Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 563, 564, 565, 566, 567, 568, 569 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
Star Trek XI

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Demon Slayer Obliterating Record Books
It should still have a large enough theater count to take advantage of Golden Week too. Being a domestic film and phenomenon will also help it keep theaters.

Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:31 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

It'll be in theaters for quite some time. No worries there.

More great news for Demon Slayer, and LiSA:

LiSA's single, "Homura" (Flame), the theme song for the movie, was #1 for a second consecutive week. This is the first time in 9 years and 10 months since a solo female artist has had a single top the charts for two consecutive weeks on Oricon's sales charts.

Also, the song was #2 this week on Billboard's Top 200 (excluding the U.S.):

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Good news. Music defenitely can helpt building long legs

Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:46 pm
Forum General

Corpse wrote:
Jiffy wrote:
Just caught up on all the craziness going on with this!

If every there was a "mother of God" box office performance. Jesus.

Welcome back, Jiffy. :)

Thanks! It's been great reading through all your updates and the vital context here. I watched the first episode on Hulu and plan to continue. Who would have thought we'd be seeing a once-in-a-lifetime run during a pandemic, but ironically you can see how that has helped set the stage for stars to align here.

Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:52 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Hope you enjoy it. I tell new viewers not to go in expecting the best anime of all time. 1. That's subjective. 2. Why set a likely impossible expectation where anything other than it becoming your favorite show disappoints you?

The anime is very good; it's nice written, has a strong score (besides just the songs), and ufotable's animation is stellar. The main character, Tanjiro, is also a refreshing departure from your typical "I'm the chosen hero that's going to be the best/strongest of all!" Shounen main character trope. He's a genuinely kind character, a bit of an underdog but still very capable, who cares about his sister/family. Easily relatable, especially among Japanese I feel.

And if it happens to become one of your favorite shows, then that's just a welcomed bonus. That said, it's pretty universally praised (certainly among the best received anime in some time), and the only "complaints" is that it didn't meet the perfect expectations some set beforehand. Especially now that it's breaking Spirited Away's records, including a likely challenge to its highest grossing film crown, expectations have skyrocketed among those checking it out for the first time.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:48 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Very good (great/amazing) numbers from Tuesday so far. As of 2PM, it's only down 7% versus last Tuesday, and it's only trailing yesterday (Monday, the strongest weekday generally) by about 18%.

Could be looking at a second Tuesday between ¥475-500 million ($4.5-4.8 million) if it keeps this pace throughout the evening. The weekdays continue to be as high as the first Saturday or Sunday figures of many of the biggest openers.

This second Tuesday, its 12th day in release, would even be a candidate for a Top 10 spot (granted, at the bottom) of Biggest Opening Weekends in any given year, as having ten films with opening weekends above ¥500 million is about the average.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:07 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

I went from not knowing a thing about Demon Slayer before reading this thread to a complete covert now. :funny: I'm now finished Season 1 and can't wait to watch the subbed version of the film.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:11 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

R136a1 wrote:
I went from not knowing a thing about Demon Slayer before reading this thread to a complete covert now. :funny: I'm now finished Season 1 and can't wait to watch the subbed version of the film.

It definitely helps that the movie continues where season one concludes (the last episode literally leads into/starts the movie), adapting the next two volumes of the manga. If this was your typical original story anime film, I don't think the interest would have been nearly as high. Would you agree since you just finished, and know that the film continues where you left off?

Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:19 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Corpse wrote:
It definitely helps that the movie continues where season one concludes (the last episode literally leads into/starts the movie), adapting the next two volumes of the manga. If this was your typical original story anime film, I don't think the interest would have been nearly as high. Would you agree since you just finished, and know that the film continues where you left off?

Yes, it certainly adds to that sense of urgency/must-watch factor versus an original story that may not even be canon. Anybody who cannot wait for Season 2 will rush out to see the film just to see how their journey progresses.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:34 am
Angels & Demons

R136a1 wrote:

I'm so glad you're caught up now! And with us watching this insanity taking place!

Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:24 am
Star Trek XI

chQta wrote:
R136a1 wrote:

I'm so glad you're caught up now! And with us watching this insanity taking place!

It really is an amazing show, and I'm glad it's getting so much attention outside Japan now because of it demolishing all the records.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:31 am
Wall-E

Wait, what? Mimorin just subtracted 35k admissions to the total o.o

EDIT: seems like he exhaggerated a setting for UNITED. That's a lot of admissions though.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:09 am
Speed Racer

JustLurking wrote:
Wait, what? Mimorin just subtracted 35k admissions to the total o.o

EDIT: seems like he exhaggerated a setting for UNITED. That's a lot of admissions though.

What does this mean? Why it subtracted? Wth?

Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:58 am
Wall-E

I wrote the reason in the edit...

Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:25 am
Speed Racer

JustLurking wrote:

They made us believe we were in heaven with the sub 10% drop. Now they sent us to hell with sub 30% drop. Lol

Sub 30% drop = bye bye SA milestone.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:42 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Now, now. The -25/30% Tues-to-Tues drop is where it was likely to have been all along, just a little "higher" than expected. It's still huge, and rhe biggest non-holiday Tuesday ever after itself last week.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:07 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Danhjpn wrote:
JustLurking wrote:

They made us believe we were in heaven with the sub 10% drop. Now they sent us to hell with sub 30% drop. Lol

Sub 30% drop = bye bye SA milestone.

