Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 676, 677, 678, 679, 680, 681, 682 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
Waitress in LA

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Weekend Forecast??? (01/23-24)
Corpse wrote:
And I also believe manga sales are near all-time highs in the U.S. as well. So much has been out of stock (everywhere!) since mid-December, so for 5-6 weeks now. I still have orders pending fulfillment dating back to Dec. 14th. I've never see this, and I've been buying manga since 2006/2007.

I won't disagree that manga sales are at highs, but the entire print industry is suffering due to lack of printing capacity, which is pushing re-prints back further and further. See this NY Times article back in August.

Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:30 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Weekend Forecast??? (01/23-24)
ultimatemegax wrote:
Corpse wrote:
And I also believe manga sales are near all-time highs in the U.S. as well. So much has been out of stock (everywhere!) since mid-December, so for 5-6 weeks now. I still have orders pending fulfillment dating back to Dec. 14th. I've never see this, and I've been buying manga since 2006/2007.

I won't disagree that manga sales are at highs, but the entire print industry is suffering due to lack of printing capacity, which is pushing re-prints back further and further. See this NY Times article back in August.

Thank you very much for posting this article. I read quite a bit (not just manga), so I'm not sure how I never came across this. I even work for Barnes & Noble (hiring department now) and didn't receive any emails on this, though I guess they'd be forwarded to the stores and warehouses themselves. Not surprised COVID has slowed things down, but didn't think it would have impacted printing at such a level.

I'm probably just going to begin pre-ordering as soon as books/manga go up for pre-order from this point on now. But if pre-ordering catches on big due to print slowdown, I also wonder if that, too, will become a problem and result in canceled orders.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Weekend Estimates (01/23-24)
Weekend Estimates (01/23-24):
01 (01) ¥189,000,000 ($1.8 million), -07%, ¥36,545,000,000 ($349.6 million), Demon Slayer: Mugen Train (Toho/Aniplex) WK15
02 (03) ¥114,000,000 ($1.1 million), +18%, ¥1,615,000,000 ($15.6 million), Poupelle of Chimney Town (Toho) WK5
03 (02) ¥105,000,000 ($1.0 million), -30%, ¥1,055,000,000 ($10.2 million), Gintama: The Final (Warner Bros.) WK3
04 (---) ¥x85,000,000 ($820,000), 0, ¥115,000,000 ($1.1 million), The Night Beyond the Tricornered Window (Shochuku) NEW
05 (04) ¥x63,000,000 ($610,000), -08%, ¥3,720,000,000 ($35.1 million), New Interpretation Records of the Three Kingdoms (Toho) WK7
06 (06) ¥x57,000,000 ($550,000), +01%, ¥1,425,000,000 ($13.8 million), Pokemon: Coco (Toho) WK5
07 (05) ¥x56,000,000 ($540,000), -09%, ¥1,740,000,000 ($16.8 million), The Promised Neverland (Toho) WK6
08 (08) ¥x26,000,000 ($250,000), +05%, ¥2,670,000,000 ($25.8 million), Stand By Me, Doraemon 2 (Toho) WK9
09 (07) ¥x22,000,000 ($210,000), -53%, ¥100,000,000 ($1.0 million), Natsume's Book of Friends: Waking Rock and Strange Visitor (Aniplex) WK2
10 (09) ¥x19,000,000 ($185,000), -20%, ¥315,000,000 ($3.0 million), Peninsula (Gaga) WK4

Obviously not as strong as I was forecasting (mostly guessing) from the Saturday pre-sales that I miscalculated, but still a incredibly strong weekend that it's line with how strong the weekdays that proceeded it were. Over the past full week, most films have been remaining quite flat or experiencing either small increases or decreases. I can understand why the weekends would be abnormally strong right now (since the restrictions makes seeing a movie over the weekdays very difficult or even impossible for most), but audiences are coming out big over the weekdays as well, which I can't really explain.

Demon Slayer: Mugen Train achieves its 15th-consecutive weekend atop the box office, and earned the fourth biggest fifteenth weekend ever as well with an outstanding sub-10% hold. It should exceed ¥37 billion in the next two weeks, setting up what should be its final goal of reaching the ¥38 billion (~$365 million). However, if these types of weekday and weekend holds (and increases) continue for awhile, we'll have to up that final target once again, especially if the Demon Slayer Festival on Feb. 13-14th delivers an announcement that could positively impact its run as well.

Poupelle of Chimney Town enjoyed the best increase this weekend, just as it experienced the best decrease last weekend. WOM has really kicked in for this film, so expect a very long run for this one. ¥2 billion (~$20 million) is pretty much locked up now, so let's see if it can go further and approach the ¥2.5 billion (~$25 million) mark now.

Gintama: The Final has already matched (depending on the actual, may have exceeded) the gross of the first Gintama movie after just three weeks in release. An exclusive double-sided poster (in collaboration with Demon Slayer) will be given out to moviegoers next weekend, so it'll be hoping to see solid fourth weekend as well. ¥1.71 billion is needed to outgross Gintama: The Final Chapter, and it looks good in doing so and should approach the ¥2 billion (~$20 million) milestone.

The Night Beyond the Tricolored Window missed the Top 3 and probably missed opening above ¥100 million as well, but this would still be a decent debut. January is one of those months that studios place their low-expectation films, and this is just one of those cases.

New Interpretation Records of the Three Kingdoms, like almost every other film in release right now, enjoyed very strong weekdays and an excellent hold this weekend and has put the ¥4 billion (~$40 million) milestone back into play. In fact, as long as it doesn't suddenly collapse this week, it's almost locked up with how strong this past week was. And since it looks like few Hollywood films are going to be released once again this year with a lot of new delays (even films being pushed to 2022...), look for this one to have a safe position in the 2021 Yearly Top 10.

