Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Uncut Gems 

Rate this film:
A 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Uncut Gems 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Uncut Gems

Quote:
Uncut Gems is a 2019 American crime thriller film directed by Josh and Benny Safdie, who co-wrote the screenplay with Ronald Bronstein. The film stars Adam Sandler, Kevin Garnett, Idina Menzel, Lakeith Stanfield, Julia Fox, The Weeknd, and Eric Bogosian. The plot follows Howard Ratner, a gambling addict in New York City's Diamond District, who gets in over his head with loansharks and must retrieve an expensive gem he purchased in order to pay off his debts.

Filming for the project took place from September to November of 2018. Uncut Gems had its world premiere at the Telluride Film Festival on August 30, 2019, and was theatrically released on December 13, 2019 by A24. The film received critical acclaim, with its screenplay, direction, Sandler's performance and Darius Khondji's cinematography receiving much of the praise, and was chosen by the National Board of Review as one of the top ten films of 2019, with Sandler also winning Best Actor.[6]

Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:06 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Uncut Gems
I had absolutely no desire to see this but watched a screener and enjoyed it more than I was expecting. Sandler was annoying as hell but it was fairly engaging and I thought Julia Fox was great, she's a real find.

Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:04 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

I thought it was great, very frantic and nerve wracking all the way through. Sandler deserves an Oscar nom, it's one of the best performances of the year.

Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:10 pm
Forum General

Yeah I think Good Time is a better movie overall, but I still really enjoyed this. Adam Sandler gives a great performance in this, and even though the character is a complete scumbag you do still want to kind of seem him make it out in the end. I also agree with Magnus that KG is pretty great in this as well which is probably the biggest shocker, but I loved his scene with Sandler towards the end. The Safdie Brothers have some real talent and are definitely the directors you want to look out for over the next 5 to 10 years. Oh and Julia Fox is fucking gorgeous and a pretty damn solid actress.

B+

Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:50 am
Superman: The Movie

I loved it. Yeah, Uncut Gems is not for a regular audience, especially one going in and expecting to see an “Adam Sandler” film (though I’m not sure why you’d expect one if you’ve seen a second of advertising). It certainly wasn’t for the five people who walked out of my showing. IT WAS for me though. I’m not sure if I’ve seen a more perfectly constructed and hilarious movie within the last year.

JUDD HIRSCH!!!

*Chef’s kiss*

A+

And maybe it's because I'm already anxious enough as it is, but I didn't find it anxiety inducing. Tense? Absolutely. I didn't have a panic attack like some people have claimed to have though.

One legitimate plothole though - the Celtics didn't win a championship in 2012, so how special could that rock have been to KG?

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:25 pm
Profile WWW

Nah.

Maybe his good luck charm was actually Howard all along. Once he got a bullet to the cheek the Celtics didn't have a chance.

:D

Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:37 pm
Profile WWW

A black opal, receivers, and a coach not dumb/checked out enough to call three running plays (that don't include a Brady sneak) in a row at the 1.

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:22 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

The movie is engaging, keeps one on the edge throughout. The intimate cinematography has a way of gauging the changing mood of Adam Sandler's character when he is being stalked by a series of unfortunate events. The on-location shooting and smooth transition from one location to the next provide a realism that englobes the audience into his world.

80/100

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:26 pm
Devil's Advocate

I didn't have that much fun watching it until the climax, the plots of the amount of people Howard owed money to felt messy and chaotic, and Sandler annoyed me as much as he impressed me. But I can understand what they're doing, especially after reading an interpretation of the ending. There was never going to be a happy ending for Howard except for the momentary oasis of winning a bet, he was probably just going to bet whatever money he had left and get into trouble again. There's no happiness for this person cause he cannot see the forest from the trees in any way and has absolutely on awareness of his own life due to having the maturity of a child. He got killed only because he bet the money he got from KG instead of just paying off the thugs after him and trying to go straight with Julia. In some ways it was putting him out of his misery to kill him there, at least he got to have one of the only moments of happiness he would have the rest of his life before he died. The ending therefore dramatically changes the movie for the better compared to if they had just gone with the sports movie happy ending

Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:35 am
100% That Bitch

Did this film get Netflix's release or just Mexican Netflix snatched it?

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:44 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

It's on Netflix in Singapore as well

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:20 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Netflix here in Oz too,

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:36 pm
Veteran

I’m waiting on that blu-ray release...

I was blind, but now I see.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:39 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Saw it. Now I need to see Good Time ASAP

Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:34 pm
We had our time together

MadGez wrote:

lol same here.

This was fucking great. I've seen it weeks ago and it's still in my head. Doesn't happen too often anymore. Safdie Brothers/Sandler were robbed.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:52 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Yeah you guys definitely need to see Good Time if you enjoyed this. That movie and The Lighthouse are the sole reasons why I'm so confident in Battinson.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:45 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Riggs wrote:
MadGez wrote:

lol same here.

This was fucking great. I've seen it weeks ago and it's still in my head. Doesn't happen too often anymore. Safdie Brothers/Sandler were robbed.

Yeah I’m the same. In fact I like it more now thinking about than straight after I finished the film!

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:08 pm
Keeping it Light

Great film, I saw this back in December on a screener, which wasn't ideal, so I've been wanting to see it in higher def. since. But Sandler totally nails his part and there's just no way he shouldn't get nominated by the Academy, he maybe should have won even. Julia Fox and Idina Menzel are both great in this too, and Kevin Garnett was also perfectly cast in this. The score just connects the film together in one type of dream like sequence and it's awesome to be part of the ride. Good Time made me a fan of the Safdie Brothers already, they got talent on on their side.

A-

Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:08 am
The Kramer

Sandler is a champ here. I don't know if I would have even liked the movie with a replacement level actor in there. That is the mark of a truly great performance and he should have definitely gotten a nomination, but I guess this one slipped through the cracks. B+

Fri May 29, 2020 12:13 pm
Keeping it Light

I just rewatched this last weekend and it's still great, it's just so frenetic, but the performances in this are so delectable too and I can't take my eyes away from it. It's a memorable film, the score is such a winner and I look forward to see what the Safdie's do next.

Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next