Let's not have daily freak-outs lol.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:25 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah I don't see how 30% drop over a weekday is bad. Weekdays are still not 100% capacity as well. There is Wednesday discount right around the corner and yesterday we saw a 30% decline from last Monday. I think this weekend we'll still see a sub-30% drop.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:07 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Ran the numbers using weekly 30%, 25%, and 20% declines for the next 22 weeks, beginning with its second week that just wrapped up, and:

~30% weekly drops gets it to about ¥25 billion. Still early in its run, but so far it hasn't had any single day-to-single day drops at or above 30% besides its first Fri.-Fri. drop which was expected and fine (even the ultra-leggy films like Your Name. don't see 30% drops or better on their second Fridays), including this Tuesday (which looks off -27-28%).
~25% weekly drops gets it to about ¥28 billion.
~20% weekly drops gets it way up around ¥35 billion.

The mathematical chances of reaching ¥30 billion+ remain pretty good. I wouldn't question this unless some 35/40% drops start to begin in the near future.

None of this accounts for any holidays or the prolonged New Year (plans are in place to make it 2-weeks this year) it's going to have come January. There can be weekly increases along the way, too, and certainly don't take one regular weekday, one of the two weakest days at that (Tues/Thur), dropping 25-30% as a spoiler of any kind. Next Tuesday is a national holiday, and will more than "makeup" for the 28% drop this Tuesday had and likely even give next week an increase over this week.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:12 am
Profile WWW
Wall-E

I don't see this drop as that big of a deal, I was just a bit startles seeing admissions being subtracted instead of added on mimorim personally lol.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:47 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

It is unusual, since it's usually the opposite.

What happened was that unsold seats marked as sold at United Cinemas had been included all-day until they corrected it.

When a theater is at 50% capacity (like many still are on weekdays), half of them are marked as sold in a checkerboard pattern when you go to reserve your seat. The program then assumes those are SOLD (purchased) seats when calculating the ticket sales if it's not updated to account for that beforehand.

And the opposite effect is true, which has happened more often, is when a theater moves back from 50% to 100% capacity (many are switching back to 100% on weekdays, or just specific weekdays) which makes the seats that were previously unavailable available again, but the program doesn't count them when they're actually sold because they were marked unavailable.

Does this make sense? The programmers at the usual locations have been busy in keeping track of this, to say the least, as theaters keep switching back and forth between 50% and 100%. They're doing a great job though, even if they have to correct the numbers later on in the day. All but Aeon are 100% over the weekends, but many are still at 50% on the weekdays but are gradually moving back to 100% over them as well.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Demon Slayer: Mugen Train - Daily Performance Tracker

10/16 - Fri.: ¥1,268,724,700 ($12.0 million) / 910,507
10/17 - Sat.: ¥1,701,723,350 ($16.2 million) / 1,270,234
10/18 - Sun.: ¥1,652,669,400 ($15.7 million) / 1,239,752
10/19 - Mon.: ¥735,000,000 ($7.0 million) / 545,000
10/20 - Tues.: ¥545,000,000 ($5.1 million) / 395,000
10/21 - Wed.: ¥635,000,000 ($6.0 million) / 505,000
10/22 - Thur.: ¥470,000,000 ($4.5 million) / 340,000
10/23 - Fri.: ¥695,000,000 ($6.6 million) / 505,000
10/24 - Sat.: ¥1,500,944,600 ($14.3 million) / 1,115,182
10/25 - Sun.: ¥1,540,504,150 ($14.7 million) / 1,157,654
10/26 - Mon.: ¥580,000,000 ($5.5 million) / 435,000 *est.*
10/27 - Tues.: ¥390,000,000 ($3.7 million) / 285,000 *est.*

12-Day Cumulative Total: ¥11,724,232,550 ($111.6 million) / 8,703,442

Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Looking ahead at Wednesday's reservations, and they're very good.

https://hlo.tohotheater.jp/net/schedule ... 2000J01.do

-Click the link
-Scroll down past the many notices until you see Screening Schedule (click on 10/28)
-Scroll down where needed until you see Kimestu no Yaiba (Demon Slayer). It's at the top for most, but need to scroll down a couple films for others.

These are some of the busier locations, but having so many half-full showings (and some are 80% full) occur this far in advance (~5/6 hours) for a regular weekday is quite impressive. It's going to see a significant increase over yesterday, and probably match/beat Monday.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

The day started with 20% drop in morning shows

Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:26 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Mhm. Great start. Nothing looks particularly abnormal right now, but chances are corrections will be made later today.

A lot of theaters switch from 50% capacity on Tuesday to 100% on Wednesday (since Wed. is a busier day), so if there are any errors happening today, the numbers *should* be coming in lower than they really are and will be updated in the positive later this evening. Opposite of Tuesday's effect.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 563, 564, 565, 566, 567, 568, 569 ... 952  Next