The Promised Neverland is back on track to reaching the ¥2 billion (~$20 million) milestone again after also benefitting from how strong the past week has been. Just last week, its chances of reaching the mark were slim, but now it's looking pretty likely.

This past week did a lot to allow many films to get back on track to reaching their various milestones.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:14 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Most Weeks at #1
Most Weekends at #1 (1998-)

22 - Titanic (1997)
18 (2 from re-release) - Spirited Away (2001)
16 - Frozen (2014)
15 - Demon Slayer: Mugen Train (2020)
14 - Armageddon (1998)
13 (9-consecutive) - Your Name. (2016)
10 - Avatar (2009)
9 - Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
9 - Bayside Shakedown: Save the Rainbow Bridge! (2003)
9 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)
9 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
9 - Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)
8 - The Eternal Zero (2013)
8 - The Wind Rises (2013)
8 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
8 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2004)
7 - Beauty and the Beast (2017)
7 - Alice in Wonderland (2010)
7 - Hero (2007)
7 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
7 - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2003)
7 - Spider-Man (2002)
7 - The Sixth Sense (1999)
6 - Big Hero 6 (2014)
6 - Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
6 - Umizaru: The Last Message (2010)
6 - 20th Century Boys: The Last Chapter (2009)
6 - Ponyo (2008)
6 - The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2006)
6 - Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)
6 - Finding Nemo (2003)
6 - Monsters, Inc. (2002)
6 - The Matrix (1999)
6+

So crunch time. Can it get 16 or more? 16.... I think so. There are three wide releases next weekend, but only Loved Like a Flower Bouquet stands a chance of dethroning it I think. It's on a whopping 351 screens, which I believe is a record for the independent Tokyo Theaters, Co. and Little More.

But if it holds on and does reach 16, then that *should* be it (at least consecutively). Fable 2 was oddly pushed back from Feb. 5th this past week, but Toei moved Jukai Village up to Feb. 5th in response. And Toei is going all out with it by giving it 421(!) screens which includes 81 4DX locations. It's the follow-up to last year's Howling Village, which was a critical and box office success, so there's a lot of goodwill to carry over.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Weekend Estimates (01/23-24)
Pretty good holds for many films.

Hey Corpse I have a question, is there any Hollywood film to be released in Japan in coming weeks/months?
IMDb lists nothing big untill march, when Raya and the Last Dragon, Monster Hunter and Godzilla vs Kong are scheduled, but of course it all could cahnge.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:58 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Also, yesterday was the first day since Jan. 12th that Tokyo saw under 1,000 cases and the country under 4,000 cases. Don't want to jinx it, but cases have been gradually declining over the past week.

So the current restrictions that were recommended on Jan. 7th in the 11 prefectures is unlikely to extend beyond the scheduled Feb. 7th deadline. This is likely good news for the 2021 Tokyo Olympics as well.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

ARQandARG wrote:
Pretty good holds for many films.

Hey Corpse I have a question, is there any Hollywood film to be released in Japan in coming weeks/months?
IMDb lists nothing big untill march, when Raya and the Last Dragon, Monster Hunter and Godzilla vs Kong are scheduled, but of course it all could cahnge.

February has 34 theatrical releases on the calendar, 13 wide and 21 limited, but none are from Hollywood.

March has Raya and the Last Dragon, Monster Hunter, Tom and Jerry, and the latest Thomas the Tank Engine (not sure who makes those films though). So it's at least not devoid of Hollywood releases.

Godzilla vs. Kong doesn't have a release date in Japan yet, and HBO Max doesn't exist, so probably an error by IMDb. Toho has the rights to the film Japan, so they'll probably release it in the summer.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

¥184mn and mobilization of 112k people this weekend for Demon Slayer
Total : 26,67M admissions and more than ¥36,5Bn

Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:45 am
Full Fledged Member

Speaking of Godzilla vs. Kong what has the reaction been to the trailer in Japan--If anything substantial to go by?

Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:44 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

gman2887 wrote:
Speaking of Godzilla vs. Kong what has the reaction been to the trailer in Japan--If anything substantial to go by?

I haven't read anything too negative, besides the usual "doesn't look like Godzilla".

I haven't watched the trailer yet, but here are some reoccurring comments from Japanese social media:

-A lot of MechaGodzilla discussion. They seem convinced he's in the film. I haven't seen the trailer yet, so maybe he does appear or the storyline suggests he will.
-I am team Godzilla, but is he a villain now?! And other comments about how he was attacking a city (or cities) now when he didn't in the first two films.
-Several comments about how most modern VS films have sucked. Some are expecting another disappointment on that front, while others are hoping for a better outcome.
-Good movie for the Olympics.
-Looks interesting, exciting.
-Size discussion. Many people saying Godzilla looks too small and Kong too big. Sizes seemingly change throughout the film, and several are asking how they could both stand on an aircraft carrier just fine.
-Talk about wanting to see it in theaters.

So a lot of speculating and curious reactions I'd say. The goal will be to motivate all these on-the-fence people to check it out.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:32 am
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

to be honest, I think that the trailer isn't good.
I felt like I already watched the whole movie by just watching the trailer. And that doesn't scream good story telling to me. But hey, people do like movies about mindlessly fighting etch.
Like how Batman vs Superman got almost 900 million USD (and got almost 25 million USD in Japan).

Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:56 am
The Incredible Hulk

"Demon Slayer" helps Japan print sales see smallest drop since 2006

Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:07 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Very nice. :thumbsup:

Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

ren0080 wrote:
I felt like I already watched the whole movie by just watching the trailer. And that doesn't scream good story telling to me. But hey, people do like movies about mindlessly fighting etch.
Like how Batman vs Superman got almost 900 million USD (and got almost 25 million USD in Japan).

I watched the trailer a few times earlier. I agree that it's not very good. It's okay, I'll definitely check it out (not on HBO Max though), but will go into with reserved expectations. That said, I really enjoyed King of the Monsters, so if it works as a fair sequel to it, I'll probably enjoy it.

Also, after watching the trailer a few times, I'm pretty certain that the "Godzilla" we're seeing isn't actually Godzilla. There is a very short (like 1 second) upward shot near the beginning that looks strikingly similar to MechaGodzilla, so I agree with those saying he's going to be in the film. It also explains why "Godzilla" is suddenly attacking humanity (which the characters specifically question in the trailer). Charles Dance's character, and their associated group from the last film, almost certainly created this fake Godzilla (MechaGodzilla) we're seeing given their goal was to wipe out humanity to save humanity using the Titans (Kaiju) in the story.

It would have made more sense to have gone with MechaGhidorah (since one of his heads survived in the last film, and he can regenerate, etc.), but maybe they felt MechaGodzilla would be more appealing. I guess they could explain that they used Ghidorah's regenerative cells from his severed head or whatever and fused them with Godzilla's DNA (gathered from their fight) to create MechaGodilla or something. Unless we get both? Who knows.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Corpse wrote:
ren0080 wrote:

I watched the trailer a few times earlier. I agree that it's not very good. It's okay, I'll definitely check it out (not on HBO Max though), but will go into with reserved expectations. That said, I really enjoyed King of the Monsters, so if it works as a fair sequel to it, I'll probably enjoy it.

Also, after watching the trailer a few times, I'm pretty certain that the "Godzilla" we're seeing isn't actually Godzilla. There is a very short (like 1 second) upward shot near the beginning that looks strikingly similar to MechaGodzilla, so I agree with those saying he's going to be in the film. It also explains why "Godzilla" is suddenly attacking humanity (which the characters specifically question in the trailer). Charles Dance's character, and their associated group from the last film, almost certainly created this fake Godzilla (MechaGodzilla) we're seeing given their goal was to wipe out humanity to save humanity in the story.

It would have made more sense to have gone with MechaGhidorah (since one of his heads survived in the last film, and he can regenerate, etc.), but maybe they felt MechaGodzilla would be more appealing. Unless we get both? Who knows.

I think it depends on the length of the film. If it is less than 2 hours, then it's probably just Godzilla (or Mecha Godzilla). But if it's more than 2 hours, then just like you said, it will have new enemies (probably MechaGhidorah or someone else).

It'll be pretty boring if it's longer than 2 hours and the only enemy is just Godzilla (or Mecha Godzilla) lmao

Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:31 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

My prediction (spoilers?):

Spoiler: show
So to begin, the evidence of MechaGodzilla being in this is pretty strong. There is a convincing shot of him at the beginning of the trailer, in addition to an image on a screen in a background shot that looks like his frame as well. And apparently a toy "leaked" earlier this month of him.

So:

-Godzilla and Kong are apparently the only two Kaiju left now, so the humans "recruit" Kong to fight Godzilla who's suddenly turned on them (specifically mentioned by the characters in the trailer).

-But the Godzilla that is attacking humanity is MechaGodzilla. Or a sort of a "prototype" of MechaGodzilla that will be beaten by Kong (Kong is pretty dominate in this trailer), and the actual MechaGodzilla will be introduced later in the film. Or this Godzilla that Kong will beat will be enhanced later in the film and return as MechaGodzilla proper.

-The actual MechaGodzilla will then be too much for Kong by himself, so the real Godzilla will then make his appearance and assist Kong in defeating it.

-And if they want to go the extra-mile, a surprise near the end could await them with MechaGhidorah making an appearance for the final battle with Godzilla and Kong, with a likely assist from Mothra again (Zhang Ziyi's character who's connected to Mothra is also in this film, and there was another cocoon at the end of the last movie).

-Godzilla will return to the sea afterwards, and Kong will live happily on an island somewhere. Mothra may die again, but be reborn somewhere.

If this happens, or anything close to it, then I applaud WB for releasing a very deceptive trailer that many think gives everything away, whereas it really gives little to nothing away. It's funny that a single 1 second shot in the trailer could end up changing everything about the film.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Corpse wrote:
My prediction (spoilers?):

So to begin, the evidence of MechaGodzilla being in this is pretty strong. There is a convincing shot of him at the beginning of the trailer, in addition to an image on a screen in a background shot that looks like his frame as well. And apparently a toy "leaked" earlier this month of him.

So:

-Godzilla and Kong are apparently the only two Kaiju left now, so the humans "recruit" Kong to fight Godzilla who's suddenly turned on them (specifically mentioned by the characters in the trailer).

-But the Godzilla that is attacking humanity is MechaGodzilla. Or a sort of a "prototype" of MechaGodzilla that will be beaten by Kong (Kong is pretty dominate in this trailer), and the actual MechaGodzilla will be introduced later in the film. Or this Godzilla that Kong will beat will be enhanced later in the film and return as MechaGodzilla proper.

-The actual MechaGodzilla will then be too much for Kong by himself, so the real Godzilla will then make his appearance and assist Kong in defeating it.

