Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 924 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 37  Next
 COVID-19 and box office 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: COVID-19 and box office
I believe this and many other virus (not all) take time to multiply but if you are exposed to a bigger fraction of it then it's easier for the virus to spread and cause more damage quickly.

Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:00 am
100% That Bitch

zwackerm wrote:
I’m confused about the “less viral load” thing. Doesn’t an infection spread, so even if you only inhale one little bit of virus, it can still spread like wildfire throughout your body. Why would the amount you inhale matter?

Because it takes a certain amount of load of virus for you to get sick. The less virus you inhale the less symtoms you get.
See, it's not the same if you inhale let's say.... 50 copies of the virus, if they replicate 10 times you get 500 copies in your body. Now if you inhale 500 copies of the virus, replicate that and you get 5,000. which one do you think will be sicker?

IF you wanna know about virus loads go do some HIV research lol. It's basically the same when undetectable patitents can't transmit HIV. They don0t have enough copies of the virus to get you infected.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:10 pm
Extraordinary

After the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Ireland ITALY is now the first big market in Europe, where theaters have to shut down for the second time... :-(

Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:00 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

I thought since viruses replicate a low viral load would become a high viral load without treatment. No?

Mau wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
I’m confused about the “less viral load” thing. Doesn’t an infection spread, so even if you only inhale one little bit of virus, it can still spread like wildfire throughout your body. Why would the amount you inhale matter?

Because it takes a certain amount of load of virus for you to get sick. The less virus you inhale the less symtoms you get.
See, it's not the same if you inhale let's say.... 50 copies of the virus, if they replicate 10 times you get 500 copies in your body. Now if you inhale 500 copies of the virus, replicate that and you get 5,000. which one do you think will be sicker?

IF you wanna know about virus loads go do some HIV research lol. It's basically the same when undetectable patitents can't transmit HIV. They don0t have enough copies of the virus to get you infected.

I was blind, but now I see.

Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:48 pm
100% That Bitch

lilmac wrote:
I thought since viruses replicate a low viral load would become a high viral load without treatment. No?

Mau wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

yes, this is true. The treatment goal to make the viral load "undetectable" so it doesn't affect the host nor can it transmit it. IF you don't take your treatment an undetectable load can become one in over 100,000 copies/ml and be a disaster.

You need at least 200 copies/ml or something like that for you to get infected. And undetectable is below 20 so that's a good window.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:06 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Corpse wrote:
I recommend reading this in full, an article from back in August: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 01918/full

84% of the Japanese now wear masks in public (indoor and outdoor) according to polling last month. America isn't even at 50% yet according to a report I read yesterday. Mask-wearing has been normal in Japan (and East Asia) for many, many years, and I think before COVID-19 even started that over 40% of Japanese always wore a mask in public; and it's clearly helping them against this virus. Masks are helping, and even if they don't offer full protection, if enough of the public wear them, it helps on a tremendous scale.

But in addition to mask-wearing, the article explains how perception, and perceiving the virus as a serious threat and mask-wearing being perceived as a social norm when it may not necessarily be, both help motivate the public to do the same. This is where America, and many other countries, has really messed up, I believe. It's not about locking down. Japan was only on lockdown for about 6 weeks. Poor communication regarding the severity concerns and arguing/debating the usage of masks is the problem.

Perception is reality.

It's now been over a month in Japan since the government fully lifted capacity restrictions, not just at theaters, but at any small/medium venue. There are only restrictions on large venues like sporting arenas that can hold many tens of thousands of people at a time, but those are gradually being reduced as well.

Japan (pop. 126 million in a crowded space with nearly 40 million in the Tokyo area alone) is only recording a few hundred cases, sometimes up to 500+ range, a day since then. South Dakota, a state with a pop. under 900,000!, has been reporting similar daily cases, and have begun to report more daily cases than all of Japan. Nothing is closed in Japan. There are basically no capacity restrictions. They're still going out and enjoying their lives. They just wear masks and follow proper hand-washing and sanitary procedures 80/85% of the time.

