Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 23795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 573, 574, 575, 576, 577, 578, 579 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Demon Slayer Obliterating Record Books
Aaaand more records being broken, because there's never too many and always more to break even if it's your own. And if a record doesn't exist yet, then create your own record in Billboard Japan's case!:

LiSA's single and theme song for the movie, "Homura" (Flame), achieved a 3rd consecutive week atop Oricon's Weekly Singles Sales Chart, making it the first single in 12-years and 10-months to top the Oricon Weekly Sales Chart for three consecutive weeks.

And on the Billboard Japan Hot 100 Chart, the single also achieved a 3rd consecutive week at #1 there as well, and made history in the market by becoming the first ever single to achieve three consecutive weeks at #1 since they began the sales chart!

Oricon Article: https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/03a4d ... 53ae1fa172
Billboard Article: https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/66d3a ... c537a046e0

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

mark66 wrote:
Your 1.44m admissions projection is still awfully close to the previous opening record holder...

True, but it'll at least be down to a comparable level as the previous record holders. :funny:

Wednesday/Thursday, more so Thursday as Tuesday will undoubtedly have spillover (like so many of its other days so far) that'll probably boost Wednesday a bit, may be the most telling day(s) for the future of its run.

I think it's really above that 90%+ likelihood of beating Spirited Away and taking the #1 title now, but Thursday, Friday, and the fourth weekend will give us an idea of how much higher above the record it could possibly be heading. "Just" ¥1/2 billion or something above the record, or could it go ¥5 billion or even ¥10 billion higher? This time next week we should have a fair prediction on it.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

What is actually lock for the moment ? Is $225M locked or $250M locked ?

Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:31 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

LPLC wrote:
What is actually lock for the moment ? Is $225M locked or $250M locked ?

$295 million is locked (enough in Yen to beat Spirited Away), but it's very likely to get over $300 million. $350 million is the sort of "expected" USD figure.

Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Nice hook at the end of the series.

Also, what would happen if it beat the record in one currency but not the other?

Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:41 pm
The Incredible Hulk

$295M is locked ? Are you sure of that ? It is almost the double of the box office of Demon Slayer today and I know that there is Labor Day and Holidays in January but it seems huge to me

Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:58 pm
Speed Racer

LPLC wrote:
$295M is locked ? Are you sure of that ? It is almost the double of the box office of Demon Slayer today and I know that there is Labor Day and Holidays in January but it seems huge to me

I told you over on BOT that it was targeting 330-450 :p

I just don’t know how you can expect a movie in Japan with holidays upcoming and no big competition to be 150 end of 3rd weekend, ~200 a week later, and then sputter out in the mid 200s or something.

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:08 pm
Star Trek XI

WandaLegion wrote:
LPLC wrote:

I just don’t know how you can expect a movie in Japan with holidays upcoming and no big competition to be 150 end of 3rd weekend, ~200 a week later, and then sputter out in the mid 200s or something.

Exactly. Demon Slayer might be close to ¥25 billion before it has a weekend comparable to Frozen 2's OW. Conveniently, this will probably happen around the same time of the year Frozen 2 released. Frozen 2 went on to gross ¥13.35 billion yen with just "average" legs, so Demon Slayer should be able to pass ¥35 billion yen if it at least matches that (should be better with weak competition and superior reception/phenomenon factor).

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:26 pm
Full Fledged Member

Yeah the movie numbers look very good.
It is ¥15.79 billion after its 3rd weekend, meaning a multiplier of roughly x4.70 up to now.
Very similar to the 3rd weekend mult. of Harry Potter 1, Weathering with You and Howl's Moving Castle, between x4.50 / x4.90.

All of them managed a multiplier over x12, so a total of ¥40 billion for Demon Slayer seems doable, and even if it crashes after it's 4th weekend, stiil should be able to reach to ¥30 billion.

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:27 pm
The Incredible Hulk

WandaLegion wrote:
LPLC wrote:

I know but I just try to be realistic because we don't know what can happen, for me $300M is really really huge but if it reach $400M like your prediction says it means that DS will have 10% drop or less every week and I know that this movie is a big evenement in Japan but it seems very very very difficult actually and if something like that happen this will be unheard of in the history of the box office

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:28 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

LPLC wrote:

If you want a 100%, concrete lock, then let's say $275 million.

But most films more than double their three week totals in the market, especially phenomenon films like this one, the biggest phenomenon off all time in the market in every measurable manner, not just at the box-office. It's not an exaggeration to say that Demon Slayer has become the biggest brand in the history of Japan.

Therefore ¥30/31 billion ($280-$300 million) is very likely, near-lock territory, especially since it's having incredible numbers still (third Monday was bigger than its first Monday as the most recent example).