-And if they want to go the extra-mile, a surprise near the end could await them with MechaGhidorah making an appearance for the final battle with Godzilla and Kong, with a likely assist from Mothra again (Zhang Ziyi's character who's connected to Mothra is also in this film, and there was another cocoon at the end of the last movie).

-Godzilla will return to the sea afterwards, and Kong will live happily on an island somewhere. Mothra may die again, but be reborn somewhere.

If this happens, or anything close to it, then I applaud WB for releasing a very deceptive trailer that many think gives everything away, whereas it really gives little to nothing away. It's funny that a single 1 second shot in the trailer could end up changing everything about the film.

Oooooh, good speculations. I agree that the movie will be good if they at least did some of the things you just said.
Though, the simplest route they have based on the trailer are:
a.) Kong fights Godzilla and that would be the end of it
b.) Kong beats (or fought evenly) Godzilla but a new threat would come (like Mecha Godzilla or something) and the two would fight together to stop it.

The second one is pretty cliche but I wouldn't be surprised if they end up using that one.
But who knows, it's only the first trailer, and depending on the second trailer, it could be a completely different story.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:19 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Weekend Actuals (01/23-24)
Weekend Actuals (01/23-24):
01 (01) ¥183,633,400 ($1.8 million), -10%, ¥36,550,114,550 ($349.7 million), Demon Slayer: Mugen Train (Toho/Aniplex) WK15
02 (03) ¥108,339,400 ($1.0 million), +12%, ¥1,620,693,500 ($15.6 million), Poupelle of Chimney Town (Toho) WK5
03 (02) ¥107,343,260 ($1.0 million), -29%, ¥1,061,255,420 ($10.2 million), Gintama: The Final (Warner Bros.) WK3
04 (---) ¥x80,000,000 ($771,000), 0, ¥109,000,000 ($1.0 million), The Night Beyond the Tricornered Window (Shochuku) NEW
05 (04) ¥x60,158,500 ($579,000), -13%, ¥3,718,469,000 ($35.0 million), New Interpretation Records of the Three Kingdoms (Toho) WK7
06 (06) ¥x53,838,800 ($519,000), -05%, ¥1,416,412,950 ($13.7 million), Pokemon: Coco (Toho) WK5
07 (05) ¥x53,282,650 ($513,000), -12%, ¥1,739,500,400 ($16.8 million), The Promised Neverland (Toho) WK6
08 (08) ¥x25,533,850 ($246,000), +02%, ¥2,667,298,050 ($25.8 million), Stand By Me, Doraemon 2 (Toho) WK9
09 (07) ¥x21,615,600 ($208,000), -54%, ¥x99,584,700 ($1.0 million), Natsume's Book of Friends: Waking Rock and Strange Visitor (Aniplex) WK2
10 (09) ¥x18,166,520 ($175,000), -24%, ¥310,796,850 ($3.0 million), Peninsula (Gaga) WK4

I typed up a pretty extensive weekend analysis with the Weekend Estimates yesterday, so I'm going to skip it with the actuals here since it still applies.

The Night Beyond the Tricolored Window has an estimated weekend gross based on its 3-day actual, which it sold 81,000 admissions over across 326 screens. Nothing to write home about, clearly, but films like this are common place in off-season months like January.

This weekend was great overall. We're going to have some weaker weekends in terms of earnings like this one once in awhile in the absence of any Hollywood releases, but the holds this weekend were largely exceptional and better than an average weekend this time of year. It's very similar to the abnormal strength that the past weekdays (and from Monday this week) have displayed, so let's wait and see how long this "boon" lasts.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:39 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Top Opening Weekends: 2021
No entries again this weekend, but not too surprising again since the final Evangelion was delayed (it needs to open under full capacity/operating hours) and the complete lack of any Hollywood releases.

We should see some a few debuts above ¥100 million over the next few weeks. And Jukai Village on Feb. 5th has potential to open over ¥200 million.

Top Opening Weekends: 2021
Gross ¥ ($) / Admissions [Screen Count] - Film (Distributor)

¥1 billion ↨
¥593.0 million ($5.7 million) / 423,000 [348] - New Interpretation Record of the Three Kingdoms (Toho)
¥500 million ↨
¥399.0 million ($3.8 million) / 138,000 [191] - Takizawa Kabuki Zero 2020: The Movie (Shochiku)
¥300 million ↨
¥288.0 million ($2.7 million) / 219,000 [341] - The Promised Neverland (Toho)
¥287.5 million ($2.7 million) / 204,000 [197] - Gintama: The Final (Warner Bros.)
¥276.4 million ($2.7 million) / 234,000 [375] - Pokemon: Coco (Toho)
¥207.2 million ($2.0 million) / 144,000 [306] - Poupelle of Chimney Town (Toho)

¥200 million ↨
¥171.5 million ($1.6 million) / 103,649 [178] - Fate/Grand Order - Divine Realm of the Round Table: Camelot Part 1 (Aniplex)
¥124.4 million ($1.2 million) / x97,000 [335] - Kamen Rider Zero-One: REAL x TIME (Toei)
¥114.3 million ($1.1 million) / x75,677 [340] - Wonder Woman 1984 (Warner Bros.)