Tbh.... having to wear a mask everywhere is not enjoying life. And does Japan have concerts and nightclubs? Are people wearing masks at those too?

At this point, it may be controversial to say, but I'm honestly starting to think life should just go back to normal and the ones who die die and the ones who don't don't. If you are old and have pre-existing conditions isolate yourself at home until it sweeps through the population and we have herd immunity.

Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:54 am
Devil's Advocate

Barrabás wrote:
Tbh.... having to wear a mask everywhere is not enjoying life. And does Japan have concerts and nightclubs? Are people wearing masks at those too?

At this point, it may be controversial to say, but I'm honestly starting to think life should just go back to normal and the ones who die die and the ones who don't don't. If you are old and have pre-existing conditions isolate yourself at home until it sweeps through the population and we have herd immunity.

I think the people should decide how afraid to be of the pandemic. Remove all government enforced lockdowns or rules. There is no evidence they know any better than the people.

You wouldn't need rules in a real plague because people would be afraid enough on their own to leave their house. The only reason the government is putting in rules is they know the people don't take it close to as seriously as that and they think they know better than the population at large.

If you take the leash off and the people decide to risk it by going 99% back to normal like this is 2009 H1N1, then they have spoken. If the concert and theatre business is still dead it means people are genuinely afraid of it so they have also proven their point. Stop letting the government make decisions for people because half the time they're only doing things to get elected and the other half of the time they're serving whoever's bought them off like the big pharma interests that are about to ca$h in on a vaccine.

Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:26 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Barrabás wrote:
Corpse wrote:
I recommend reading this in full, an article from back in August: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 01918/full

84% of the Japanese now wear masks in public (indoor and outdoor) according to polling last month. America isn't even at 50% yet according to a report I read yesterday. Mask-wearing has been normal in Japan (and East Asia) for many, many years, and I think before COVID-19 even started that over 40% of Japanese always wore a mask in public; and it's clearly helping them against this virus. Masks are helping, and even if they don't offer full protection, if enough of the public wear them, it helps on a tremendous scale.

But in addition to mask-wearing, the article explains how perception, and perceiving the virus as a serious threat and mask-wearing being perceived as a social norm when it may not necessarily be, both help motivate the public to do the same. This is where America, and many other countries, has really messed up, I believe. It's not about locking down. Japan was only on lockdown for about 6 weeks. Poor communication regarding the severity concerns and arguing/debating the usage of masks is the problem.

Perception is reality.

It's now been over a month in Japan since the government fully lifted capacity restrictions, not just at theaters, but at any small/medium venue. There are only restrictions on large venues like sporting arenas that can hold many tens of thousands of people at a time, but those are gradually being reduced as well.

Japan (pop. 126 million in a crowded space with nearly 40 million in the Tokyo area alone) is only recording a few hundred cases, sometimes up to 500+ range, a day since then. South Dakota, a state with a pop. under 900,000!, has been reporting similar daily cases, and have begun to report more daily cases than all of Japan. Nothing is closed in Japan. There are basically no capacity restrictions. They're still going out and enjoying their lives. They just wear masks and follow proper hand-washing and sanitary procedures 80/85% of the time.

Yes, concerts and nightclubs have been allowed since May/June. There was a capacity restriction placed on them from May-September (rising to a 5,000 audience limit), but those restrictions were filly lifted on September 8th (I think), aside from very large venues that can hold tens of thousands of people at a time.

And yes, mask-wearing is still common practice at them, too. It comes down to culture as well. As I said, mask-wearing has been apart of everyday normal life in Japan, and a lot of East Asia, for many years. 40% of Japanese were already wearing masks in public before COVID-19 to help prevent catching/the spread of other viruses that would affect them at work or school (or general healthy). COVID-19 has just increased this common practice to a very common practice, with 84% (according to a survey last month) now wearing a mask in public. It's sort of just like putting on a coat if it's chilly outside. It's normal. Mask-wearing isn't seen as "normal" in the Western world, and is instead being considered a "statement". How silly. Just look what that mindset is doing to them (myself, included).

