Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 The Flava'd Fifty Part 6: Kinda Being Singles in 2019 (#1!) 
The Kramer

Post Re: The Flava'd Fifty Part 6: Being a Single in 2019 (20-11)
10. The Band Camino were not one of the folks who would have had too many songs on the chart, and they also probably should have picked a better name. Still, who cares about such superficial mistakes when the studio work is anything but. This song is all about how certain things, in this case as innocent as colors, can trigger memories. That’s been a pretty common theme in music this year. We just can’t stop looking backwards. Camino are at least pushing their sound forward though, making a huge electric anthem for the very first time.

9. Ariana is the biggest beneficiary of the new rules, as she went from peaking in the upper thirties to landing a top ten slot. I had actually spent half of the original write up of 7 Rings talking about how much I like this song. So that was one of the first big steps that needed to happen, so in a way Ari earned it yet again. Anyways, I love the astronomical metaphor she uses to deflect a clingy lover. This song is a huge grower too, staying in your head and making you want to hear it all the time. Which is rather ironic given the subject matter … Fake Smile and maybe Bad Idea would have also made the top 50 if were not limited earlier.

8. I’m still not entirely sure they can pull off an entire album of Van Weezer, but hot damn did they have a good first at bat. This is not only the best song they’ve made the whole decade, but one of the best in their entire 25 year career. Not too shabby for a band that is known mostly for their old hits and covers of even older hits. I have a feeling they’re going to steal the show with this song when they tour with Green Day and Fall Out Boy. Funny enough, Weezer released two albums this year and this song isn’t on either! They definitely had a busy year.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:17 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: The Flava'd Fifty Part 6: Kinda Being Singles in 2019 (1
Bad Guy :thumbsup:

Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:35 am
The Kramer

I was thinking about going to the Browns game, but they suck and it's cold, so let's just post more songs.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:04 pm
The Kramer

Some people are a lot like clouds you know? Cause life's so much brighter when they go

7. Medicine by Bring Me The Horizon

Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:25 pm
The Kramer

I keep a window, for ya, it’s always open

6. Want You In My Room - Carly Rae Jepsen

Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:36 pm
The Kramer

Trying to lull us in, before the havoc begins Into a dubious state of serenity

5. 7empest by Tool

Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:44 pm
The Kramer

7. I’ve already mentioned how drastically Bring Me The Horizon have changed over the years, and nothing sums that up better than this song. It’s very catchy, and the kids in the black dahlia t-shirts are saying this shit aint heavy metal. But despite that, it’s still a really good rock song. Adaptation and redemption are the musical themes of the year for me, and once again, nothing sums that up quite like this song. This song could be referring to a lover, or even just a toxic friendship that they’ve referred to in the past (true friends stab you in the front after all.) And even though Oly is sitting here, wishing that they could taste their own shit just on the chance of developing some empathy, he has already won by simply being rid of them. If I had not stuck to only videos, Bring Me The Horizon would have posted a third song on here called In The Dark and maybe even a fourth and fifth with Wonderful Life and Mother Tongue.

6. The video for Want You In My Room is as adorable as the song which is as adorable as the artist who sings it. I find it puzzling that the entire country is not completely in love with this woman. This song is also relentless, clocking in at under three minutes, and forcing you to dance the entire time. In fact the outro might even come too soon, I wasn’t ready to stop, but Carly clearly wants some pretty bad and doesn’t have the time. Understandable. We men have been ending things too quickly for the span of history and if anyone deserves to reverse that it’s Miss Carly Rae Jepsen. She was also really good at picking her singles for this album, so the format change didn’t affect her too much. I’d probably throw Real Love on there somewhere, maybe No Drug Like Me, or Happy Not Knowing, or Now That I Found You…