¥100 million ↑

Legend:
¥1 billion+ (Exemplary) / ¥500 million+ (Great) / ¥300 million+ (Good) / ¥200 million+ (Acceptable) / ¥100 million+ (Mediocre)

Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Top Grossing Films: 2021
Top Grossing Films: 2021
Gross ¥ ($) / Admissions [Days In Release] - Film (Distributor)

¥10 billion ↨
¥5 billion ↨
¥3.72 billion ($35.0 million) / 2.76 million [45] - New Interpretation Records of the Three Kingdoms (Toho)
¥3 billion ↨
¥2 billion ↨
¥1.88 billion ($17.9 million) / 0.67 million [52] - Takizawa Kabuki Zero 2020: The Movie (Shochiku)
¥1.74 billion ($16.8 million) / 1.35 million [38] - The Promised Neverland (Toho)
¥1.62 billion ($15.6 million) / 1.17 million [31] - Poupelle of Chimney Town (Toho)
¥1.42 billion ($13.7 million) / 1.21 million [31] - Pokemon: Coco (Toho)
¥1.06 billion ($10.2 million) / 0.76 million [17] - Gintama: The Final (Warner Bros.)

¥1 billion ↑
¥638.1 million ($6.2 million) / 0.49 million [45] - Tengaramon (Giggly Box)
¥534.7 million ($5.1 million) / 0.37 million [38] - Wonder Woman 1984 (Warner Bros.)

¥500 million ↑

Legend:
¥10 billion+ (Uber-Blockbuster) / ¥5 billion+ (Blockbuster) / ¥3 billion+ (Hit) / ¥2 billion+ (Respectable) / ¥1 billion+ (Commercial Success)

Top Grossing Films: 2020 (Demon Slayer and Doraemon are still playing)
Gross ¥ ($) / Admissions [Days In Release] - Film (Distributor)

¥36.55 billion ($349.7 million) / 26.67 million [101] - Demon Slayer: Mugen Train (Toho/Aniplex)
¥10 billion ↨
¥7.27 billion ($66.5 million) / 4.85 million [F] - Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Disney)
¥5.37 billion ($50.5 million) / 4.23 million [F] - From Today, It's My Turn! (Toho)

¥5 billion ↨
¥4.72 billion ($43.4 million) / 3.40 million [F] - Parasite (Bitter's End)
¥3.84 billion ($35.6 million) / 2.83 million [F] - The Confidence Man JP: Episode of the Princess (Toho)
¥3.35 billion ($31.5 million) / 2.76 million [F] - Doraemon: Nobita's New Dinosaur (Toho)

¥3 billion ↨
¥2.67 billion ($25.8 million) / 2.17 million [66] - Stand By Me, Doraemon 2 (Toho)
¥2.64 billion ($25.1 million) / 1.68 million [E] - Tenet (Warner Bros.)
¥2.30 billion ($21.8 million) / 1.73 million [F] - Stigmatized Properties (Shochiku)
¥2.27 billion ($21.4 million) / 1.72 million [F] - Tapestry (Toho)
¥2.10 billion ($20.1 million) / 1.45 million [F] - Violet Evergarden: The Movie (Shochiku)
¥2.06 billion ($18.8 million) / 1.48 million [F] - Kaiji: Final Game (Toho)

¥2 billion ↨
¥1.92 billion ($18.1 million) / 1.18 million [E] - Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel III - Spring Song (Aniplex)
¥1.79 billion ($16.3 million) / 1.35 million [F] - My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising (Toho)
¥1.50 billion ($13.8 million) / 1.23 million [F] - Welcome Back, Tora-san! (Shochiku)
¥1.41 billion ($12.9 million) / 1.13 million [F] - The Howling Village (Toei)
¥1.35 billion ($12.3 million) / 1.03 million [F] - Cats (Toho-Towa)
¥1.34 billion ($12.3 million) / 1.03 million [F] - Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku (Toho)
¥1.20 billion ($11.5 million) / 0.92 million [52] - The Voice of Sin (Toho)
¥1.19 billion ($11.0 million) / 0.92 million [F] - Stolen Identity 2 (Toho)
¥1.18 billion ($10.8 million) / 0.95 million [F] - Kiss Me at the Stroke of Midnight (Shochiku)
¥1.18 billion ($11.2 million) / 0.90 million [F] - The Asadas! (Toho)
¥1.16 billion ($10.6 million) / 0.88 million [F] - Lupin III: The First (Toho)
¥1.15 billion ($10.9 million) / 0.94 million [E] - Crayon Shin-chan: Crash! Rakuga Kingdom and the Almost Four Heroes (Toho)
¥1.09 billion ($10.0 million) / 0.83 million [F] - Murder at Shijinso (Toho)