You don't NEED to isolate yourself or shutdown anything (Japan is the oldest country in the world, the most at risk in age), really, as long as the vast majority of the population is following basic/common procedures. But when you have half of the population fighting it, obviously things will worsen for the whole population/country.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:32 am
Profile WWW

Corpse wrote:
Yes, concerts and nightclubs have been allowed since May/June. There was a capacity restriction placed on them from May-September (rising to a 5,000 audience limit), but those restrictions were filly lifted on September 8th (I think), aside from very large venues that can hold tens of thousands of people at a time.

And yes, mask-wearing is still common practice at them, too. It comes down to culture as well. As I said, mask-wearing has been apart of everyday normal life in Japan, and a lot of East Asia, for many years. 40% of Japanese were already wearing masks in public before COVID-19 to help prevent catching/the spread of other viruses that would affect them at work or school (or general healthy). COVID-19 has just increased this common practice to a very common practice, with 84% (according to a survey last month) now wearing a mask in public. It's sort of just like putting on a coat if it's chilly outside. It's normal. Mask-wearing isn't seen as "normal" in the Western world, and is instead being considered a "statement". How silly. Just look what that mindset is doing to them (myself, included).

You don't NEED to isolate yourself or shutdown anything (Japan is the oldest country in the world, the most at risk in age), really, as long as the vast majority of the population is following basic/common procedures. But when you have half of the population fighting it, obviously things will worsen for the whole population/country.

Yeah but we aren't trying to be Japan. It's ok to have a different culture where we're more outgoing and open and want to see each other's faces. A lot of other things are normal in Japan that aren't ok in Western countries and vice versa.

Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:05 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Correct, and understandable, of course. But trying to at least practice and imitate some of the successful ways other countries have succeeded in controlling the virus doesn't seem like a bad idea either. Life is a little more than just a culturally accepted idea or something.

In the end, just stating how Japan (a crowded and densely populated country, and with the oldest pop. in the world) has been able to keep the virus under control without making hardly any changes to their daily lives, while still being able to actively enjoy their hobbies (such as going to the movies) and help keep themselves and others safe and healthy from a potentially deadly virus at the same time. And it's just one example, of course.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

Once again, it's not that us don't want everyone to get sick.

We don't want them to get sick AT ONCE. What happens if your mother has a heart attack and the hospital is full of covid? She won0t get admited and die right there.

It's the oversaturation of hospitals that goverments are trying to avoid, because overcrowed hospitals mean much less quality of care and less meds to work with. That's the main difference, we can afford everyone to get sick while we wait for immunity? yes. But what happens when a hospital that has 200 beds has 195 covid patitentes? what happens to the rest of the sick patitents that need a hospital bed? they die.

That's the goal NOT TO HVE OVERSATURATED HOSPITALS. because that means mortality for ANY disease goes up.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:28 pm
Hold the door!

Mau wrote:
Once again, it's not that us don't want everyone to get sick.

We don't want them to get sick AT ONCE. What happens if your mother has a heart attack and the hospital is full of covid? She won0t get admited and die right there.

It's the oversaturation of hospitals that goverments are trying to avoid, because overcrowed hospitals mean much less quality of care and less meds to work with. That's the main difference, we can afford everyone to get sick while we wait for immunity? yes. But what happens when a hospital that has 200 beds has 195 covid patitentes? what happens to the rest of the sick patitents that need a hospital bed? they die.

That's the goal NOT TO HVE OVERSATURATED HOSPITALS. because that means mortality for ANY disease goes up.