5. Tool is the second band to be affected by the format change, though not by too much, I was originally gonna have Fear Inoculum right around here on the singles list, and that song doesn’t have a video anyways - none of them do. Cause it’s Tool so of course they don’t. I suppose they did lose out on multiple entries as Invincible and Pneuma are certainly top picks for best songs of the year as well. This nearly 16 minute behemoth known as 7empest is the standout track for me though. Tool had been gone for thirteen long years, and everyone was curious as to what they had been brewing up in that time. The answer was very long, melodic and hypnotic songs. They’re all great, but where’s the attitude, where’s the aggression that Tool is known for balancing with the hypnotic melodies? Well it’s all in the first few minutes of this track. Actually if this one cut off at about eight minutes it might even be #1 overall on the year. I love the long instrumentals, this song has some killer guitar solos, but it does go on forever. Usually the song ends before I finish my write-ups but I still have seven minutes to go here. Still, as far as 15 minute songs go, I’d already put 7empest in the top 3, only competing with Echoes by Pink Floyd and Inna Gadda Da Vida.

I'll probably be able to finish this tonight, but at the very least it will be 4-2 and #1 will go up once I awaken tomorrow.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:45 pm
The Kramer

Well I made the right decision by not going to that shit show. Can we just fire Freddie Kitchens before the next game?

5-3 coming up

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:46 pm
The Kramer

Strange thought upon a pillow

4. Sunflower by Vampire Weekend

Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:57 pm
The Kramer

Times I wonder are we just a puff of smoke?

3. Ready To Let Go by Cage The Elephant

Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:10 pm
The Kramer

4. You may be wondering why I posted three videos for Sunflower and there is a very good reason. The first is the version of the song on the album, running at about two and a half minutes, featuring Steve Lacy from The Internet (who also had a great solo album this year.) It also has Jerry Seinfeld in the video. The second is Stoneflower, the live remix of this song, which runs at about eight minutes, and sounds like it would be more at home on the Tool album. It’s also my favorite version because they are a really good live band. The third is actually just a video of Vampire Weekend covering Sunflower from Post Malone and Swae Lee, with their own Sunflower mixed into the music, and I really like it so figured I’d share that too. How Long would also be a great pick here, but Sunflower won out in the end.

3. Cage the Elephant had been steady for years, delivering #1 alternative hits like it was nothing. Then Dan Auerbach came along, showed them how to tweak a few things to really maximize their potential and while he may not have returned as producer, Cage is still following the path he walked with them. This time they’ve added a large dose of melancholy to their usual old-western vibes rock. This song is about accepting the inevitable, which in this case means divorce. Sometimes you just can’t reignite the spark. They also dealt with other personal issues during their time off, but still had to wonder if they deserve to even feel that, they’ve been pretty successful after all. But everyone is allowed to be sad, and it’s ok.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:10 pm
Devil's Advocate

I forgot about Want You In My Room... now I'm gonna listen to it 50 more times in the next week

Taylord ftw!

Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:21 pm
The Kramer

Here we are at the end, and unlike last year, when Metric ran away with everything, the battle for the top spot is very close and is almost too hard to pick (it's like this on the album side too.) The conflict between these two songs is probably a big reason for the shift in rules to begin with, and most definitely the reason for it shifting back. So, I figure, if a song is so good that it calls for a late hour rule change then it should probably be #1 right? Also, since one song is technically from the very end of 2018, it never felt totally right as my #1 of the year. So I think this all worked for the best, and that all the gods of rock will ultimately forgive me for slighting them this year in favor of another (Skywalker).

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:44 pm
The Kramer

Calling all the adamant upper-level undefeated counterfeit cunts with no reason to fear

2. All Out Life by Slipknot

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:46 pm
The Kramer

Fever dream high in the quiet of the night you know that I caught it

1. Cruel Summer by Taylor Swift

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:48 pm
The Kramer

2. All Out Life, also known as the theme song of WWE NXT, is just one of the most hype songs I’ve ever heard. Even now it feels weird to rank it #2, but the technicalities won out. HHH, or whoever is in charge of that, made a brilliant, even they weirdly start it in the middle of the song. This song was Slipknot coming back into form, and challenging the music industry as a whole for their assumed disapproval (might have wanted to wait on that though since they had the best reviews of their entire career.) And what a flex it was to not even put this song on the new album and still get those huge scores. We are not your kind indeed.