But we're likely going to see it go higher. There's no Hollywood films on the horizon, until Christmas if Wonder Woman stays there (but DC isn't popular in the market, and the first film didn't perform well), and while there are plenty of local films, nothing is going to challenge its seating/showtimes until late-January.

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Flava'd vs The World wrote:

Also, what would happen if it beat the record in one currency but not the other?

Well, you go by local currency and/or admissions to lay claim to the records. These remain stable, especially in a market like Japan that's had little/no inflation in 27-years (movie tickets are only 5% higher than in 1993). USD totals vary a lot due to the exchange rate always changing, so that's not a reliable/accurate way to measure/rank films. But don't worry in Demon Slayer's case. It's 100% gong to be the #1 film in USD in the market, and is 90%+ likely to also be #1 in Yen and admissions at the moment (truly expect this to get to 99% likely after this week).

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Corpse wrote:

Well, you go by local currency and/or admissions to lay claim to the records. These remain stable, especially in a market like Japan that's had little/no inflation in 27-years (movie tickets are only 5% higher than in 1993).

What happens if there was a split winner for gross and admissions? I know weekends are ranked by admissions in Japan, but I guess local currency gross is more important for box office records?

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:52 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Weekend rankings are done by admissions in the market, but Eiren (Movie Producers Association of Japan) rank the films by gross in their annual report.

This is one of the reasons I also post the Most Attended Films list, because some films may rank better on one chart than the other. Some of the most attended films ever were also released in the 50s/60s when movie tickets were VERY low, low enough to not even getting close to making Top 100 or 200+ grossing films list despite being in the top 10/20 most attended films.

Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Well... unless today slows down (not happening, who are we kidding at this point), then today is quite certain to exceed 1 million admissions. The early morning ticket sales are only trailing two of its days so far (this past Sunday and last Sunday, and only by 15%). A 200%+ (no, I didn't add an extra 0, it's 200%+) increase over last Tuesday is likely.

Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Haha. I wonder how many days will this movie have above 1m admissions when we didn't have even ONE movie do that before this :funny:

Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:09 pm
Full Fledged Member

Corpse wrote:
Well... unless today slows down (not happening, who are we kidding at this point), then today is quite certain to exceed 1 million admissions.

When having 5 days over 1 million admissions isn't just enough

Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:13 pm
Speed Racer

If we don’t get reined in on Wed/Th/Fri I may have to board Jack’s 45B train.

Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:25 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

WandaLegion wrote:
If we don’t get reined in on Wed/Th/Fri I may have to board Jack’s 45B train.

Welcome to club :thumbsup:

Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:42 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

It's probably no surprise, but Demon Slayer was the #1 top product/brand in Japan this year. #2 was Face Masks, #3 was Animal Crossing, #4 was Zoom, and #5 was Lemon Sour (beverage drink).

The ranking has been compiled every year since 1987 by the Nikkei Marketing Journal.

Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:01 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Corpse wrote:
It's probably no surprise, but Demon Slayer was the #1 top product/brand in Japan this year. #2 was Face Masks, #3 was Animal Crossing, #4 was Zoom, and #5 was Lemon Sour (beverage drink).

The ranking has been compiled every year since 1987 by the Nikkei Marketing Journal.

This is sooooooo 2020 :funny:

Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:07 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Right? All the Japanese are at home reading Demon Slayer and playing Animal Crossing between their Zoom calls while having a Lemon Sour cocktail.

And they basically do the same when they go out with a face mask on (probably featuring Demon Slayer art), except now they're watching Demon Slayer in theaters, take Animal Crossing on the go, and sip Lemon Sour under their masks using a straw.

Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:11 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Favorite (main four) character?
Favorite Hashira? (little to go in the first season, but their general personalities* are revealed at least)
Favorite demon so far?

*That I know of. Haven't finished the manga yet.

(Anyone can reply, as long as no spoilers are posted. And maybe just keep to season one/movie material.)

Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:24 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

As of Tuesday 2PM, the first holiday the film has had, it's aiming for around 800,000 admissions at the usual locations, and accounting for the better share that rural locations have on weekdays (~33% versus ~25% on weekends), we can probably safely predict it exceeding 1.1 million admissions overall for the day. Only looking at a 300%+ increase over last Tuesday.

That'll give it around ¥1.4/1.5 billion ($13/14 million+) today if it holds steady. Higher than its opening day, and higher than either this past Saturday or Sunday.

:nutso:

Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:07 am
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

It's really going to have the 10 biggest single days all to itself by the end of the week, isn't it? Nuts. Just nuts.

Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 23795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 573, 574, 575, 576, 577, 578, 579 ... 952  Next