¥1 billion ↨
¥950.0 million ($8.7 million) / 0.76 million [E] - AI Amok (Warner Bros.)
¥900.0 million ($8.3 million) / 0.74 million [E] - Kamen Rider Reiwa: The First Generation (Toei)
¥900.0 million ($8.3 million) / 0.62 million [E] - Jumanji: The Next Level (Sony)
¥890.0 million ($8.2 million) / 0.63 million [E] - Ford v. Ferrari (Fox)
¥864.1 million ($8.2 million) / 0.67 million [E] - Your Eyes Tell (Gaga)
¥880.0 million ($8.2 million) / 0.78 million [F] - Spirited Away (2001) [re-release] (Toho)
¥880.0 million ($8.2 million) / 0.78 million [F] - Princess Mononoke (1997) [re-release] (Toho)
¥797.9 million ($7.4 million) / 0.63 million [E] - Love Me, Love Me Not (Toho)
¥796.4 million ($7.2 million) / 0.61 million [E] - Fukushima 50 (Shochiku)
¥790.0 million ($7.4 million) / 0.59 million [E] - Onward (Disney)
¥770.0 million ($7.2 million) / 0.56 million [E] - 1917 (Toho-Towa)
¥750.0 million ($6.8 million) / 0.65 million [E] - Yo-Kai Watch Jam: Yo-Kai Academy Y - Can a Cat be a Hero? (Toho)
¥709.0 million ($6.6 million) / 0.64 million [E] - Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind [1984 re-release] (Toho)
¥700.0 million ($6.5 million) / 0.55 million [E] - Mask Ward (Warner Bros.)
¥689.5 million ($6.4 million) / 0.51 million [E] - Midsommar (Phantom Film)
¥665.9 million ($6.3 million) / 0.53 million [E] - Midnight Swan (Kino Films)
¥664.0 million ($6.3 million) / 0.53 million [E] - Legacy of Dr. Death: The Black File (Warner Bros.)
¥660.0 million ($6.0 million) / 0.50 million [E] - Last Letter (Toho)
¥658.9 million ($6.0 million) / 0.52 million [E] - Twiceborn (Nikkatsu)
¥634.0 million ($5.9 million) / 0.49 million [E] - Yowamushi Pedal (Shochiku)
¥622.0 million ($5.8 million) / 0.48 million [E] - The Cornered Mouse Dreams of Cheese (Phantom Film)
¥600.0 million ($5.6 million) / 0.45 million [E] - Made in the Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul (Kadokawa)
¥593.4 million ($5.6 million) / 0.34 million [E] - Break the Silence: The Movie (Avex Pictures)
¥540.5 million ($5.2 million) / 0.42 million [E] - Dolittle (Toho-Towa)
¥539.9 million ($5.2 million) / 0.41 million [E] - The Real Exorcist (Nikkatsu)
¥500.0 million ($4.7 million) / 0.35 million [E] - Birds of Prey (Warner Bros.)
¥500 million ↑ (COVID-19 Expansion)

NOTE: Any figures for a film that earned below ¥1 billion that is no longer playing are rough estimates. It's rare for final figures for films earning below that mark to be reported, but I'm going to include them this year given the circumstances. Just remember: They're rough estimates.

Legend:
¥10 billion+ (Uber-Blockbuster) / ¥5 billion+ (Blockbuster) / ¥3 billion+ (Hit) / ¥2 billion+ (Respectable) / ¥1 billion+ (Commercial Success)

Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Demon Slayer Obliterating Record Books