1. The theme of the year was adaptation and redemption, so you may be thinking that Taylor being #1 doesn’t exactly fit with that since she didn’t really need either of one of those. Though, even though most of her fans really enjoy Reputation, nobody wanted her feud with Kanye West to continue, and by titling this song after one of his (collaborations) albums she had everyone thinking more shots would be fire. But, with one swoop of an I Forgot That You Existed, Tay shed all that pettiness and went back to just making top-quality romance songs. So in a way this is kind of a two-parter, with Cruel Summer being her Last Jedi, letting the past die and moving on with what makes her happy now. And I’m sure thinking about Joe Alwyn all the time is a lot healthier for our girl than constantly brooding over her rival. Taylor found some new feuds after the album was released, and I’m sure we’ll hear all about that in about two years, but for now we can just enjoy a burden-free Taylor singing about falling in love all over again.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:58 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: The Flava'd Fifty Part 6: Kinda Being Singles in 2019 (#
Full list-

1. Cruel Summer - Taylor Swift
2. All Out Life - Slipknot
3. Ready to let go - Cage the Elephant
4. Sunflower - Vampire Weekend
5. 7empest - Tool
6. Want you in my room - Carly Rae Jepsen
7. Medicine - Bring Me The Horizon
8. End of the game - Weezer
9. NASA - Ariana Grande
10. Daphne Blue - The Band Camino
11. Its Not Living If Its Not With You - The 1975
12. Icy - Kim Petras
13. Unsainted - Slipknot
14. Bad Guy - Billie Eilish
15. This Land - Gary Clark
16. Lottery - Jade Bird
17. I dare you - The Regrettes
18. Too Much - Carly Rae Jepsen
19. Suge - DaBaby
20. Speedboat - Denzel Curry
21. New Comedown - Plague Vendor
22. Sanguine Paradise - Lil Uzi Vert
23. South of the Border - Ed Sheeran
24. Give A Little - Maggie Rogers
25. Don’t Start Now - Dua Lipa
26. GIRL - Marren Morris
27. Taste of Regret - Of Mice and Men
28. Ghost - Au/Ra x Alan Walker
29. Low - Wage War
30. Mantra - Bring Me The Horizon
31. Harmony Hall - Vampire Weekend
32. Follow God - Kanye West
33. 101 FM - Little Simz
34. Hardly To Blame - Sheer Mag
35. Turn the Light - Danger Mouse
36. All The Good Girls Go To Hell - Billie Eilish
37. You’re Different - The Shelters
38. 7 Rings - Ariana Grande
39. Lo/Hi - The Black Keys
40, Drunk II - Mannaquin Pussy
41. I’ll Be Back Someday - Tegan & Sara
42. Radio - Rammstein
43. Speechless - Naomi Scott
44. Crowbar - Frank Carter
45. Never Really Over - Katy Perry
46. Gone - Charli XCX
47. Pa Pa Ya - Babymetal
48. Faraway Look - Yola
49. Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
50. Hard Place - HER

Thanks for tuning in for another year! Sorry about how disjointed it all became, but I think it kinda worked out. We got a lot of different artists instead of the same 10 over and over yet also still got the right songs at the top. I see this as an absolute win and Hulk agrees.

Taylor, Slipknot, Carly, Tool, Vamps, Cage, Ari and BMTH will all clash once again on my albums of the year when I do that next week. :)

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:06 pm
Devil's Advocate

I didn't realize she released Cruel Summer as a single

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:29 pm
100% That Bitch

Girl, Cruel Summer wasn't a single BUT YAS AT IT BEING#1!

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:42 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I think you have a thing for CRJ.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:52 am
The Kramer

Chippy wrote:
I think you have a thing for CRJ.
Yeah I do. In my pants.

*High five*

Also, Cruel Summer wasn't a single but it fought its way back on anyways.

Also, also - top albums of the year are posted on the main site!

http://wokj.worldofkj.com/the-top-25-albums-of-2019/

1. Carly
2. Taylor
3. Slipknot
4. Vampire Weekend
5. Tool

So basically all the same people.

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:33 pm
Keeping it Light

Post Re: The Flava'd Fifty Part 6: Being a Single in 2019 (40-26)
Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Did a full 180, crazy, thinking bout the way I was

25. Don't Start Now by Dua Lipa

Just heard this yesterday for the first time I think...great song.

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4