As far as I know, the only hospitals that have been overwhelmed in any fashion were in NY/NJ at the start of the pandemic, as the virus ripped through nursing homes. It seems as long as we can keep the virus out of nursing homes, the hospitalization rate is not nearly high enough to overwhelm hospitals.

There were furloughs and dancing Nurse TikTok videos for Pete’s sake.

As long as the virus is spreading among those under 65, 1 in 1,000 or less will be hospitalized.

Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:55 pm

Do hospitals even help people with COVID? Don’t ventilators have like an 80% fatality rate?

And tbh is it worth it to torpedo our society and forero our freedoms to work and gather and live for years (what’s its looking like at this pint) for the sake of 85 year olds?

Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:38 am
Defeats all expectations

Barrabás wrote:
Do hospitals even help people with COVID? Don’t ventilators have like an 80% fatality rate?

And tbh is it worth it to torpedo our society and forero our freedoms to work and gather and live for years (what’s its looking like at this pint) for the sake of 85 year olds?

People with moderate/severe symptoms need supplemental oxygen. So, yes, hospital care can help them. Some COVID patients develop pneumonia and heart problems and will need hospitalization.

Last edited by i.hope on Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:48 am
Defeats all expectations

Hospitalizations and deaths are trending up again. I think if the government at least tries to suppress or mitigate the virus, it will boost public confidence and people will be going to the movies soon. By denying the reality and waving the white flag, the Trump administration is inducing more uncertainty.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:59 am
Forum General

Numbers are being artificially inflated prior to the election. There is really no reason to be seeing this kind of spike - summer vacations are over and flu season hasn't arrived yet.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:21 am
Extraordinary

What nonsense - there are no U.S. elections in Europe and the numbers are up here as well... Fall & winter are coming...

Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:27 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

mark66 wrote:
What nonsense - there are no U.S. elections in Europe and the numbers are up here as well... Fall & winter are coming...
You fail to account for the entire world being in on the hoax. Hundreds of thousands of satanic baby eaters actually committed suicide just to make sure Jesus 2 doesn’t spend another term in the white house.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:04 pm
Extraordinary

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
mark66 wrote:
You fail to account for the entire world being in on the hoax. Hundreds of thousands of satanic baby eaters actually committed suicide just to make sure Jesus 2 doesn’t spend another term in the white house.

True, I completely forgot...

Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

... yikes.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:10 pm

i.hope wrote:
Barrabás wrote:

People with moderate/severe symptoms need supplemental oxygen. So, yes, hospital care can help them. Some COVID patients develop pneumonia and heart problems and will need hospitalization.

Ok I did not know that, clearly I've been reading some BS online. Sorry. I just feel like I'm slowly going insane not being able to see my family or plan for the future.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:19 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Breathing problems are among the first and most visible symptoms for COVID-19 because it impacts your lungs. Your body needs to fight the virus but to do that it needs boosters that can help you generate antibodies. Your body cannot fight the virus and take care of these external factors which is primarily the cause of deaths with COVID-19. Hospitals are definitely helpful, regardless even if you are suffering from mental letdown a hospital environment can at times calm you down knowing that someone is going to take care of you.

Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:14 pm
100% That Bitch

Well... if anyone has any doubt on covid-19 and how it affects the body, y'all I'm here And willing to help out with any questions you may have regarding this.

I'm no expert on covid or anything but I can with some of your doubts.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:40 pm
Hold the door!

It’s definitely a confusing virus. My friend has it and feels like he’s been run over by a bus. His wife has it, and has the sniffles and a sore throat. He’s 22 and she’s 21. Both in excellent health.

Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:45 pm
100% That Bitch

zwackerm wrote:
It’s definitely a confusing virus. My friend has it and feels like he’s been run over by a bus. His wife has it, and has the sniffles and a sore throat. He’s 22 and she’s 21. Both in excellent health.

It completely depends on how your body reacts to it. Some nmay never know they're sick while others will feel like they're dying.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 924 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 37  Next