Demon Slayer: Mugen Train - Daily Performance Tracker

10/16 - Fri.: ¥1,268,724,700 ($12.0 million) / 910,507
10/17 - Sat.: ¥1,701,723,350 ($16.2 million) / 1,270,234
10/18 - Sun.: ¥1,652,669,400 ($15.7 million) / 1,239,752
10/19 - Mon.: ¥735,000,000 ($7.0 million) / 545,000
10/20 - Tues.: ¥545,000,000 ($5.1 million) / 395,000
10/21 - Wed.: ¥635,000,000 ($6.0 million) / 505,000
10/22 - Thur.: ¥465,000,000 ($4.5 million) / 340,000
10/23 - Fri.: ¥700,000,000 ($6.7 million) / 510,000
10/24 - Sat.: ¥1,500,944,600 ($14.3 million) / 1,115,182
10/25 - Sun.: ¥1,540,504,150 ($14.7 million) / 1,157,654
10/26 - Mon.: ¥620,000,000 ($5.9 million) / 460,000
10/27 - Tues.: ¥410,000,000 ($3.9 million) / 300,000
10/28 - Wed.: ¥575,000,000 ($5.5 million) / 430,000
10/29 - Thur.: ¥390,000,000 ($3.7 million) / 285,000
10/30 - Fri.: ¥555,000,000 ($5.3 million) / 405,000
10/31 - Sat.: ¥1,212,312,550 ($11.6 million) / 887,893
11/01 - Sun.: ¥1,286,354,600 ($12.3 million) / 1,140,390 *Discount Day*
11/02 - Mon: ¥820,000,000 ($7.8 million) / 605,000 *Holiday Boosted*
11/03 - Tues.: ¥1,185,000,000 ($11.3 million) / 900,000 *Holiday*
11/04 - Wed.: ¥350,000,000 ($3.3 million) / 260,000
11/05 - Thur.: ¥230,000,000 ($2.2 million) / 170,000
11/06 - Fri.: ¥325,000,000 ($3.1 million) / 240,000
11/07 - Sat.: ¥863,827,750 ($8.3 million) / 628,614
11/08 - Sun.: ¥909,098,150 ($8.8 million) / 667,179
11/09 - Mon.: ¥315,000,000 ($3.0 million) / 230,000
11/10 - Tues.: ¥220,000,000 ($2.1 million) / 160,000
11/11 - Wed.: ¥295,000,000 ($2.8 million) / 230,000
11/12 - Thur.: ¥200,000,000 ($1.9 million) / 145,000
11/13 - Fri.: ¥310,000,000 ($3.0 million) / 225,000
11/14 - Sat.: ¥795,343,500 ($7.6 million) / 611,418
11/15 - Sun.: ¥726,313,550 ($6.9 million) / 535,986
11/16 - Mon.: ¥265,000,000 ($2.5 million) / 195,000
11/17 - Tues.: ¥165,000,000 ($1.6 million) / 120,000
11/18 - Wed.: ¥240,000,000 ($2.3 million) / 185,000
11/19 - Thur.: ¥165,000,000 ($1.6 million) / 120,000
11/20 - Fri.: ¥240,000,000 ($2.3 million) / 170,000
11/21 - Sat.: ¥439,606,550 ($4.2 million) / 314,726
11/22 - Sun.: ¥592,738,550 ($5.7 million) / 433,315
11/23 - Mon.: ¥460,110,250 ($4.4 million) / 357,741 *Holiday*
11/24 - Tues.: ¥125,000,000 ($1.2 million) / 90,000
11/25 - Wed.: ¥160,000,000 ($1.5 million) / 120,000
11/26 - Thur.: ¥120,000,000 ($1.1 million) / 85,000
11/27 - Fri.: ¥195,000,000 ($1.9 million) / 130,000
11/28 - Sat.: ¥556,443,300 ($5.3 million) / 392,017
11/29 - Sun: ¥448,060,450 ($4.3 million) / 320,031
11/30 - Mon.: ¥140,000,000 ($1.3 million) / 105,000
12/01 - Tues.: ¥170,000,000 ($1.6 million) / 145,000 *Discount Day*
12/02 - Wed.: ¥125,000,000 ($1.2 million) /100,000
12/03 - Thur.: ¥x95,000,000 ($0.9 million) / x70,000
12/04 - Fri.: ¥145,000,000 ($1.4 million) / 105,000
12/05 - Sat.: ¥319,013,550 ($3.1 million) / 225,976
12/06 - Sun.: ¥336,505,700 ($3.2 million) / 239,874
12/07 - Mon.: ¥100,000,000 ($1.0 million) / x75,000
12/08 - Tues.: ¥x85,000,000 ($0.8 million) / x55,000
12/09 - Wed.: ¥115,000,000 ($1.1 million) / x90,000
12/10 - Thur.: ¥x85,000,000 ($0.8 million) / x60,000
12/11 - Fri.: ¥115,000,000 ($1.1 million) / x80,000
12/12 - Sat.: ¥588,408,200 ($5.7 million) / 407,286
12/13 - Sun.: ¥351,003,000 ($3.4 million) / 248,024
12/14 - Mon.: ¥120,000,000 ($1.2 million) / x85,000
12/15 - Tues.: ¥x85,000,000 ($0.8 million) / x60,000
12/16 - Wed.: ¥110,000,000 ($1.1 million) / x85,000
12/17 - Thur.: ¥x75,000,000 ($0.7 million) / x55,000
12/18 - Fri.: ¥x90,000,000 ($0.9 million) / x65,000
12/19 - Sat.: ¥187,788,050 ($1.8 million) / 133,068
12/20 - Sun.: ¥202,627,400 ($2.0 million) / 148,780
12/21 - Mon.: ¥x75,000,000 ($0.7 million) / x55,000
12/22 - Tues.: ¥x65,000,000 ($0.6 million) / x45,000
12/23 - Wed.: ¥x90,000,000 ($0.9 million) / x65,000
12/24 - Thur.: ¥x70,000,000 ($0.7 million) / x50,000
12/25 - Fri.: ¥105,000,000 ($1.0 million) / x75,000
12/26 - Sat.: ¥554,583,650 ($5.3 million) / 355,697
12/27 - Sun.: ¥353,034,550 ($3.4 million) / 219,946
12/28 - Mon.: ¥290,000,000 ($2.8 million) / 190,000
12/29 - Tues.: ¥325,000,000 ($3.2 million) / 205,000
12/30 - Wed.: ¥335,000,000 ($3.3 million) / 240,000
12/31 - Thur.: ¥210,000,000 ($2.0 million) / 135,000
01/01 - Fri.: ¥320,000,000 ($3.1 million) / 230,000 *Holiday, Discount Day*
01/02 - Sat.: ¥351,200,000 ($3.4 million) / 220,150 *Bank Holiday*
01/03 - Sun.: ¥326,800,000 ($3.2 million) / 204,850 *Bank Holiday*
01/04 - Mon.: ¥275,000,000 ($2.6 million) / 180,000 *Holiday Boosted*
01/05 - Tues.: ¥160,000,000 ($1.5 million) / 100,000
01/06 - Wed.: ¥135,000,000 ($1.3 million) / x95,000
01/07 - Thur.: ¥x80,000,000 ($0.8 million) / x50,000
01/08 - Fri.: ¥x65,000,000 ($0.6 million) / x40,000
01/09 - Sat.: ¥125,790,000 ($1.2 million) / x75,600
01/10 - Sun.: ¥173,710,000 ($1.7 million) / 104,400
01/11 - Mon.: ¥132,804,950 ($1.3 million) / x84,300 *Holiday*
01/12 - Tues.: ¥x40,000,000 ($0.4 million) / x25,000
01/13 - Wed.: ¥x45,000,000 ($0.4 million) / x30,000
01/14 - Thur.: ¥x45,000,000 ($0.4 million) / x25,000
01/15 - Fri.: ¥x50,000,000 ($0.5 million) / x30,000
01/16 - Sat.: ¥x95,550,000 ($0.9 million) / x57,810
01/17 - Sun.: ¥107,750,000 ($1.0 million) / x65,190
01/18 - Mon.: ¥x40,000,000 ($0.4 million) / x23,000
01/19 - Tues.: ¥x35,000,000 ($0.3 million) / x20,000
01/20 - Wed.: ¥x40,000,000 ($0.4 million) / x25,000
01/21 - Thur.: ¥x35,000,000 ($0.3 million) / x20,000
01/22 - Fri..: ¥x40,000,000 ($0.4 million) / x25,000
01/23 - Sat..: ¥x87,960,400 ($0.8 million) / x53,648
01/24 - Sun..: ¥x95,673,000 ($0.9 million) / x58,352
01/25 - Mon..: ¥x32,000,000 ($0.3 million) / x20,000 *est.*

101-Day Cumulative Total: ¥36,582,114,550 ($350.1 million) / 26,694,053

Note: Mon.-Fri. are rounded estimates (excluding Holiday Mondays), therefore adding up each day won't equal the actual total.[/quote]

