chef

http://www.worldofkj.com/reviews/Arsalan/cars.php

A+

Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

if found it boring compared to all other pixar flicks. it has that little "lost your way" theme that makes it watchablebut the racing easly the best.

Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:18 pm
Kiera Knightly is my lady!

Well I saw an advanced screening last night.
All I can say is wow!
It was so good. The audience loved it to, including a tractor tipping part where the audince laughed and clapped.
The movie was funny and touching at the same time. The animation was incredible and it was a feel good time at the movies.
The ending is not what you expect it to be!

Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
Fairly adult story. I would rate its emotional resonance near Toy Story II.

Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:46 pm
why so serious?

The bad news about Cars: It doesn't build on Pixar's previous work, and it's probably even their weakest outing yet.
The good news about Cars: It's a terrific movie well worth seeing.

While it doesn't match up with its Pixar siblings, Cars is most certainly not the end of Pixar's enviable winning streak of quality entertainment. The movie looks incredible, and the characters are likable. Really, the only problem I spotted was that it ran for too long. Now, if the movie is well paced, running time is a problem. However, Cars does not have the best pacing, which makes it slow in spots. However, that was pretty much the only big error in the film. All said, Cars is lots of fun.

A-

My Other Pixar Grades (Just for Reference):

Toy Story- A
A Bug's Life- A-
Toy Story 2- A
Monsters, Inc.- A-
Finding Nemo- A
The Incredibles- A

Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:51 pm
The French Dutch Boy

Review? Grade? I like to hear what you have to say.

PEACE, Mike.

Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:16 pm
Extraordinary

Having seen every single Pixar movie on opening day, I have to say I am majorly disappointed with Cars.

What a slow, slow, slow story. And worse - unfunny! I laughed exactly once during the entire movie, when there was a close-up of the bugs at the closed down motel (mind you, the closing credit were hilarious).

Sure, the sentimental stuff got through to me here and there - but trimming a full half hour out of this movie would have done it a world of good.

Maybe I'm just grumpy, because I was expecting a more upbeat and humorous story, but I've got to rate this:

2 out of 5.

(PS: Of course, the animation is mind-blowingly beautiful - the new bleeding edge, and a calling card for where animation is headed - but I expect no less from Pixar in that department. Problem is, I also have very high expectations in their storytelling ability based on their previous masterpieces.)

Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:17 pm
Begging Naked

Critics thought it was dissapointing. Shouldn't Bradly love it then?

Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon wrote:

PEACE, Mike.

solid A.

I agree with those who say Cars isn't the funniest film. It isn't and you know what, it's not supposed to be. It's a story of responsibility and longing for a place in this fast paced world, a story disguised as a children's film.

Remove the pixels, and you have a live-action film that could have been directed by James L Brooks or Cameron Crowe.

Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:38 pm
Extraordinary

MikeQ. wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

PEACE, Mike.

solid A.

I agree with those who say Cars isn't the funniest film. It isn't and you know what, it's not supposed to be. It's a story of responsibility and longing for a place in this fast paced world, a story disguised as a children's film.

Remove the pixels, and you have a live-action film that could have been directed by James L Brooks or Cameron Crowe.

Try Miyazaki - he does that "responsibility and longing disguised as a children's film" - only difference is, that he makes it enchantingly entertaining...

Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:42 pm

Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:43 pm
Commander and Chef

Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

how many people noticed that the rocky hills were all vintage racing cars?? and the clouds in the sky were like tire tracks??

and how many of you guys picked on Larry the cable guy's famous one liners?

Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
htm

ok ok ok quick poll

how many people noticed that the rocky hills were all vintage racing cars?? and the clouds in the sky were like tire tracks??

Noticed the mountain that looked like a vintage car... yes... at least once...

Quote:
and how many of you guys picked on Larry the cable guy's famous one liners?

Unfortunately.

I still adored this. It really is difficult to stop The Incredibles and Nemo, two of the finest films of all time... but this one manages to be pretty fantastic. I'd say its one of the best films of the year thus far... giving it an A/A- would technically put it on top. This one is not to be missed. Fantastic imagery and an enjoyable time. Very enjoyable.

Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:35 pm
Extraordinary

me no likie Miyazaki

No problem with the opinion, but what's up with the mocking?

Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:15 am
Homo Dperious

Try Miyazaki - he does that "responsibility and longing disguised as a children's film" - only difference is, that he makes it enchantingly entertaining...

His films are actually usually made for everyone. In Japan animated movies are not associated with kids as they are here.

But otherwise I completely agree.

Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:52 am
Profile ICQ
Extraordinary

bradley witherberry wrote:

His films are actually usually made for everyone. In Japan animated movies are not associated with kids as they are here.

But otherwise I completely agree.

Have you seen Cars yet?

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:10 am
Extraordinary

Someone on the radio said this, but is Cars really a rip off of Doc Hollywood (eeriely similar)??? :huh:

Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:41 am
Profile WWW
Site Owner

Loved Cars. I would give it a solid A, I went to see it with 4 friends, all around my age, all enjoyed it throughly.

I don't understand why a lot of critics said the middle was slow. The movie was funny and enteraining. Not the best Pixar film, but a solid film, met my expectations, kept me entertained, and I look forward to adding it to my DVD collection.

I would give it a solid A. Probably the best film I have seen thus far this year, though I am having a hard time remembering what I have seen. Off the top of my head:

Poseidon
The Break Up
V for Vendetta
Da Vinci Code
United 93
Inside Man

I think that's it.

I would rank them:

1 - Cars (A)
2 - V for Vendetta (A-)
3 - United 93 (B+)
4 - The Break Up (B+)
5 - Inside Man (B-)
6 - Da Vinci Code (B-)
7 - Poseidon (C)

Enjoyed all of them.

Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Eagle, you haven't seen M:I-3? Get to it, as long as it's still in theatres!

Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

Well. I just got back form a 3:00 showing, and the kids in the audience weren't nearly as bad as I was anticipating. The short in the beginning was a large step down form Boundin' but it was still a nice kickoff to the movie nevertheless. As for the movie...don't mistake it for a kids film. There aren't enough laughs for kids, and the length might make some grow restless. It isn't Pixar's weakest, but it is far from their strongest (Nemo by a landslide). Larry the Cable Guy certainly did surprise me. Not like Degeneres, but he did the part VERY well. Mater was the most memorable charater in the movie. I think that's what is missing form this movie, as opposed to Pixar's others. All had memorable characters. The Incedibles (duh), Nemo, Dory, Crush, Boo, Sully, Mike, Buzz, Woody, etc. Aside from Incredibles (IMO) all of their other films had a lot of secondary characters that didn't seem like just filler. They added a lot fo depth. It seemed the characters in Cars did not have the depth of Pixar's movies.

Of course, that's just Pixar. It's still a very good movie, and it has some pretty resounding emotional tugs. I'd definitely recomend it. I barely give it an A-.

Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:57 pm
problem?

Inearabouthatedit.Okay,Ididn'thateit,butIbarelylikedit.Unfunny,notacharacterIgaveaflipaboutand oneofPixar'sworststories.OvertheHedgewasatrilliontimesbetterandgaveusoneofthegreatestCGIcharacters ever.

IhatetogiveaPixarfilmaC,butitjustwasn'tentertaining.It'sdefinitely well-madeandlookedprettygood,butitjustwasn'tthatfun.

Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:17 pm
Commander and Chef

Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

My least favorite Pixar movie so far, but I still loved it. Breathtaking animation, strong voice-over work, amusing comedy ("People are going to think you're crazy if you keep talking to yourself" "What?" "What? I wasn't talking to you") and very heartfelt. A-

Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next