Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Barry (HBO) 
Devil's Advocate

Post Barry (HBO)
I thought this was outstanding, and at a compact 8 episodes of 30 minutes easy to watch. Definitely one of the best Breaking Bad successors in terms of every decision having a consequence and makes him more delusional that he can just get away with it, but somehow very funny even at the darkest points. Hader deserves to win the Best Actor Comedy Emmy

Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:59 pm
New Server, Same X

Post Re: Barry (HBO)
This show is incredible. I expected to enjoy it but not as much as I did. Hader is terrific, and so is Henry Winkler, who just scored his first major acting Emmy nod since Happy Days (he has a few guest acting nods from almost 20 years ago). Disappointing that Sarah Goldberg didn't get recognized, she matches Hader a lot. He struggles as a hitman trying to live a normal life with his newfound love of acting, and she struggles as an actress that wants to catch some sort of a break.

I'm curious to see where it goes. Where Cranston's Walter White gradually declined into the villain, it seems Hader's intent is to make a "villainous" character into a good guy.

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:40 pm
The Kramer

This is my #1 of the year so far.

Really sad ending though.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:22 pm
The Kramer

Hader and Winkler both won Emmys, but it lost Best Comedy.

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:39 am
Devil's Advocate

Nice premiere

I didn't catch the first time that after Fuches did his whole "Do you have a court order for my DNA?" patting himself on the back, he handed them his can of coke :funny:

Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:37 pm
Keeping it Light

Yeah, I was enjoying it a lot too. Can't wait till next week.

Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:43 am
Forum General

Yeah the premiere episode was great. Hank is still awesome and that bit between Hader and Sasha was hilarious.

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:37 am
New Server, Same X

Jesus this show is so good. And it doesn't hurt that they have some incredibly talented actors. Hader and Winkler won Emmys, but Sarah Goldberg and Stephen Root are just as fantastic. Goldberg reminds me a bit of Rhea Seehorn in that neither can break through and get nominated because they aren't seen at the level of their co-stars and their recognition, but both deserve accolades.

It took Hader a few years after SNL to shine, but it was worth the wait.

Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:52 pm
Forum General

Lol this weeks episode was fucking amazing IMO. Loved all the crazy, weird stuff with the feral daughter, and Daniel Biernhardt showing up was a really nice surprise.

Wed May 01, 2019 2:09 am
Keeping it Light

That was a great episode indeed, came pretty much out of nowhere too, the show is so good at being darkly funny.

Thu May 02, 2019 7:57 am
Forum General

Man I think I loved this season even more than the first. So much was happening and I never found a single episode dull. Bill Hader was fantastic as always, but Stephen Root really stood out this season and I loved the stuff with Harry Winkler's character this season as well. The stuff with Hank was great too, especially all the scenes he had with the Chechen army lol.

I'm also really curious to see where they go with Sally's character next season, because some really interesting things happened with her in that finale.

Wed May 22, 2019 10:32 pm
Keeping it Light

Yeah, it's a very solid show, continues the story well and every episode has both equally funny and dark stuff to marvel in. Hader is great, but my favorite character is definitely Hank, it can be a bit ott, but I haven't grown tired of it yet.

Tue May 28, 2019 9:37 am
New Server, Same X

Just binged the last four episodes. Man this show is so good. It really captures some of the best qualities of Breaking Bad in a totally new way. And like that show, it boasts one of the most stellar casts, a cast you really wouldn't expect to give some incredible performances. I hope Hader and Winkler pull off repeat Emmy wins this year, but nominations for Sarah Goldberg, Stephen Root and Anthony Carrigan are in order too. Like Kim Wexler on Better Call Saul, there are times when I'm so mesmerized by Goldberg's Sally that she steals the show and the scenes.

Winkler's performance in the finale was flawless. He perfectly conveyed the joy that Janice brought into his life, and the sorrow it brought him when she was taken from it.

And they have some of the best WTF moments, where you can't imagine how things will work out. It was pretty obvious Fuches told Gene that Barry did it, but I hope the show doesn't cop out and have Barry undo that next season with a BS excuse. It should remain in Gene's mind and be something else insurmountable that Barry must overcome when eventually confronted with it.

Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:19 pm
The Kramer

Best show on TV. The ronnie/lily episode alone would have earned that title but every one was great.

Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:38 pm
New Server, Same X

I rewatched Season 1 and I'm onto rewatching Season 2 now. What a wonderful show. I really hope they can keep it going.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:57 pm
New Server, Same X

Just re-watched "ronny/lily". What a perfect half hour of television.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:26 pm
New Server, Same X

Finished my re-watch of the series. Incredible show. "ronny/lily" is one of the finest half hours in television.

Still wondering where they go with the Barry revelation for Gene. He could easily say that Fuches lied to him to cover his own ass, but I'd imagine Season 3 will have Gene questioning everything about Barry, right from when he first wandered into his life.

Barry Berkman is the reverse Walter White, trying to be a better person, but I ultimately think Barry will suffer a tragic end. Maybe not death, but definitely being put away. He's done too many bad things to not pay for them. A happy ending would ruin the show.

Still can't say enough positive things about this cast.

Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:22 pm
The Kramer

Season 3 ends with Barry killing Gene, I can't see any other way around it. Sally will be the one who bring him down since he will never see it coming from someone as self-absorbed as she is.

Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:59 am
Devil's Advocate

I can see a soft reboot at some point where it jumps forward in time and he's a celebrity actor. It does feel like the current storyline is meant to end sooner than later.

Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:33 am
Devil's Advocate

Love this season so far, there is so many small directing choices or extras being in the middle fo a conversation that take it to another level.

Mon May 02, 2022 3:14 am
Devil's Advocate

Think I got it all

Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:31 pm
The Kramer

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Season 3 ends with Barry killing Gene, I can't see any other way around it. Sally will be the one who bring him down since he will never see it coming from someone as self-absorbed as she is.
Happy to be wrong! Sally was almost the mvp of the season too. Great character development. But the beignet guy, whose name I can't even remember, put an entire Mike Trout season of huge numbers in one episode so he wins the award.

Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:10 pm
Devil's Advocate

I wasn't sure about the start of the season but I loved everything after the bold time jump and the dark last episode before the jump. The way Barry, Sally, Gene Hank, Fuches all had key roles to play in the end and the characters relationships with their previous selves was great.

Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:54 pm
The Kramer

This will be my next watch now that all the episodes are out. Very excited to see how it all ends!

Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:36 pm
The Kramer

The cops raiding dave and busters was a classic Barry LOL.

Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]