Starting this week, I'm not going to round the estimated weekdays any longer so we can be more precise. The daily estimates last week were very close, but rounding will become more inaccurate over time.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: WKND Actuals (01/02-03); Charts Update

Shueisha just announced that Jujutsu Kaisen has now reached 25 million copies in circulation. Just 2 weeks ago, they had announced that it had reached 20 million copies. So they moved (put in circulation) 5 million more in just two weeks... :wacko:

Milestone Dates:

600,000 - Dec. 2018
1.1 million - Feb. 1st, 2019
2.0 million - June 30th, 2019
2.5 million - Nov. 26th, 2019
4.5 million - May 20th, 2020
6.8 million - Sept. 4th, 2020
10.0 million - Oct. 29th, 2020 (anime premiered on Oct. 3rd)
15.0 million - Dec. 15th, 2020
20.0 million - Jan. 13th, 2021
25.0 million - Jan. 26th, 2021

It has already exceeded 12 (or 13) million copies since the 2021 Oricon Year began 9 weeks ago. It'll no doubt top the 2021 Oricon Year, and could end up selling 35, 40 million or even more (it's very early in the year) for the year alone. We'll need to see how it performs after season one of the anime concludes.

The series could very well reach 50/60 million copies in circulation by the end of 2021, just 3.5 years after debuting.

This is pretty bonkers. This is far bigger than the increase Attack on Titan saw back in 2013-2014, and may even be shaping up to be bigger than the sales increases One Piece saw back in 2010-2012. Only Demon Slayer's increase in sales from around mid-2019 though January 2021 (and still ongoing) are higher, but I'd love to see a direct comparison between the two if anyone has the circulation milestone dates for Demon Slayer.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Weekend Actuals (01/23-24); Charts Upd
Amazing numbers!

Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:49 pm
Angels & Demons

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: WKND Actuals (01/02-03); Charts Update
Corpse wrote:

Shueisha just announced that Jujutsu Kaisen has now reached 25 million copies in circulation. Just 2 weeks ago, they had announced that it had reached 20 million copies. So they moved (put in circulation) 5 million more in just two weeks... :wacko:

Milestone Dates:

600,000 - Dec. 2018
1.1 million - Feb. 1st, 2019
2.0 million - June 30th, 2019
2.5 million - Nov. 26th, 2019
4.5 million - May 20th, 2020
6.8 million - Sept. 4th, 2020
10.0 million - Oct. 29th, 2020 (anime premiered on Oct. 3rd)
15.0 million - Dec. 15th, 2020
20.0 million - Jan. 13th, 2021
25.0 million - Jan. 26th, 2021

It has already exceeded 12 (or 13) million copies since the 2021 Oricon Year began 9 weeks ago. It'll no doubt top the 2021 Oricon Year, and could end up selling 35, 40 million or even more (it's very early in the year) for the year alone. We'll need to see how it performs after season one of the anime concludes.

The series could very well reach 50/60 million copies in circulation by the end of 2021, just 3.5 years after debuting.

This is pretty bonkers. This is far bigger than the increase Attack on Titan saw back in 2013-2014, and may even be shaping up to be bigger than the sales increases One Piece saw back in 2010-2012. Only Demon Slayer's increase in sales from around mid-2019 though January 2021 (and still ongoing) are higher, but I'd love to see a direct comparison between the two if anyone has the circulation milestone dates for Demon Slayer.

Hi, I have followed your post since mid-October but today I registered to reply to your question about the circulation number of KNY. Like you, my hobby is to make sales chart, in my case is Kimetsu. Here is the official circulation:
04/06/2019 (before anime began): 3.5 million copies
04/09/2019: 5 mil
09/30/2019: 12 mil
11/20/2019: 20 mil
12/04/2019: 25 mil
02/04/2020: 40 mil
05/13/2020: 60 mil
07/03/2020: 80 mil
10/02/2020: 100 mil
12/04/2020: 120 mil
I am no surprised that Jujutsu Kaisen succeeds because the series has the same 1st editor as Kimetsu no Yaiba. That editor guided both authors and made use the most of their talents.
Here are the interviews where he explained how he contributed to both series:
Interview for Kimetsu: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/web_pages/234/
Interview for Jujutsu Kaisen: https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/intervie ... sen-editor

Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:22 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Weekend Actuals (01/23-24); Charts Upd
Thank you very much! I believe most of the dates and numbers have been posted before, but going back to check almost 150 pages over the past 3 months in this thread is just too time-consuming! LOL.

I'm putting together a comparison chart now.

Now, I'm not doing this to say Jujutsu Kaisen is going to be the next Demon Slayer. Don't want anyone thinking that, at least not *yet*. It's just that Jujutsu Kaisen is experiencing a sales growth that is only comparable to that of Demon Slayer's, and far ahead of any other series. One Piece had a major sales growth from 2010-2012 as we know, but Demon Slayer squashed those years (almost combined...) and Jujutsu Kaisen honestly looks on pace to beat One Piece's biggest year (2011) this year.

And Jujutsu's large growth began shortly after its anime premiered, not towards the end of its run like in Demon Slayer's case, which is interesting.

I was looking up Attack on Titan, as it's probably the only other series that experienced a major sales growth on a somewhat similar--though I'm pretty sure it's on noticeably smaller--scale following its anime premiere. But I can't find anything before April 2014 (when it reached 30 million), which was a full year after season one premiered. I'm not really expecting there to be circulation figures available before then, but if anyone has them or knows where to find them, please share!

Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 676, 677, 678, 679, 680, 681, 682 ... 952  Next